• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Calling someone a punk is not the same as calling someone a thug. Calling someone a thug has racial implications...it's a racial stereotype and shouldn't be used to label any black man who's attitude you don't like.

I know, something something Barea. But being a dirty player doesn't make you a thug...I don't remember people calling Bill Lambier or Rick Mahorn a thug.

I'm sorry to call you out on this, but after vilifying Treyvon Martin in this same exact way...while not calling Zimmerman a thug although he's gotten into drunken altercations and bar fights...people should be more sensitive with the word choices they use

Mahorn, Lambier, McHale, and a host of others who played that way weren't called thugs. You can think what you want to think, but it doesn't make it the truth. "Thug" is a term used almost exclusively to label brown and black men and as such, shouldn't be used so liberally. Like i said, if you want to call him dirty, or a punk, that's fine. There's a fundamental difference

Requoting this...

Wtfffff, stop defending Bynum

the only thing I care about is whether or not we can still use the word thuggery happily and freely

wouldnt want to hurt vag's feelings or anything

J2 Cool

Laimbeer wasn't a thug, he was "sneaky". Rodman was dirty as hell, annoying. Barkley was a loudmouth, competitive, temperamental bully. Ron Artest is crazy. Bynum's inspires a different reaction. It wasn't to get his head into a game (Barkley usually, Artest at his best), wasn't to send a message (McHale), wasn't to annoy his opponent (Laimbeer, Rodman). That's and his taking his shirt off as he walked off defiantly, are why Bynum's actions were called thuggish. There was no competitive edge being gained, it was taking his frustrations out on a dude 5'10".

LuchaShaq

Banned
I know, something something Barea. But being a dirty player doesn't make you a thug...I don't remember people calling Bill Lambier or Rick Mahorn a thug.

e

Agree that is often comes from a bullshit place like generalizing the whole nba as thugs, that's racist as fuck.

That said I would definitely refer to Bill Lambier as a thug and basically always have. Just because some people use the word in racist ways doesn't mean it's not applicable to a guy like Bill Lambier, or Danny Fortson (remember his crazy stretch of flagrants that injured guys).

I love Lowry, but the Jazz are winning nothing until their defense gets to not terrible and moving Jefferson and starting Favors is really the only way that will happen.

Agree that is often comes from a bullshit place like generalizing the whole nba as thugs, that's racist as fuck.

That said I would definitely refer to Bill Lambier as a thug and basically always have. Just because some people use the word in racist ways doesn't mean it's not applicable to a guy like Bill Lambier, or Danny Fortson (remember his crazy stretch of flagrants that injured guys).

the only thing i remember about fortson was the mavs getting completly fleeced by him

actually that wAs lafrentz. fort came in a trade

Cloudy

Banned
http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/...2-success-derrick-rose-raises-issues-2011-mvp

Just over a year ago, my colleague John Hollinger wrote a piece making the statistical argument that Derrick Rose should not be the league's MVP. (Insiders can still read it here.) Needless to say, he ticked off a lot of Bulls fans who celebrated Chicago's best-in-the-league record (the Bulls finished a game better than San Antonio last season) and Rose's coronation as the NBA Most Valuable Player two months later. Some argued with Hollinger during one of his chats, and that chat ended up on other blogs, such as SB Nation.

This year, Rose has missed more than a third of the season because of injury, and the Bulls again have the best record in the league. So I wonder if those irritated fans are having any second thoughts yet.

Popcorn-09-Psych.gif

Blackface

Banned
Said it last year, Rose was not MVP. Anyone who is in a top 3 team in each conference should have an equal shot at MVP. This horse shit where it generally goes to the best player on the best team is a load of garbage.

Brooks or Thibs should win COTY.

Although I would not be surprised if Gregg Popovich wins it. Can't believe what he can pull off with old ass players and guys nobody wanted.

Fellas, fellas, fellas. Lets not get out of hand.

Sure, the Spurs might have the best record in the West for a second consecutive year, but giving them awards would go against the narrative that they're "under the radar." They'll end this year with an all-star reserve and thats it. No COTY, no MIP, no DPOTY, no one on the all-NBA teams, no 6moty, nothing.

What Thibs has done in 2 years is obviously more impressive than what Pop has done in almost 2 decades. Of course he should double up on Pop in COTYs, especially when guys like Jerry Sloan, Rudy T, and Rick Adelman have never won the award. Its not about whos the best coach, the award goes to coaches who drastically improved his team's record. So it should go to Thibs. Sure, the improvement happened last year, but there is no other coach for us to snub Pop for, and its just so exciting to have basketball back in Chicago, that we should just give it to him again.

DMczaf

Cavaliers with LeBron James: 61-21
Cavaliers without LeBron James: 17-65

I didn't say Lebron didn't deserve it either. I just hate these type of articles where they're shitting on Rose to make their point, instead of focusing on Lebron's season. Lebron has like a paragraph in it. I guess a "Lebron is killing it!" article won't get that many hits?

Fellas, fellas, fellas. Lets not get out of hand.

Sure, the Spurs might have the best record in the West for a second consecutive year, but giving them awards would go against the narrative that they're "under the radar." They'll end this year with an all-star reserve and thats it. No COTY, no MIP, no DPOTY, no one on the all-NBA teams, no 6moty, nothing.

What Thibs has done in 2 years is obviously more impressive than what Pop has done in almost 2 decades. Of course he should double up on Pop in COTYs, especially when guys like Jerry Sloan, Rudy T, and Rick Adelman have never won the award. Its not about whos the best coach, the award goes to coaches who drastically improved his team's record. So it should go to Thibs. Sure, the improvement happened last year, but there is no other coach for us to snub Pop for, and its just so exciting to have basketball back in Chicago, that we should just give it to him again.
Yeah, but no one cares about the city of San Antonio, much less the basketball team.

I didn't say Lebron didn't deserve it either. I just hate these type of articles where they're shitting on Rose to make their point, instead of focusing on Lebron's season. Lebron has like a paragraph in it.

Certain people shit on Rose because he got massively overhyped last year by people who don't understand that there's more to basketball than volume scoring. The amount of hate Rose has gotten in the last two years from stat guys pales in comparison to the amount of hate Rose's "shitty" supporting cast got last year from some of the media and those guys without Rose might be the second best team in the East.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Certain people shit on Rose because he got massively overhyped last year by people who don't understand that there's more to basketball than volume scoring. The amount of hate Rose has gotten in the last two years from stat guys pales in comparison to the amount of hate Rose's "shitty" supporting cast got last year from some of the media and those guys without Rose might be the second best team in the East.
So Boozer is amazing? Fuckin' right!

thekad

Banned

It feels good being vindicated.

But they only win 68% of their games when he's not playing. They suck!

Yeah, but no one cares about the city of San Antonio, much less the basketball team.

Yeah, sorry TCB, but fuck the Spurs. I've been waiting for them to disappear for years now. Do it already, damn it!

You guys are now qualified to have a vote in NBA awards.

Congratulations. It must be an honor to be a part of such a fair and prestigious process.

But they only win 68% of their games when he's not playing. They suck!

Or maybe the Central Division is just that easy?

You guys are now qualified to have a vote in NBA awards.

Congratulations. It must be an honor to be a part of such a fair and prestigious process.
Pop's not going to win because he does it year after year. There's no story, no flair in voting for him.

For the record I think its cool that the Spurs are successful. Its good to have a model organization out there to shut up all the idiots who think that you need to be in a big market to win.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Top Bottom