• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

So since Kobe couldn't play tonight, Bynum decided to make up for the lack of his shooting touch?

Can we stop talking about the offense. Shooting near 50% and 89 points at the beginning of the 4th.

The problem is 100% defense. And has been that way for a while, now.

Phx with over 100 and only 2 TOs and shooting a high % from 3.

It really sucks how the Lakers offense is good now and their defense is complete shit.

At least it's a bit more fun to watch them lose this way.

Bynum took 26 shots? Damn.

Pau has 20.

was Kobe really this much of a defensive presence for this team?? I mean jesus

No, he's been part of the problem, too. The entire team has stopped for a month.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Can we stop talking about the offense. Shooting near 50% and 89 points at the beginning of the 4th.

We're not talking about the offensive system - just how they look and execute without Kobe's presence. There is a difference.

We're not talking about the offensive system - just how they look and execute without Kobe's presence. There is a difference.

You're telling me taking out one of the all-time great offensive players changes how the offense looks?

I hear water is wet, too. Confirm?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It really sucks how the Lakers offense is good now and their defense is complete shit.

At least it's a bit more fun to watch them lose this way.

Pau has 20.
That's a lot too, but I guess someone had to pick up the slack. Seems to have had a good game too.

Emwitus

I'm not even mad. FO better trade bynum the first chance they get. You can change a player's game but can't change the player.

Emwitus

Why the bloody hell does sessions keep going under the screen??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHY?

You are guarding steve nash?

Why the bloody hell does session keep going under the screen??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHY?

Cuz that's the defensive design. The big is supposed to hedge hard, but the bigs aren't hedging anymore. They're not helping Ramon like they're supposed to do.

122. lmao.

Emwitus

Cuz that's the defensive design. The big is supposed to hedge hard, by the bigs aren't hedging anymore.

122. lmao.

When has that EVER Worked??? Didn't they do the same thing with chris paul? Seriously? I know it's a freaking defensive design....doesn't mean it's any less stupid. Again, why would you leave a big on steve nash?

101107101802914868.gif

When has that EVER Worked??? Didn't they do the same thing with chris paul? Seriously? I know it's a freaking defensive design....doesn't mean it's any less stupid.

No and yes, Phil's defensive design was to either talk and switch or go under, with the big positioned in a way to make the guy think about going the other way.

Under Brown, the bigs are supposed to hedge hard, giving a pseudo-double, with hands up to prevent pass until the PG gets back in position, then big runs back (with the other big or SF helping him until then).

But the bigs have completely stopped doing it most of the game. Notice how many times Laker bigs are guarding PGs the last few weeks versus the first 2 months?

The team has made a conscience effort to stop playing defense hard. Whether they're tired or saving themselves, I dunno, but they're not playing with the same mentality. When they had Fisher, he was so bad on offense that they had to play hard every night. Now with Ramon (and even Ron scoring more), they scaled back

At least, I hope they're saving it. Because if they're not, they've fucked in the playoffs.

edit: Memphis has a real shot at the 3 seed now. If that happens, look out.

Emwitus

No and yes, Phil's defensive design was to either talk and switch or go under, with the big positioned in a way to make the guy think about going the other way.

Under Brown, the bigs are supposed to hedge hard, giving a pseudo-double, with hands up to prevent pass until the PG gets back in position, then big runs back (with the other big or SF helping him until then).

But the bigs have completely stopped doing it most of the game. Notice how many times Laker bigs are guarding PGs the last few weeks versus the first 2 months?

The team has made a conscience effort to stop playing defense hard. Whether they're tired or saving themselves, I dunno, but they're not playing with the same mentality. When they had Fisher, he was so bad on offense that they had to play hard every night. Now with Ramon (and even Ron scoring more), they scaled back

At least, I hope they're saving it. Because if they're not, they've fucked in the playoffs.

Mamba, this happened all through the playoffs and everytime we play the clippers during this regular season or any other team that has been smart enough to design that play.

Then why the fuck are you talking about the offense?

I'm not? I'm talking about defense.

Mamba, this happened all through the playoffs and everytime we play the clippers during this regular season or any other team that has been smart enough to design that play.

Guarding CP3 is impossible. What else do you want them to do? if they go over the screen, CP3 has a step and gets in the paint.

It's impossible to play singular defense against anyone with screens in today's NBA. Notice how Ramon has gotten a bunch of layups off a screen and his defender going over it?

Speed does that. You can only really counter that with elite athleticism and length.

Emwitus

edit: Memphis has a real shot at the 3 seed now. If that happens, look out.

That's what they are supposed to do but have never done. I'd rather we leave a guy like gortat open inside the paint where another big can cover him than leave a guy like nash or paul with a big.

EDIT: And it's pretty much what miami does to force turn overs.

That's what they are supposed to do but have never done. I'd rather we leave a guy like gortat open inside the paint where another big can cover him than leave a guy like nash or paul with a big.

Yes, that is exactly what Brown's defense is designed to do. But the bigs aren't doing it the last few weeks. They're actively not following the defense, leaving Ramon out to dry.

They're tired or saving their legs. That's what happens when you're relied on for 2 months. Tonight was 8th game in 11 nights, too.

Emwitus

Anyway, i already admitted our team is not going anywhere. Atleast metta seems to have gotten out of his slump the past few games. His defence and offense have been equally superb. I'm hoping bynum gets traded next season but not sure who i'd want in return. He doesn't seem like he will ever grow up and that attitude in the playoffs is a recipe for failure.

Canuck76

Banned
Just got back from the Hornets/Wolves game. Great game. Jason smith makes some good jumpers, hustle plays to shut this wolves team down. Monty actually let's Gordon play once he knows the wolves want to tank more. I think Jarret and Vasquez should both have a spot on the Andre Miller all underrated pg team. Jack's been putting up good numbers consistently and Vasquez had a great game tonight with 10 assists and i believe 10 pts.

I know our second 1st pick people are saying we should take a chris paul successor but i think were good at pg for a while with those guys. Terrence jones would be a better option for that pick if we get MKG like were most likely to.

New Orleans Arena is actually way bigger than i thought and was probably about 30 to 45% full tonight. Great area outside the arena for a nice jazz band/ different contests to win free stuff. Best part looked to be a season ticket holder beer garden. While i didn't try any food they did look to have a great selection of different seafood and drinks. Also they should really change all the names back, new orleans jazz, Charlotte hornets, and just screw Utah over with the Bobcats. But a lot of jazz bands, one outside before, one inside during warm ups and random one outsides after.

Some nice touches, every time Kama scored they had a Chewbacca sound with a visual of Chewy. Funny moment where JJ tried to flop and the ref just put his hands up like "no bro that don't fly"

Just got back from the Hornets/Wolves game. Great game. Jason smith makes some good jumpers, hustle plays to shut this wolves team down. Monty actually let's Gordon play once he knows the wolves want to tank more. I think Jarret and Vasquez should both have a spot on the Andre Miller all underrated pg team. Jack's been putting up good numbers consistently and Vasquez had a great game tonight with 10 assists and i believe 10 pts.

I know our second 1st pick people are saying we should take a chris paul successor but i think were good at pg for a while with those guys. Terrence jones would be a better option for that pick if we get MKG like were most likely to.

New Orleans Arena is actually way bigger than i thought and was probably about 30 to 45% full tonight. Great area outside the arena for a nice jazz band/ different contests to win free stuff. Best part looked to be a season ticket holder beer garden. While i didn't try any food they did look to have a great selection of different seafood and drinks. Also they should really change all the names back, new orleans jazz, Charlotte hornets, and just screw Utah over with the Bobcats. But a lot of jazz bands, one outside before, one inside during warm ups and random one outsides after.

Some nice touches, every time Kama scored they had a Chewbacca sound with a visual of Chewy. Funny moment where JJ tried to flop and the ref just put his hands up like "no bro that don't fly"

I thought you were a Blazers' fan...

(fucking amphetamines)

Cloudy

Banned
Radical idea to improve the Lakers bench:

Bench Pau and Metta. Why?

- Barnes can actually hit wide open 3s while Metta can't and seems to have success when he gets touches around the hoop

- I feel Bynum and Pau just get in each other's way. Why not put Pau with the bench where he's not relegated to a jumpshooter?

- Put Ebanks and Goudelock back in the rotation. Why are we cutting it down to 8 guys when our big 3 play so many minutes?

Lineup would be:

Sessions/Kobe/Barnes/McBob/Bynum

Blake/Ebanks/Ron/Murphy/Pau with Goudelock getting PT

- Barnes can actually hit wide open 3s while Metta can't and seems to have success when he gets touches around the hoop

- I feel Bynum and Pau just get in each other's way. Why not put Pau with the bench where he's not relegated to a jumpshooter?

- Put Ebanks and Goudelock back in the rotation. Why are we cutting it down to 8 guys when our big 3 play so many minutes?

Lineup would be:

Just put Kobe on the bench and start Ebank

Lineup would be:

this ain't courtrivals

Emwitus

LOL I remember when people were laughing and saying boston might drop out of the playoffs and that THE KNICKS had a better chance than boston to make the playoffs. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Sorry knicks fans, lets all languish in our first round exits.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
LOL I remember when people were laughing and saying boston might drop out of the playoffs and that THE KNICKS had a better chance than boston to make the playoffs. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. Sorry knicks fans, lets all languish in our first round exits.

Boston could easily take down Atlanta.

But Orlando will move back up now with Ryno back so its moot!

Top Bottom