• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

Jdez15

Banned
Not having the most ping pong balls got them Kyrie Irving last year. It will get them Anthony Davis this year.

Oh ya, were bound to get the 1st overall pick again. It will take about 4 more years of hoaxed lotteries until it can make up for you know who. But foreal, Kyrie was an amazing pick and I'm so glad we didn't choose Williams (lots of people wanted to).

I think this was posted earlier but heres the full quote:

Brian T. Smith said:
San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich's not a big fan of being asked about "keys to the game." For the second consecutive contest, the uncompromising Popovich received the same question. Sunday, he was in top form. Monday was quote-of-the-year worthy.

Popovich on Sunday, asked about 'keys to the game': You're kidding? … Score more points than them. Play hard. Come on. This is ridiculous.

Popovich on Monday: Did you ask me that last night? Say whatever you want. It's transition D. It's making shots. Don't turn it over. It's all bullshit. Have more points than they do, that's the key. Just make it up and say I said it. I don't care.

So badass.

Moving up in that draft was one of the worse things that happened to the Sixers.

Could have stayed at 6 and picked Monroe or G-TYME.

but nope...got "lucky" and got Turner.

yay

edit: Who apparently just got benched for Meeks again...

lol.

Fuck you Doug Collins.

Jeff-DSA

I always hate the keys to the game graphic.

It's like there's 6 things they have to pull from, and they pick three.

- LIMIT TURNOVERS
- CONTROL THE PACE
- CONTROL THE GLASS
- STOP THE FAST BREAK
- LIMIT PENETRATION TO THE LANE
- SOME AWFUL CLICHE ABOUT THE OTHER TEAM'S STAR PLAYER AND HOW YOU SHOULD LIMIT HIS SCORING

- LIMIT TURNOVERS
- CONTROL THE PACE
- CONTROL THE GLASS
- STOP THE FAST BREAK
- SOME AWFUL CLICHE ABOUT THE OTHER TEAM'S STAR PLAYER AND HOW YOU SHOULD LIMIT HIS SCORING

My favorite is "MAKE SHOTS" Truly some bold insight there.

- LIMIT TURNOVERS
- CONTROL THE PACE
- CONTROL THE GLASS
- STOP THE FAST BREAK

-PLAY FOR THE FULL 48 MINUTES

Canuck76

Banned
Moving up in that draft was one of the worse things that happened to the Sixers.

Could have stayed at 6 and picked Monroe or G-TYME.

but nope...got "lucky" and got Turner.

yay

edit: Who apparently just got benched for Meeks again...

lol.

Fuck you Doug Collins.

Oh my God just watched that NBA draft video recently. Jrue was SO EXCITED TO MOVE UP TO 2ND WHAT DURANT LIKE PLAYER WOULD THEY PICK OH MY GOD

Turner.

Oh my God just watched that NBA draft video recently. Jrue was SO EXCITED TO MOVE UP TO 2ND WHAT DURANT LIKE PLAYER WOULD THEY PICK OH MY GOD

Turner.

I wonder what he would have felt like if they got Wall?

Wall: Your job is mine.

But fun fact: Jrue totally wanted favors. That's the feel I get from most of the team with Turner. Don't think anyone likes the guy hence they let Doug destroy his soul.

Yup

but it will be around forever.

It allows em to sell more ads.

I'd just be happy if 20s TO's really went for 20 seconds.

Ads have gotten completely out of control

Like, its actually starting to make it tough to sit through a game

Just watch the Spurs/Jazz game from last night. The commentators seemlessly transitioned to ads while the play was happening. And so deceptively that you would think it was part of the commentary; the color guy said something like "you know what'd be good right now play-by-play guy? [insert ad]" as if he was about to make a remark about the game. There was a big graphic during play as well, which covered a third of the screen, and lasted probably 15 seconds.

There is a top play, best bench player, best hands, best pass, everything. And the pregame and 3rd quarter starts are all sponsored. They revisited the "keys to the game" in the 3rd quarter not between timeouts or free throws, but after a score. We missed an entire play because of it (and the next one was in a small box).

The chairs on the bench, the shoes of the players, the sideline banners, the graphics around the stadium, the area behind the hoop, everything. I know they haven't done ads on jerseys yet but tbh I don't know what ELSE they could do. Its the only thing left.

diehard

Fleer
I wonder what he would have felt like if they got Wall?

Wall: Your job is mine.

But fun fact: Jrue totally wanted favors. That's the feel I get from most of the team with Turner. Don't think anyone likes the guy hence they let Doug destroy his soul.

True Story, i desperately wanted Turner and thought Hayward was the token "hard worker" pick.

giri

Ads have gotten completely out of control

Like, its actually starting to make it tough to sit through a game

Just watch the Spurs/Jazz game from last night. The commentators seemlessly transitioned to ads while the play was happening. And so deceptively that you would think it was part of the commentary; the color guy said something like "you know what'd be good right now play-by-play guy? [insert ad]" as if he was about to make a remark about the game. There was a big graphic during play as well, which covered a third of the screen, and lasted probably 15 seconds.

There is a top play, best bench player, best hands, best pass, everything. And the pregame and 3rd quarter starts are all sponsored. They revisited the "keys to the game" in the 3rd quarter not between timeouts or free throws, but after a score. We missed an entire play because of it (and the next one was in a small box).

The chairs on the bench, the shoes of the players, the sideline banners, the graphics around the stadium, the area behind the hoop, everything. I know they haven't done ads on jerseys yet but tbh I don't know what ELSE they could do. Its the only thing left.

True story, they're putting it to a vote this year to sell ad space on jerseys.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
What i can do is show you numerous instances (Detroit) where players not demanding a trade but putting faith in their FO (Celtics) to make the right trades, at the right time and acquire a whole bunch of complimentary pieces (Dallas) has actually led to them getting further, more regularly successful (Spurs) than any of the demand a trade scenarios (Melo) where those players made their FO make trades to win now (LBJ) before they left (CP3), and the team turned into an absolute shit fest mis-match (Bosh), then the team they went to (Deron) was gutted and not that great after their arrival.

But no, you're right, LMA should demand a trade, it's worked out SO well.

Well said.

I was on board with the appreciation train until someone had to bring in wrestling .gifs. The only things worse are the ponies.

i6lkUvb2SJEAI.gif

I got your back, Frankman!

- LIMIT TURNOVERS
- CONTROL THE PACE
- CONTROL THE GLASS
- STOP THE FAST BREAK

Lakers have an added

POUND IT INSIDE WITH YOUR BIGS

Stu's views, baby!

he actually adds stuff like, come out strong tonight and stuff like that, too.

Barrage

Oh, cool. We're going to drag it off topic. Your original bitch is that LMA is fine with rebuilding rather than demanding a trade.

Dirk was also happy with this.

Show me a situation where it's worked? where the best player on a team demanded a trade pubclicly and left for another, and it worked out for him immediately?

Wilt Chamberlain. Kareem Abdul-Jabaar. Charles Barkley.

Now, instead of using examples that don't fit the Portland situation AT ALL, like the Spurs, Mavs, or Sixers, let me ask you a question.

Show me ONE example, where a player that was supposed to be a franchise player Failed, stayed on a team through a rebuild, got players THROUGH THE DRAFT (as Lemarcus suggests is the key), who then developed and helped that player win a championship. And if your choice is the shadiness of the David Robinson tank year, i'd keep looking.

But, please, post more Rock.gifs and rhetorical questions. They sure prove you right.

giri

Now, instead of using examples that don't fit the Portland situation AT ALL, like the Spurs, Mavs, or Sixers, let me ask you a question.

Show me ONE example, where a player that was supposed to be a franchise player Failed, stayed on a team through a rebuild, got players THROUGH THE DRAFT (as Lemarcus suggests is the key), who then developed and helped that player win a championship. And if your choice is the shadiness of the David Robinson tank year, i'd keep looking.

But, please, post more Rock.gifs and rhetorical questions. They sure prove you right.

With out giving this 2 seconds of thought.

Paul Pierce

The celtics turned Al Jefferson into KG, and i forget what they traded for Ray Allen. But Paul Pierce could easily have had a hissy fit and demanded a trade. Didn't. And they had Perk and Rondo.

I'd say it worked out pretty well for him.

Or do you want me to keep going?

I can provide instances of your theory not working 100 times. But there are so many versions of the opposite working, you can even exclude one you think is "shady" or what ever.

Celtics are 29th in offense, Heat should be pretty ashamed of that quarter.

lol come on, it took Kareem four years to get a relevant team in LA and you know how they got a relevant core around Kareem? By getting Magic Johnson through the draft.

When did ESPN start overlaying the shot clock on the floor? Seems stupid since players block the view of it and there is already one on the score graphic.

Top Bottom