• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

and that's why I feel so little sympathy for athletes who go broke

Yep

31245463_1_los-angeles-dodgers-frank-mccourt-franchise.jpeg

Jeff Van Gundy calls out Dy.

Worked for San Antonio.

Jelly because the guys on our team actually like eachother. The timberwolves are the only other team that can make that claim. Kind of sad when you think about it.

Bulls are one of the closest knit groups in the league according to everything people have observed/said.

What are you talking about???

Jeff-DSA

is jar your initials and 1/55 the dob for you?

No...not exactly.

The 155 is from when I was playing in a basketball league and decided to have some fun on an April 1st game. I was normally number 15, but I got some white shiny tape and made an extra 5 on my jersey. It looked totally legit. The game started and about 2 minutes in I fouled a guy and the ref goes, "That's a foul on blue, number one, five....five?"

He then gave me a technical foul and sent me off to fix my jersey with a warning that if I ever did that again it would be an instant double technical. The next week my friend changed his 00 to 0000, as a jab at the ref, but he didn't laugh and ejected him from the game during warmups. I've used the number 155 ever since when I've needed a number on things.

But yeah, jar would be my initials. Oh, and funny you bring up my DOB. Today's actually my birthday. I'm a young 31 today.

giri

No...not exactly.

The 155 is from when I was playing in a basketball league and decided to have some fun on an April 1st game. I was normally number 15, but I got some white shiny tape and made an extra 5 on my jersey. It looked totally legit. The game started and about 2 minutes in I fouled a guy and the ref goes, "That's a foul on blue, number one, five....five?"

He then gave me a technical foul and sent me off to fix my jersey with a warning that if I ever did that again it would be an instant double technical. The next week my friend changed his 00 to 0000, as a jab at the ref, but he didn't laugh and ejected him from the game during warmups. I've used the number 155 ever since when I've needed a number on things.

But yeah, jar would be my initials. Oh, and funny you bring up my DOB. Today's actually my birthday. I'm a young 31 today.

Happy bday

April is a kick ass month for bdays.

No...not exactly.

Happy Birthday! I turned 29 on Friday and my initials are also JAR. (Ratcliff, J.A.)

Really though, has anyone in the "Stop Tanking!"" campaign watched the Pistons or Nets? Those teams have tried to win games over the last few years and they aren't watchable or interesting because their rosters are terrible. How exactly would have the Bobcats with Wallace or Jax been a better product for the NBA?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Real solution to stop tanking is relegation.

Don't award the 3 worst teams the highest chances of getting the #1 pick. Kick them out of the league instead. Seattle can get one of those 3 teams every year.

Former Laker Jamaal Wilkes received two doses of good news Monday. One involves the NBA's announcement that he will be inducted Sept. 8 in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The second involves how the Lakers will pay tribute to him.

"We will retire his jersey at some point next season," Lakers spokesman John Black said. "We'll look to book a date after the schedule comes out at some point late in the summer."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...-sometime-next-season-20120402,0,843363.story

Awesome. Him and Shaq added to the rafters next season.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
HoopIdea is terrible. JVG's solution to tanking? Award the best teams the highest chance to win the lottery.

That's just stupid.

The worst teams should get the best draft picks. That's it. I don't even like the lottery because of how screwed up it is.

giri

Real solution to stop tanking is relegation.

Don't award the 3 worst teams the highest chances of getting the #1 pick. Kick them out of the league instead. Seattle can get one of those 3 teams every year.

Ugh, So a team gets better by losing all its funding?

flawed idea is flawed.

Relegation works in soccer because there is insane amounts of money paid to even non-top tier teams.

Basketball doesn't come close to that depth.

There is no easy answer to the whole thing. But the difference between the top in the NBA is tiny and vast at the same time.

I'd almost say all bottom 4 teams should get 2 top 10 picks so that they have no real excuse for being back there the next year. But that shafts teams 5 - 8 who also realistically, are probably still searching for a franchise player also.

The Bobcats have a 75% chance of missing Anthony Davis in a draft that most consider to few stars other than Davis. Tanking is a major, calculated risk, I don't know why this has been become such a major issue for some writers. And the Bobcats have been mostly dumping bad contracts while acquiring young prospects...That's less tanking than just being sane.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ugh, So a team gets better by losing all its funding?

flawed idea is flawed.

Relegation works in soccer because there is insane amounts of money paid to even non-top tier teams.

Basketball doesn't come close to that depth.

There is no easy answer to the whole thing. But the difference between the top in the NBA is tiny and vast at the same time.

I'd almost say all bottom 4 teams should get 2 top 10 picks so that they have no real excuse for being back there the next year. But that shafts teams 5 - 8 who also realistically, are probably still searching for a franchise player also.

I agree its not a remotely feasible option in American sports but I really hate the notion of tanking in general. It's one thing to tank at the end of the season but teams are tanking from day 1 which I generally find to be absurd.

I think the easiest solution is to give a slight bump in salary cap space to teams that make the playoffs. It'll give teams floating around incentive to try to get the 8 spot instead of shutting it down.

There really isn't a good solution though. Perhaps doing nothing is the right call.

giri

The Bobcats have a 75% chance of missing Anthony Davis in a draft that most consider to few stars other than Davis. Tanking is a major, calculated risk, I don't know why this has been become such a major issue for some writers. And the Bobcats have been mostly dumping bad contracts while acquiring young prospects...That's less tanking than just being sane.

I've defended what the cats have done for a while.

Their contract situation was bad when they had jax and wallace.

Long term money locked up in being a 10th seed.

They needed to clear salary and players in a bad, bad way.

I also believe the whole locker room was toxic to the point it was un-salvageable. there was just bad blood that was never going away. Players needed to be sent on their way.

Sure, it's pretty horrible right now. But there are few teams like the heat who build through free agency, and more sustainable success stories that have built through the draft with cap space to put pieces around a franchise player when they finally get one. And thats what they're trying to do.

I agree its not a remotely feasible option in American sports but I really hate the notion of tanking in general. It's one thing to tank at the end of the season but teams are tanking from day 1 which I generally find to be absurd.

I think the easiest solution is to give a slight bump in salary cap space to teams that make the playoffs. It'll give teams floating around incentive to try to get the 8 spot instead of shutting it down.

There really isn't a good solution though. Perhaps doing nothing is the right call.

So the rich teams get richer?

How does that help those that are struggling to rebuild, rebuild? they compete against guys who have more money to spend?

We may dislike tanking, but atleast it means the franchise has admitted it needs to do it, and has A plan, no matter how bad it is.

You ought to drop in on The CB once in a while. All the GCN/Rev/WiiCB regs are still around. Well, most of them. You have an account on The CB, right?

Just posted.

Anyway, John Hollinger must have the worst formulas ever to get his power rankings. They're almost always way off.

the Bobcats are also legit bad.

No need to overachieve when in the end all it would get you is annual 7th seeds.

It sucks but the NBA is based off of having a guy to build around...if you don't have it and can't get it via trade or FA then what else are you gonna do?

At least teams who tank are trying to get better. They realize that beating the Pistons, Hornets, and Kings isn't worth losing draft position.

On the other hand some teams stay in the middle/end of the lottery year in and year out. Because they aren't in the position to draft game changing players they stay mediocre/shitty (Warriors, Kings, Nets).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just posted.

Anyway, John Hollinger must have the worst formulas ever to get his power rankings. They're almost always way off.

If you just look at point differentials this season the 76ers are an elite team. I get why his rankings have them as high as they do. They really are an odd team.

Just posted.

He made his formulas by finding coefficients through regression based on previous seasons.

And it's premise in based on something well accepted - point differential is more indicative than record (which has been thoroughly proven). Difference is he puts in a SoS and recent performance component in (along with home/away during the season).

But there's no way to guard for injuries and trades, of course. But it could use a home court advantage adjustment for places like Utah and Denver.

Regarding tanking, I think the system works fine now.

If you just look at point differentials this season the 76ers are an elite team. I get why his rankings have them as high as they do. They really are an odd team.

Hollinger himself said he doesn't believe in Philly right now, despite what his own ranking says.

Also, a 66 game schedule will be a smaller sample size and less likely to be accurate.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

No need to overachieve when in the end all it would get you is annual 7th seeds.

It sucks but the NBA is based off of having a guy to build around...if you don't have it and can't get it via trade or FA then what else are you gonna do?

But Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, and Raymond Felton can be the core.

We can contend.

All we gotta do is try harder.

giri

Essentially. Look at the sixers. Some good team ball being played, all players playing to their talent level almost and... does anyone expect them to make it to the second round? Maybe depending on matchup. But past that? No. Iggy isnt' a franchise guy, he's an ultimate Robin, but not a franchise guy.

The pacers and Granger are another example.

We can contend.

Replace those names with Andre Iguodala, Evan Turner, and Jrue Holiday and you have a view of my own personal hell.

Like seriously, what are our options going forward? Turner might be a nice player when Doug pulls a Larry Brown and says fuck this shit and bounces but is he a gamechanger? Fuck no. Jrue has no position and Iggy hit his ceiling 3 years ago. We will add mediocre talent fort he next few years, sign some bum to a huge ass contract and wonder why we can't get over the hump.

In this league, if you don't have a superstar or at least a guy with superstar potential, you are doing it wrong.

Now if you excuse me I will be watching random Sixer mixtapes where we actually look like stars...

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!

We can contend.

I was listening to some sports radio show recently and somebody called in and said something like that. "Wallace, Jackson, Felton, Tyson Chandler, that team could get to the second round in the East." I was stunned.

giri

I was listening to some sports radio show recently and somebody called in and said something like that. "Wallace, Jackson, Felton, Tyson Chandler, that team could get to the second round in the East." I was stunned.

If those guys ever played as a team together, it could.

But those guys would never play as a team together, so it wouldn't.

I wasn't even talking about the 76ers. I know Orlando's pretty one-dimensional, but are they really worse than the Hawks, Pacers, Knicks, AND Bucks? And the Clippers are at 16 while the Jazz are 14 after Saturday's game? Also, the Knicks are half a game over 500, which makes them better than the Lakers and Celtics?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wasn't even talking about the 76ers. I know Orlando's pretty one-dimensional, but are they really worse than the Hawks, Pacers, Knicks, AND Bucks? And the Clippers are at 16 while the Jazz are 14 after Saturday's game? Also, the Knicks are half a game over 500, which makes them better than the Lakers and Celtics?

Point differential wise yeah they actually are worse than most of those teams.

Orlando has been feasting on garbage teams and struggled against good teams. Outside of Dwight, Ryno has legitimately been their only good player all season long.

And there isn't a glimmer of hope for anybody else to step up their game outside of Jameer who has finally stopped being an out of shape fatass.

Hedoball works well against bad teams. But whenever he's playing against a good team he basically turns into the worst player in the league. It's pretty insane.

giri

to be fair, all those teams have a legit shot at knocking orlando out in the first round.

DY_nasty

If those guys ever played as a team together, it could.

But those guys would never play as a team together, so it wouldn't.

They did for half a season.

Then Larry Brown turned everyone against each other on the way out the door.

Jeff-DSA

Jazz fan
Dodgets fan
Dolphins fan

I'm so confused.

Jazz are local, easy.

Dodgers fan, since my dad grew up in California until he was a teenager and he passed that onto me from the day I was born.

Dolphins fan because they're the most awesome. Screw all the local Denver, San Francisco, and Cowboys fans here. The Dolphins are where it has been, where it is, and where it will be.

DY_nasty

to be fair, all those teams have a legit shot at knocking orlando out in the first round.

I can't decide who's worse between Atlanta and Orlando...

At first, Atlanta looked even more fraud than usual but after Josh Smith got Bilas'd again they look less fraudy compared to the Magic.

Jazz are local, easy.

Dodgers fan, since my dad grew up in California until he was a teenager and he passed that onto me from the day I was born.

Dolphins fan because they're the most awesome. Screw all the local Denver, San Francisco, and Cowboys fans here. The Dolphins are where it has been, where it is, and where it will be.

You've been a Jazz fan for way too long. Poor thing.

DY_nasty

Sure would be nice to be the Wizards

To trade for a freshly paid big with a fat booty contract and then get smoked by the Deers must be great.

Top Bottom