• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Apr |OT| Presented By Unicef and Feed The Children, Fuk Yo Hunger Clown.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Honestly, its kinda hard to even tell if Dwight quits because he's frozen out so much and officiated so poorly. Can't even tell who's he mad at or why.

Vahagn

Losing a playoff series means the best player quit

#VagLogic

There's something called the ability to discriminate and discern...you should develop it. Many people, including the owner of the Cavs think Lebron quit in a couple games against Orlando. As for the Boston series...Cavs got blown out at home by Boston by something like 20 points in game 1. Lebron was never engaged...The Cavs never made a run. In game 2...the script was the exact same until sometime in the second half Bron sat down...Mo Williams took over with a string of plays including that "dunk" that Mike Brown laughed at in the post game presser...the crowd got into it...Lebron came back in the fourth quarter and took them home. In game 3 he dominated the Celtics like he knew how. From games 4-6 he was a non-entity defensively...quit in game 5...in most people's eyes at the time quit in game 6...and in game 4...despite the fact that Rondo was posting some of the most insane stats in Boston playoff history in that game...Lebron never countered...attempted to counter...or switch off and defend him.

Quitting doesn't just mean standing around...quitting means playing far below a 100% effort level with no sense of urgency...Lebron did that in a number of games between those two series'

In other Bron Quit news
Simmons said:
"They were excited in the huddle because they knew they were close (to finishing Dallas off). I was right there, I was sitting three feet away from their trainer. LeBron sat down and started chewing his fingers. I remember (assistant coach) Bob McAdoo and a few other bench guys kept coming over, slapping him on the shoulder and saying, 'Come on, Bron, take us home.' And he was just staring into space and chewing his nails. I remember AT THAT MOMENT wondering, 'How would MJ be right now?' I thought for sure LeBron would get fired up and feed off those guys. He looked like he wanted no part of it! So they go back out and Dallas starts coming back. Next timeout, same thing. 'Come on, Bron, take us home.' And he's staring into space and chewing his nails. I could see Wade's face. Remember, Wade played his ass off in those Dallas games. Wade had this look on his face like, 'Oh, fuck me.' That was when I knew Dallas could win. I don't think LeBron has it in him. I will never forget watching that from that close. I feel like I witnessed history and actually felt that way as it was happening."

Honestly, its kinda hard to even tell if Dwight quits because he's frozen out so much and officiated so poorly. Can't even tell who's he mad at or why.

he nentally checks out atleast twice a week. This is the year if the entitled superstar though....so let's blame the coach!

he nentally checks out atleast twice a week. This is the year if the entitled superstar though....so let's blame the coach!

this year?

Pssh Magic got his coach fired too.

This has been a part of this league for a looooong time.

Mainly because you can't win shit without said entitled stars.

this year?

Pssh Magic got his coach fired too.

This has been a part of this league for a looooong time.

Mainly because you can't win shit without said entitled stars.

The part about Dwight I don't get is...if he wanted Stan fired, why isn't he fired? I mean, he should have actually demanded it, not the wishy-washy shit he does. The Magic would have had to do it because Dwight could threaten to go public with it...

Everyone knows Magic got Westhead fired. And he even brought them a title.

Dwight is so stupid.

Vahagn

People criticize Magic and Jordan for getting their coaches fired. In both cases the assistants who took over were far more capable than the head coaches and led the team to a handful of rings.

There's something to be said about being in a huddle and seeing whether you've got COTY Mike Brown or an ingenious assistant. Clearly the firing of D'antoni was the right move because it salvaged their season and Woodson is without a doubt a better coach for that team.

There are times...maybe just maybe...where the superstar knows the limitations of his coach and is playing his hand to make sure the team performs to its capability.

The NBA isn't the army...taking orders mindlessly with no questioning of the objective isn't healthy in an NBA dynamic when often times the superstar player has more of a feel of the locker room...teammates...than the head coach.

DY_nasty

Hence the who he's mad at or why bit

He gets screwed almost as bad as Yao by the refs and no other big in the league gets frozen out of the offense like he does. He's got plenty of reasons to be mad. His Charlie Brown bullshit is just his personality shining through.

Hence the who he's mad at or why bit

He gets screwed almost as bad as Yao by the refs and no other big in the league gets frozen out of the offense like he does. He's got plenty of reasons to be mad. His Charlie Brown bullshit is just his personality shining through.

Nah, Howard is that dude we all know that.talks mad shit behind peoples backs but denies it like a bitch when he's called out. he's not a good.guy...not at all.

DY_nasty

Officiating goes both ways imo.

Ever since Shaq, the league has consistently proven that they have no idea how to officiate bigs.
Nah, Howard is that dude we all know that.talks mad shit behind peoples backs but denies it like a bitch when he's called out. he's not a good.guy...not at all.

I mean.. you could like sorta address the part about getting routinely ignored in the offense. How would any all-star react to that in particular? Not even trying to defend Dwight.

Ever since Shaq, the league has consistently proven that they have no idea how to officiate bigs.

They don't officiate most things consistently anymore, but I agree it started there.

the flopping has fucked shit up big time. I still think the NBA would be better off getting rid of charges (not all offensive fouls, just charges). I think officiating and the game would improve a lot.

Vahagn

Doc Rivers said:
Then in the second half, I just thought Chicago, they were too tough for us. Their toughness made us let go of the ropes...That was unacceptable. That's on me first. I did something where I didn't see something tonight. It's always on the coach. That's an unacceptable effort for us. I don't say that very often. I don't think I've ever said that. That was a crime. It was tough to talk after the game, because about what? We've got to be better than that. I don't want to hear about us winning crap, not with that effort.

Doc Rivers on cue talking about what it means to quit in a game even if you only lose by 6 or 7

DY_nasty

Brian Hill was not a good coach. I think its really just that simple in his case...

That'd be like me saying Felton got Sam Vincent fired.

I mean.. you could like sorta address the part about getting routinely ignored in the offense. How would any all-star react to that in particular? Not even trying to defend Dwight.

He could ya know...sorta learn how to post up properly instead of standing still smiling like a jackass 85% of the time.

Vahagn

How come Doc doesn't talk about how Ray Allen quit on the Celtics when he went 0-14.

Because...by that statement alone...you clearly have no idea what it means to quit on your team. Quit is about effort and level of engagement...not about FG%...does that even need to be said?

They don't officiate most things consistently anymore, but I agree it started there.

the flopping has fucked shit up big time. I still think the NBA would be better off getting rid of charges (not all offensive fouls, just charges). I think officiating and the game would improve a lot.
Call me crazy, but I actually have faith that the NBA is going to find a solution to flopping. They've been adding stuff like in game reviews and have been calling travels more often and bullshit fouls less often

They're still very inconsistent but it seems to be improving

Because...by that statement alone...you clearly have no idea what it means to quit on your team. Quit is about effort and level of engagement...not about FG%...does that even need to be said?

How come more Laker fans don't talk about how Pau quit on the Lakers in the 08 finals. They sure could have used him against KG.

DY_nasty

Dude had an issue establishing position against 6'9 Tristan Thompson. So either he's lazy or he lacks footwork. You make the call.
And he also got his lunch money taken by Biyombo twice this year. Its hard to give a fuck when you're playing a bad team and your teammates make no effort to establish a rhythm of getting you the ball in a good spot on time. In every game I've seen from Orlando, I've seen Dwight sprint down the floor, seal at least 3 times in a possession, then watch as a 3 gets jacked up and have a long rebound go the other way - to work that hard and not even get a touch fucks with you. To work that hard over years fucks with you more.

He obviously has no sense for evaluating personnel and he behaves like a spoiled, indecisive child - but his being discontent is justified.

Call me crazy, but I actually have faith that the NBA is going to find a solution to flopping. They've been adding stuff like in game reviews and have been calling travels more often and bullshit fouls less often

They're still very inconsistent but it seems to be improving

It's easy. Fine offenses upon review after games, like flagrant, and then suspend after too many.

And if the ref catches it in game, it's a tech.

And he also got his lunch money taken by Biyombo twice this year. Its hard to give a fuck when you're playing a bad team and your teammates make no effort to establish a rhythm of getting you the ball in a good spot on time. In every game I've seen from Orlando, I've seen Dwight sprint down the floor, seal at least 3 times in a possession, then watch as a 3 gets jacked up and have a long rebound go the other way - to work that hard and not even get a touch fucks with you. To work that hard over years fucks with you more.

He obviously has no sense for evaluating personnel and he behaves like a spoiled, indecisive child - but his being discontent is justified.

I guess I see your point. I might add perhaps he's hated by the team now and he's rolling all pac style me against the wolrd rigjt now? Deron...go to the Mav's son.

Vahagn

How come more Laker fans don't talk about how Pau quit on the Lakers in the 08 finals. They sure could have used him against KG.

Pau didn't quit...Pau played his first tough playoff series with high stakes and got dominated by a ferocious defense and a much more intimidating player in KG. It's why no one blames Lebron for "quitting" against the Spurs in 07...we accept as fans that you have to learn to lose to take the next step...and as the stakes get higher and you're there for the first time...it's hard to know how to perform even if your effort is there.

No one I know thinks Dwight quit in the Finals although he clearly played like ass. The difference between Lebron in 09 / 10 / 11 was that he's been in those situations before. He had the better team judging by regular season record and HCA. He shouldn't have had his "deer in the headlights" look in those series as he's gotten to the Finals before.

Pau played like ass....was dominated...and the moment was too big for him...but he didn't quit.

I'm glad you're able to measure that through a TV screen

It's easy. Fine offenses upon review after games, like flagrant, and then suspend after too many.

And if the ref catches it in game, it's a tech.
I don't think you can do it in game. Things are moving too fast to be able to know whether or not a guy is acting.

I bet you that refs would then start calling actual offensive fouls as flops

And they would be overturned after the game, like bad flagrant calls.

But they would be so few and far between once the flopping is mostly eliminated.

I don't think you can do it in game. Things are moving too fast to be able to know whether or not a guy is acting.

The blatant ones you can.

DY_nasty

I guess I see your point. I might add perhaps he's hated by the team now and he's rolling all pac style me against the wolrd rigjt now? Deron...go to the Mav's son.

I don't even think they hate him... They just suck. I don't think they're talented or bball aware enough to do some of the shit they do on purpose. Duhon? You can't teach that kind of suck.

Gabyskra

Banned
I don't even think they hate him... They just suck. I don't think they're talented or bball aware enough to do some of the shit they do on purpose. Duhon? You can't teach that kind of suck.

Dwight still got the ball in the post many times yesterday. Some players like Melo, you give them poor post positions, they don't give a fuck, they'll go through with it. Dwight had decent options, and I don't know how much of it was because he does not like playing against Tyson Chandler, but he just was not feeling it, he kept dishing it back to a player behind the line. Obviously he was sulking but in the heat of a game, it still comes naturally a few times... Quite a weird sight.

Dy's right, here. It's maddening to watch Orlando play and go 8 minute stretches where Dwight doesn't touch the ball, but is either open or sealed his man maybe 6 -10 times in that stretch.

At least 3 times a game I see Howard jumping up and down hands in the air all by himself while a teammate either dribbles endlessly or swings a pass to the opposite corner.

Hakeem would have beaten the shit out of Dwight's teammates if they were on his team.

Dwight still got the ball in the post many times yesterday. Some players like Melo, you give them poor post positions, they don't give a fuck, they'll go through with it. Dwight had decent options, and I don't know how much of it was because he does not like playing against Tyson Chandler, but he just was not feeling it, he kept dishing it back to a player behind the line. Obviously he was sulking but in the heat of a game, it still comes naturally a few times... Quite a weird sight.

last night's game does not count.

DY_nasty

Maybe..but if I were in that squad I'd be sick of his shit by now

Those guys will all be in Orlando next year and they'll all still suck. Orlando's gonna get swept by Atlanta or Indiana and they'll come into the new season with even more pressure to move Dwight once its obvious to everyone just how bad they are. All of this is their FO and owner's fault. Once the writing is on the wall, you can't BS around it... blow it up and move on. Imagine if Portland had dragged out their slow demise for an extra 3 years.

Those guys will all be in Orlando next year and they'll all still suck. Orlando's gonna get swept by Atlanta or Indiana and they'll come into the new season with even more pressure to move Dwight once its obvious to everyone just how bad they are. All of this is their FO and owner's fault. Once the writing is on the wall, you can't BS around it... blow it up and move on. Imagine if Portland had dragged out their slow demise for an extra 3 years.

I agree. In addition you can bet no talented free agent is going anywhere near that place. Blow it up

DY_nasty

Hakeem would have beaten the shit out of Dwight's teammates if they were on his team.
This has always been, and will probably continue to be, the biggest criticism on Dwight.

Because if he had just nutted up and slapped Jameer in the mouth last year like he should've, then all of these problems would've disappeared.

SVG really fucked Orlando today.

1. Fire SVG now - Management looks incompetent they let all this happen and the cater to a star who probably will be gone soon. Good luck enticing a good coach.

2. Keep SVG now - get swept in playoffs anyway, look like idiots for not getting rid of SVG early in the season and have no control of the situation.

SVG comes off clean, here. He tried his best, team and superstar threw him under the bus. Now if they lose with him in the playoffs, ain't his fault. If they drop him, he was treated unfairly.

Smart move by SVG. Saw the writing on the wall and took initiative to fuck everyone else over and let him come out relatively clean.

Jimmy Buss ain't lookin' too bad now!

Gabyskra

Banned
Because if he had just nutted up and slapped Jameer in the mouth last year like he should've, then all of these problems would've disappeared.

Who likes Jameer Nelson? Seriously? I mean have there ever been fans of his? I can't imagine it. He's everything that DY sees in Felton.

SVG really fucked Orlando today.

1. Fire SVG now - Management looks incompetent they let all this happen and the cater to a star who probably will be gone soon. Good luck enticing a good coach.

2. Keep SVG now - get swept in playoffs anyway, look like idiots for not getting rid of SVG early in the season and have no control of the situation.

SVG comes off clean, here. He tried his best, team and superstar threw him under the bus. Now if they lose with him in the playoffs, ain't his fault. If they drop him, he was treated unfairly.

Smart move by SVG. Saw the writing on the wall and took initiative to fuck everyone else over and let him come out relatively clean.

Jimmy Buss ain't lookin' too bad now!

The Van Gundy clan is poison...I hope nba owners are noticing this.

DY_nasty

Who likes Jameer Nelson? Seriously? I mean have there ever been fans of his? I can't imagine it. He's everything that DY sees in Felton.

He was a good point guard until SVG initially mindfucked him by playing in the Finals when he should've just nailed him to the bench. SVG then greenlit him so hard the next year that he somehow transformed into a shittier Luke Ridnour.

Jameer used to be a really, really good point guard.

Top Bottom