• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Imagine there are two scenarios, and you are magically given the power to choose which one will transpire.

Scenario 1: The Heat win the next 11 titles. LeBron wins 8 Finals MVPs, and almost every regular season MVP award until he's 35 (Durant manages to win one at some point). After LeBron and Wade fall off athletically, the Heat luck into drafting another superstar late in the 1st round who keeps them elite and wins the last 3 Finals MVPs.

LeBron retires with 11 titles, 10 MVP awards, 8 Finals MVPs, and in about 20 years is unanimously selected the greatest NBA player of all time in the revised rankings, ahead of Jeffrey.

Scenario 2: LeBron goes fishing in the Everglades and loses a foot to an alligator attack. He comes back to play with a prosthetic, but is never the player he once was, and averages 8 ppg for the rest of his career. He never wins a title.

YOU get to decide which of these scenarios will occur. Which do you choose?

For me it would be really tough. On the one hand, you hate to see anyone get injured, but on the other hand, LeBron as the GOAT?
wtf_gifs_26.gif

h3ro

lol Phil called the Knicks clumsy.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8058726/phil-jackson-says-coach-clumsy-new-york-knicks-team

Oh wait probably should have checked the offseason thread first.

They are a clumsy team though.

Simmons just posted on twitter that he knows Jackson sent out feelers regarding landing the knicks job and Dolan wanted no part of him leading to Jackson saying these things now.

Personally, I'm still holding on to hope Pringles comes on to be offensive coordinator.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WindhorstESPN
Russell Westbrook: "I'm not making no adjustments, regardless of what anyone says."

So I guess hes going to make some adjustments?

PBY

Banned
God that YNB quote is the medias wet dream-
If he wins, they run that and the narrative is "HE DIDNT LET THE CRITICS GET TO HIM"
If he loses, they run that and the narrative is "STUBBORN, YOUNG, DUMB" etc.

smh i want game 3 tonight , stern :(

Florida and Oklahoma are close :/ , 2-2-1-1-1 format should be applied there.

only when its L.A vs Boston should it be 2-3-2, so by that logic, there would never be another 2-3-2 finals series ;P

God that YNB quote is the medias wet dream-
If he wins, they run that and the narrative is "HE DIDNT LET THE CRITICS GET TO HIM"
If he loses, they run that and the narrative is "STUBBORN, YOUNG, DUMB" etc.

If he hit half his dumb shots in game 2 the narrative would have been "he put the team on his back like the superstar that he is!"

For what reasons?
Scott had a chance to really reinvent the franchise. I feel he did a poor job at that.
Movie felt insular.
Character development was shit so I didn't care about them.
Acting was great though.
Premise was decent with the whole ancient alien thing. But the climax was shit

Emwitus

The hate of Prometheus on gaf astounds me....But gaf adored that abomination known as captain america and crowned inception as some classic movie narvana.... so there's that.

Emwitus

And on the same note, Snow white may have been the worst movie I have seen since, well, captain america. Such trash. The director/editor should never work on another movie EVER AGAIN!!

Owzers

WindhorstESPN
Russell Westbrook: "I'm not making no adjustments, regardless of what anyone says."

So I guess hes going to make some adjustments?

:( Game 3 is going to be crazy. YNB just stares at wide open guys and doesn't make the pass.

I watched that conference, only reminded me of a couple guys, namely Bynum saying he was still going to take 3s and Josh Smith jump shots.

Prometheus was flawed, but not shit.

That kid Lebron video pretty much nails it. I just wish he had actually said "passes to Donyell Marshall" in the video.

Canuck76

Banned
Scott had a chance to really reinvent the franchise. I feel he did a poor job at that.
Movie felt insular.
Character development was shit so I didn't care about them.
Acting was great though.
Premise was decent with the whole ancient alien thing. But the climax was shit

This i don't get at all. People are like "David was amazing he should have a sitcom on CBS"

What the hell does Fassbender do that's so amazing? How hard is it to act like a robot? Literally how many lines does he have?

He's in half the scenes not even saying anything just chewing up scenery. I'm not saying he's crap, just that the collective Fassbender love shouldn't be spilling over and making an Oscar performance out of acting like a freaking robot.

Damon Lindelof does a better job acting like the movie makes sense

I saw Prometheus in IMAX 3d last night. I thought it was good. I especially liked the themes presented, visuals, most of the acting, and the general concepts.

But the movie has some serious flaws that bugged me as I was watching.

The engineer and biologist getting lost was nonsensical. As was their fear of the place + lifeforms evaporating the moment they see a nasty looking snake. One of the worst illogical things I've ever seen a character in a movie do.

Vickers death was comically stupid.

The movie suffered from using too much of the crew as established characters. the guys who made the bet needed to not exist. The botanist served no purpose. These characters did not need to be anything but background noise. It also took time away from other crucial issues, like more time to develop Shaw's infertility and Vickers daddy issues.

Some scenes were obviously cut short and I'm curious if that hurt the movie

The ZOMG Weyland on board subplot was immeasurably stupid. First off, anyone who didn't predict this way early in the movie must have their brains shut off during a movie. Not only did it practically give it away with Guy Pierce listed third in the opening credits (so he had major screen time even after announcing he's dead) but David talking to him after the 1st time they return made no other answer possible. But the real problem is, it served no purpose other than a lame attempt to surprise the audience. Why did this matter to the crew? His presence changed nothing! Why did it have to be a secret? It was in there with the sole purpose of surprising us but they gave away the surprise with not-subtle hints in the very beginning. WTF.

Thankfully, I didn't see any of those things hurt the themes and concepts of the movie. They were problems trying to get to plot to get into those concepts and were sloppy writing.

edit: The score sucked too, IMO. But the visuals and the 3d was amazing (and I hate 3D). Cinematography A+

edit: Canuck - I thought David was a great character. The most interesting one and star of the movie. David didn't just act like a robot...

What the hell does Fassbender do that's so amazing? How hard is it to act like a robot? Literally how many lines does he have?

He has as many lines and as much screen time as anybody else in the film. He absolutely nails the "servile and polite on the surface, menacing underneath" aspect of the character, communicating a lot of information with a minimum of emoting. And physically, he was the best actor in the movie, his movements were never robotic, never too perfect, yet it was always clear he wasn't an ordinary human.

The strength is that he didn't play it as a "robot" at all.

He has as many lines and as much screen time as anybody else in the film. He absolutely nails the "servile and polite on the surface, menacing underneath" aspect of the character, communicating a lot of information with a minimum of emoting. And physically, he was the best actor in the movie, his movements were never robotic, never too perfect, yet it was always clear he wasn't an ordinary human.

Yup, definitely agree. It was the reverse of Alien where Ash's reveal is a shock and you go back to try to piece how you missed it. In this case, you know David is not human but you are questioning what it means to be "human," since he definitely is not some autobot.

Also, David = Wall-E

Canuck76

Banned

I guess my main complaint is that, it was much more of a writing and character design thing then Fassbender actually being amazing. He was certainly good, it just didn't jump out to me as anything people are saying about it.

Props for some of the physical "stunts" that he did do in the first couple minutes though.

Top Bottom