• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

FWIW, i think a lot of people are let down because they expected another Alien movie. But why would Scott do that? Alien only the Space Jockeys taking their place? Alien was Jaws in space, don't need another.

The movie was obviously not a prequel and some people wanted an explanation how things got to be in Alien. It was just a movie that happened in the same universe.

But man, do I wish the plot was more consistent and without some of the fluff.

Canuck76

Banned
FWIW, i think a lot of people are let down because they expected another Alien movie. But why would Scott do that? Alien only the Space Jockeys taking their place? Alien was Jaws in space, don't need another.

The movie was obviously not a prequel and some people wanted an explanation how things got to be in Alien. It was just a movie that happened in the same universe.

Yeah. I totally agree with all your spoilery comments and the above. Some friends that i went with were just disappointed because so much didn't make sense/ was illogical. I still enjoyed it despite that stuff but yeah.

The second one really needs to answer some stuff and just be smarter in general.

In this case, you know David is not human but you are questioning what it means to be "human," since he definitely is not some autobot.

Exactly. The way he's contrasted with Charlize Theron's character, and the uncertainty his presence raises about her (she was the second best physical actor in this movie imo), plays that question out.

Emwitus

BINGO.

Yeah. I totally agree with all your spoilery comments and the above. Some friends that i went with were just disappointed because so much didn't make sense/ was illogical. I still enjoyed it despite that stuff but yeah.

The second one really needs to answer some stuff and just be smarter in general.

It's a shame that it had those moments. Those moments took me out of the movie where I was actively saying "this is stupid and makes no sense and shouldn't happening." I'd much rather have plot holes that I don't notice until the movie is done and I'm just thinking or talking about it. Not when I'm in the middle of the movie.

And it's a shame because with better execution, the movie could have been great. I really like the themes and i'll say main story behind the movie and I even thought that was fleshed out pretty well in relation to the character development based on those themes.

I have my own theory to what mostly answers stuff, with the exceptions of

what exactly went wrong on the ships that had [what i assume are] xenos kill the engineers

and why that or something else convinced the engineers on the home planet not to destroy us

I think that's all that really needs to be answered. The rest I can fill in to my own theory, even if it's wrong.

I'd have been so disappointed if it was Alien featuring Space Jockeys. Alien is a movie about the fear of the unknown and, imho, explored it perfectly (of course saddle with other themes). I don't want a retelling. Prometheus is clearly about something else and that's a good thing.

Puddles

Banned
well now it's an okay post instead of terrible. but given your history of lebron hate, I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through.

Well I seem to have lost my thread-starting privileges after that post, which makes no sense, because I thought that punishment was only handed out for making really stupid threads.

Honestly, I thought I might be risking a 1 week to 1 month ban for that post, but given the history of this thread, I thought the odds of that were pretty small. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I could lose thread-starting privileges for a single post.

Blackace, please reconsider. The punishment here doesn't fit the crime! It's not like I made a thread specifically to present this LeBron GOAT/losing foot in the Everglades scenario to the entire forum.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
apropos nothing you guys are talking about, i just caught the Dream Team docu from NBATV.

the NBA needs to release the full footage of that Monte Carlo scrimmage. Seeing those tiny snippets of Magic trash talking and MJ go crazy with everyone else on the floor had me riveted. the whole documentary is fantastic.

carry on. Westrbook sucks. and that Lebron post was asinine, asiten, asieleven.

Canuck76

Banned
It's a shame that it had those moments. Those moments took me out of the movie where I was actively saying "this is stupid and makes no sense and shouldn't happening." I'd much rather have plot holes that I don't notice until the movie is done and I'm just thinking or talking about it. Not when I'm in the middle of the movie.

And it's a shame because with better execution, the movie could have been great. I really like the themes and i'll say main story behind the movie and I even thought that was fleshed out pretty well in relation to the character development based on those themes.

I have my own theory to what mostly answers stuff, with the exceptions of

what exactly went wrong on the ships that had [what i assume are] xenos kill the engineers

and why that or something else convinced the engineers on the home planet not to destroy us

I think that's all that really needs to be answered. The rest I can fill in to my own theory, even if it's wrong.

I'd have been so disappointed if it was Alien featuring Space Jockeys. Alien is a movie about the fear of the unknown and, imho, explored it perfectly (of course saddle with other themes). I don't want a retelling. Prometheus is clearly about something else and that's a good thing.

Well not even that stuff. The assumptions made by people are pretty far reaching and lacking evidence to support hypothesis. If they actually wanted to answer stuff they could flip the script and go a completely different way in the next one.

I did love the theme which was very lovecraftian and asking these huge questions which are very intriguing. I think everyone liked that stuff. But you have to deliver on stuff, and not only that it has to make sense.

Redux

Banned
Coming from a person who hasn't seen any of the Aliens movies, I enjoyed Prometheus.

Also, Brandon Roy not being able to return to the Blazers :( oh I assume this is being talked about in the other thread. -leaves-

Emwitus

Coming from a person who hasn't seen any of the Aliens movies, I enjoyed Prometheus.

Also, Brandon Roy not being able to return to the Blazers :( oh I assume this is being talked about in the other thread. -leaves-

Yup. And i have no intention of seeing any of them based on what i've heard they are about and watching clips. I just don't have the patience to watch old movies that moved at a snail like pace regardless of how good people say they were.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Yup. And i have no intention of seeing any of them based on what i've heard they are about and watching clips. I just don't have the patience to watch old movies that moved at a snail like pace regardless of how good people say they were.

What the hell.

Emwitus

What the hell.

C'mon man. It's like the movie editing proffession was invented in the 90s. Movies before that time have never aged well apart from a select few. Stale camera movement and a scene would drag on for way too long for my taste. How any one can sit through such boredom is beyond me but anywho LOL I'm a hater.

EDIT: And i now have a better "You mad" Lakers/Celts avatar! Yay.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
C'mon man. It's like the movie editing proffession was invented in the 90s. Movies before have never aged well apart from a select few. How any one can sit through such boredom is beyond me but anywho LOL I'm a hater.
I just watched Alien and Aliens for the first time ever two months ago.

Those movies aged as well as Jurassic Park. T2. etc.

Emwitus

I just watched Alien and Aliens for the first time ever two months ago.

Those movies aged as well as Jurassic Park. T2. etc.

Those are 90s movies which I've had no problem watching. And yes, those did age well compared to todays standard tho.

I've heard good thing about the production on the aliens movies so i guess those are also some of the watchable ones.

one can judge the premise the movie without any comparison to the alien movies.
people are complaining because its a poorly executed movie and not because its in the alien universe.

chris-bosh-face-gif.gif

edit: Emwitus, you might have some form of ADD brah, seek help.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Those are 90s movies which I've had no problem watching. And yes, those did age well compared to todays standard tho.

I've heard good thing about the production on the aliens movies so i guess those are also some of the watchable ones.

Blade Runner, Predator... I can go on.

Your initial statement is just... it makes me feel old, and I'm 24. That with the Lakers/Celtics thing and the ongoing iveneverwatchedanythingbasketballuntil2yearsagobecauseihadsportscenterbutistillknoweverything just... ugh

Emwitus

Blade Runner, Predator... I can go on.

Your initial statement is just... it makes me feel old, and I'm 24. That with the Lakers/Celtics thing and the ongoing iveneverwatchedanythingbasketballuntil2yearsagobecauseihadsportscenterbutistillknoweverything just... ugh

Who said that? I've been watching basketball since the late 90s when i was old enough to understand ranking and stuff lol. And movies like the predator are exactly what i'm talking about. Long dragged out scenes with the usual chimes inter spaced inbetween. I just can't stand those type of movies (Oh and i'm 25) I guess it's an acquired taste or something I just don't have. And no it's not add, those movies are just BORING!

Who said that? I've been watching basketball since the late 90s when i was old enough to understand ranking and stuff lol. And movies like the predator are exactly what i'm talking about. Long dragged out scenes with the usual chimes inter spaced inbetween. I just can't stand those type of movies (Oh and i'm 25) I guess it's an acquired taste or something I just don't have. And no it's not add, those movies are just BORING!

quit your grinning and drop your linen

Emwitus

holy fuck dude.

just the top of my head.

Raging Bull
indiana jones trilogy
godfather I & II
blade runner
ghostbuster I & II
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial

I didn't say all the movies read my previous post i said most of em. And godfather is the biggest culprit to this horrid editing. They can spend like a whole 10 mins in one location, that's some boring crap movie if you ask me. If y'all like acting like those classic movies are the ish, then well and good, but I wont sit at home alone pretending to like something coz the world called it the best thing EVER made. I'd rather pop in a lord of the rings, game of thrones or some other well made movie.

linsivvi

It's not like Fassbender wasn't just in a better movie that moves at "snail place" where the camera doesn't move every 10 seconds.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I didn't say all the movies read my previous post i said most of em. And godfather is the biggest culprit to this horrid editing. They can spend like a whole 10 mins in one location, that's some boring crap movie if you ask me. If y'all like acting like those classic movies are the ish, then well and good, but I wont sit at home alone pretending to like something coz the world called it the best thing EVER made. I'd rather pop in a lord of the rings, game of thrones or some other well made movie.

lol wow..

Godfather's pacing is a bit slow for sure.. but they are great movies..

and comparing LoTRs and or GoT to them should be punishable by Internet ass beatings..

Emwitus

And here are some old movies i've watched and like despite the horrid editing:

The goonies
Time bandits
Space raiders
Indiana jones
Star wars
Back to the future I
Space odyssey
All the bond movies
Smokie and the bandits I

No drama/romantic movies there and you can guess why, but yeah, it's not like i despise all of em. Just the bulk of those movies.

Blackace
lol wow..

Godfather's pacing is a bit slow for sure.. but they are great movies..

and comparing LoTRs and or GoT to them should be punishable by Internet ass beatings..

LOL, I agree. Tho my issue is not with the quality of the writing or content per se, just the editing(PACE) and production values. Maybe it's add like someone said, but i just couldn't make it through any of the godfather movies for example coz of that. And i might have gone too far with my LOTR and GOT comparisons LOL

Do I drive by post? I don't post everyday but I do post regularly....
He predates you for a year and I sure as Hell seen him post in NBA GAF more than you, yet you called him a driveby. Not insinuating you are, but it's kinda funny.
frankman is probably just pissed because amazon lost his copy of lollipop chainsaw
Oh I KNOW you ain't trying to go there, go watch some shitty loli penguin anime and pray your team doesn't take Harrison Barnes.

charsace

C'mon man. It's like the movie editing proffession was invented in the 90s. Movies before that time have never aged well apart from a select few. Stale camera movement and a scene would drag on for way too long for my taste. How any one can sit through such boredom is beyond me but anywho LOL I'm a hater.

EDIT: And i now have a better "You mad" Lakers/Celts avatar! Yay.

So you're the reason why we mostly get ADD style films.

i bet you liked speed racer didnt you?
its ADHD seizure inducing.
dude viakado

Ghostbusters II is shit

its one of my guilty pleasure movies along with neverending story. good movie but its not aging very well.

You are a child. Try watching "old" movies again after your balls have dropped.

I kind of get the whole movies were slower thing, not sure if it's the editing though. I am a much bigger fan of movies from the 80s on. You can tell the change happening with Lucas and Spielberg, their old movies feel very modern. But I have grown to appreciate old movie making even if it is not my favorite.

That said Aliens is really awesome and much more in common with modern films than old ones. The first hour is slow though.

Top Bottom