• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Yeah, I don't buy the "asterik" argument. The refs suck, but the Thunder have blown multiple opportunities these past two games.

I'm talking about the shortened lockout season.

Just like the Spur's '99 Championship*

There were a lot of freak injuries this season that could be attributed to the condensed schedule. Having the number one player on the top seed in the East literally break down on the eve on the playoffs was a HUGE pleasing for the Heat.

Let me grasp at straws.

what the hell is this

How quick we forget
Game Five

Dwyane Wade received the star treatment yet again, shooting 25 free throws --- as many free throws as all the Mavericks combined...

Controversy With 9.1 seconds left in overtime and the Heat trailing by 1 point, they inbounded the ball to Wade. Although Wade apparently committed a backcourt violation after receiving the ball, the officials made no such call. Dallas was then penalized with an incredibly controversial foul call that sent Wade to the line to shoot the game-tying and game-winning free throws with 1.9 seconds left on the overtime game clock.
Wade hit the first free throw when Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson signaled to Josh Howard to call a timeout after Wade's second attempt. Howard mimicked Johnson, in order to clarify the coach's orders, and Josh Howard was mistakenly awarded the Mavericks' last remaining time-out, which prevented them from advancing the ball should Wade convert on the second attempt. Wade eventually made the second free throw to give his team a one-point lead after which Devin Harris attempted and missed a hail-mary half-court shot as time expired.
With the help of the officials, Wade set an NBA Finals record for most made free throws in a game with 21.[6]

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
wow..

sports brings out the best in people

Er what? Not sure what I said that would warrant that kind of response.

OKC will get EVERY call in gm4 but if they can't win, they will get closed out in 5

Even if they go down 3-1 I still wouldn't say the series is over. If the Thunder won game 4 and then lost 5 people would say they still have a chance. But if they lose game 4 and win game 5 then the series is over? I fully expect this series to go 7.

LOL Puddles.

Anyway I was thinking about this game from the Thunder perspective, OKC fans have to be going nuts. To have the best FT shooting team in the league all of a sudden missing a ton of FTs and a very inconsistance FT team now being lights out from FT must drive you mad. If OKC hits their FTs they maybe have a 3-0 lead. Then you have Harden playing about only 2 good quarters this series. Ibaka is almost non existent.

It kind of reminds me of us last year where we were wondering where the team we were watching all year went. Of course in our case it was our best player vanishing. Next game gonna be crazy.

Cloudy

Banned
Why doesn't OKC just double LeBron all game? Dude is refusing to take jumpshots and that is the only way you beat the King

People still play that?

Haven't touched it in months. Now they got that premium bs Im not spending any more money.

close conquest is the shit. it's pretty much counter-strike on steroids

I got the premium because I plan on getting all the expansions anyways

Cloudy

Banned
Even if they go down 3-1 I still wouldn't say the series is over. If the Thunder won game 4 and then lost 5 people would say they still have a chance. But if they lose game 4 and win 5 game then the series is over? I fully expect this series to go 7.

LeBron James is not gonna pass up the opportunity to win the title on his home floor and then possibly lose on the road. If OKC doesn't win game 4, you'd best believe this series is OVER

Heat fans think about this, we are finally back to the exact same spot we were last year before it all went to shit. It took a whole year, all that effort, so many ups and downs. I am exhausted and I just watch the games. Now it is time to make some progress, 2 more wins.

BTW Lebron has been so unbelievable this series. He is doing everything, I saw the stat where when he was on Durant in the fourth Durant went 1-5 only 2 points.

Cloudy

Banned
The Blunder just can't win unless they're getting all the calls. That's what we're learning in this series.

Tell me about it. They finally run up against a team with just as much athleticism and ref-respect and they can't magically erase any deficit lol

Cloudy

Banned
BTW Durant had ZERO assists tonight but nobody says a word. If this was Kobe (43 and 0 assists in gm5) or even his teammate, Westbrook, they'd be getting killed even though they both average more assists than KD can ever dream of having.

PS: I'm not really bashing KD cos 0 assists doesn't mean you didn't pass (and he certainly did) but they would be blaming this loss on Westbrook if he had the exact same game lol

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Heat fans think about this, we are finally back to the exact same spot we were last year before it all went to shit. It took a whole year, all that effort, so many ups and downs. I am exhausted and I just watch the games. Now it is time to make some progress, 2 more wins.

BTW Lebron has been so unbelievable this series. He is doing everything, I saw the stat where when he was on Durant in the fourth Durant went 1-5 only 2 points.
I have to say this, you Miami fans do an amazing job of making it seem like you're just some underdogs who had to fight and claw your way back to the top, and not as some super team who had one of the easiest roads to the finals in years.

BTW, you're exhausted? From what? Do you play for them, or something?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
BTW Durant had ZERO assists tonight but nobody says a word. If this was Kobe (43 and 0 assists in gm5) or even his teammate, Westbrook, they'd be getting killed even though they both average more assists than KD can ever dream of having.

PS: I'm not really bashing KD cos 0 assists doesn't mean you didn't pass (and he certainly did) but they would be blaming this loss on Westbrook if he had the exact same game lol

How do you manage to make everything about Kobe? Go to bed.

kevin durant isn't the point guard and kevin durant doesn't have the ball in his hands 80% of the time

As for the FTs, every team shoots above and below their average...that's how they get their average. But the Heat are shooting really above their average for 3 games. The likelihood of this happening is really low. Combine that with OKC shooting way below their average for 3 games, which is rare. Combined at the same time is probably in the 100k:1 zone if not worse.

Please show your work.

Cloudy

Banned
http://www.dailythunder.com/2012/06/thunder-crumble-in-the-second-half-91-85/#more-20843

But maybe the more curious thing was Westbrook. Not often do you see a time where Westbrook and Durant were both off the floor for the Thunder in the playoffs. But for the entire final five minutes of the third quarter, OKC played without its two best players. In Game 3 of the NBA Finals.

“I took him out a couple minutes early just to settle him down, and put him right back in,” said Scott Brooks. “That’s coaching, and we moved on. It’s nothing against ‑‑ he had a bad stretch. He turned it over, and he took a tough lay‑up.”

You want to settle Westbrook down? Take a timeout. Don’t bench him. Because he wasn’t put “right back in,” as Brooks says. He sat the final five minutes, as the Heat came from 10 down to lead by two heading to the fourth.

“It’s coach’s decision,” Westbrook said of being sat. “Got to live with it.”

Also: Got to live with a 2-1 series deficit.

It was a mistake, plain and simple. The Thunder took out their two primary scorers and tried to rely on Harden, who was suffering through a horrible night. The Thunder were punished by the “settle down” decision too. Just seven points, 1-of-10 shooting and a lead relinquished.

That’s what’s kind of interesting about this game. Through all the supposed criticism Westbrook took after Game 2, the Thunder probably needed more of him. More shots, more attacks, more Russell Westbrook being Russell Westbrook. When Durant went out, it was time for Westbrook to be the best player on the floor, as he often is. Except it’s hard to be when you’re sitting next to Mo Cheeks.

Brooks has been watching too much ESPN. You don't bench your stars in the Finals, moron

Canuck76

Banned
Tell me about it. They finally run up against a team with just as much athleticism and ref-respect and they can't magically erase any deficit lol

This. They're a good team, but they're bread and butter is Harden euro flops and shooting fouls.

Now they might have to run a (GASP) offense!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ESPNSteinLine
Is Game 4 must-win for OKC? History says so. No team has ever rallied to win Finals after going behind 3-1. Teams w/3-1 lead in Finals: 30-0

30-1 would be the sickest thing ever just from a neutral point of view.

Why doesn't OKC just double LeBron all game? Dude is refusing to take jumpshots and that is the only way you beat the King

Because Bosh and possibly Wade will go off. Wade has been off the entire series. Why risk jump starting him?

Also, what a wonderful troll game by Lebron. Looked like he was going to be a nonfactor in the second half and then hits big shots in the fourth quarter. Lebron haters probably had a heart attack.

Cloudy

Banned
Because Bosh and possibly Wade will go off. Wade has been off the entire series. Why risk jump starting him?

Also, what a wonderful troll game by Lebron. Looked like he was going to be a nonfactor in the second half and then hits big shots in the fourth quarter. Lebron haters probably had a heart attack.

If I'm OKC, I want Wade shooting as much as possible. Doubling LeBron with the PG keeps KD out of foul trouble and you put Thabo on Wade. Chalmers has been shit since gm 1 so let him keep shooting. At least do this is crunchtime!!

thats a lot of work

he'd have to draw graphs and shit

68-95-99.7 rules and all that.

he's probably pretty close lol

Really? We're talking about three games. That works out to about 2-3 missed/made FTs per game for the Thunder/Heat respectively above their season averages... again, for just three games. I'd be a bit surprised if anyone could claim with any confidence that the odds of that happening were 0.001%. You know, sample sizes and what not.

If I'm OKC, I want Wade shooting as much as possible. Doubling LeBron with the PG keeps KD out of foul trouble and you put Thabo on Wade. Chalmers has been shit since gm 1 so let him keep shooting. At least do this is crunchtime!!

You're freeing up shooters. Doubling Lebron leaves players like Battier open. Also, Wade has had trouble getting into the paint this entire series. Double Lebron and he will have zero problems getting into the paint. Bosh is going to be constantly cutting and rolling to the basket too.

I have to say this, you Miami fans do an amazing job of making it seem like you're just some underdogs who had to fight and claw your way back to the top, and not as some super team who had one of the easiest roads to the finals in years.

Do I need to post the analyist predictions? Or the dozens of gaf posts saying that OKC/SA was gonna sweep? Or vegas odds? orrr?

Edit: Also I didn't see it at first but super team? GTFO

We were underdogs this series. We were down in almost every series in these playoffs. We lost Bosh for an important stretch. Last year was an easy road to the finals, this year not so much.

benjipwns

Banned
Do I need to post the analyist predictions?
qQ8VN.png

Well hey now, let's not sell this Celtics team short. KG somehow turned back the clock to '08 and Rondo had maybe his best series ever. If Bosh doesn't come back in time, Miami probably doesn't beat them.

Or are you just a bitter Bulls fan; if so, nvm.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
We were underdogs this series. We were down in almost every series in these playoffs. We lost Bosh for an important stretch. Last year was an easy road to the finals, this year not so much.
Are you kidding? A fucked up Knicks that was cutting itself, an Indiana squad, and a hobbled and old Boston team? Your main damn rival got crippled before you could even face them, lol.

PBY

Banned
Are you kidding? A fucked up Knicks that was cutting itself, an Indiana squad, and a hobbled and old Boston team? Your main damn rival got crippled before you could even face them, lol.

Last year was definitely tougher- but Boston without Bosh wasn't a joke.

We would have DESTROYED the Bulls like we did last year. We tore threw the east last year, how was that hard. Every series in 5 games, wow tough...

This year it was a struggle cause we were hurt and the Celtics gave us a huge fight far more than the Bulls would ever give.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Last year was definitely tougher- but Boston without Bosh wasn't a joke.
I can understand that, but your main rival wasn't even there!

We would have DESTROYED the Bulls like we did last year. We tore threw the east last year, this year it was a struggle cause we were hurt and the Celtics gave us a huge fight far more than the Bulls would ever give.
Heat, without Bosh, would have lost to the Bulls.

Top Bottom