• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Ugh... it's the first time Lebron has faced an elimination game and actually survived...

But yeah, the Celts could beat Wade and Lebron, and half-Bosh. But they can't beat the Heat with a full-Bosh.

Lebron is going to get the Finals MVP, but it's a shame Bosh will still be vastly underrated on this team. Bosh is the one who basically saved their season, especially with Wade still playing mostly terribad.

If OKC can get a convincing win in game 4, then we might still have a series. But I just don't see how that's possible considering how bad the Heat played today and still won....

You won't find any heat fan undervaluing bosh.

I couldn't believe Miami won with their fuckball 2k cheese style last night. Literally almost never fired off a mid-range jumpshot, just threw their bodies in the paint the entire night.

There's no chance the Thunder lose the next game.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I couldn't believe Miami won with their fuckball 2k cheese style last night. Literally almost never fired off a mid-range jumpshot, just threw their bodies in the paint the entire night.

it's hard to understand how Miami won by going for high % shots in the paint?

KingGondo

Banned

I'd agree normally, but it's clear Brooks is clueless about who to play and who gives us the best chance to win, and this is the worst I've seen OKC looks since well before the playoffs. Definitely the worst back-to-back performances I've seen all year.

Ibaka only played 22 minutes, and one of the biggest problems OKC has was rim protection. Fisher has been playing far too much, and Collison should be getting Perk's minutes (although Perk had a decent game last night).

And when KD got his 4th foul, it was idiotic to sit YNB to "teach him a lesson," or whatever. We went 5 minutes without our two best scorers on the floor and coughed up a 10-point lead. Not sure if Brooks got the memo or not, but this is the NBA Fucking Finals and you play to win the games.

I think the Thunder "should" win Tuesday, but my expectations are incredibly low at this point.

effzee

Not a big fan of Westbrook, but agree with most analysts that Brooks took Westbrook out for no reason. Harden was struggling. Durant was sitting cause of foul trouble (CONSPIRACY!) and you also bench the only other offensive option/weapon you have?

In those 5 min that Westbrook and Durant both sat, the Heat climbed right back.

I'd agree normally, but it's clear Brooks is clueless about who to play and who gives us the best chance to win, and this is the worst I've seen OKC looks since well before the playoffs. Definitely the worst back-to-back performances I've seen all year.

Ibaka only played 22 minutes, and one of the biggest problems OKC has was rim protection. Fisher has been playing far too much, and Collison should be getting Perk's minutes (although Perk had a decent game last night).

And when KD got his 4th foul, it was idiotic to sit YNB to "teach him a lesson," or whatever. We went 5 minutes without our two best scorers on the floor and coughed up a 10-point lead. Not sure if Brooks got the memo or not, but this is the NBA Fucking Finals and you play to win the games.

I think the Thunder "should" win Tuesday, but my expectations are incredibly low at this point.

I don't want to come of as cocky or whatever(2011 never forget) but the Thunder have to win next game. For obvious reasons.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't want to come of as cocky or whatever(2011 never forget) but the Thunder have to win next game. For obvious reasons.
I agree.

Outdoor Miner said:
I have to say they do appear to be terribly coached. Is Brooks normally this awful? He looks like he's in way over his head.
His adjustments played a big role in beating the Spurs, but he has failed to make some obvious adjustments against the Heat IMO, especially in his insistence to play Perkins and Fisher heavy minutes.

Our go-to lineup against Miami should be:

YNB
Sefolosha
Harden
Durant
Ibaka

Can't recall if I've seen that lineup once this series.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Chris-Bosh.gif
This made me giggle.

Durant is still shooting like 57% and is averaging 31 a game. It's pretty clear we have no idea what to do with him

OKC's other guys will get on fire next game, I sense it

it's hard to understand how Miami won by going for high % shots in the paint?

There's a difference between attacking the basket and literally only attacking inside or from 3 the entire game. That's NBA 2k basketball. You shouldn't be able to win basketball games without some degree of an inbetween game due to the predictability of the Heats offense. Especially now in the NBA with zone defenses, the Thunder should have shut down anything on the inside and lived and died by Heat jumpshots.

Brooks never gave a single fuck to adjust.

I was confused by Westbrook getting sat. He was in control most of the game and shot well over 50%. If anything we needed more "why not" rather than the reserved overthinking kid we saw last night.

Durant is still shooting like 57% and is averaging 31 a game. It's pretty clear we have no idea what to do with him

OKC's other guys will get on fire next game, I sense it

Yea when the woman last nite asked LBJ post-game about whats the best strategy to guard him he couldn't do anything but laugh with an expression like "bitch you tell me".

I missed all but the last 4 minutes of the game last night. I was just looking over the stats to try and get a feel for how the game went and I was really shocked at how often the Heat got to the FT line. Was the officiating bad or did the Thunder just not adjust to the Heat attacking the rim?

The Heat allowed the Thunder to tally 24 fast break points in Game 1. Games 2 and 3? 23 points combined
OKC recorded just 11 assists on their 33 field goals. That's the lowest assisted percentage (33%) for OKC this season

These are two damning stats for OKC(and of course last game's freethrows). They don't mean much in regards to next games but they have to adjust, which they are perfectly capable of doing.

I just don't think we are out of the water yet.

KingGondo

Banned
I missed all but the last 4 minutes of the game last night. I was just looking over the stats to try and get a feel for how the game went and I was really shocked at how often the Heat got to the FT line. Was the officiating bad or did the Thunder just not adjust to the Heat attacking the rim?
The Heat were attacking the rim, but there were some phantom calls as well.

Nothing too egregious.

I'm more impressed than anything that the Heat made so many of their FTs. You have to give them credit.

Vire

The problem with Collison is that he's a foul machine. He get's in foul trouble almost the instant you put him in.

Fisher played pretty well on the offensive end as well, with a four point play and another three... his defense though is suspect.

What I'm more amazed by than anything is the Thunder's inability to hit their foul shots. They usually are on point with that stuff. That really hurt them last night.

The problem with Collison is that he's a foul machine. He get's in foul trouble almost the instant you put him in.

Fisher played pretty well on the offensive end as well, with a four point play and another three... his defense though is suspect.

Ain't nothin suspect about it. Im pretty sure I could give you 10 on him.

Nothing too egregious.

I'm more impressed than anything that the Heat made so many of their FTs. You have to give them credit.

Gotchya, the Heat's shooting streak at the stripe has been impressive. The Thunder on the otherhand, not so much. I'm pretty confident that isn't going to continue happening though. Hopefully, it'll turn around on Tuesday because I want to see a 7 game series.

Nothing too egregious.

Yeah I would say that is the strangest part of this series. Although I'm not sure how to feel----we're so used to seeing the Heat have these terribad stretches at the FT line that it's become the custom. But there was a stretch in the regular season when they were this good too and Wade had hit like 24 straight.

maybe the heat busted out that noah arc machine again

Vire

I can't believe we won with Chalmers shooting 1-8 and Bosh 3-12...

Hope they get their shit together in a hurry.

ToxicAdam

If the Heat win this year, it's going to really temper my enjoyment of the playoffs. Much like the way the Yankees won in 2008. It's not nearly as fun watching them fail in the playoffs anymore.

Trey

I can't believe we won with Chalmers shooting 1-8 and Bosh 3-12...

Hope they get their shit together in a hurry.

Thunder shot like shit from the free throw line and Durant put himself into foul trouble again (even if the fourth foul was weak). So believe it.

Both teams need to play better. LeBron has gotten it going two games to Durant's one. That's been the difference.

KingGondo

Banned
ph33nix said:
Yeah I would say that is the strangest part of this series. Although I'm not sure how to feel----we're so used to seeing the Heat have these terribad stretches at the FT line that it's become the custom. But there was a stretch in the regular season when they were this good too and Wade had hit like 24 straight.

maybe the heat busted out that noah arc machine again
The bottom line is that neither team has played that great in games 2 or 3, but the Thunder have played worse than the Heat in both as well.

I still think OKC will win game 4, but we've left ourselves no margin for error. If LeBron goes HAM like he did in game 6 against Boston and they hit outside shots, it won't matter how well we play and the series will be over.

I'm mainly pissed because we have the tools to convincingly beat Miami, but those tools are not being effectively utilized.

It's one thing if you're simply losing to a superior team, but the main factor in this series is that OKC has completely shit the bed in games 2 and 3.

CrazyDogg77 said:
I still think OKC wins this series. Am I alone here?
We're in better shape than we were after the first two games against San Antonio, but that isn't saying much.

Puddles

Banned

The officiating was bad. Phantom calls against the Thunder, and they allowed Bosh to get away with some "blocks" that had definitely contact.

It's one thing if you're simply losing to a superior team, but the main factor in this series is that OKC has completely shit the bed in games 2 and 3.

you're not exactly playing against scrubs. you're playing against a team that was 2 wins from the finals last year. I didn't get to say I felt Miami was the superior team but lost because LeBron shit the bed, I had to take it in the ass and hear this "team this 4th quarter that" shit

they play the best D you've seen all playoffs and have the best all around player. you shouldn't sound so shocked

Shitting the bed is what the Lakers did against the Thunder when they could have been up 3-1, I wouldn't say the Thunder shit the bed, they just had terrible coaching and an overall bad gameplan.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The Heat were in this exact position last year.

They can't get complacent now. Win one more game at home, and they'll be in great shape.

KingGondo

Banned
you're not exactly playing against scrubs. you're playing against a team that was 2 wins from the finals last year. I didn't get to say I felt Miami was the superior team but lost because LeBron shit the bed, I had to take it in the ass and hear this "team this 4th quarter that" shit

they play the best D you've seen all playoffs and have the best all around player. you shouldn't sound so shocked
I've given Miami a lot of credit, but it's undeniable that OKC has been the victim of some weird flukes in the first three games.

- Battier shooting over 73% from 3
- KD getting 5 fouls called on him 2 games in a row, after it only happening 3 times in the regular season
- Miami shooting far above their season average at the FT line for 2 games
- OKC shooting far below their season average at the FT line for 2 games
- Miami winning in spite of shooting an atrocious percentage from range in game 3

Miami's D has been OK, but I'd mainly say that they've dragged us down into a fuckball style of play and Brooks has utterly failed to put an effective lineup on the floor in games 2 or 3. Watching that horrible 4th quarter last night, it wasn't like, "Wow, Miami's defense is killing it!" It was more like watching two wounded dogs without teeth gnaw each other to death. Just kinda sad.

I've given Miami a lot of credit, but it's undeniable that OKC has been the victim of some weird flukes in the first three games.

- KD getting 5 fouls called on him 2 games in a row, after it only happening 3 times in the regular season
- Miami winning in spite of shooting an atrocious percentage from range in game 3

Miami's D has been OK, but I'd mainly say that they've dragged us down into a fuckball style of play and Brooks has utterly failed to put an effective lineup on the floor in games 2 or 3. Watching that horrible 4th quarter last night, it wasn't like, "Wow, Miami's defense is killing it!" It was more like watching two wounded dogs without teeth gnaw each other to death. Just kinda sad.

Thats usually the product of two great defenses. See MIA vs IND, or BOS, or CHI.

Honestly even with battier's shooting we are still getting around our average contributions from our role players.

PBY

Banned

The Durant fouls aren't weird to me- he's actually fouling. He's also playing Lebron whose playing extremely aggressively.

KingKong

1. kind of flukey but almost all of them are wide open shots
2. he's getting stupid fouls and that's all on him. what's the point of reaching at LeBron on a fast break?
3. that's almost all on LeBron and the fluke was how poorly he was shooting FTs before the finals
4. they're shooting below season average but the real issue is how many FTs they're taking. Durant with 6 and 4 in the last 2 games?
5. teams win games with defense and in the paint, don't see why the range matters.

Top Bottom