• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Which would make their route even tougher.

Miami played like shit when they played shit teams. Their bench was probably among the worst if not the worst through the first 3 rounds. Then Battier went into god mode.

And it wasn't a product of finally getting open looks, he was clanging open 3s all playoffs, he got hot at the perfect time.

Also Wade's dramatic swings from complete shit to solid #2 option have been far less dramatic this finals. Things are clicking for Miami at just the right time. I think most Heat fans would agree.

Your argument is as bad as when people refer to stats as the end all be all to player evaluation.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Kevin Durant sued by 80's hair metal guitarist

Kevin Durant is having a bad week. Down 3-1 to the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals and now getting sued over his nickname, "Durantula."

In court documents obtained by TMZ, guitarist Mark Durante claims he registered "Durantula" as a trademark, and Durant has been cashing in on his terrible nickname good name.

Durante -- who played with such memorable acts as Public Enemy (not that Public Enemy), The Aliens, the Slammin Watusis, and The Next Big Thing -- says in the lawsuit that he sent Durant's representatives several letters "demanding they stop using the nickname."

The Durant camp denies using the nickname at all.

Durante also claims Nike has used the name in conjunction with a shoe campaign.

Miami played like shit when they played shit teams. Their bench was probably among the worst if not the worst through the first 3 rounds. Then Battier went into god mode.

And it wasn't a product of finally getting open looks, he was clanging open 3s all playoffs, he got hot at the perfect time.

Also Wade's dramatic swings from complete shit to solid #2 option have been far less dramatic this finals. Things are clicking for Miami at just the right time. I think most Heat fans would agree.

Your argument is as bad as when people refer to stats as the end all be all to player evaluation.

We lost Bosh. End of story.

PBY

Banned

People forget the single biggest factor every time: bosh.

benjipwns

Banned
Which would make their route even tougher.
You realize you just repeated your argument to my counter. The Heat may have had the tougher route, or not, we can't tell from their record against that route. Imagine if they won every game by 50 and swept 12-0 to the Finals, while the Thunder won in game seven of every series on a last shot in double OT.
Hey hey hey hey hey

Another huge factor for sure, I still don't think Miami wins without Battier's insane production and Wade's consistency.

In this series yeah but I was talking about why our road to the finals seemed harder than it really was. That said it sort of helped us to build some confidence that we can come back from behind, we dont always have to be a front running team to win.

The way you guys underrate and devalue the East while at the same time circle-jerk and overrate the West is fucking hilarious. The bottom of the east is trash but the mid to bottom west is nothing special at all.

The Heat who people here said probably wouldn't make it out of the second round of the mighty mighty west has a chance to down the cream of the crop in 5. Less games than the Celtcis and Pacers, and the same as a beatup as Knicks team. And this is a team that has basically swept the first two rounds and who beat another team who swept the first two teams in the conference.

Give me a fucking break, the West has maybe two legit contenders and one is old as fuck and probably not legit anyway.

KingGondo

Banned
The difference in this particular series hasn't been Bosh--it's been the Heat's roleplayers like Battier and Chalmers outplaying Harden.

The way you guys underrate and devalue the East while at the same time circle-jerk and overrate the West is fucking hilarious. The bottom of the east is trash but the mid to bottom west is nothing special at all.

The Heat who people here said probably wouldn't make it out of the second round of the mighty mighty west has a chance to down the cream of the crop in 5. Less games than the Celtcis and Pacers, and the same as a beatup as Knicks team. And this is a team that has basically swept the first two rounds and who beat another team who swept the first two teams in the conference.

Give me a fucking break, the West has maybe two legit contenders and one is old as fuck and probably not legit anyway.

Heat beat teams with Wade showing up half the time, role players being really bad and missing Bosh for a stint.

I doubt they could overcome those setbacks in the west, not sure why that's hard to understand. Their role players were cold, Wade was off and on, and Bosh was missing for some games. You should be thanking the weak east for giving miami enough time to regroup.

edit: and two contenders and one fringe team is one contender and one fring team more than the east.

The difference in this particular series hasn't been Bosh--it's been the Heat's roleplayers like Battier and Chalmers outplaying Harden.

For sure but Bosh is needed for all parts of this team to work correctly. This team is finally working as it was supposed to from the beginning. The big three causing havoc on the defense to the point where our role players will be wide open and all they have to do is make a consistent shot. They are finally making a consistent shot.

Heat beat teams with Wade showing up half the time, role players being really bad and missing Bosh for a stint.

I doubt they could overcome those setbacks in the west, not sure why that's hard to understand. Their role players were cold, Wade was off and on, and Bosh was missing for some games. You should be thanking the weak east for giving miami enough time to regroup.

The west teams are just as mediocre. Please. Anybody not named OKC or maybe SA are nothing more than regular season paper tigers.

And Heat and Bulls are legit contenders. SA and OKC have showed they can't really handle great D.

KingGondo

Banned
For sure but Bosh is needed for all parts of this team to work correctly. This team is finally working as it was supposed to from the beginning. The big three causing havoc on the defense to the point where our role players will be wide open and all they have to do is make a consistent shot. They are finally making a consistent shot.
Bosh has played well for sure. At the same time, the kind of contributions Miami has gotten from guys like Chalmers, Battier and Cole have to be beyond your wildest dreams.

Then again, I'm sure Spurs fans felt the same way when Ibaka went 11-11.

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind seeing Ibaka getting some jumpers tonight. It's a reliable shot and could help open things up for us on offense.

You realize you just repeated your argument to my counter. The Heat may have had the tougher route, or not, we can't tell from their record against that route. Imagine if they won every game by 50 and swept 12-0 to the Finals, while the Thunder won in game seven of every series on a last shot in double OT.

Of course we can tell from their record against that route.

Whether you want to chalk it up to bad play, not giving a fuck, or Bosh's injury, the Heat were challenged much more than OKC. I am looking at this from the perspective of how much either team was challenged by their opponents. Some people are looking at it from a perspective of "well, Dallas would beat NYK and Indiana, LAL would beat NYK and Indiana, SAS would beat all 3, well duh Miami had an easy route!". That's the wrong way to look at it. People want to overrate the fuck out of my Mavericks and the Lakers, that just makes my case for me. As good as people think OKC's opponents were, they were no challenge for the mighty Thunder. They were tested only once, against the only really good team they faced, the Spurs.

It all comes down to the Bosh injury for Miami. With Bosh I'd bet they dispatch Indiana in the same 5 it took OKC to beat LAL and Boston in the same 6 it took OKC to beat SAS. And none of this matters anyway, in a head to head best of 7 series, the Thunder are losing 3-1. I doubt the NBA is going to make Miami win 5 or 6 times because GAF thinks the Lakers are better than Indiana. So I'm not gonna waste any more time debating it on my end ;) Hope the king gets crowned tonight.

KingGondo

Banned
This series would've been so much better if Maynor was playing.

I've haven't heard any reports on his recovery. How's he doing, Gondo?
Darnell Mayberry said he was running stairs with the benchwarmers in practice the other day and apparently looked good. He should be fine next season, and I think he'll recover well--he doesn't rely on his athleticism too much.

That was a big loss when he went down, for sure. Fisher has played pretty well, but Brooks likes him WAAAAY too much.

charsace

Or Team A wasn't as good?

But team A is winning the finals. The Knicks took one from the heat. And probably could have taken another game if they had another player to help Carmelo on the offensive end. The Thunder have more firepower than the Knicks and they look like they will lose 4-1 like the knicks.

benjipwns

Banned
Of course we can tell from their record against that route.
... So I'm not gonna waste any more time debating it on my end ;) Hope the king gets crowned tonight.
You realize that I'm not saying anything about any team in this playoff itself, but the notion you put forward that the team that has more losses in their conference had the tougher path. Right?

I'm not the only one here Best-GAF am I?
....lolwut.

East is weaker than the west but that doesn't make the west less weak? Am I reading this right?
I read it different and backed off.
But team A is winning the finals. The Knicks took one from the heat. And probably could have taken another game if they had another player to help Carmelo on the offensive end. The Thunder have more firepower than the Knicks and they look like they will lose 4-1 like the knicks.
A team can sweep someone by one point every game and it's a different series where they win by 50 in every win and lose by one in every loss.

The series' are clearly comparable when you look at how close each game was.

SamuraiX-

Darnell Mayberry said he was running stairs with the benchwarmers in practice the other day and apparently looked good. He should be fine next season, and I think he'll recover well--he doesn't rely on his athleticism too much.

That was a big loss when he went down, for sure. Fisher has played pretty well, but Brooks likes him WAAAAY too much.

Good to hear. Really hope he manages a full recovery.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't think Stern would allow this series to end already....it be better for the ratings to go game 6-7.
I was counting on that shit last game. :(

But yeah, the ratings would be bananas if OKC won two straight and forced a game 7.

SamuraiX- said:
Good to hear. Really hope he manages a full recovery.
Me too. I'd love to keep him, but at the very least he should be nice trade bait.

charsace

The series' are clearly comparable when you look at how close each game was.

Funny guy.

Game 2 and Game 5 the knicks were hanging with them. The knicks ran out of gas and were hurt by the lack of a second perimeter scorer to help carmelo. Chandler and Amare can give the knicks 30ppg in the front court and that's enough. The knicks not having a second wing that could give them a steady 18ppg hurt them. This is where not having Lin really hurt the knicks.

kobe_bryant_jersey_24.jpg

#1 Jersey. Good taste America, good taste.

Lakers sucked. Moral victory sweeping them isn't an accomplishment.

Kad I just saw you in another thread! Kind of shocked me it was like seeing a polar bear in Arizona.

What?

That doesn't look like Darko Milicic's jersey to me.

Lol. Nicely done.

The west is a weak ass conference. The east is a little bit weaker.

There was literally one team in the east who didn't suffer from injury.

The East was weak prior to being weakened by injury. Billups was the only notable WC player who missed time or was hobbled.

Compared to Lin, Amare, Dwight, Rose, Granger, Shump, Bosh, Ray, Peaches, Josh Smith

...come on man. East sucked really hard this year. I expect the EC to be much better next season.

thekad

Banned
Moris bringing up Lin, Shumpert, and Pietrus :lol

Anyway, East might be worse next year with Rose out, KG possibly leaving, and the Knicks being the Knicks.

There was literally one team in the east who didn't suffer from injury.

The East was weak prior to being weakened by injury. Billups was the only notable WC player who missed time or was hobbled.

Compared to Lin, Amare, Dwight, Rose, Granger, Shump, Bosh, Ray, Peaches, Josh Smith

...come on man. East sucked really hard this year. I expect the EC to be much better next season.

Seriously every good Eastern had a major injury.

DJ88

I'm trying so hard to get tickets to this game. I don't care how high I'm sitting, I just want the chance to possibly see one of the biggest moments in sports in person. A chance like that may never come again in a lifetime. There's a risk of wasting money if they lose, but the payoff if they win is so huge. I live so close to the arena that I can buy tickets literally minutes before tip off so I'm really hoping they come down by then.

PBY

Banned
I'm trying so hard to get tickets to this game. I don't care how high I'm sitting, I just want the chance to possibly see one of the biggest moments in sports in person. A chance like that may never come again in a lifetime. I live so close to the arena that I can buy tickets literally minutes before tip off so I'm really hoping they come down by then.
Good luck man- if I were in Miami I'd do the same.

I'm trying so hard to get tickets to this game. I don't care how high I'm sitting, I just want the chance to possibly see one of the biggest moments in sports in person. A chance like that may never come again in a lifetime. There's a risk of wasting money if they lose, but the payoff if they win is so huge. I live so close to the arena that I can buy tickets literally minutes before tip off so I'm really hoping they come down by then.
Get em...totally worth it

Top Bottom