• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

KingGondo

Banned
The Olympics are a bigger deal to me know than they were in the Dream Team days, although the cultural impact of that team was bigger.

That was cool and all, but the level of competition was laughable. An Olympic Gold Medal means something now when you're going against teams like Spain.

The Olympics are a bigger deal to me know than they were in the Dream Team days, although the cultural impact of that team was bigger.

That was cool and all, but the level of competition was laughable. An Olympic Gold Medal means something now when you're going against teams like Spain.

I get that but this season was a big cluster fuck. Probably shouldn't have even happened.

PBY

Banned
Gondo how you feeling about tonight? Not trying to be a dick, I'm actually nervous- more than anything legitimately curious about how you feel considering how I felt last year facing elimination in the finals.

Game 6 would be tough as hell for the Heat to win in OKC.

Tonight is so huge.

quin-snyder-0410-307.jpg

What are you talking about?

Aside from the horrible ass ball that was played early on, the kinds of minutes these players have played this compressed season is highly detrimental and trying to add an Olympic campaign on top is stupid as fuck.

A player like Wade 30 years old and is reaching 50000 minutes played and getting his knee drained every other week. He needs to take this off-season off. Lebron too. Let the young guns like Durant and WB or the early exits like Melo and Kobe go get the gold.

You're a game away from a title. Are you that afraid of an asterisk?

wait what?

It's hard to count the Thunder out, but I think so many close losses and a 3-1 series has to break you if you're a young team. Especially the last loss coming off of a game where you led by 17 points at one time.

Also, Perk is asking for more minutes.

charsace

I'm designing a website for a local church. I needs some tips and/or links. My plan is to use webmatrix to work on the site.

If someone could make a thread that would be good too. Fucking junior shit is limiting me badly.

SamuraiX-

Also, Perk is asking for more minutes.

Source? No way this can be true. He's already averaging 24 MPG in the Finals.

Hilarious that Nick Collison has been the Thunder's most productive big in this series, yet he's getting the least playing time between himself, Perkins, and Ibaka.

I mean, really. I'm surprised Brooks hasn't at least tried to play Nzar over Perk for at least a few minutes.

KingGondo

Banned
Gondo how you feeling about tonight? Not trying to be a dick, I'm actually nervous- more than anything legitimately curious about how you feel considering how I felt last year facing elimination in the finals.
I'm nervous, but there's nothing to lose. They've been resilient all year, but facing elimination on the road after 3 losses like that might be too much to overcome.

I just hope the team comes out and plays balls-to-the-wall like they did in the first quarter of game 3 and brings the same defensive intensity. If they go down fighting, that's all I can really ask for--but if the series comes back to OKC I think there's a good chance of a game 7.

And it would be really, really nice if Harden doesn't shit the bed again. We might actually have a chance if that happens. I'm mainly bracing for Brooks' idiotic rotations to continue again and hurt us--get ready for lots of Perk and Fisher.

What drives me nuts is that Brooks seems to be coaching not to lose--if we played the right matchups and rotations, I think OKC could win by 10-15. Instead, we're leaving the games up to a few plays down the stretch that haven't gone our way yet.

SamuraiX- said:
Perk was subtly critical of why Brooks went away from the big lineup in the first half of game 4. I think that's what he's referring to.

Hilarious that Nick Collison has been the Thunder's most productive big in this series, yet he's getting the least playing time between himself, Perkins, and Ibaka.

I mean, really. I'm surprised Brooks hasn't at least tried to play Nzar over Perk for at least a few minutes.

Pretty sure Nick Collison is one of those players who look a lot better when he plays 20 mpg instead of 30.

SamuraiX-

Pretty sure Nick Collison is one of those players who look a lot better when he plays 20 mpg instead of 30.

And I'm pretty sure Perkins has been about as useful as a 270 lb paperweight this series.

Even if Collison provides 0 offense during whatever time he plays, his pick'n'roll + help defense instantly make the Thunder better when he's on the floor.

I'm with him. If the USA got Silver every time but the Heat won the title every year I would be totally okay with that

what in the blue hell are you smoking? USA getting the gold is definitely important! You're giving Heat-age a bad image brah!

Did you not see what happened last time we didn't get Gold? it motivated the entire association to make a team labeled 'redeem team'. All the players played their asses off to regain the gold.

If the players themselves care that much, then as a supposed fan of the sport, so should you.
I'm just going to count that comment as sarcasm or a troll. cause seriously brah, seriously...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
My shift at work today starts in five minutes and ends at 7. I'll have plenty of time to talk roundball before the series ends tonight.

Fjordson

Lebron would be fine playing in the Olympics I think.

Wade? I dunno. Sounds like his knee isn't in great shape. Wouldn't blame him too much if he didn't play.

And we don't need another true 2 guard anyways, just put one of our small forwards there after Kobe. Or Westbrook.

Well I guess not asking for more minutes explicitly. But he made statement after the game complaining about the line-up change during their 17 point lead (where Harden came in for him).

PBY

Banned
I'm nervous, but there's nothing to lose. They've been resilient all year, but facing elimination on the road after 3 losses like that might be too much to overcome.

I just hope the team comes out and plays balls-to-the-wall like they did in the first quarter of game 3 and brings the same defensive intensity. If they go down fighting, that's all I can really ask for--but if the series comes back to OKC I think there's a good chance of a game 7.

And it would be really, really nice if Harden doesn't shit the bed again. We might actually have a chance if that happens. I'm mainly bracing for Brooks' idiotic rotations to continue again and hurt us--get ready for lots of Perk and Fisher.

What drives me nuts is that Brooks seems to be coaching not to lose--if we played the right matchups and rotations, I think OKC could win by 10-15. Instead, we're leaving the games up to a few plays down the stretch that haven't gone our way yet.

Perk was subtly critical of why Brooks went away from the big lineup in the first half of game 4. I think that's what he's referring to.
I totally feel you- last year I felt the same way. Weirdly, I'm super tense for tonight, it's gonna be a grind. I just want an exciting 48 minutes.

Fjordson

No way Lebron chokes it away tonight. No way. Even if the Thunder go off, Lebron is going to be playing with too much desperation. Betting on a huge triple double for him tonight.

Would have much rather seen OKC win it all, but Lebron has just been too good.

KingGondo

Banned
And I'm pretty sure Perkins has been about as useful as a 270 lb paperweight this series.

Even if Collison provides 0 offense during whatever time he plays, his pick'n'roll + help defense instantly make the Thunder better when he's on the floor.
Yep. He's smart, and he's actually more effective than Ibaka defensively against a team like the Heat because of his ability to rotate, take charges, and anticipate drives.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ibaka and Collison play next to each other. That was an effective frontcourt before Perk was acquired.

Bumblebeetuna said:
OKC lost 3 games. Apparently their path was easier.
What does this even mean?

No way Lebron chokes it away tonight. No way. Even if the Thunder go off, Lebron is going to be playing with too much desperation. Betting on a huge triple double for him tonight.

If OKC shows it up it won't matter how big LeBron is.

Fjordson

Yep. He's smart, and he's actually more effective than Ibaka defensively against a team like the Heat because of his ability to rotate, take charges, and anticipate drives.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ibaka and Collison play next to each other. That was an effective frontcourt before Perk was acquired.
Yeah, Collison has been really solid.

If Brooks doesn't adjust his front court rotation at least somewhat tonight then he's fucked in the head.

If OKC shows it up it won't matter how big LeBron is.
Nah, you're right. Especially if Harden somehow learns how to play basketball again. I'm being hyperbolic. I'll be damn surprised, though.

SamuraiX-

It wouldn't matter how focused LeBron was if Brooks knew a damn thing about making adjustments with defensive assignments and player rotations.

Maybe he had an epiphany in the past 48 hours. Probably not though.

Emwitus

Aside from the horrible ass ball that was played early on, the kinds of minutes these players have played this compressed season is highly detrimental and trying to add an Olympic campaign on top is stupid as fuck.

A player like Wade 30 years old and is reaching 50000 minutes played and getting his knee drained every other week. He needs to take this off-season off. Lebron too. Let the young guns like Durant and WB or the early exits like Melo and Kobe go get the gold.

wait what?

Poor 5 ring kobe, all he can play for now is a gold medal..

Fjordson

It wouldn't matter how focused LeBron was if Brooks knew a damn thing about making adjustments with defensive assignments and player rotations.

Maybe he had an epiphany in the past 48 hours. Probably not though.
This is true. Especially that front court.

Coach Nick's breakdown of game 4 said Ibaka should guard Lebron. Interesting thought.

diehard

Fleer
Playoffs are all about matchups, i still believe the Spurs would roll the Heat.
LOL. Only issue i have with this statement is the celtics has far better defense than those 3 teams combined....

and the Spurs have better offense than those 3 teams combined.

Fjordson

Didn't Ibaka try a couple times and he wasn't fast enough laterally to stop his drives?
Yeah, I don't know how well it would work. Could be another Brandon Bass type matchup for Lebron.

I guess he could just keep a big cushion and try to keep him shooting slightly contested jumpers, but I dunno.

PBY

Banned
Playoffs are all about matchups, i still believe the Spurs would roll the Heat.
I don't disagree. I also think that people massively underrate the pacers and celtics while overrating the mavs and lakers as far as competition goes this year. The Spurs were beastly though.

Emwitus

I don't disagree. I also think that people massively underrate the pacers and celtics while overrating the mavs and lakers as far as competition goes this year. The Spurs were beastly though.

Yup. Didn't indiana have like the fourth best record this year? And they beat Lakers and mavs.

SamuraiX-

Didn't Ibaka try a couple times and he wasn't fast enough laterally to stop his drives?

That's what I remember from Game 1/2 in OKC. But Coach Nick certainly does have a point that Brooks should at least give it a shot if LeBron is gonna keep posting up Harden.

Ironclad logic here.

The Knicks, Pacers, and Celtics are definitely tougher competition than the Mavs, Lakers, and Spurs.

Seems like pretty simple logic to me.

Team A lost 6 games on the way to the Finals.
Team B lost 3 games on the way to the Finals.

Looks like Team A had a tougher route to the Finals.

SamuraiX-

DarnellMayberry
Officials for tonight's Game 5 of the NBA Finals are Dan Crawford, Monty McCutchen and Derrick Stafford. The alternate is Tony Brothers.

Congratulations to the Miami Heat, 2011-2012 NBA Champions**

Being mostly sarcastic, but I'm anticipating a combined +60 FTA from both teams tonight.

KingGondo

Banned
Talking about defensive matchups is stupid as long as Brooks is going to start Ibaka and Perkins together. There's no good way to defend the Heat's smallball lineup with those guys.

In a perfect world, the defensive matchups would be:

Westbrook - Wade
Sefolosha - LeBron
Harden - Chalmers
Durant - Battier
Ibaka/Collison - Bosh

Bumblebeetuna said:
Looks like Team A had a tougher route to the Finals.
How's the weather in the Land of Zero Context?

Top Bottom