• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Thats just not true. Even ignoring big men, guards like Kobe and Jordan are incredibly gifted genetically which allowed them to do things like back people up and shoot fadeaways

Edit: I mean you saw what Kobe is like this year, he has to take more and more difficult shots because he cant get by players or to his spots easier and he cant play real defense evey posession

you are adorable

i just want to pinch your cheeks

hqdefault.jpg

I don't want to watch the game at all tonight...

But it's only fair that all the Lebron ball-washers in NBA-Age finally get a chance to shove it in my face, so I'll be here tonight to take all the lumps and get my shit pushed in. My body is ready.

Though I can't promise any meltdowns because honestly I was never a fan of the OKC v. Heat matchup. I never thought OKC matched up well with the Heat and they lacked the experience to win the Finals in their first go-round, imo. It's a shame the Spurs just ran out of gas after playing godly for a such a long stretch... Once Boston and the Spurs blew their series leads, I knew it was over and Lebron would very likely get his first ring*.

I was hoping OKC could have at least made it an interesting series... but they've really only dominated one quarter out of the past 4 games and the coaching has been horrendous. Durant gets in foul trouble, so you also take out Westbrook for over 5 minutes? Really? Brooks has been a joke character this series and is making Spo look like Phil Jackson.

Ironically the ingredients have still be there for Lebron to choke in the 4th quarters. His outside shooting has been dreadful in the Finals yet again and he's had stretches where he over-defers. But OKC just hasn't been able to dial up the pressure on the Heat in the same way the Mavs were able to last year. So it looks like the small adjustments Lebron made this year will be good enough for him to get his first championship against the flaccid Thunder.

KingKong

What makes you think the same won't happen to LBJ. And he'll have to develop a much more consistent jumper.

It will happen, and he's going to be a lot less effective (although I expect him to do more posting up and play less aggressive defense), but he's only been in the league for 9 years so he should still be on this level until 31-32

Heat are totally going to win tonight, but even if LeBron win 5 more titles I still wouldn't put him above Jordan.

It's not just championship or stats that makes me put Jordan over all other players. It's a combination of everything from his championship, awards, stats, style of play in crunch time, attitude, defense, fucking retiring for 2 years coming back and pulling off another three peat.

Add it all up and you kind of realize no one is even close to pulling the shit MJ did, and probably won't be for a very long ass time.

Totally agree.

I do think LeBron is going to have to become more of a defense-focused PF later in his career and he may lose a lot of his scoring by 33 or so (sort of like how Wilt's career progressed), but he could still be a great player.

I doubt he wins many more rings after this year though...

I do think LeBron is going to have to become more of a defense-focused PF later in his career and he may lose a lot of his scoring by 33 or so (sort of like how Wilt's career progressed), but he could still be a great player.

I doubt he wins many more rings after this year though...
Depends on what the Heat do with Wade imo

I still see the West as far better than the east, and improving, so who knows...

Lebatard posed an interesting question.

As a fan going to the game would you rather have a blowout and celebrating for many minutes before it ends or have the game end on a Lebron jumpshot for the win, but you dont know if it goes in or not.

Yes the drama of Lebron potentially ending the series doing what everyone said he couldn't do would be so incredible but damn it no more drama, I just want to celebrate tonight. If we win of course.

Fjordson

Heat are totally going to win tonight, but even if LeBron win 5 more titles I still wouldn't put him above Jordan.

It's not just championship or stats that makes me put Jordan over all other players. It's a combination of everything from his championship, awards, stats, style of play in crunch time, attitude, defense, fucking retiring for 2 years coming back and pulling off another three peat.

Add it all up and you kind of realize no one is even close to pulling the shit MJ did, and probably won't be for a very long ass time.
Totally. I feel like some people (not really here on GAF, but in general) who are quick to make that comparison are forgetting just how great MJ was.

I do think that if this year's version of Lebron is here to stay, particularly this year's playoffs Lebron, then he's going to be an all-time great, but much more time is needed to dictate that.

Is that much time really needed to call LeBron an all-time great if the Heat win tonight? He has three MVPs and would have an alpha ring to go along with some of the most dominant prime statistics of all time and having demonstrated incredible impact with how dramatically the Cavs fell off after he left. He'll have already done a good bit more than guys like Jerry West or Oscar Robertson who are always considered all-time greats...

DY_nasty

Is that much time really needed to call LeBron an all-time great if the Heat win tonight? He has three MVPs and would have an alpha ring to go along with some of the most dominant prime statistics of all time and having demonstrated incredible impact with how dramatically the Cavs fell off after he left. He'll have already done a good bit more than guys like Jerry West or Oscar Robertson who are always considered all-time greats...

He's a HoFer

A lockout ring is still a lockout ring though

DY_nasty

Someone (you?) said most elite players are skill first and athletics second unlike LeBron and that's not true at all
I didn't say anything like that at all.

And hand size isn't a measure of greatness. That just sounds ridiculous.

Canuck76

Banned
I truly have no idea what's going to happen tonight.

I just don't want this to be the last Thunder game. It's a long wait until October. :(

I have a veeeeeery interesting feeling about tonight. A lot of people coming out of the woodwork stating Lebron "will" get a chip and all this stuff.

Last time they were saying that the Mav's came back and destroyed.

I don't know. I'm a betting man, but I wouldn't bet on anyone tonight.

Fjordson

Is that much time really needed to call LeBron an all-time great if the Heat win tonight?
I think so. To be clear, when I say all-time great, I'm talking like top 5 or top 10. He gets a few more rings after this one and he'll be there.

But you're not totally wrong. His career thus far already has him on his way to the Hall.

miami fans you guys dont like wade anymore or something? He is getting a second ring and no one is mentioning it.

Miami fans are front-runners. Lebron is their new hotness so now they have no problem with shitting on Wade all the time, even though Wade was their "boy" for the last 7 -8 years.

I think so. To be clear, when I say all-time great, I'm talking like top 5 or top 10. He gets a few more rings after this one and he'll be there.

But you're not totally wrong. His career thus far already has him on his way to the Hall.

I think he only needs two rings to be compared to guys like Wilt or Bird or Hakeem, but sure.

Now this shit gets me mad.

Lebron is on a team with DWAYNE fucking WADE and CHRIS fucking BOSH. How on earth could this championship be classified as an "alpha ring". It's a gotdam super team!

Yeah Wade isn't playing great, but the Celtics still spent most of the series double teaming him. You don't think that didn't make things easier for Lebron? And the Boston series still didn't turn in the Heat's favor until Bosh returned and started playing meaningful minutes.

It's such a fucking shame that history is already being rewritten to accommodate the Lebron narrative.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Lebron is on a team with DWAYNE fucking WADE and CHRIS fucking BOSH. How on earth could this championship be classified as an "alpha ring". It's a gotdam super team!

Yeah Wade isn't playing great, but the Celtics still spent most of the series double teaming him. You don't think that didn't make things easier for Lebron? And the Boston series still didn't turn in the Heat's favor until Bosh returned and started playing meaningful minutes.

It's such a fucking shame that history is already being rewritten to accommodate the Lebron narrative.

He took the easy way out. Double * championship.

effzee

Miami fans are front-runners. Lebron is their new hotness so now they have no problem with shitting on Wade all the time, even though Wade was their "boy" for the last 7 -8 years.

Not from Miami but I am rooting for the Heat this finals. I think the reason Wade is being shitted on is because outside of two games against the Pacers, he has been extremely inconsistent, turns the ball over, and just doesn't seem to be into the game.

Wade of old was amazing. Old Wade is sometimes there sometimes not.

I played a simulation of tonights game in NBA Live. Heat won 67 to 48. LeBron had 39 points on 9/16, Wade had 8 points on 4/8, Durant had 15 points on 5/9, Westbrook had 4 points on 1/14. Yes One for Fourteen. I expect tonights results to be similar.

Canuck76

Banned

Please Stern, retroactively remove Wade and Bosh's All NBA-team and all-star nods.

The gospel of Lebron must grow as time goes on.

effzee

So none of Kobe's rings are alpha rings?

Some of you are such big jokes. Keep moving the goalpost further.

HE PLAYERS WITH SUPERSTARS! HE HAD AN EASY ROAD! ROSE WAS HURT! BOSTON IS OLD! REFS! CONSPIRACY!

Yet if Miami loses its all him, he isn't man enough, clutch enough, or MJ enough. Then have 10 excuses ready handy if they do win.

BTW I think OKC wins tonight. Way too much talk about Miami already won it and they are going to come out slow, fall behind 10+ points, and then spend the rest of the game catching up.

Top Bottom