• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

And?

We are just saying Dirk wasn't on a team that had other max-contract franchise players. Dirk was basically the only superstar/all-star scoring threat, the rest were strong role-players. The Pistons in '04 didn't have any superstars whatsoever.

Lebron can have his championship but stop acting like this championship wasn't anything but the least competitive way for Lebron to get a ring.

It's like the kids who stack their NBA 2K teams with 99 max slider characters so they can unlock all the achievements. Yes an championship is a championship, but by Lebron choosing to go to Miami he chose to get his first ring on the rookie settings. Don't cry to me if that bothers you. It's the truth.

In his defense, he's the best player on the Heat by far. Bosh and Wade are third tier players compared to Lebron. I also think that Lebron is a legitimate MVP. His fingerprints are all over almost every facet of the game.

People will not remember Lebron pairing with two all stars. They'll remember the multiple championships he will win.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
People equating what Lebron/Wade/Bosh did, compared to how most normal championship teams are built are completely clueless. They all took the easy way out. Whether you have a problem with that is up to you.

ESPN Doc just said the cramps from last game will have an effect on Lebron this game.

"Lebron fought through the pain to lift up his band of rag tag teammates to the promised land. Michael Jordan esque?"

KingGondo

Banned
I encourage everyone to switch over to NBA TV rather than watching the shit show that is ESPN.

Even TV Snaq is preferable to Jon Barry.

ThisWreckage said:
Compared to Lebron, absolutely. He's head and shoulders better than both.
So who's in the "second tier?"

SUPREME1

Banned
Bosh is Miami's real MVP.

Miami was on their way to another humiliating finals loss if he hadn't come back and willed them to these victories.

Bosh is Batman, LeBron is Robin, Wade is Vicki Vale.

Reasons why Miami will win the championship, in order from most imortant to least:

1. Bosh
2. refs
3. LeBron
4. role players
5. YNB
6. Brooks
7. Harden
8. Spoelstra
9. Wade

People equating what Lebron/Wade/Bosh did, compared to how most normal championship teams are built are completely clueless. They all took the easy way out. Whether you have a problem with that is up to you.
I had a problem with it right around when they did it, and probably a couple months after.

After thinking things through, though, they were completely within their rights to do that. Free agency, bro.

You think Bosh was going to do anything on the Raps? Do you think Gilbert was going to actually build a team after showing incompetence for years?

The Heat or Bulls were the best situations for LeBron, no doubt. I see no reason why, when you have a choice, you would choose inferior situations. Especially considering most championship teams have 2-3 great players.

How about..no

The only reason dude will even have a chance to win multiple ships is because he paired with two stars.................

Scottie Pippen rarely gets credit even though he played better than Jordan in spurts. Jordan is known for his playoff performances, numbers, MVPs, and rings. Lebron will be in the same boat. Kobe got some of his rings playing with Shaq. Are we supposed to somehow discredit that accomplishment because he played with one of the best centers in NBA history? That's not how it works.

WUlSJ.png

Smokey

Scottie Pippen rarely gets credit even though he played better than Jordan in spurts. Jordan is known for his playoff performances, numbers, MVPs, and rings. Lebron will be in the same boat. Kobe got some of his rings playing with Shaq. Are we supposed to somehow discredit that accomplishment because he played with one of the best centers in NBA history? That's not how it works.

...wat?

wtf does pippen/jordan situation have to do with lebron teaming up with two other all-stars to
try and
win multiple ships? And pippen not getting any credit? top 50 of all time pippen not getting credit...from who?

what are you talking about

Apparently its different because he lucked into a great organization. That loyalty somehow makes him more of a competitor.*

*Kobe demanded a trade when things got pear shaped in LA

But these guys didn't put this stuff together their front office's did.

SUPREME1

Banned

"Lebron fought through the pain to lift up his band of rag tag teammates to the promised land. Michael Jordan esque?"

LeBron could have been surrounded by 10 top-two-players-at-their-positions plus a couple of 6thMotY winners and the narrative would be the same.

"LeBron carries rag tag team of barely-pro players on his back and wills them to victory against powerhouse after powerhouse to seize his first-of-many rings"

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

the players decided the parts they wanted to form the core of the team - even to the point of taking voluntary salary cuts - rather than having their GM/coaches build arrange it for them. don't know if that's considered 'easy', but it has been riskier considering how long it has taken for those three players to mesh with the role players they brought in.

and noble? who gives a shit if it's noble or not?

Miami was on their way to another humiliating finals loss if he hadn't come back and willed them to these victories.

Reasons why Miami will win the championship, in order from most imortant to least:

1. Bosh
2. refs
3. LeBron
4. role players
5. YNB
6. Brooks
7. Harden
8. Spoelstra
9. Wade

This x 1000

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I had a problem with it right around when they did it, and probably a couple months after.

After thinking things through, though, they were completely within their rights to do that. Free agency, bro.

You think Bosh was going to do anything on the Raps? Do you think Gilbert was going to actually build a team after showing incompetence for years?

The Heat or Bulls were the best situations for LeBron, no doubt. I see no reason why, when you have a choice, you would choose inferior situations. Especially considering most championship teams have 2-3 great players.

And I never said they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

“There’s no way, with hindsight, I would’ve ever called up Larry, called up Magic, and said ‘Hey look, let’s get together and play on one team. But that’s…things are different. I can’t say that’s a bad thing. It’s an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty I was trying to beat those guys.” - Michael Jordan

“There is no way I would have joined Magic or Michael and play with them. The only time I ever wanted to play with Magic was on the Olympic team, and even then our practices were hard, and we beat each other up in practice.” - Larry Bird

“We didn’t think about it because that’s not what we were about. From college I was trying to figure out how to beat Larry Bird” - Magic Johnson

“(Reggie) Miller and I are in 100% agreement on this. If you’re the two-time NBA MVP you don’t leave anywhere. They come to you. That’s ridiculous. LeBron will never be Jordan. This clearly takes him out of the conversation." - Charles Barkley

They took the easy way out and whatever legacy they leave will be tainted with that.

KingGondo

Banned
I have no problem with LeBron winning a title. He's been on another level and I think he's learned from how dumb he acted with the Decision and all that.

That said, I hope we clean up our mistakes and play how we're capable tonight. I don't want to go out with a garbage performance.

Make the Heat earn it.

ThisWreckage said:
There are players that wait their whole career, praying that their front office somehow works some magic and they remain ringless. Those players are morons.
You're conveniently forgetting that the Cleveland front office made moves at the behest of Bron.

The best player he ever played with in Cleveland was probably Mo Williams. I don't really blame him for overcompensating and "teaming up" with other stars.

But these guys didn't put this stuff together their front office's did.
Who cares?

Would you have respected KG more had he rotted his entire career in MN?

They were free agents! They have the right to choose where they want to go.

Not everyone lucks into having a good owner/GM combo. This is why free agency exists...

1. Bosh
2. refs
3. LeBron
4. role players
5. YNB
6. Brooks
7. Harden
8. Spoelstra
9. Wade

You must be joking. LeBron is having one of the best finals performances of all time. He has dominated the playoffs while Wade has quietly scored (and turned the ball over).

Bron scored or assisted on what, 55 of the Heat's points last game? Stay mad. Statistically LeBron shits all over Kobe

I never said it was more noble. The situations just aren't comparable.

Lebron pads his stats and he will pad the number of rings he gets too. It shouldn't be a surprise. He's not a villain for doing such a thing and it's actually smart. How would have Lebron's legacy have changed if he remained in Cleveland? Here's a hint: he'd rank up there with great players like Malone, Barkley, and Nash who remained loyal for most of their careers and have zero to show for it.

SUPREME1

Banned
You must be joking. LeBron is having one of the best finals performances of all time. He has dominated the playoffs while Wade has quietly scored (and turned the ball over).

Bron scored or assisted on what, 55 of the Heat's points last game? Stay mad. Statistically LeBron shits all over Kobe

LeBron is playing very well, that's why he's a the number 2 spot.

Edit: But he should still buy Bosh a mansion for winning him his first ring.

Smokey

I have no problem with LeBron winning a title. He's been on another level and I think he's learned from how dumb he acted with the Decision and all that.

That said, I hope we clean up our mistakes and play how we're capable tonight. I don't want to go out with a garbage performance.

Make the Heat earn it.

i've been reading your posts all day in a sad, somber tone. it'll be alright man...if you lose this series you'll bounce back next year. and the next year. and the next year.

could be like the rockets...a minimum of 10-12 years before having a chance to whif the finals again

SUPREME1

Banned
The more I look at my list, the more I realize that the role players played a bigger part than Wade. Well, a more important one anyway.

Wade is trash.

The league's first 2xChampion*

If it looks like this is getting away from the Thunder I'm shutting myself off from anything NBA related for a couple days. This is one celebration I don't wanna see.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Lebron pads his stats and he will pad the number of rings he gets too.
possibly the laziest of all the Lebron criticisms. should he not go for points? or assists? or rebounds? do you just want him to stand still on the court and NOT try to do measurable, quantifiable things that would help his team to win? oh look, he passed out of the double team in the post for a wide open 3 for an assist. padding his stats! look at James, flying down for a block in transition. padding his stats!

what is James doing different than what any elite athlete is supposed to do towards gaining a victory for his team? this shit is Bayless level stupid.

You're conveniently forgetting that the Cleveland front office made moves at the behest of Bron.

The best player he ever played with in Cleveland was probably Mo Williams. I don't really blame him for overcompensating and "teaming up" with other stars.
Any FO that takes their players' advice on who to sign, draft etc. is stupid...Their opinions should never come into play if you're a smart org

So it begins, the bitter LeBron James haters coming to discredit him any possible way. Now we just need to discuss how terrible Heat's fanbase is and we've come full circle.

Godslay

Banned
i've been reading your posts all day in a sad, somber tone. it'll be alright man...if you lose this series you'll bounce back next year. and the next year. and the next year.

could be like the rockets...a minimum of 10-12 years before having a chance to whif the finals again

One should be so lucky to have a championship or even made a Finals appearance. The Nuggets have never made the Finals or obviously won a championship. I know Gondo hasn't complained at all, but in the short time period the franchise has been in OKC they are very lucky to have come this far this fast.

Oh, and no way OKC can possibly win tonight.

After OKC blowing a 17 point lead literally in 5 minutes last game, I have zero confidence they're capable of winning a single game going forward.

Nori Chan

possibly the laziest of all the Lebron criticisms. should he not go for points? or assists? or rebounds? do you just want him to stand still on the court and NOT try to do measurable, quantifiable things that would help his team to win? oh look, he passed out of the double team in the post for a wide open 3 for an assist. padding his stats! look at James, flying down for a block in transition. padding his stats!

what is James doing different than what any elite athlete is supposed to do towards gaining a victory for his team? this shit is Bayless level stupid.
oh hi there Ricky Davis didn't know you posted on gaf

I hope OKC wins if only for more basketball..

sure we got the summer league but I'm not about that life.

since I doubt the sixers will draft anybody worth overhyping

Top Bottom