• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Ramblin

Banned
Hey look, you came up with an answer that Stern could have given that doesnt involve wife beating. Was that so hard? Stern handled a tough question (which really wasnt thst hard. He could have easily passed if off with a joke about tin foil hats and moved on) worse that most of his players would. He came across terribly.

That's funny because I got them from that interview. And Rome kept persisting, which is why he got what he did.

Romes job as part of the media isn't to just report facts, he's also part entertainer. And that sometimes means asking stupid questions to get correct answers. Rome was doing his part of this "truth and fact finding mission". Stern fucked up his end of it.

Well to be fair Stern pointed this out at the end, doing it for the "cheap thrill".

There is zero actual evidence of the lottery being rigged.

Until there is, I think it's fair for Stern to respond like that.

There's zero evidence that the Paquiao-Bradley fight was rigged but would it be out of line to ask Bob Arum about it? The perception that the NBA is rigged is not limited to a small amount of people hanging out on a basement writing newsletters. Its a perception even a lot of casual fans carry and shit, was even brought up by ESPN's own analysts immediately following the lottery they aired on their own stations.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Why is it Romes job, to do the NBA's job?

Do what job? Let everyone know how the lottery process is done? They did EXACTLY that before the lottery this year by having Heather Cox (a part of the media!) walk through the process before the lottery winners were revealed.

Defending the independence of the lottery isn't Romes job at all. Has nothing to do with his job.

If Rome can do whatever he wants, then what's the point of answering him seriously then if it's all in vein?

David Stern was on a national program just recently, could have done that quite easily, i wonder if he did?

See above.

Romes job as part of the media isn't to just report facts, he's also part entertainer. And that sometimes means asking stupid questions to get correct answers. Rome was doing his part of this "truth and fact finding mission". Stern fucked up his end of it.

Aren't we all entertained with Stern's retorts? I guess Rome did his job if his purpose is to entertain. So, again, why be angry at Stern?

giri

Fucking bingo.

If Rome wanted to joke around, he should have said...

"I'm going to have to ask this ridiculous question because my listeners demand it. Even though the lottery was done by an independent firm with representatives of every team present and representatives from the media present, was the lottery rigged?"

Yes, what Rome should do is ridicule his listener base. That is exactly how someone in the media should act.

Why is it Romes job, to do the NBA's job?

Defending the independence of the lottery isn't Romes job at all. Has nothing to do with his job.

David Stern was on a national program just recently, could have done that quite easily, i wonder if he did?

Rome was claiming his question wasn't ridiculous. But it was because he knows the facts.

It's no different that a Fox News guy asking about Obama's birth certificate.

rome can entertain without omitting facts. He should have said, "you're right it is ridiculous, but my listeners want to know why. Can you tell them why it is ridiculous."

Rome challenged him on something he knows he's wrong about.

So disappointed. Stern was being rhetorical. You see, I thought Jim Rome might have pulled a Jay Mariotti and he was calling him out. Turns out, he was alluding to how it is a question you can't answer. :( When you listen to the audio, it's clear.

I GET the point of the question. It's pretty obvious. The criticism being laid against stern is the method in which he made the point. Not that he made his point.

What would you have done to him? You compared what he did to Kobe calling a co-worker a faggot.

They are not the same. Stern and Rome are assholes. Rome kept poking at him. Stern lost his cool and should have had a more professional answer.

He picked a ridicules question to ask to. Maybe he should had said do you get alien probed alot Rome, or something.

I don't think he was making a social comment on wife beating.

There's zero evidence that the Paquiao-Bradley fight was rigged but would it be out of line to ask Bob Arum about it? The perception that the NBA is rigged is not limited to a small amount of people hanging out on a basement writing newsletters. Its a perception even a lot of casual fans carry and shit, was even brought up by ESPN's own analysts immediately following the lottery they aired on their own stations.

Same is true of birthers and truthers. You just justified them.

Good job, ninja.

And the fight is being investigated (i know shit about boxing, so I really won't get involved here). And I believe boxing has a history of being fixed at times (i may be wrong here).

KingGondo

Banned
There's zero evidence that the Paquiao-Bradley fight was rigged but would it be out of line to ask Bob Arum about it? The perception that the NBA is rigged is not limited to a small amount of people hanging out on a basement writing newsletters.
Comparing the NBA Draft Lottery and boxing judging is a poor analogy.

The lottery is witnessed by reps of every team and verified by a huge accounting/business services firm. Boxing judges are subject to virtually no review/discipline process and can "judge" the fight without any reference to what actually happened in the ring.

Just because "lots" of people believe something doesn't make it true, nor does it become a valid story for "journalists" like Rome to delve into.

Ninja Scooter said:
Its a perception even a lot of casual fans carry and shit, was even brought up by ESPN's own analysts immediately following the lottery they aired on their own stations.
Perception is not reality. And I can't believe you're using ESPN analysts as authority for your argument.

giri

Do what job? Let everyone know how the lottery process is done? They did EXACTLY that before the lottery this year by having Heather Cox (a part of the media!) walk through the process before the lottery winners were revealed.

Oh, so you only ever have to do it once? Things never get explained more than once? I wonder what libraries are for then. Completely meaningless buildings.

If Rome can do whatever he wants, then what's the point of answering him seriously then if it's all in vein?

See above.

Thats a grand re-write of what i said. Where did i say he can do what ever he wants? He didn't sit there and ask Stern about how long his dick his. Has he fucked any of the players in the ass. Slept with any of wades ho's. He asked a legitimate and easily answered question of stern. It was practically a setup FOR stern. But of course, what he did was "anything he wanted". But for the record, it's Romes show. He CAN do what ever he wants. But he obviously didn't go off the deep end as you're trying to infer. That's why you answer him seriously.

Do you need more of media credibility explained?

Aren't we all entertained with Stern's retorts? I guess Rome did his job if his purpose is to entertain. So, again, why be angry at Stern?
I'm not Angry. I just think it's largely hypocritical and all the support everyone in here is throwing his way is incredibly stupid. Everyone in this thread has been critical of Stern. And here he is being incredibly hypocritical again. Why are you all for it? It was childish. And stern didn't do his job. Stern isn't there to "entertain". I doubt you'll find anywhere in his job description "The commissioner will be entertaining on live broadcasts".

giri

What would you have done to him? You compared what he did to Kobe calling a co-worker a faggot.

They are not the same. Stern and Rome are assholes. Rome kept poking at him. Stern lost his cool and should have had a more professional answer.

He picked a ridicules question to ask to. Maybe he should had said do you get alien probed alot Rome, or something.

I don't think he was making a social comment on wife beating.

Uh, Stern would have been asked this question a lot in his time on the job. It's not new. He should have a easy to hand response of facts to just fire off in his direction. He does get paid around $10M per season. I think a higher level of discipline can be sort of expected of him.

Stern wants to build up expected level of behavior for everyone in the league, then he should be expected to live up to them him self.

Using abuse towards women was a terrible way to make the point, and he should know a hell of a lot better.

Ramblin

Banned
Uh, Stern would have been asked this question a lot in his time on the job. It's not new. He should have a easy to hand response of facts to just fire off in his direction. He does get paid around $10M per season. I think a higher level of discipline can be sort of expected of him.

Stern wants to build up expected level of behavior for everyone in the league, then he should be expected to live up to them him self.

Using abuse towards women was a terrible way to make the point, and he should know a hell of a lot better.

Did you even listen to the interview?

reilo

Oh, so you only ever have to do it once? Things never get explained more than once? I wonder what libraries are for then. Completely meaningless buildings.
They do it every year... It's been shouted about many-a-times. It does not matter because crazy people do crazy. Try to convince a birther that Obama is a citizen. I dare you. We've got them on GAF, go find the thread.

Thats a grand re-write of what i said. Where did i say he can do what ever he wants? He didn't sit there and ask Stern about how long his dick his. Has he fucked any of the players in the ass. Slept with any of wades ho's. He asked a legitimate and easily answered question of stern. It was practically a setup FOR stern. But of course, what he did was "anything he wanted". But for the record, it's Romes show. He CAN do what ever he wants. But he obviously didn't go off the deep end as you're trying to infer. That's why you answer him seriously.

Do you need more of media credibility explained?

I'm not Angry. I just think it's largely hypocritical and all the support everyone in here is throwing his way is incredibly stupid. Everyone in this thread has been critical of Stern. And here he is being incredibly hypocritical again. Why are you all for it? It was childish. And stern didn't do his job. Stern isn't there to "entertain". I doubt you'll find anywhere in his job description "The commissioner will be entertaining on live broadcasts".

I see where the issue is. You think Rome's questioning was legitimate instead of the farce that it was. His question deserved the same honesty and sincerity that he gave Stern: none.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I think Rome is a badgering asshat, but if a player would have said the samethng the media and the NBA would have blasted him.

Comparing the NBA Draft Lottery and boxing judging is a poor analogy.

The lottery is witnessed by reps of every team and verified by a huge accounting/business services firm. Boxing judges are subject to virtually no review/discipline process and can "judge" the fight without any reference to what actually happened in the ring.

Just because "lots" of people believe something doesn't make it true, nor does it become a valid story for "journalists" like Rome to delve into.

Perception is not reality. And I can't believe you're using ESPN analysts as authority for your argument.

I'm not arguing that the nba is rigged, Im
simply saying that, as you said, perception is Not reality but it can affext your image and there is a popular perception out there that the league is shady. The nba has has had to deal with perception and image problems in the past (Donaghy?) so it's not exactly out of left field. More importantly I'm saying that I think the commissioner came off poorly in his response and it surprised me that he let it get under his skin that much.

SUPREME1

Banned
QdK17.png

The commissioner of the NBA should not strive to be like Dana White though.

I've seen the "do you still beat your wife" line dropped in person once, shit was bananas. The guy who dropped the line is a senior partner in his 50s and is known to be very provocative (he did stand up during college and so he gets away with saying some pretty crazy shit because he's just joking).

One day him and another partner were kidding around before a meeting, talking a little smack... when things started to get a little testy. I don't recall exactly what the other partner said, but he basically called him out for being a primadonna/diva (which he really is) and that's when the guy dropped the "do you still beat your wife" line.

Everything went silent and it was so fucking awkward. Someone eventually started laughing to try and defuse the situation, followed by others... but it didn't work. He said he was joking and that everyone should lighten up, even though the other partner looked like he wanted to murder the guy.

It sucked because a lot of people didn't know what to believe. The guy is married with kids and is a really cool guy... and now it turns out he might be a wife-beater.

I was familar with the tactic/mechanism of that line from TV, but had never heard anyone use it in real life.

Yeah, if you want an instant victory and don't mind going nuclear, just drop that line. You win by default.

Raziel

stern mistakenly equated the textbook loaded question example with rome's question (no one fact is presupposed in rome's question like it is in the wife-beating question). so he didnt use it correctly and came off poorly/guilty in the process.

reilo

So, the local media is on some weird shtick where they believe that Paul Allen is in the process of selling the team.

They ask and hint at the team being for sale every, fucking, day. Meanwhile, Paul Allen has stated equivocally a million different times (personally from Twitter, interviews, whatever) that he is not looking to sell the team, even to the point in having David Stern say that the team is not for sale.

Meanwhile, Allen just showed up for an interview for the draft workout five minutes ago, and the local media, ONCE AGAIN, asked him whether he was selling the team.

So let me ask everyone here: at what point does Allen just go Stern on these guys? Or is the media here to provide "entertainment"?

Here was Allen's response:

"It's mysterious. There are these mysterious figures lurking in the background whispering things. Who are they?"

Same bullshit as the "is the lottery rigged?"

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Trust me, I don't ignore the gameplay but he has ignored KD enough for him to be the scoring champ 3 years in a row.

Are you Coach Nick from bballbreakdown?

Maybe if you stop pretending he's not the clown he wakes up every morning trying to be you could finally get to the point of admitting that KD is one of the best players in the league - while still being held back by the dumbest starting point guard to step on the court in the past decade.

Challenge yourself.

I dare anyone... just wait until the 2nd half, JUST the 2nd half, and count how many times Westbrook either never looks at Durant or Harden, waves off a screen, dribbles for more than 9 seconds while past the halfcourt line, throws a bitchfit about not getting a call instead of getting back on defense, takes a midrange shot without so much as looking see what the defense is doing, charges at the rim like a desperate idiot, or chucks a contested 3 pointer.

He's good for 8 wasted possessions in the second half of any given night on his BEST game. Typically, he gives you 8 in the fourth quarter alone. But I'll be generous.

Ramblin

Banned
So, the local media is on some weird shtick where they believe that Paul Allen is in the process of selling the team.

They ask and hint at the team being for sale every, fucking, day. Meanwhile, Paul Allen has stated equivocally a million different times (personally from Twitter, interviews, whatever) that he is not looking to sell the team, even to the point in having David Stern say that the team is not for sale.

Meanwhile, Allen just showed up for an interview for the draft workout five minutes ago, and the local media, ONCE AGAIN, asked him whether he was selling the team.

So let me ask everyone here: at what point does Allen just go Stern on these guys? Or is the media here to provide "entertainment"?

I heard he was selling the Blazers to a group from Vancouver BC.

Top Bottom