• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
looking through some old photos...

boshan76a.png

stern5b7v7.jpg

clutchlf7h6.png

durant7l7om.png

nysbu94.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_you_still_beat_your_wife

A loaded question is a question which contains a controversial or unjustified assumption, e.g., a presumption of guilt.[1]

Aside from being a logical fallacy, such questions may be used as a rhetorical tool: the question attempts to limit direct replies to be those that serve the questioner's agenda.[2] The traditional example is the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Whether the respondent answers yes or no, he will admit to having a wife, and having beaten her at some time in the past. Thus, these facts are presupposed by the question, and in this case an entrapment, because it narrows the respondent to a single answer, and the fallacy of many questions has been committed.[2]

SamuraiX-

Kevin Garnett has been fined $25,000 for failing to make himself available to the media following Boston’s 101-88 loss to the Miami Heat in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals on June 9 at AmericanAirlines Arena.

Garnett will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

smfh

wtf can't they fine you for in the NBA nowadays?

reilo

I assume Stern was trying to equate that with the question of whether the lottery was fixed, but it doesn't work like that. You can answer "no" to the lottery question and not be guilty of something. You can't do the same for the wife-beating question.

Stern needs to retire. He's clearly losing his touch with the lockout and now this.

Stern did say "no", several times to Rome's inquiry whether the lottery was fixed, but Rome kept pushing on. Eventually Stern turned the tables on Rome and said "Do you still beat your wife?" as a retort to show how stupid Rome's questioning was.

Yeah, Stern misused it. Rome wasn't giving a loaded question. Stern was trying to use that as an example of a "ridiculous" question.

Right, that's the point. He was making a parallel to Rome's questioning because Rome was not going to give up until he got some sort of admission of guilt.

Stern did say "no", several times to Rome's inquiry whether the lottery was fixed, but Rome kept pushing on. Eventually Stern turned the tables on Rome and said "Do you still beat your wife?" as a retort to show how stupid Rome's questioning was.

Right, that's the point. He was making a parallel to Rome's questioning.

Yeah, but he went for the wrong angle. The "fix is in" question is ridiculous because Rome knows the facts and the likelihood of pulling something off like that is super highly improbable.

Rome beating his wife isn't really improbable, assuming he has one.

he should have asked him an improbable question to make a parallel. like, "is it true you are an alien from the planet oiawklafkn?"

reilo

Yeah, but he went for the wrong angle. The "fix is in" question is ridiculous because Rome knows the facts and the likelihood of pulling something off like that is super highly improbable.

Rome beating his wife isn't really improbable, assuming he has one.

he should have asked him an improbable question to make a parallel. like, "is it true you are an alien from the planet oiawklafkn?"

Sure, Stern could have used more tact, but either one gets the job done.

But he did say no.

"I have two answers for that," Stern said. "The simple easy one, no, the second, a statement, shame on you for asking."

Then Rome pushed on about it being his job to ask (false) and Stern said, ""No, it's ridiculous, but that's OK." Then Rome pushed on MORE which is when Stern got snippy.

Sorry, but Rome was in the wrong. Stern used a poor example to make his point and came off like a jerk, but Rome has a responsibility to uphold and did not.

Rome only really asked once. The follow ups after were more in regards to Stern attacking the idea of even bringing the topic up, which is where we disagree. The prevailing topic on everybody's minds after the lottery wasn't about Anthony Davis or any other player, it was, overwhelmingly, "Was that shit rigged?". Even on ESPN's own broadcast immediately after the analysts brought it up. I don't see why it was so out of line to ask Stern about it.

A more fair question would have been asking Rome if he did a smaller crime than wife beating. Fixing the lotto isn't the same as going Sean Connery on your wife.

Something like "Have you driven drunk? Would you drive drunk on national television? I take my job very seriously and wouldn't do anything to reduce the honor that comes with my position in representing and promoting this league."

Commish Moris stylin' on Rome without insulting the ladies.

cdyhybrid

Right, that's the point. He was making a parallel to Rome's questioning because Rome was not going to give up until he got some sort of admission of guilt.

I know a lot of people don't like Rome, but what was Stern really expecting to accomplish there? If he's going to get all surly everytime someone asks him a question he doesn't like, he should just stick with ESPN so they can toss softballs at him all day.

Ramblin

Banned
I know a lot of people don't like Rome, but what was Stern really expecting to accomplish there? If he's going to get all surly everytime someone asks him a question he doesn't like, he should just stick with ESPN so they can toss softballs at him all day.

Rome accuses him of criminal activity, Stern returns the favour.

Novid

Banned
So the leader of the criminal orginsation named Stern, backed by ESPN moneyhats - goes on a tirade on a honest question about the draft then has the nerve to go to a issue that Rome dealt with years ago? That was low. Rome is a fucking bastard but that was low.

Rome accuses him of criminal activity, Stern returns the favour.

So does everyone else in the world, which is why it's fair game and a fair question to ask. Rome didn't pull the idea of the lottery being rigged out of his ass. Maybe Stern should do more to make sure his league doesn't do shit like employ crooked or incompetent refs, or own one of its own teams and veto trades for "basketball reasons" if he doesn't like that perception or those kinds of questions.

Ramblin

Banned
So does everyone else in the world, which is why it's fair game and a fair question to ask. Rome didn't pull the idea of the lottery being rigged out of his ass. Maybe Stern should do more to make sure his league doesn't do shit like employ crooked or incompetent refs, or own one of its own teams and veto trades for "basketball reasons" if he doesn't like that perception or those kinds of questions.

You mean like have team representatives and have a 23 billion dollar professional service firm conduct the lottery?

Flash

You mean like have team representatives and have a 23 billion dollar professional service firm conduct the lottery?

come on, the team owned by the NBA wins the lottery? and the potential buyer is juts there? I personally doubt there is a fix but there are many who do think so

Derrick01

Banned
Stern is an asshole but goddamn that line almost made me pull over on the highway. Was not expecting an ether of world shattering proportions to be dropped out of the blue like that. And then the double troll with saying Stephen A is more important. That's like continuing to beat on someone after you already crippled them.

giri

Your defense of stern is odd. It's incredibly hypocritical of stern to do what he did on a national program. If that was one of the players, they would have been fined atleast $100,000.

He's a representative of a major company who regularly holds its players to ridiculous levels of conduct. You don't then get to act like a dick your self.

Thats why it's insane. That he used wife beating is actually incredibly insulting too, especially for a league that has players that have... bad reputations... around treating women all that nicely in the first place, and tries to promote it self as a family/community sport.

What he did directly contradicts many of his own self imposed standards on everyone else.

Ramblin

Banned
come on, the team owned by the NBA wins the lottery? and the potential buyer is juts there? I personally doubt there is a fix but there are many who do think so

Heck people where saying Sacramento was going to get it to finalize the new area deal. Fanatics are going to assume the refs are crooked, the draft is rigged, the president wasn't born in America....

This here was great.

Also, i hope stern gets fined for what he said.

If Kobe gets fined and has to apologise on national TV for using the word faggot, Stern should get his balls cut off.

He called Rome a "faggot"? I missed that part. It's not the same.

Stern is an a-hole, but it's not the same level.

If Rome interviewed and asked Kobe weird rape questions, then Kobe shot back how many women be beats, would he get fined? I don't think he should.

If Stern calls somebody a "faggot" at work and on camera, go ahead, fine him.

Ramblin

Banned
Your defense of stern is odd. It's incredibly hypocritical of stern to do what he did on a national program. If that was one of the players, they would have been fined atleast $100,000.

He's a representative of a major company who regularly holds its players to ridiculous levels of conduct. You don't then get to act like a dick your self.

Thats why it's insane. That he used wife beating is actually incredibly insulting too, especially for a league that has players that have... bad reputations... around treating women all that nicely in the first place, and tries to promote it self as a family/community sport.

What he did directly contradicts many of his own self imposed standards on everyone else.

Isn't it naive to think the king holds himself to the same standards as his subjects?

Rome only really asked once. The follow ups after were more in regards to Stern attacking the idea of even bringing the topic up, which is where we disagree. The prevailing topic on everybody's minds after the lottery wasn't about Anthony Davis or any other player, it was, overwhelmingly, "Was that shit rigged?". Even on ESPN's own broadcast immediately after the analysts brought it up. I don't see why it was so out of line to ask Stern about it.

This is like arguing it's not out of line for Fox News to ask about Obama's birth certificate.

Stern was an asshole, you can't ether someone with kindness. It's a matter of if you think him being an asshole is bad or not a big deal.

It's obviously hypocritical of him and maybe a little dumb, I don't care, but I understand the criticism he's getting in here.

Hey look, you came up with an answer that Stern could have given that doesnt involve wife beating. Was that so hard? Stern handled a tough question (which really wasnt thst hard. He could have easily passed if off with a joke about tin foil hats and moved on) worse that most of his players would. He came across terribly.

Hey look, you came up with an answer that Stern could have given that doesnt involve wife beating. Was that so hard? Stern handled a tough question (which really wasnt thst hard. He could have easily passed if off with a joke about tin foil hats and moved on) worse that most of his players would. He came across terribly.

Rome, as a member of the media, should have pointed this out. That's his fucking job. To report facts.

And we wonder why our media is fucked in the head...

There is zero actual evidence of the lottery being rigged.

Until there is, I think it's fair for Stern to respond like that.

not only that, but by the powers of logical deduction, the probability of pulling it off is astronomically low.

But people believe Bush bombed WTC. Hell, some believe in a moon laser doing it, so...

reilo

I like that Rome is somehow immune to being held to a higher standard. It's his job as part of the media to let his crazy-ass listeners know that the lottery is done by an independent agency with the presence of each and every team representative in the lottery. Instead he chose to feed into the conspiracy by even asking the question. Stern is basically being accused on committing a conspiracy and then lambasted for calling the conspiracy questioning idiotic.

KingGondo

Banned
I like that Rome is somehow immune to being held to a higher standard. It's his job as part of the media to let his crazy-ass listeners know that the lottery is done by an independent agency with the presence of each and every team representative in the lottery. Stern is basically being accused on conspiracy and then lambasted for calling the conspiracy questioning idiotic.
Forget facts or "journalism."

It's time to welcome another MMA Dudebro into The JUNGLE!

GET SOME!

I like that Rome is somehow immune to being held to a higher standard. It's his job as part of the media to let his crazy-ass listeners know that the lottery is done by an independent agency with the presence of each and every team representative in the lottery. Stern is basically being accused on conspiracy and then lambasted for calling the conspiracy questioning idiotic.

Fucking bingo.

If Rome wanted to joke around, he should have said...

"I'm going to have to ask this ridiculous question because my listeners demand it. Even though the lottery was done by an independent firm with representatives of every team present and representatives from the media present, was the lottery rigged?"

Then Stern could have said "of course not, for all the reasons you laid out."

Then Rome should have moved on. But the media cares more about ratings than reality.

FWIW, Simmons asked Stern about the Ewing draft, jokingly, and Stern didn't resort to the tactics against Rome, because Simmons didn't actually do what Rome did.

reilo

The same parallel can be drawn to paid government officials "doing their due diligence" by looking into whether Obama was a naturally born citizen of the United States because a group of constituents believe that he is.

giri

Why is it Romes job, to do the NBA's job?

Defending the independence of the lottery isn't Romes job at all. Has nothing to do with his job.

David Stern was on a national program just recently, could have done that quite easily, i wonder if he did?

Romes job as part of the media isn't to just report facts, he's also part entertainer. And that sometimes means asking stupid questions to get correct answers. Rome was doing his part of this "truth and fact finding mission". Stern fucked up his end of it.

Top Bottom