• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

Cloudy

Banned
The funny thing is that Rome's initial question about "was the fix in" was clearly half joking and Stern could have easily deflected and played it off but instead he went off the deep end. Must be a sore spot for the commish.

Seriously it was just a joke like Rome always does. Stern only makes it worse with this kind of thin-skinned response

TylerD

Oh, Russ.

<3

Definitely red is my favorite color because it is really aggressive and its job is to be aggressive and that is what it tries to do. Definitely.

I wonder if he is a master troll because he wanted to go to Stanford for academics when he was in high school when he didnt think he would be good enough to go to UCLA for basketball.

KingGondo

Banned
Stern tried to somehow paint a non-wife beater as one? Fuck him.

Jim Rome? Oh shit, fuck him too.
I think you're missing the point of Stern's "question."

To him, the accusation that the NBA fixes the draft was as outrageous as the accusation of wife-beating to the average person.

It lacked tact, but it was... effective.

SamuraiX-

OH SHIT. David Stern just asked Rome if he still beats his wife after Rome asked Stern about fixing the lottery.
OH SHIT, Stern is GOING after Rome and Rome is going after Stern. Stern accused Rome of making a career out of cheap thrills. Stern said he has to make a call to someone actually important like Stephen A. Smith, lol!
Goddamn that Rome interview was awkward as fuck. Stern actually said "I gotta go talk to someone important like Stephen A. Smith". Ether. Stern lost his mind.

YO, DAMN- DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMNNNNN!!!!!

SamuraiX-

"When in Rome, Ether the fuck out of Jim." David Stern

XXLBn.gif

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I think you're missing the point of Stern's "question."

To him, the accusation that the NBA fixes the draft was as outrageous as the accusation of wife-beating to the average person.

It lacked tact, but it was... effective.
No, I get that. Still seems out of line, but I dislike defending Rome, so fuck him.

Smokey

Cloving delivers another trolling Nintendo headline on the gaming side and they fall for it everytime.

This has been an entertaining afternoon

Stern was kinda testy in interviews during the later part of the lockout I think as well.

He is probably gonna go crazy in an interview one of these years, then retire after that.

TylerD

Stats!

Elias: Russell Westbrook: 27 pts, 11 ast in 1st NBA Finals game... only 2nd player with 25 pts, 10 ast in his Finals debut (Michael Jordan).

Jordan only grabbed 3 rebounds in his first finals game, so russ is the first person to get 27 pts, 11 ast, and 8 rebs in their finals debut.

Passbroke eh?

2007 G1: 14pts 4-16 4-4FT 7Reb 4Ast 6TO
2007 G2: 25pts 9-21 7-11FT 7Reb 6Ast 6TO
2007 G3: 25pts 9-23 7-8FT 8Reb 7Ast 5TO
2007 G4: 24pts 10-30 2-6FT 6Reb 10Ast 6TO

2011 G1: 24pts 9-16 2-2FT 9Reb 5Ast 1TO
2011 G2: 20pts 8-15 2-4FT 8Reb 4Ast 5TO
2011 G3: 17pts 6-17 4-4FT 3Reb 9Ast 4TO
2011 G4: 8pts 3-11 2-4FT 9Reb 7Ast 4TO
2011 G5: 17pts 8-19 1-2FT 10Reb 10Ast 4TO
2011 G6: 21pts 9-15 1-4FT 4Reb 6Ast 6TO

2012 G1: 30pts 11-24 7-9FT 9Reb 4ast 4TO

LBJ had his best Finals game yet, but was out-staged by Durant.

2012 G1: 36pts 12-20 8-9FT 8Reb 4Ast 2TO

Obviously a lot of hate comes from how he's acted over the years without winning much. But when you look at his Finals performances, nothing screams out as simply amazing. Too many times, especially in the 4th, he's not demanding for the ball, not screaming for the ball, not being aggressive and driving to the basket. It's almost like he's too afraid to lose, rather than be a risk-taker and go for the win.

But Game 1 should fall more on Wade's all-around bad game more than LBJ not being aggressive enough (again) in the 4th. Was this the first time LBJ outscored Wade in the Finals?

2-6 FG 3-4 FTs.

He took 8 shots. Thats a decent amount for a qtr. His jumper isnt pure, so he wasted his time trying to back down Thabo. But him playing with his back to the basket is what everybody wanted.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Stats!

Jordan only grabbed 3 rebounds in his first finals game, so russ is the first person to get 27 pts, 11 ast, and 8 rebs in their finals debut.

Passbroke eh?
Great numbers

I love ignoring actual gameplay like chuckbrick ignores Durant.

Stats!

Passbroke eh?

Where is the the metric for Magics 40-15r-5a Finals debut?

Elias really has to put some asterisks with some the shit they put out there.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Also, that Jim Rome/Stern interview was like straight out of SNL: Connery versus Trebek.

No it wasn't. Stern handled it poorly. He could've simply responded that no, there wasn't a fix.

But he did say no.

"I have two answers for that," Stern said. "The simple easy one, no, the second, a statement, shame on you for asking."

Then Rome pushed on about it being his job to ask (false) and Stern said, ""No, it's ridiculous, but that's OK." Then Rome pushed on MORE which is when Stern got snippy.

Sorry, but Rome was in the wrong. Stern used a poor example to make his point and came off like a jerk, but Rome has a responsibility to uphold and did not.

Top Bottom