• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

I thought we are compiling a list to go against the dream team if not then carry on.....but boozer for garnett is still a travesty

..and the dream team was the USA's Olympic team, this is really only being brought up because the Olympics are upon us again. Every Olympic team will be measured to the dream team, happens every single time since 92.

I used to be a huge Nintendo fanboy when I was younger, so I understand the mentality. Ignore all logic, and just assume that because it's made by Nintendo, it's better than all the other games, and extra power can't overcome Nintendo magic.
Ill probs buy a Wii U at some point but its pretty much guaranteed to be another Wii. This is literally a replay of 2006, denial and all.

Console warriors make me facepalm...its a corporation, not your friend...

I used to be a huge Nintendo fanboy when I was younger, so I understand the mentality. Ignore all logic, and just assume that because it's made by Nintendo, it's better than all the other games, and extra power can't overcome Nintendo magic.

There is some logic to the thought process, but from everything that has been said and the philosophies of most companies, it's really just not going to happen.

KingGondo

Banned
If Wade sits out, we could see 3 OKC players on the team.

When's the last time there were 3 players from the same NBA team on Team USA?

Edit:

Starters will be:

Paul
Bryant
James
Durant
Chandler

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Speaking of this years Olympics team... KD has to be a starter, right? He's that fucking good already.

Paul
KD
LeBron
Love
Chandler

Right? Man our Centers suck.

EDIT: Ahh, Gondo's got it right but LBJ will play PF.

Paul
Kobe
KD
LeBron
Chandler

masud

Banned
I guess I still am a Nintendo fanboy, with rare exception Nintendo makes (made) the only console games I enjoy. It's a shame they stopped making games though, hopefully they'll start again.

Paul
KD
LeBron
Love
Chandler

Right? Man our Centers suck.

Lets be honest. When Dwight Howard is the #1 center, you know you're in trouble.
Ewing > D12
Hakeem > D12
Shaq > D12
Robinson > D12
Alonzo > D12

The 1990s were the greatest era for big man. Not sure it will ever be replicated. Every single one of these guys were capable offensively and dominating defensively with the exception of Shaq.

Emwitus

Kobe is still a starter right? Dang, out of Ray, wade and kobe, has there been any legendary shooting guards in the past 10 years?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lets be honest. When Dwight Howard is the #1 center, you know you're in trouble.
Ewing > D12
Hakeem > D12
Shaq > D12
Robinson > D12
Alonzo > D12

The 1990s were the greatest era for big man. Not sure it will ever be replicated. Every single one of these guys were capable offensively and dominating defensively with the exception of Shaq.

That's where I get lost at... I'm not sure who I'd take over the other. Part of it is just the fact that Dwight plays with idiots, but still its pretty lose in my mind.

Imagine Prime Zo in a league where the best centers are Marc Gasol, Hibbert, and Bynum.

That's where I get lost at... I'm not sure who I'd take over the other. Part of it is just the fact that Dwight plays with idiots, but still its pretty lose in my mind.

Imagine Prime Zo in a league where the best centers are Marc Gasol, Hibbert, and Bynum.

Exactly. People act like D12 is this amazing defensive player and he is good, but he benefits more than any other center for playing in a weak era. Any one of those five centers would HUMILIATE every. single. center. in this league more so than Dwight ever has. Zo was just ridiculously defensively and had such a nice offensive game when need be. Zo is underlooked but thats due to the era he played in.

Exactly. People act like D12 is this amazing defensive player and he is good, but he benefits more than any other center for playing in a weak era. Any one of those five centers would HUMILIATE every. single. center. in this league more so than Dwight ever has. Zo was just ridiculously defensively and had such a nice offensive game when need be. Zo is underlooked but thats due to the era he played in.

I don't think Dwight has reached his full potential yet though. I think he could be so much better with some work.

You are not having a good half hour.

lol

I don't think Dwight has reached his full potential yet though. I think he could be so much better with some work.

Honestly, it's quite possible we HAVE seen the best of Dwight, after his back surgery. Nevertheless, he will always be dinged due to the era he played in. I mean lets be real, the second best center in this league is Andrew freaking Bynum. ANDREW BYNUM is the 2nd BEST CENTER IN THE LEAGUE. Say that a few times and realize the significance of that statement.

Off topic; has anyone ever hung out with guys who bragged about their kool aid making abilities?

When I was younger i remember this being a point of pride and furious debate, akin to grown men and their grilling skills.

I'm late to this discussion but you just rocked my memory grapes. I remember a friend of mine had some secret formula for his Kool Aid combo and the stuff felt like you were taking a hit of acid. He was the coolest kid on our street and every Saturday we would go over to this chicken coop and he would bust out his elixir. I tried to one up him and failed. I think at one point I mixed a push pop with Hawaiian punch and coke. A couple summers later he divulged his secret was Pop Rocks + Pink Lemonade + a splash of Mountain Dew. Kid is probably the equivalent of Tom Cruise in Cocktail and this point in his life.

I'm late to this discussion but you just rocked my memory grapes. I remember a friend of mine had some secret formula for his Kool Aid combo and the stuff felt like you were taking a hit of acid. He was the coolest kid on our street and every Saturday we would go over to this chicken coop and he would bust out his elixir. I tried to one up him and failed. I think at one point I mixed a push pop with Hawaiian punch and coke. A couple summers later he divulged his secret was Pop Rocks + Pink Lemonade + a splash of Mountain Dew. Kid is probably the equivalent of Tom Cruise in Cocktail and this point in his life.

HAHAHAHA, <3 Bruce.

linsivvi

Dwight is one of the greatest defenders and rebounders in NBA history

Unfortunately, basketball doesn't play on paper. Stats are meaningless if you do not apply context.

Your stats could make you look like the greatest basketball player ever if you only played against 3 year old kids.

This excuse for Dwight is wearing out its welcome. He's been in the league for 8 years now, I think people forget how long he has been playing. He hit his stride 3 or 4 years ago and has marginally improved since then. His offensive set may get better, but I don't think he's getting much better.

He has all but reached his potential, Good on defense and flawed on O.

Dwight lead a shitty defensive supporting cast to three straight top 5 finishes in defense.

He mailed in this season somewhat and still played at a DPotY level.

Even ignoring the level of competition differences, big man offense matters far less now with the rule changes so Dwight's not all-time great post D doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that he is legendarily quick and can contain perimeter players incredibly well when they drive to the basket.

Unfortunately, basketball doesn't play on paper. Stats are meaningless if you do not apply context.

But the "context" makes no sense. Dwight is going to become worse at stopping guards from scoring in the paint and being in the right place every time for rebounds because the opposing centers are better?

HAHAHAHA, <3 Bruce.

Lol. I love you too Steam.

This excuse for Dwight is wearing out its welcome. He's been in the league for 8 years now, I think people forget how long he has been playing. He hit his stride 3 or 4 years ago and has marginally improved since then. His offensive set may get better, but I don't think he's getting much better.

Screw this boring shite Moris. Lets walk down memory lane and talk Mega Mountain Twist!

Dwight is one of the greatest defenders and rebounders in NBA history and could probably score 17 PPG at least on athleticism alone. Mark Eaton couldn't score efficiently to save his life whereas Dwight would totally thrive in a dumpoff role since he's one of the best finishers ever.

Thats says more about how pathetic the league is in terms of quality big men in the least few years than it says about Dwight's ability.

Dwight lead a shitty defensive supporting cast to three straight top 5 finishes in defense.

He mailed in this season somewhat and still played at a DPotY level.

Even ignoring the level of competition differences, big man offense matters far less now with the rule changes so Dwight's not all-time great post D doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that he is legendarily quick and can contain perimeter players incredibly well when they drive to the basket.

It doesn't matter as much but that doesn't negate that he is limited offensively in comparison to the greats of the 90s. He may be quick but he is extremely limited offensively and wouldn't be able to handle Hakeem, Ewing, prime Shaq who was incredibly fast, etc.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Your stats could make you look like the greatest basketball player ever if you only played against 3 year old kids.

Eh... its not the numbers really. Dwight is a fucking animal on the glass and he's a damned good defender

I just wouldn't take him over a lot of centers of the past.

Yeah that is true. I just think that he could get better on O just because it seems like with a skillset so limited you could learn something new.

lol @ Dwade

Dwyane Wade: &#8220;Not a lot of exciting things going on out here.&#8221;
by Ethan J. Skolnick

Dwyane Wade doesn&#8217;t know Kevin Durant nearly as well as LeBron James does. In fact, as he noted Tuesday, he doesn&#8217;t know the Thunder star much better than the media does.

And that isn&#8217;t nearly as well as the media &#8211; and thus the public &#8211; know Wade and James, at least not yet. Part of that is that he&#8217;s still just 23, relatively soft-spoken, hasn&#8217;t sought much attention, and hasn&#8217;t been on this stage before.

The other part of it?

Wade&#8217;s theory, while not original, may earn him some additional jeers and signs in Chesapeake Energy Arena on Thursday night.

&#8220;And sometimes it&#8217;s where you&#8217;re at,&#8221; Wade said. &#8220;If he was in Los Angeles, Chicago, somewhere, it would be a little different. Being in Oklahoma kind of dims his light a little bit, not him on the basketball court but him off the court. There&#8217;s not a lot of exciting things going on out here.&#8221;

Wade, for his part, said he seeks &#8220;quiet as much as possible,&#8221; a statement some might find inconsistent with his assorted promotional appearances, but which makes some sense in the aftermath of so much of his personal life becoming public in recent years.

&#8220;I look for the opportunity for no one to see me,&#8221; Wade said. &#8220;That&#8217;s not the cards I was dealt. Some players have that ability. Tim Duncan is like that. Watching the Playoffs, I seen &#8209;&#8209; I&#8217;m sure, I don&#8217;t know if I&#8217;m correct, but I&#8217;ve seen Tim Duncan sitting on the bench before every game, two kids run up to him, it was a girl and a boy, I didn&#8217;t know he had kids. I&#8217;m assuming they&#8217;re his. They kind of look like him.&#8221;

benjipwns

Banned
I knew a feller who argued Amare and Dwight would finish their careers as the best players to ever play the game because they were "big men who live above the rim" unlike Robinson, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq, etc.

Lol. I love you too Steam.

Screw this boring shite Moris. Lets walk down memory lane and talk Mega Mountain Twist!

Next topic on Kool aid chat; picky dudes:

"Nah man, I don't mess with that Cherry ish. It's grape or go fuck yourself."

"No thanks, I can only drink the aid if my dad makes it, you guys don't make it right at your place."

KingGondo

Banned
CP
Kobe
KD
Bron
Chandler

Deron
Wade
Melo
KLove
Hibbert

YNB/Gay

Changes needed?
Melo doesn't deserve to be on the roster, but he probably will be. I'd give his spot to Blake.

I agree with your starting lineup, except there's a decent chance Wade won't play due to injury. Harden takes his spot if he can't go, IMO. Makes sense as a facilitator/spot-up shooter, and he's used to coming off the bench.

Dunno if Hibbert is even in the running, either.

Thats says more about how pathetic the league is in terms of quality big men in the least few years than it says about Dwight's ability.

It doesn't matter as much but that doesn't negate that he is limited offensively in comparison to the greats of the 90s. He may be quick but he is extremely limited offensively and wouldn't be able to handle Hakeem, Ewing, prime Shaq who was incredibly fast, etc.

Yes, Hakeem and Robinson and Shaq would score pretty easily on Dwight, the rest of their team would not score in the paint. In an era where low-post offense is used a ton like the 90s, Dwight would be worse. In an era like today where it's about perimeter penetration on offense, Dwight is incredibly effective.

Also, judging players by standards only than by today doesn't make a lot of sense. Dwight isn't great at stopping opposing centers who have a lot of post moves...But there's like no reason for him to be good at that since almost no one has good post moves. If he's playing against guys like Hakeem, his one-on-one defense could be a bigger focus for him...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Um yes. 92 was the year after they got back end swept by the bulls where horace fucking grant was dropping like 20 on him. And how the fuck is old kidd the best when there was deron and fucking CP3. That five you list there is a fucking wash.

Man hell no. Don't let current wade murk your vision.

And these types of games are all about transistion and running. LBJ, CP3, Wade, Dwight would run their asses out of the gym.

Lebron blows chucks mind today and he isn't even playing. Please. Dream teams only hope would be extremely physical play.

Magic was 6'9, old and slow ass fuck. Passing was literally the only thing he could do.

And CP3/Deron-Wade/Kobe-LBJ-Bosh-D12 would be mighty close.

:lol

Top Bottom