• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Finals |OT| Good Job, Good Effort

I like to think Lebron James is the greatest of all time. That way I can continue to say I have just as many championship rings as the greatest basketball player ever. It's good for a self esteem boost

No, just no. Ive never seen Jordan move as fast as wade could 4-5 years ago. Even in Space Jam.

what? You ever see him in the 80s?

Jordan utilized change of pace more, because he's smarter. But dude was about as athletic and as fast as any 6'4+ dude has ever been in the NBA. Lebron being the exception.

Not like Wade's speed would even matter.

uh, Magic wasn't old as fuck. Magic played in 1996, too. Magic was still elite. His last season he led the team to the Finals.

Bird was hurt. But Pippen was in his prime, anyway. And Stockton and Drexler came off the bench with him.

Best 5:

Magic
Michael
Pippen
Barkley
DRob

Come the fuck on. How does old Kidd, Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Howard combat that?

Moris. What is this Moris?

Um yes. 92 was the year after they got back end swept by the bulls where horace fucking grant was dropping like 20 on him. And how the fuck is old kidd the best when there was deron and fucking CP3. That five you list there is a fucking wash.

Just finished the dream team doc, great watch.

reminds me........

LeBron-Carmelo.jpg

abuC

The Dream team would win because of the front court advantage but it would still be a contest. I think some people are underestimating the redeem teams athleticism. The games played at a different speed today. Lebron would blow their minds.

Not underestimating their athleticism, I don't think enough credit is given to the elite players from 20 years ago and how athletic they were.

I don't necessarily think LeBron would blow their minds, considering at his athletic peak Charles Barkley was 285lbs and could do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0COm1MfaWM

Is there anyone today @ 6"6 280lbs that can grab a board and go coast to coast like the Round mound at 1:55?

what? You ever see him in the 80s?Jordan utilized change of pace more, because he's smarter. But dude was about as athletic and as fast as any 6'4+ dude has ever been in the NBA. Lebron being the exception.

Not like Wade's speed would even matter.

Man hell no. Don't let current wade murk your vision.

And these types of games are all about transistion and running. LBJ, CP3, Wade, Dwight would run their asses out of the gym.

Not underestimating their athleticism, I don't think enough credit is given to the elite players from 20 years ago and how athletic they were.

I don't necessarily think LeBron would blow their minds, considering at his athletic peak Charles Barkley was 285lbs and could do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0COm1MfaWM

Is there anyone today @ 6"6 280lbs that can grab a board and go coast to coast like the Round mound at 1:55?

Lebron blows chucks mind today and he isn't even playing. Please. Dream teams only hope would be extremely physical play.

Um yes. 92 was the year after they got back end swept by the bulls where horace fucking grant was dropping like 20 on him. And how the fuck is old kidd the best when there was deron and fucking CP3. That five you list there is a fucking wash.

Magic averaged like 19.5-12.5-7 his last [real] season. Horace Grant wasn't being guarded by Magic. And Worthy was hurt.

And Kidd started so I used that, but it's fine, go with Cp3. Same shit. lol @ 6 foot Cp3 playing defense on 6'9 Magic, though. or would it be MJ?

A fucking wash. You are hilarious.

Magic > Cp3/Deron/Kidd that season. Still.
MJ > Kobe
Bird/Pippen > Wade
Barkley = Lebron (i will be nice and give you this)
DRob >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dwight

How would the Dream team get run out the gym? are you palmer?

Magic, the architect of showtime isn't getting run out of anything. he invented running you out of the gym.

Jordan at his prime was an athletic freak.

Pippen was also amazing and he was KNOWN for stopping speedy, smaller point guards

Barkley was an entirely up tempo player for a huge part of his career.

D-Robinson was Dwight Howard before dwight Howard. The super athletic freak of nature at 7 feet who could run up and down the court with anyone. Only, he had a great offensive game to go with it. D-Rob would shit into Dwight Howard's mouth as he dunked on him. Literally.

edit: Wade and lebron are going to blow by prime MJ and Jordan. Fucking Heat culture. Prime Lebron couldn't even get passed post-prime Shawn marion last finals. give me a fucking break.

Magic averaged like 19.5-12.5-7 his last [real] season. Horace Grant wasn't being guarded by Magic. And Worthy was hurt.

And Kidd started so I used that, but it's fine, go with Cp3. Same shit. lol @ 6 foot Cp3 playing defense on 6'9 Magic, though. or would it be MJ?

A fucking wash. You are hilarious.

Magic > Cp3/Deron/Kidd that season. Still.
MJ > Kobe
Bird/Pippen > Wade
Barkley = Lebron (i will be nice and give you this)
DRob >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dwight

You are out your rabid ass mind.

Deron is big and definetly quick enough to guard magic with his limited ass offensive game. Think rondo Defense. Cp3 couldn't guard magic but the same is even more true vice versa.

MJ > Kobe but kobe will definitly get his

Pippen/Old hurt Bird < LBJ

Barkley>Bosh

The lieutenant > D12

But in the open court where most of these types of games are played the redeem team would beast.

edit: Wade and lebron are going to blow by prime MJ and Jordan. Fucking Heat culture. Prime Lebron couldn't even get passed post-prime Shawn marion last finals. give me a fucking break.

Or Post-Post-Prime Jason Kidd. There were times Lebron refused to take No-Prime DeShawn Stevenson off the dribble. Imagine him at the top of the key with Pippen telling him about seeing his mama in Monte Carlo with his Sony camcorder back in '92

How would the Dream team get run out the gym? are you palmer?

Magic, the architect of showtime isn't getting run out of anything. he invented running you out of the gym.

Jordan at his prime was an athletic freak.

Pippen was also amazing and he was KNOWN for stopping speedy, smaller point guards

Barkley was an entirely up tempo player for a huge part of his career.

D-Robinson was Dwight Howard before dwight Howard. The super athletic freak of nature at 7 feet who could run up and down the court with anyone. Only, he had a great offensive game to go with it. D-Rob would shit into Dwight Howard's mouth as he dunked on him. Literally.

Magic was 32-33. WTF are you talking about? Prime MJ and Jordan? And why the fuck did you edit? Is your delusional ass making shit up lmao?

Or Post-Post-Prime Jason Kidd. There were times Lebron refused to take No-Prime DeShawn Stevenson off the dribble. Imagine him at the top of the key with Pippen telling him about seeing his mama in Monte Carlo back in '92

The same pippen who calls him the "Greatest player ever" and knows because "he played the game". That one?

You are out your rabid ass mind.

Deron is big and definetly quick enough to guard magic with his limited ass offensive game. Think rondo Defense. Cp3 couldn't guard magic but the same is even more true vice versa.

MJ > Kobe but kobe will definitly get his

Pippen/Old hurt Bird < LBJ

Barkley>Bosh

The lieutenant > D12

But in the open court where most of these types of games are played the redeem team would beast.

Magic was 6'9. Are you completely unaware that the only people to really have a chance at guarding him was MJ and Pippen? Deron wouldn't do shit to Magic.

Magic's height was what made him the most unique player in NBA history. A 6'9 TRUE point guard. Deron is going to block off his passing vision? Or cut off his jump hook? Give me a fucking break.

Also, I'd take Pippen over Lebron. If Lebron in his prime couldn't shake Marion, I'm 100% confident prime Pippen aka the best defensive perimeter player ever, can handle him. Lebron would wilt faster than your prom date's corsage.

And the barkley/Drob advantages are HUGE.

Finally, Magic-Michael-Pippen-Barkley-Drob might be the greatest fast breaking team ever assembled.

Magic was 32-33. WTF are you talking about? Prime MJ and Jordan? And why the fuck did you edit? Is your delusional ass making shit up lmao?

obviously meant MJ and Pippen.

Who cares if Magic was 32? Did you see what he could do? Did you see what Kareem did at 32? Did you see what Kobe just did at 33? Did you see what Michael id at 32?

At the age of 32, Michael led his team to the greatest season OF ALL FUCKING TIME. At 32. As the MVP. But at 32, Magic was too old to hang with Deron fucking Williams. LOL

Magic was 6'9. Are you completely unaware that the only people to really have a chance at guarding him was MJ and Pippen? Deron wouldn't do shit to Magic.

Magic's height was what made him the most unique player in NBA history. A 6'9 TRUE point guard. Deron is going to block off his passing vision? Or cut off his jump hook? Give me a fucking break.

Also, I'd take Pippen over Lebron. If Lebron in his prime couldn't shake Marion, I'm 100% confident prime Pippen aka the best defensive perimeter player ever, can handle him. Lebron would wilt faster than your prom date's corsage.

And the barkley/Drob advantages are HUGE.

Finally, Magic-Michael-Pippen-Barkley-Drob might be the greatest fast breaking team ever assembled.

Magic was 6'9, old and slow ass fuck. Passing was literally the only thing he could do.

And CP3/Deron-Wade/Kobe-LBJ-Bosh-D12 would be mighty close.

abuC

Lebron blows chucks mind today and he isn't even playing. Please. Dream teams only hope would be extremely physical play.

Chuck also says Kevin McHale was the best player he's ever played against, not Jordan. And Charles was extremely athletic @ 280lbs, I didn't say he was more athletic than Bron. Just that I don't see how he would blow their minds, especially when they have David Robinson running around like a 7"0 260lbs gazelle and Chuck going coast to coast at 280+lbs.

I think the Redeem team would have more problems with the size and mobility of the bigs from the Dream Team. They nearly lost that game to Spain, don't forget that.

Magic was 6'9, old and slow ass fuck. Passing was literally the only thing he could do.

And CP3/Deron-Wade/Kobe-LBJ-Bosh-D12 would be mighty close.

There needs to be a new word invented for this kind of stupidity.

Oh man, Lark must be shitting his pants if 32 is the age when players are too old to play. Wade will be 32 after next season.

Magic was 1 year removed from a near 20-13-7 season...but passing is all he could do!

obviously meant MJ and Pippen.

Who cares if Magic was 32? Did you see what he could do? Did you see what Kareem did at 32? Did you see what Kobe just did at 33? Did you see what Michael id at 32?

At the age of 32, Michael led his team to the greatest season OF ALL FUCKING TIME. At 32. As the MVP. But at 32, Magic was too old to hang with Deron fucking Williams. LOL

Thats irrelevant. Magic was never half as athletic as them and he was old as fuck. please

abuC

There needs to be a new word invented for this kind of stupidity.

Oh man, Lark must be shitting his pants if 32 is the age when players are too old to play. Wade will be 32 after next season.

Magic was 1 year removed from a near 20-13-7 season...but passing is all he could do!

Yeah, had he not had HIV there's no doubt that he would have kept playing at a very high level.

I don't think he realizes that Magic had a short comeback in 95-96 and averaged 15/7 and 6 in 30mpg at 36 years old, yet he was somehow done at 32?

Thats irrelevant. Magic was never half as athletic as them and he was old as fuck. please

How was Magic "old as fuck." What are you talking about. He was 32. you need your head examined.

Magic averaged 15-7-6 at the age of 36 as a PF for a small stint, fwiw.

I don't think he realizes that Magic had a short comeback in 95-96 and averaged 15/7 and 6 in 30mpg at 36 years old, yet he was somehow done at 32?

And he wasn't even in shape, then!

What's more hilarious is the Redeem team was only up, what, 2 points late to:

teenage Rubio/Navarro
Rudy fernandez
Someone I forget
Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol.

You think the Dream Team wouldn't be up 25+ on this team in the gold medal game, Lark?

lmao.

His only skill at 32 was passing? LOL Even if that were true (it's not true by the way) he'd still be so much better than his competition.

"His only skill at that point was being able to see the court better than any person who has ever played ball ever and make passes that most PGs wouldn't dare even attempt except for maybe the guy who backs him up, big whoop."

abuC

What's more hilarious is the Redeem team was only up, what, 2 points late to:

teenage Rubio/Navarro
Rudy fernandez
Someone I forget
Pau Gasol
Marc Gasol.

You think the Dream Team wouldn't be up 25+ on this team in the gold medal game, Lark?

lmao.

Meanwhile the Dream Team blew the doors off Croatia, who had Drazen Petrovic, Dino Radja and Toni Kukoc.

TylerD

hey gondo

too bad you're married
YoEoc.jpg

Twin Peaks shits on Hooters food and talent wise. Buy a $20 calander at the beginning of the year and you get like 200 in free food. I have never had any problems with the food. The Urban Spoon reviews must all be jealous women.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
No, just no. Ive never seen Jordan move as fast as wade could 4-5 years ago. Even in Space Jam.

Yes. And thats why the dream team would win. I didnt say otherwise.
lol... Yes MJ was about as fast with more shake and bake...

abuC

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yeah. 11 assists, 2 turnovers.

But numbers don't mean anything. I have to "see" the play next game i guess.

Only then will i understand how Russell really is this team's Achilles heel.

Is there any special drank that i have to take as well DY?

Instead of defending your position like its all you have, how about you try and figure out what I'm talking about.

Its not like I pegged the best point guard prospect of the last 5 years as a living, breathing smurf before he even stepped on the court. Maybe there's a slight chance I know what I'm talking about.

And again, a wasted possession is very, very different from a "turnover".

Derrick01

Banned
While I do think the newer team had more athleticism I think the dream team was way more skilled at their positions. Can you imagine Dream on Dwight Howard? His offensive moveset would blow Howard's mind, he would have to guard something that doesn't even exist in his version of the NBA anymore. And other than Kobe no SG had more tricks and skills than MJ. Stockton would have fooled the hell out of most of the PGs. Barkley or Malone on Boozer? HAHAHA.

I also think the biggest factor would be if the teams were allowed to play early 90s basketball, meaning being allowed to knock the shit out of you still. You think Lebron and Wade are mentally soft now? What's going to happen when Barkley or Pippen borderline clotheslines them every other possession?

DY_nasty

While I do think the newer team had more athleticism I think the dream team was way more skilled at their positions. Can you imagine Dream on Dwight Howard? His offensive moveset would blow Howard's mind, he would have to guard something that doesn't even exist in his version of the NBA anymore. And other than Kobe no SG had more tricks and skills than MJ. Stockton would have fooled the hell out of most of the PGs. Barkley or Malone on Boozer? HAHAHA.

I also think the biggest factor would be if the teams were allowed to play early 90s basketball, meaning being allowed to knock the shit out of you still. You think Lebron and Wade are mentally soft now? What's going to happen when Barkley or Pippen borderline clotheslines them every other possession?

I think they were more athletic as well, but that's just me.

Forget Hakeem, Malone would wreck anyone the front line by himself. And the backcourt? I can't see anyone but Deron being in a favorable matchup.

Its still not even close though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
D-Robinson was Dwight Howard before dwight Howard. The super athletic freak of nature at 7 feet who could run up and down the court with anyone. Only, he had a great offensive game to go with it. D-Rob would shit into Dwight Howard's mouth as he dunked on him. Literally..

Gotta be with you on this Dwight isn't nearly the player David was. If you stick dwight in 85-95 dude probably either

A. grows the fuck up and learns a post game.

or

B. averages 15-10 on pure athleticism never making an all star team.

Dwight had issues with the corpse formerly known as Shaq, young shaq/dream/ewing/Zo/Old as fuck kareem/etc would eat that boy alive.

Also a 2001-2002 best squad would destroy 2012 squad.

Prime Shaq>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dwight
Prime Kg/Duncan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Boozer or if they had Blake or Love or Aldrige
Tmac (you forget he actually was pretty great and even had nice D when he was healthy/invested)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Lebron (the teams only sizable advantage)
Early prime Kobe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The corpses jacking bad shots formerly known Wade/Kobe
Prime Kidd/Iverson<<<Cp3/Russ/Deron/Rondo

Even Mutombo would have swatted away Dwight.
Dwight is the one-eyed Center in the land of the no-hand check, no back-down, less than 3 second, no big man league.

DY_nasty

Dwight would've even be able to handle Larry Johnson, let alone Robinson...

KingGondo

Banned
Twin Peaks shits on Hooters food and talent wise. Buy a $20 calander at the beginning of the year and you get like 200 in free food. I have never had any problems with the food. The Urban Spoon reviews must all be jealous women.
How have I not heard of this place?

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1186873&start=285#p32176563

by Chalm Down Bro on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 am
Alright guys, I'm bringing out the big guns. My Shawn Marion Heat jersey is getting worn on Thursday.I use it only for the rarest of occasions, my rule is once a season. In 2009, I wore it for Game 6 against the Hawks, Game 4 against the C's in 2010, and Game 2 against Chicago last year. Let's hope the worst purchase of my life can give us another big win.

I have no idea who you are random real GM guy but that is awesome. GO HEAT

Damn I gotta watch the Dream Team doc when I get home tonight. Yall mothefuckers hyping the shit out of it

All the basketball-heads on my twiiter feed were gushing over it too. Sorry I missed it.

Anyone notice how Jordan was talking with his eyes closed during his "one of the greatest things that ever happened and will never be duplicated" spill?

That guy's game was godly, but damn, I cannot stand him.

I don't think Dwight's all-time great rebounding and help defense go away regardless of the era he plays in. He's better in this one than in the 90s because it's heavier on pick-and-roll than posting up, but he would still be one of the best in the NBA in the 90s.

Top Bottom