• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider

Been on a plane all day. #NBACOMBINE athletic testing numbers released to teams today. Harrison Barnes had awesome #'s across the board.

Barnes had 39.5 inch max vert, had the fastest time in the 3/4 court sprint, showed good lateral quickness & benched 185lbs 15 times

Sounds like a #2 pick to me

Bowser

I honestly do think Barnes will be a better pro than he was a college player. If we traded down I absolutely wouldn't mind MJ picking him up.

pilonv1

Yes, Barnes tested better than MKG in every category. MKG was solid, but only dominated just 1 category: 3/4 court sprint.

Be scared DY

Darius Johnson Odom had highest max vert at 41.5". Miles Plumlee 40.5. Marquis Teague, Jeff Taylor & Marcus Denmon 40"

UNC's John Henson had surprisingly poor numbers. Just a 30" max vert. He's long, but not very explosive.

lol

iamblades

Yeah the Barnes numbers are pretty surprising, just shows how much his handle holds him back. Doesn't matter how quick you are if you can't go full speed without fumbling the ball off your foot.

That's what my decision on who to draft would be based off, how much do I think he can improve his handle realisticly. I'm not a draft expert by any means, but I can't recall ever seeing a guy come into the league with a terrible handle and become great at that particular aspect, while we've seen a huge amount of people come into the league with no jumpshot and become great shooters later on. So for me it's MKG, but I don't know enough about player development to know whether his handle is a fixable issue or not.

giri

You best hope the rumor about the Suns promising Waiters is true if you don't want Rivers. It's funny how much I anticipate drafts when I don't watch college ball. It sucks not having my own evaluation of players, especially because the internet is full of conflicting opinions. Not to mention people are wrong about players every year anyway.

TBH, the suns usually draft well, when they have a pick. So i'm not overly concerned, and know that as long as we get a guy who can be a starter in the NBA @ 14 or 13 or what ever pick we have, we got value.

Yeah the Barnes numbers are pretty surprising, just shows how much his handle holds him back. Doesn't matter how quick you are if you can't go full speed without fumbling the ball off your foot.

That's what my decision on who to draft would be based off, how much do I think he can improve his handle realisticly. I'm not a draft expert by any means, but I can't recall ever seeing a guy come into the league with a terrible handle and become great at that particular aspect, while we've seen a huge amount of people come into the league with no jumpshot and become great shooters later on. So for me it's MKG, but I don't know enough about player development to know whether his handle is a fixable issue or not.

Monta Ellis...his handles dramatically improved over the years..though he's not exactly a top tier ball handler though...

pilonv1

Ball handling isn't why Monta can't play PG.

His lack of ability to run an offense for a team, and not just him self, is.

He's improved his passing though. But Gully is right, his handling is improved from when he entered the league.

Shame he never got at least a year in college learning to run an offense though.

RBH

121267348.jpg

Pistons forward Charlie Villanueva probably would like to start his 2012 year all over again.

After dealing with injuries for the entire lockout-shortened season for the Pistons — he didn't play any significant minutes — he won't play for the Dominican Republic national team because he's out of shape, head coach John Calipari said.

"Charlie was not in good form when we saw him," Calipari told Deportes en la Z. "He was overweight, and unfortunately, we could not slow down the entire team and it was a decision taken collectively. Last year, Charlie behaved really well with us and his only problem was his weight."

Villanueva never was in camp with the team this summer, contrary to the FIBA.com report that said he had a private workout with the team in New York.

It's believed the team wasn't pleased with his conditioning last summer, which led to the decision, after being a big part of the national team in recent years. An ankle injury slowed his progress and any hopes of getting much playing time for the Pistons this season.

Villanueva posted a picture on Twitter (lockerz.com/s/216607888) of him stepping on a weight scale, showing he's at 243.5 pounds, at least 10 pounds less than his playing weight of 255 pounds. "Lol case closed" he wrote in a Tweet.

He's under contract for the next two seasons with the Pistons, and it seems unlikely they'd use the Amnesty Clause to cut Villanueva's $16.6 million cap figure he'd earn over that time.

"An NBA player like him deserves respect and for respect, we have taken this decision," Calipari said. "I enjoyed coaching him a lot. He is a great player."

Villanueva, 27, played only 13 games for the Pistons last season because of injury.

The Dominican Republic national team has two exhibition games scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday in Kentucky. The Olympic qualifying tournament is set for early July in Venezuela.

Calipari coached the Dominican to a bronze medal in the FIBA Americas Championship in Argentina.

Among those on the 15-player Dominican roster are the Horford brothers — Al, who plays for the Hawks, and Jon, who plays at Michigan. They are from Grand Ledge, Mich. Former Michigan center Josh Asselin also is on the team.
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...rom-Dominican-team--Al--Jon-Horford-on-roster

Three finalists for Magic GM are Dennis Lindsey (Spurs assistant GM), Rob Hennigan (Chunder assistant GM) and Jeff Bower (Dr. Robotnik)

Mike Malone also seems to be the new favorite for coach.

Henson at 18 would be a pretty good pick. He doesn't have Anthony Davis' offensive talent, but his defensive ability and size are pretty close to where Davis is at (his reach is actually longer than Davis'). If he can add another 20 pounds or so he would be a solid complement to Kevin Love.

Kevtones

Still want the Blazers to take Lillard and Sullinger. I'm a little concerned about Lillard's performance against better players but I think he's worth the pick.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-06-13/ballmer-part-of-investor-group-for-seattle-arena
The effort to build a new arena in Seattle with the hopes of seeing the NBA return has added a big name: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.

Ballmer will be part of the investment group for both the arena and the acquisition of an NBA franchise, according to a letter sent Wednesday by hedge-fund manager and investment group leader Chris Hansen to King County Executive Dow Constantine and Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn.

That Ballmer is part of the investment group is not a surprise. Ballmer is a longtime basketball fan who regularly sat courtside at SuperSonics games before their departure to Oklahoma City in 2008 and was part of a group that made a last-ditch effort to try to keep the team in Seattle.

At that time, Ballmer teamed with a handful of other Seattle businessmen to offer a renovation of KeyArena. Now Ballmer is throwing his support, and dollars, behind Hansen's proposal for a $490 million arena to be built in the city's SoDo neighborhood to house an NBA franchise and which could possibly bring the NHL to Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom