• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost wish I could fast forward to a year from now to see what Cho does in free agency. Maggette and Diop are coming off the books at the end of next season, and if we amnesty Tyrus we'd have enough cap space to pay two max contracts and resign the players we want to keep. I just wonder who would be willing to come to Charlotte.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I almost wish I could fast forward to a year from now to see what Cho does in free agency. Maggette and Diop are coming off the books at the end of next season, and if we amnesty Tyrus we'd have enough cap space to pay two max contracts and resign the players we want to keep. I just wonder who would be willing to come to Charlotte.

Its ridiculous how many options Cho has at the moment, all things considered.

We don't have to amnesty Tyrus either. The amount of flexibility at the moment is great. We don't need to sign anyone either. It's nice that its an option, but we aren't going to be doomed if choose to wait.

The reality is that Brooks and his bosses, after months of talks, don't have a deal ... and time is running out. And sources say that the Thunder, just to be safe, have started brainstorming in-house about whom they plan to pursue should negotiations with Brooks collapse. Two names, according to sources, that have come up in those discussions: ESPN's Jeff Van Gundy and, yes, 11-ringed coaching free agent Phil Jackson.

Lol well i saw lots of "Thunder better try to get Phil Jackson" on twitter and other forums last night.

What if Pat Riley took over for Spo D:

Riley vs Jackson vs Doc :p

KingGondo

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I really like Brooks and he has undeniably done a good job...

But I think it's time to move on to the next phase and get a proven coach who is more flexible lineup-wise and who can install an offensive system. If OKC could pass they'd be so much more deadly than they already are.

Who the fuck am I kidding. Brooks will be here forever.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Brooks and he has undeniably done a good job...

But I think it's time to move on to the next phase and get a proven coach who is more flexible lineup-wise and who can install an offensive system. If OKC could pass they'd be so much more deadly than they already are.

Brooks is there until Durant or YNB say so

Its ridiculous how many options Cho has at the moment, all things considered.

We don't have to amnesty Tyrus either. The amount of flexibility at the moment is great. We don't need to sign anyone either. It's nice that its an option, but we aren't going to be doomed if choose to wait.

I agree, we need to play the long game. There's no reason to rush out and sign FAs just because we can. It's better for us to bide our time and wait for the right player to come along. Regardless of who we draft over the next two years though I think we're going to have to at least sign a SF and a PG. I wonder how much Stephen Curry would cost us?

Gonna be like Avery Johnson all over. He'll be fired in the second year of his contract, don't worry.

Jonm1010

Banned

Honestly both of those would be improvements. Though as someone told me last night, I don't think Phil would be jumping at spending his twilight years in Oklahoma.

I admit I don't watch more than maybe ten thunder games a year, minus the playoffs, but brooks is just not the sort of coach I'd want coaching one of the best young talents in the NBA. He clearly doesn't understand lineups and I just get from him that he's a guy who's completely riding on having one of the most stacked teams in the league and doesn't really bring a lot to the table.

KingGondo

Banned
Honestly both of those would be improvements. Though as someone told me last night, I don't think Phil would be jumping at spending his twilight years in Oklahoma.

I admit I don't watch more than maybe ten thunder games a year, minus the playoffs, but brooks is just not the sort of coach I'd want coaching one of the best young talents in the NBA.
He's a good developmental coach and good motivator, and they can chip with him--but IMO they're probably leaving chips on the table if they keep him over an Xs and Os type of guy.

Heck, OKC might have left one on the table with the loss to the Heat--and yes, I primarily blame the rotations and (lack of) adjustments for the loss.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

if4tHnMPwAnme.gif

Great news.

Rumors are that the Cavs might move up to #2 to get Beal because Washington has no choice but to pick him.

I still want MKG regardless but...my god. Our only shooter on the team will be Crawful.

We're going to be pretty good defensively though.

Wall/Mack
MKG/Crawful
Ariza/Vesely
Nene/Booker
Okafor/Seraphin

60 PPG?

In a surprise ruling on Friday, New York Knicks' Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, Los Angeles Clippers' Chauncey Billups and Portland Trail Blazers' J.J. Hickson secured Bird and early Bird rights in a hearing between the NBA players' association and the league.

The decision was made by arbitrator Kenneth Dam, who affirmed that players claimed off waivers are able to retain their valuable Bird and early Bird rights when they become free agents. That means that if Lin, Billups, Novak and Hickson re-sign, their teams can go over the salary cap.

The NBA said it would appeal the ruling.

All four players were waived this season and claimed by other teams. They will become free agents July 1.

In addition, future players claimed off waivers will likewise benefit from Friday's ruling.

Lin and Novak wll enter the 2012-13 free agency period with early Bird rights, meaning that they can be re-signed for 175 percent of their salary the previous season or the NBA average salary, whichever is greater.

Billups and Hickson will have Bird rights, meaning they can be re-signed up to the maximum salary.

"Bird and early Bird rights are the lynchpin of our Soft Cap system, and we're pleased that Professor Dam recognized that a player does not forfeit these important rights unless he makes an affirmative decision to sign with a new team as a free agent," NBPA executive director Billy Hunter said in a statement released by the players' union. "Players fought hard for a Collective Bargaining Agreement that allows maximum flexibility for free-agent players while also permitting teams to retain their core free agents, and today's decision affirms both of these important principles."

The ruling is especially huge for the Knicks. They can now retain Lin, Novak and Landry Fields at up to $5 million each and then sign an additional player at $3 million or less with their mid-level exception. The Knicks will likely be in the market for a seasoned veteran point guard. The ruling is one step toward creating enough space to go after a player such as Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Andre Miller or Raymond Felton.

The Knicks could also retain J.R. Smith if he accepts his player option of $2.5 million. He has until June 26 to decide if he wants to opt in or out. Beyond that, the Knicks will only have veteran's minimum contracts of $1.4 million to spend to fill out the rest of their roster.
tumblr_m2npc49uQd1qbnsq2.gif

CeQJg.gif

Daniel+Bryan+yes.gif
Daniel+Bryan+yes.gif
Daniel+Bryan+yes.gif

JLijS.gif

Jonm1010

Banned
Rumors are that the Cavs might move up to #2 to get Beal because Washington has no choice but to pick him.

I still want MKG regardless but...my god. Our only shooter on the team will be Crawful.

We're going to be pretty good defensively though.

Wall/Mack
MKG/Crawful
Ariza/Vesely
Nene/Booker
Okafor/Seraphin

60 PPG?

You all are going to run into the same problem the hornets did two years ago. Great defensive team with only one scorer and ariza......and ariza will THINK he's a great scorer and will chuck all game and make you want to beat your head in with a brick.

Yes, I am pleased with this development.

Also, if you miss out on Beal you need to take Barnes and either start Crawford again or play Ariza at SG.

Crawford can't play alongside Wall. Really hurts Walls development as a player because Crawford likes to dominate the ball.

And I'm not taking Barnes even if we need a shooter. Drafting for need is really dumb given our current situation. BPA will be MKG.

Bowser

I've not only come to terms with Jordan selecting Barnes, I'm actually looking forward to it.

Oh god, I've talked myself into Barnes...

Crawford can't play alongside Wall. Really hurts Walls development as a player because Crawford likes to dominate the ball.

And I'm not taking Barnes even if we need a shooter. Drafting for need is really dumb given our current situation. BPA will be MKG.

MKG and Barnes aren't that far apart and that roster is going to need offense a lot more than it does defense. Unless you think MKG can play and defend 2 guards Barnes would be the smarter pick.

Best available player that is not a SF. If it's Nash, be it. Resign everyone. Start Shump.

We can't spend more than $3M of the MLE or else we'd be in a hardcap. I don't think Nash will come for that little. I heard Jason Kidd wants to play for NY and money isn't a concern. So, we can bring him in for the vet min and see if Ray Allen would take that big of a paycut. How much would Miami would be able to offer him?

https://twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon

P.S. The NBA wants to appeal the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom