• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxrz

That picture was after the Magic traded for him. He definitely lost a ton of weight, I was actually excited to see what he could do while in better shape.

Of course he was fucking awful last season. Hoping for better things from him this season since he played better without Dwight and well he's going to be playing 30+ minutes a night.

I get flak for it, but I was one of the few happy to see him come to the Magic. He's entertaining, and he has a chance to go off in the playoffs. But I wasn't as huge a fan of npBass as some. Not sure where he fits now, but I'd keep him over the corpse of J-Rich at least.

Shabazz and Nerlen are supposed to be that bad?

I'm personally pretty high on Bazz...when ever you get a great SG prospect with an NBA body you gotta be interested. He's a left with a lot of bulk already...can probably produce right away.

Not really high at all on Nerlens. Cody Zeller looks interesting. Overall probably a slightly worse draft than 2010 which was pretty awful overall so yea..

Flash

I'm actually on the fence about him. He makes good moves and bad, but always drafts well and usually wins trades. At the end of the day he hasn't put together a good team in his time here, but I feel like he's finally on the right track trying to build a team that can defend and rebound instead of some dumb swishy Euroball Suns wannabe.

Unless he meshes insanely well with Valanciunas Bargs needs to go though. He's their only real scoring threat so they can't move him right away, but he's the wrong type of guy to try and build around for so many reasons.

The guy is just such a mediocre GM. He probably has one of the worst FA signing track records in the league. All those trades he wins were usually to rectify he's mistakes. All of this leads to below average mediocrity which is the worst position you can be in this league.

He's also unbelievably loyal to Bargnani to the point it's just sickening. And he constantly overpays FA that nobody else would want (Turk, Kleiza, Fields, Kapono) and his own players for no reason (Amir Johnson, Calderon, Bargnani).

Nelo Ice

Banned
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...nue-puruse-orlando-magic-center-dwight-howard

The Lakers remain committed to pursuing Howard even without assurances he'd sign a long-term extension with the club. What's unclear to both sides is whether Orlando would accept Andrew Bynum without assurances he'd sign a long-term extension.

Cleveland and Houston, both of whom are under the salary cap and rich in prospects and future draft picks, have engaged the Magic as potential third-team facilitators. However nothing is imminent on that front and the most substantial discussions have been directly between Orlando and Los Angeles.

Hennigan is really trying to get Mitch Morey or anyone to up their offers and its failing in spectacular fashion lol.

SamuraiX-

Are the 76ers really going to start Kwame at center instead of going with Thad and Hawes as the starting big men? Why?

Kwame AND Hawes will be starting, according to Collins.

Yeah... Figure that one out.

There was an article I was reading earlier where Doug was talking about how he's always wanted Kwame on the team since he got the coaching job in the Philly. Talked about how he made so many mistakes as a coach when he coached the Kwame-Wizards back in the day and that the guy is really a diamond in the rough and blurrrrgghghhhhhhh

squicken

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...nue-puruse-orlando-magic-center-dwight-howard

Hennigan is really trying to get Mitch Morey or anyone to up their offers and its failing in spectacular fashion lol.

I think it's simply Hennigan isn't going to go through with Bynum what they went through with Dwight. If Bynum won't commit to an extension I don't see him going to ORL. I know we laugh at the Cavs and call them hypocrites for trying to help super-teams, but getting Dwight out of the East is actually good basketball sense

Fox318

Cavs should just trade for Dwight straight up. Best way to stop the Heat is to do it yourself.

awpWO.png

Nelo Ice

Banned
I think it's simply Hennigan isn't going to go through with Bynum what they went through with Dwight. If Bynum won't commit to an extension I don't see him going to ORL. I know we laugh at the Cavs and call them hypocrites for trying to help super-teams, but getting Dwight out of the East is actually good basketball sense

Yeah that makes sense since it's still entirely possible Bynum or Dwight will walk away from an extra 2 years and like 40 million. I just hope Mitch can somehow work towards getting a 3 team done and shipping Bynum elsewhere then.

2 guards are going to be lighting it up in college next year, the draft is stacked at that position. Seriously, check out some of these guys:

For sure 1st rounders

Rodney Purvis (best prospect NC State has had in a while)
Shabazz Mohammad (more athletic Harden)
Archie Goodwin (more athletic Doron Lamb)
Reggie Bullock (better overall game than Barnes)
Rasheed Sulaimon (better than Rivers imo)
Ricardo Ledo (will dominate at Providence)

HS All-Americans and under the radar guys

BJ Young (lights out shooter, will probably lead SEC in scoring)
Gary Harris (don't know much about him, McD All-American though)
PJ Hairston (NBA body and athleticism)
Jamaal Franklin (will give Faried run for his money for best SDSU player)
Michael Snaer (most underrated player in the ACC)
Carter-Williams (Syracuse boost)
Ben McLemore (will get a lot of burn for Kansas, not sure how good he'll be)

Nelo Ice

Banned
Nelo just won't take no for an answer

If you can get the best C in the league you fucking do it. I won't even be mad if we don't get him. By all accounts we're apparently in the lead so hell yeah I'm hoping we get him otherwise if we don't then he goes to Houston or elsewhere.

edit:If Houston really wanted Dwight they could have had a long time ago if they offered that deal that was reported awhile back. I've been saying that Bynum makes sense since he's clearly the safer bet and won't cost nearly as much as getting Dwight. Right now the 3 team trades being discussed sound like a compromise since Houston doesn't want to break the bank to get Dwight but still want their top flight Center. Right now it sounds like Hennigan is trying to work Houston, LA, or Cleveland to give up more than what they're willing to offer and it's failing.

charsace

2 guards are going to be lighting it up in college next year, the draft is stacked at that position. Seriously, check out some of these guys:

For sure 1st rounders

The best player in next year's draft is Cody Zeller aka Best Zeller. And Shabazz is nothing like Harden. He has a SF game. His game is similar to Carmelo, but he is really lacking in his change direction and change of pace.

thekad

Banned
Yeah, I don't get the Wade or Harden comparisons for Shabazz. A lot less explosive than Wade and doesn't have the point guard skills Harden, which is what differentiated them from the average shooting guard (Shabazz).

The guy is just such a mediocre GM. He probably has one of the worst FA signing track records in the league. All those trades he wins were usually to rectify he's mistakes. All of this leads to below average mediocrity which is the worst position you can be in this league.

He's also unbelievably loyal to Bargnani to the point it's just sickening. And he constantly overpays FA that nobody else would want (Turk, Kleiza, Fields, Kapono) and his own players for no reason (Amir Johnson, Calderon, Bargnani).

Hold on now - you're rewriting history after the fact on a lot of that.

Turkoglu was hands down the #1 free agent that summer, it was seen as a coup when he landed him. Even though the contract turned out to be bs, he turned down a similar offer from Portland and a lot of Orlando players including Howard were pissed when Otis didn't match.

Kapono was easily the best 3 point shooter in the league (and one of the best in history) when they signed him, shooting a god-tier.494 and .514 from 3, and was an important piece on the Shaq/Wade Heat championship team. He was in plenty of demand. That contract was the premium for landing him on a team that wasn't a championship contender. The thinking was he would look great in Smitch's system that manufactured open 3 pointers all game.

Kleiza already had a 47 point game and a .472 shooting season under his belt in the NBA, and had won the Euroleague scoring title and led Lithuania to a medal in the FIBA championship right before the Raptors signed him. That's another contract that looks terrible in hindsight but was good market value for a guy who a lot of people thought looked primed to explode at the time.

And as much as Bargs bugs me, he is unquestionably underpaid. Look at the guys in his tier, the LMAs and Brooks Lopez types. That is not a bad contract.

Same with Calderon, look at what his numbers were:

12.8 ppg // 8.9 apg // 0.497 FG // 0.406 // 3p FT // 0.981

Those are crazy numbers, exactly what you want from an unselfish point guard type. He's also a pass-first motivated guy. He's a flawed player, but look at what other starting PGs get, that's not an overpaid FA deal even though he's slid since signing it.

I think the blame with all those guys lies more in the team's culture, that they were successful with other organizations and suddenly got lazy when they came here. That's not a coincidence. If you want to blame Colangelo for something with those guys, blame him for not having a more disciplined atmosphere around the team.

And yes, his model for team building has been majorly flawed too. But he seems to have learned from all that - Casey seems like more of a disciplinarian and his style centred on defence and rebounding is exactly what's been needed here. I look at this as Colangelo's chance to get it right, with things finally headed in a sane direction - if he doesn't here, then yeah, forget about him.

charsace

Yeah, I don't get the Wade or Harden comparisons for Shabazz. A lot less explosive than Wade and doesn't have the point guard skills Harden, which is what differentiated them from the average shooting guard (Shabazz).

He has a big body like them that's why people compare him to those guys.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

For sure 1st rounders

Sulaimon says he believes he'll be at Duke for probably 2-3 years (they all say that) but the rub on him is he's a phenominal defender and decent shooter. He may also want to stick around for Matt Jones and Rodney Hood and make a run in 13-14 season. We will have a scary backcourt.
He's an all around better player than Rivers but he's not as big a scorer/chucker as Rivers. AR also had the mindset he was gone after one year anyway, Sheed does not. I'm interested to see what Haiston and Bullock do for UNC this year. Tokoto is also a sleeper but Huckleberry knows how to get those 1st rounders to stick around.

The Rockets look like a team that isn't going to be a title contender, but does very much look like a team with the odd pieces to put Lin in a position to succeed. More so than the ISOMelo sets in New York, the Rockets are building a wide-open set with young players like Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, Terrence Jones, and Chandler Parsons, and some versatility as well.

If they don't get Dwight Howard, the Rockets may not even be good enough to make the playoffs. Lin's certainly going to be a defensive liability and on nights where he doesn't have it going, it could be difficult for them to score. But they're going to be fast, exciting, and versatile. The kind of team you want to build towards something new with, honestly.

Or they could get Dwight Howard.

You know, either way.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...7913/How-does-Jeremy-Lin-fit-with-the-Rockets

Even after all the forward army talk, and knocks on Morey, I'm actually excited to see this team.

The best player in next year's draft is Cody Zeller aka Best Zeller. And Shabazz is nothing like Harden. He has a SF game. His game is similar to Carmelo, but he is really lacking in his change direction and change of pace.

I should have said a better shooting, but less explosive Wade. Like Dwayne his best skill is attacking the rim, but you're right his handle isn't the best and that limits how much he can leverage his athleticism. His skill level is closer to a 3, but he doesn't have the size to play there in the NBA. At least on the defensive end that makes him a shooting guard.

Honestly, I don't want to jinx anything but with this move, the Rockets may have thrown themselves out of the Dwight sweepstakes. Think about it, you're Dwight Howard, who do you want to play with: Jeremy Lin or Steve Nash?

Yeah, but now he's in position to cash in big time by taking the China's Favourite Black Man™ throne from T-Mac. He's got that killer winning smile and two-eyes-looking-in-the-same-direction combo that could really make that work.

masud

Banned
Just to be clear this avatar is not sarcastic. Losing Lin was inexcusable but that doesn't change the fact that I’m a fan of Raymond Felton. He busted his ass for us two years ago and he looked good in Denver too. Hopefully he's motivated and gets in shape for the season.

Bowser

Just to be clear this avatar is not sarcastic. Losing Lin was inexcusable but that doesn't change the fact that I’m a fan of Raymond Felton. He busted his ass for us two years ago and he looked good in Denver too. Hopefully he's motivated and gets in shape for the season.

As a huge UNC fan, it's crazy for me to see that Ray went from this:

72306033_display_image.jpg

to this:

Raymond-Felton-looking-fat.jpg

Stop it. The grief is clouding your mind.

Sulaimon says he believes he'll be at Duke for probably 2-3 years (they all say that) but the rub on him is he's a phenominal defender and decent shooter. He may also want to stick around for Matt Jones and Rodney Hood and make a run in 13-14 season. We will have a scary backcourt.
He's an all around better player than Rivers but he's not as big a scorer/chucker as Rivers. AR also had the mindset he was gone after one year anyway, Sheed does not. I'm interested to see what Haiston and Bullock do for UNC this year. Tokoto is also a sleeper but Huckleberry knows how to get those 1st rounders to stick around.

I didn't know Sulaimon had committed to being a multi-year player. If Sulaimon and Cook step up you'll have a much better backcourt than you had last year. Losing Rivers was addition by subtraction. I think it's going to be betwen you and NCSU for top spot in the ACC. I think Bullock and McAdoo are both going to have break out seasons, but UNC won't have the depth or experience to be a real threat.

Fox318

What a great thing to say about a pro athlete.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html

Some snips:

"Honestly, I preferred New York," Lin says. "But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved."

The process began in late June, when Knicks coach Mike Woodson, who was in Los Angeles visiting Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Landry Fields, contacted Lin to arrange a meeting to discuss his future. When Woodson said that his schedule prevented him from coming to Palo Alto, Lin -- who has been living with his parents this summer -- wound up flying to L.A. That night, over dinner at Mastro's Steakhouse in Beverly Hills, the guard was sold. "Woodson was saying, 'You're going to be a starter, you're going to be a big part of the team,'" Lin says. "I came away really excited."

---

The last time Lin talked to Knicks owner James Dolan was right before Game 5 of the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, when New York was down, 3-1, to eventual NBA champion Miami. Lin, who had suffered a meniscus tear in his left knee, had been ruled out for the remainder of the regular season and had already missed the first four games of this playoff series.

Now Dolan, with point guard Baron Davis also injured, wondered about Lin's availability. But the matter had already been settled. "Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin says. "And I had arguments with them about why I should."

Dolan -- who didn't talk to Lin often but had generally been "really nice to me" --wound up expressing support. "I have plans for you in the future," Lin recalls the owner saying. "This is a long-term investment. Don't rush back."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom