• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

Just to be clear this avatar is not sarcastic. Losing Lin was inexcusable but that doesn't change the fact that I’m a fan of Raymond Felton. He busted his ass for us two years ago and he looked good in Denver too. Hopefully he's motivated and gets in shape for the season.

Dude is a professional athlete. If he can't stay away from the pastry section of a bodega we are in some trouble.

Mxrz

Tired of all the Lin videos. Someone needs to make some musical tributes for Felton now. Karma must be balanced.

Knicks getting trashed so hard, I almost want to root for them. But then I remember they traded for Melo.

LMA is one of the best help defending big men in the NBA, Bargnani is the worst other than maybe Al Jefferson and Greg Monroe. They aren't in the same tier in the slightest. LMA basically carried the Blazers to the playoffs two years ago when Roy and Oden had injuries that basically ended their careers. Bargnani can carry teams to top 5 picks in the East.

h3ro

Dude is a professional athlete. If he can't stay away from the pastry section of a bodega we are in some trouble.

What kind of bougie bodega has a pastry section? Is that what you call the pile of ho-ho's and devil dogs piled up infront of the register?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
LMA is one of the best help defending big men in the NBA, Bargnani is the worst other than maybe Al Jefferson and Greg Monroe. They aren't in the same tier in the slightest. LMA basically carried the Blazers to the playoffs two years ago when Roy and Oden had injuries that basically ended their careers. Bargnani can carry teams to top 5 picks in the East.

What the hell prompted this comment?

Yep. Night Life Felton gonna return and play solid ball after he loses that gut. Believe!!!

rayfeltonstew.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/07/18/jeremy-lin-exclusive/index.html

Some snips:

"Honestly, I preferred New York," Lin says. "But my main goal in free agency was to go to a team that had plans for me and wanted me. I wanted to have fun playing basketball. ... Now I'm definitely relieved."

The process began in late June, when Knicks coach Mike Woodson, who was in Los Angeles visiting Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Landry Fields, contacted Lin to arrange a meeting to discuss his future. When Woodson said that his schedule prevented him from coming to Palo Alto, Lin -- who has been living with his parents this summer -- wound up flying to L.A. That night, over dinner at Mastro's Steakhouse in Beverly Hills, the guard was sold. "Woodson was saying, 'You're going to be a starter, you're going to be a big part of the team,'" Lin says. "I came away really excited."

---

The last time Lin talked to Knicks owner James Dolan was right before Game 5 of the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs, when New York was down, 3-1, to eventual NBA champion Miami. Lin, who had suffered a meniscus tear in his left knee, had been ruled out for the remainder of the regular season and had already missed the first four games of this playoff series.

Now Dolan, with point guard Baron Davis also injured, wondered about Lin's availability. But the matter had already been settled. "Every single vet on our team that has been in the league longer than five years pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't play," Lin says. "And I had arguments with them about why I should."

Dolan -- who didn't talk to Lin often but had generally been "really nice to me" --wound up expressing support. "I have plans for you in the future," Lin recalls the owner saying. "This is a long-term investment. Don't rush back."

Great article. Tons of insight on everything. I highly recommend everyone read this.

In truth, it looks like he psyched himself out thinking the Knicks would ditch him when they wanted to add Felton back, so he got nervous and signed that 2nd contract. Foolish move.

Cloudy

Banned
WallaceNBA_ESPN Michael Wallace
Think there's a lot of angst/debate over Linsanity now? Just wait til he's voted starter over CP3 at All-Star game in Hou next year.

This is quite possible especially if he plays well. Like I said, this kid is gonna be a target of every opposing PG every night. I hope he's ready for what's coming

reilo

I said they were in the same tier of player, which they were when the deals were signed. He's obviously turned out better than Bargs. I can see how my including of Lopez makes it read like I mean now though.

It's a weird comparison anyway since their salary difference is $2mil/yr. and LaMarcus is ten-fold the better player. Not to mention that LMA is probably underpaid for his production.

Even when LMA signed his contract, he was better than Bargnani by a long stretch.

For Knicks-age:

I know you're gonna miss "Linovers", so how about this: Seeing as Felton (now in the big apple) averages just under 1 less turnover a game than Lin, you'll have plenty of time to bemoan the newly named "Big Apple Turnovers".

Great article. Tons of insight on everything. I highly recommend everyone read this.

In truth, it looks like he psyched himself out thinking the Knicks would ditch him when they wanted to add Felton back, so he got nervous and signed that 2nd contract. Foolish move.

Yeah, really interesting piece. I think this bit is the most telling.

SI said:
The Knicks would not make a formal offer to Lin -- not then, or, ultimately, ever -- instead opting to steer him toward the open market so he could assess his own price.

Ultimately the Knicks never negotiated. People can say whatever they want about the second offer sheet, but the bottom line is the Knicks had their chance to negotiate an offer and they decided to just let the rest of the league do it instead. They effectively had no problem letting Morey negotiate their own contract until they saw the result.

Cloudy

Banned
Ultimately the Knicks never negotiated. People can say whatever they want about the second offer sheet, but the bottom line is the Knicks had their chance to negotiate an offer and they decided to just let the rest of the league do it instead. They effectively had no problem letting Morey negotiate their own contract until they saw the result.

Honestly NOT making a formal offer is the right thing to do when you have the option of matching. Many in the NBA are still skeptical of him as a starter and there's no way they could have anticipated Houston making such an outrageous offer (It is pretty telling that no other team had real interest). His market value was hard to gauge because it's not just based on court production.

I don't think either side was wrong on this. Lin was looking to get paid and NY was not going to overpay an unproven player AND pay millions in luxury tax.

My only issue with Lin is the rumor that re-worked the original Houston offer after NY agreed to match. That's bullshit if true and any NY fan has a right to be mad at him for that.

The Lakers continue to pursue a trade for Dwight Howard, but there was no face-to-face meeting between Mitch Kupchak and Magic general manager Rob Hennigan on Tuesday.

The Lakers are prepared to trade for Howard without an assurance on a long-term extension.

But it is unclear if the Magic would trade Howard for Andrew Bynum without an assurance from him.

Both the Cavaliers and Rockets are prepared to be involved as a third-team.

If a Howard trade isn't feasible, the Lakers are prepared to walk away and resume extension talks with Bynum.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ard_Without_Extension_Assurance#ixzz20zmYOVWG

Welp...

Honestly, I prefer we sign Dwight Howard more so we don't offer an extension to Bynum than us getting the best center in the league. If we sign Bynum to an extension, this team will not recover for a decade.

Honestly NOT making a formal offer is the right thing to do when you have the option of matching. Many in the NBA are still skeptical of him as a starter and there's no way they could have anticipated Houston making such an outrageous offer.

I don't think either side was wrong on this. Lin was looking to get paid and NY were nopt going to overpay an unproven player AND pay millions in luxury tax.

My only issue with Lin is the rumor that re-worked the original Houston offer after NY agreed to match. That's bullshit if true and an NY fan has a right to be mad at him for that

they gave amare a contract knowing about his knees. so why not give lin one?

giga

lol

The decision was both financial and emotional since Garden chairman James Dolan was upset over Lin restructuring his deal with Houston last week to include a third year salary of $14.9 million. Dolan, according to sources, felt he was deceived by the 23-year-old Lin.

Of course, team officials privately felt that Lin's actions over the past few weeks were anything but grateful. They were upset that he hired a publicist without their consent and were livid that the second-year point guard out of Harvard went back to the Rockets for more money. [...]

But in this case, Dolan felt betrayed by Lin for going back to Houston to rework the contract. After all, the Knicks acquired Lin in December after he was released by both Golden State and Houston.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ding-match-3-year-25m-offer-article-1.1116369

My only issue with Lin is the rumor that re-worked the original Houston offer after NY agreed to match. That's bullshit if true and any NY fan has a right to be mad at him for that.
It's not a rumor. He did do it, the issue was if it was his decision or his agents'.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I always lol when owners talk about loyalty. Those same guys will cut/trade your ass on the drop of a dime if they feel the need to do so. Good on Lin for getting his money.

Bowser

I always lol when owners talk about loyalty. Those same guys will cut/trade your ass on the drop of a dime if they feel the need to do so. Good on Lin for getting his money.

Totally agreed here. Guys that aren't superstars have 1, maybe 2 chances to cash in. Take all that you can get.

Owners cause a lockout over money, require a new CBA, still make dumbass decisions this off season, then complain when a player goes to get more money. Yep. Makes sense.

reilo

Owners cause a lockout over money, require a new CBA, still make dumbass decisions this off season, then complain when a player goes to get more money. Yep. Makes sense.

Actually, the ironic bit is that Dolan was one of those guys that wanted to keep the old CBA because it benefited him the most.

If anything, Dolan letting Lin go for (supposed) tax reasons means that the new CBA is working in some form: the big markets aren't willing to have a $100mil payroll anymore.

Of course that does not excuse the idiocy that was not amnestying Amare and all the other contracts.

Cos Amare had started more than 25 games. Injuries and all, he was a PROVEN commodity. Lin isn't

He was marked as an immediate risk and got a max that kept The Knicks from doing anything meaningful. They now can do very little to bolster their roster, Lin's deal didn't take them out of FA bidding, they were already out of them.

Actually, the ironic bit is that Dolan was one of those guys that wanted to keep the old CBA because it benefited him the most.

If anything, Dolan letting Lin go for (supposed) tax reasons means that the new CBA is working in some form: the big markets aren't willing to have a $100mil payroll anymore.

Of course that does not excuse the idiocy that was not amnestying Amare and all the other contracts.

Yes, I realize that, but the point stands. More often than not, a billionaire owner expects loyalty from a millionaire when the billionaire is more than willing to cut anyone at anytime (unless you're Dolan with Isaiah Thomas/Amare).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom