• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

And was still better than prime Kobe

image00132858705158533o14t.jpg

He GLIDIN'!

I see 6 players in the prime at that time better than Kobe in his prime...

MJ Bark Pippen Malone DRo Stock.. Also I think Drexler was better at getting to the cup, but that might be a wash.. So basically he would be the 6th or 7th best player on that team! But on the good side he could get drinks with Mullin!
I'd give you MJ and Charles but no way are pip, malone, robinson, stockton better than prime Kobe. How can you honestly say that? Look at what Pippen was doing at Kobe's current age.
http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=PIPPESC01
Compare their prime numbers and that's just numbers, compare their skill. Anyone with 2 eyes can see Kobe was a better player. The only one I'd give you past MJ is Barkley. Stockton, Malone and Robinson over Kobe? Come on. Malone and Robinson 18-foot jumpers were 90% of their offensive game.

thekad

Banned
I see 6 players in the prime at that time better than Kobe in his prime...

MJ Bark Pippen Malone DRo Stock.. Also I think Drexler was better at getting to the cup, but that might be a wash.. So basically he would be the 6th or 7th best player on that team! But on the good side he could get drinks with Mullin!

You forgot Magic.

I'd give you MJ and Charles but no way are pip, malone, robinson, stockton better than prime Kobe. How can you honestly say that? Look at what Pippen was doing at Kobe's current age.
Compare their prime numbers and that's just numbers, compare their skill. Anyone with 2 eyes can see Kobe was a better player. The only one I'd give you past MJ is Barkley. Stockton, Malone and Robinson over Kobe? Come on. Malone and Robinson 18-foot jumpers were 90% of their offensive game.

Malone and Robinson got to the free throw line more than Kobe.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Age isn't comparable either. These guys were coming into the league at 22-23 after 3-4 years of college. Guys at 29-30 now have an extra 4 years of NBA wear on them. Laettner was 22 and hadn't played an NBA game. Durant is 23 and has played 420+ if you take regular+playoff games.

It's not comparable and I wish the media would leave it alone.

But actually it is semi-comparable.. The talent levels in college was quite high because people were staying until they are 21.. Laettner played against LJ, King, Augmon, Anthony in the final four that year...

It's not like they werent playing high level basketball before getting drafted

Emwitus

Prime kobe would be number 2 on that team.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Just curious, if we are discussing PRIME Kobe, why aren't we discussing PRIME Magic, Bird, et al?

Oh right, because your argument falls on its ass.

But actually it is semi-comparable.. The talent levels in college was quite high because people were staying until they are 21.. Laettner played against LJ, King, Augmon, Anthony in the final four that year...

No, pilon makes a good point. You're forgetting that CBB season is like 30-35 games + the tournament. Compare that to an NBA season with potential playoffs AND the higher level of play. He makes a great point.

Blackace

I know exactly what Pip was doing in his prime.. I have seen both play in their primes.. Pip played with the greatest player of all time... And biggest gunner of all time(rightfully so) and still posted great great numbers without having to ask MJ to be traded..

Have you ever watched Malone in his prime? Ever? Or are you basing it on broke Laker Malone?

Robinson before his back injury was a beast in the paint..

I know exactly what Pip was doing in his prime.. I have seen both play in their primes.. Pip played with the greatest player of all time... And biggest gunner of all time(rightfully so) and still posted great great numbers without having to ask MJ to be traded..

Have you ever watched Malone in his prime? Ever? Or are you basing it on broke Laker Malone?

Robinson before his back injury was a beast in the paint..

I've been watching ball my entire life, since i can remember. I watched all of mj's titles and remember the last 3-4 very well. Stayed up to watch every chi/utah game too.

Emwitus

And no... Drexler wasn't even the number 2 and was arguable better because he knew how to pass

LOL. Drexler better than kobe? What alternate reality are we living in now? Kobe carried his team to 3 straight finals in his 30s and won 2. What did drexler do? And kobe knew how to pass during those runs.....he does when it counts and his team ain't crap. Admittedly 2012 kobe might not even make that team. But 08? So would.

pilonv1

But they were playing a maximum of 35-36 games a season, not 82. I've got to think that adds up. 33 year old Kobe isn't the same as 33 year old Jeffrey.

That does raise another question, which way (high level college/early pro) results in faster development.

Blackace

I've been watching ball my entire life, since i can remember. I watched all of mj's titles and remember the last 3-4 very well. Stayed up to watch every chi/utah game.

Then there is no way you can say that Malone's game was based off of 18 ft jumpers.. Dude attacked the hole and kicked anyone who got in the way in the nuts.. Claiming you saw players but totally failing at describing their games is laughable at best..

LOL. Drexler better than kobe? What alternate reality are we leaving in now? Kobe carried his team to 3 straight finals in his 30s and won 2. What did drexler do? And kobe knew how to pass during those runs.....he does when it counts and his team ain't crap.

Glad I'm not alone, I thought i dreaming for a minute there reading some of these posts.

Then there is no way you can say that Malone's game was based off of 18 ft jumpers.. Dude attacked the hole and kicked anyone who got in the way in the nuts.. Claiming you saw players but totally failing at describing their games is laughable at best..

Are you really trying to compare Karl Malone's offensive game to prime Kobe's? Especially when Malone had a HoF point guard setting up HoF caliber pick & rolls every other play and Kobe has had Derek fucking Fisher?

Blackace

LOL. Drexler better than kobe? What alternate reality are we living in now? Kobe carried his team to 3 straight finals in his 30s and won 2. What did drexler do? And kobe knew how to pass during those runs.....he does when it counts and his team ain't crap. Admittedly 2012 kobe might not even make that team. But 08? So would.

I never said he wouldn't make the team... But Drexler in 92 put up a stat line that few SGs have.. He was pretty much a walking triple double..

I like how people are talking about 1992 Drexler and ignoring 1990.

Same result: No chip.

Drexler had to wait for Hakeem to carry him to a chip, 2 years later.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Are you really trying to compare Karl Malone's offensive game to prime Kobe's? Especially when Malone had a HoF point guard setting up HoF caliber pick & rolls every other play and Kobe has had Derek fucking Fisher?
Heavy, why are you making comparisons between Kobe and players like Malone and Robinson who clearly play a very different style of game. Not really following the debate here.

Darkman M

Heavy hasn't even had the biggest troll post in the lst two pages, Drexler at 30 better then a prime Kobe? Drexler and his mother don't even believe that.

Blackace

lol

Blackace

I like how people are talking about 1992 Drexler and ignoring 1990.

Same result: No chip.

Drexler had to wait for Hakeem to carry him to a chip, 2 years later.

Good time Kobe did it with no big men..

Emwitus

I never said he wouldn't make the team... But Drexler in 92 put up a stat line that few SGs have.. He was pretty much a walking triple double..

Well i guess agree I here. Nothing more frustrating than watching kobe this year especially after the all star game. He finally daggered the lakers in the playoffs. Replace kobe with wade and we might have had a deeper run this year.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I can't put Clyde's prime over Kobe's, but I will say that it is a lot closer than a lot of people, mainly Lakers fans, like to believe.
Well i guess agree I here. Nothing more frustrating than watching kobe this year especially after the all star game. He finally daggered the lakers in the playoffs. Replace kobe with wade and we might have had a deeper run this year.
we need a d-league

Heavy, why are you making comparisons between Kobe and players like Malone and Robinson who clearly play a very different style of game. Not really following the debate here.

Making a greatest players of all-time type of list doesn't have to be relegated to position sub-categories. Does it make it easier to compare? Sure, but you can still make an all-encompassing list.

Blackace

Heavy hasn't even had the biggest troll post in the lst two pages, Drexler at 30 better then a prime Kobe? Drexler and his mother don't even believe that.

Drexler was a beast and half.. I know it hurts Lakers but Drexler did more than shoot his team out of games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom