• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Thats not an excuse, thats analysis of why were losing. Even at full health its still true.
Marc and Ricky are two of your starters that are out. We have starters out as well. Howard and Wade being the main ones.

Then you said Sergio is injured. Which injury is this? He looks great out there.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
So with Wayne Ellington being traded to Memphis, only 2 of the 10 first round draft picks the Wolves have had under David Kahn are currently on the roster (Rubio, Williams). Ellington was flipped for Dante Cunningham, chosen 5 spots after Ellington in the 2009 draft. Lazar Hayward was traded to the Thunder for 2 late second round picks. The 16th pick in 2010 was traded as part of a package for Martell Webster, who was waived last week. The 18th pick in the 2012 draft for Chase Budinger.

Woooo

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Marc and Ricky are two of your starters that are out. We have starters out as well. Howard and Wade being the main ones.

Then you said Sergio is injured. Which injury is this? He looks great out there.

Okay, since youre having difficulties with this:

The US is better at any point, in order for Spain to be competitive we need to be at full strength.

Your injured players were not even called up to the team! The only hurt player active in USA is Anthony Davis. The rest are not even on the team.

In our team, lets take out Rubio, hes not in the team. Marc has been our starter for the last 4 friendlies, hes out, thats huge. Navarro is a starter and his foot is injured, hes playing, Rudy has a bad back and is playing and Sergio RODRIGUEZ is out injured as well.

So, if Kobe and LeBron were out there playing injured, then I wouldnt say anything, but Spain isnt gonna do well when their current starting 5 is playing at half strength. Thats not an excuse, because your team is BETTER, but it stops us from being competitive with the best team in the world.

charsace

Lebron, Durant, Melo, Kobe line up can do some real damage in the Olympics for the US. With Westbrook to guard the pgs. Paul and Deron aren't as effective without the foul baiting.

giga

Okay, since youre having difficulties with this:

The US is better at any point, in order for Spain to be competitive we need to be at full strength.

Your injured players were not even called up to the team! The only hurt player active in USA is Anthony Davis. The rest are not even on the team.

In our team, lets take out Rubio, hes not in the team. Marc has been our starter for the last 4 friendlies, hes out, thats huge. Navarro is a starter and his foot is injured, hes playing, Rudy has a bad back and is playing and Sergio RODRIGUEZ is out injured as well.

So, if Kobe and LeBron were out there playing injured, then I wouldnt say anything, but Spain isnt gonna do well when their current starting 5 is playing at half strength. Thats not an excuse, because your team is BETTER, but it stops us from being competitive with the best team in the world.
Look, everyone already realizes that the US has more talent (just like Spain in soccer), but I still don't like that post because we've been running SFs at the 4 and 5. Pau and Ibaka should have BEASTED us at those positions like they did in the first half.

So what I'm saying is that Spain fell apart for one reason or another when they could have won this game regardless of Rubio or Marc. My comment about US injuries is relevant because even if you were at full strength, it wouldn't make as much difference if the US had Howard and even one PF in our roster.

They'll have a close game or 2. I believe in Nigeria. Down 50 at the half, up 1 in the 4th.
These guys do too.

coming-to-america.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Look, everyone already realizes that the US has more talent (just like Spain in soccer), but I still don't like that post because we've been running SFs at the 4 and 5. Pau and Ibaka should have BEASTED us at those positions like they did in the first half.

So what I'm saying is that Spain fell apart for one reason or another when they could have won this game regardless of Rubio or Marc. My comment about US injuries is relevant because even if you were at full strength, it wouldn't make as much difference if the US had Howard and even one PF in our roster.

They beasted for FIBA standards, its just not enough unless you think beasting means 50 points per player.

Idan Ravin, the man behind Carmelo's training

While Carmelo Anthony was in Las Vegas about a week ago, Mike Woodson came out to check on his star player and see how he looked on the court.

Melo told ESPN New York that his head coach was very pleased with what he saw.

"He said I was way ahead of schedule," said Anthony, who was pushed by Woody to get into top shape during the offseason. "I think it was big for him to actually be here and just see the work that myself and Tyson [Chandler] has put into the commitment of USA basketball and the commitment of making ourselves better physically, see where we're at mentally. Just to have him here, it was big for him, it was big for us to see that support."

For Melo, that meant losing 12 pounds (he now roughly weighs 239) and gaining more quickness -- on top of his strength -- thanks to renowned NBA trainer Idan Ravin, who's worked one-on-one with nearly half of Team USA, including Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Kevin Love and Blake Griffin. That doesn't include Dwyane Wade and Dwight Howard, who were left off the roster due to injuries. In addition, he's trained Amare Stoudemire.

About two weeks after the Knicks' season ended, Ravin met Anthony in the Los Angeles area to begin offseason training at an undisclosed gym. Occasionally, Paul, J.R. Smith, his brother, Chris, and Griffin joined the workouts, and they also played pickup games on UCLA's campus. Ravin, who was first introduced to Anthony through word of mouth before his rookie year with the Nuggets in 2003, said that two-week break is very important.

"The end of season is always a little abrupt, emotionally and physically," he said. "Everybody wants to play a little bit longer. So you give them time to get their head back and see what they want for next year."

Ravin said that Anthony was well-prepared for last season -- "1,000 percent he was in great shape" -- but wrist, groin and hamstring injuries forced him to play through pain and miss 11 regular-season games.

"What do you think happens when you get those injuries?" Ravin said. "You can't run, you can't play, you have to sit, it's hard. He gets affected."

Therefore, Ravin's big focus was getting Anthony to feel lighter on his feet for the Olympics and the 2012-13 season.

"It's better on the joints," he said.

Ravin also took into account how Woodson and the Knicks' training staff were pushing Anthony to get into better shape. To reach that goal, Ravin started with Anthony's diet, as he believes that "sometimes food is counter-intuitive." Many of Melo's toughest critics say that he's not diligent and plays overweight, but Ravin downplayed that notion entirely. He said they're missing something.

"You forget that under his jersey, he wears a lot of that compression-type stuff, and he wears a lot of that protection-type sleeves around his stomach, so it makes him look a little bit wider and thicker," he said. "But he's not fat a--, man. He's a world-class athlete, so he's always very detailed with his diet, with his conditioning. Remember, too, the season's long and it wears on you. Sometimes that's where the fatigue sets in."

On the court, Ravin focused on refining and adding moves to Anthony's game. In addition, they worked a lot on athletic development and improving his efficiency offensively and defensively. Ravin called the NBA "not a league of hugs and kisses" and that players "have to maintain that edge, especially when they're on top, because everyone's always gunning for you."

Ravin provided a breakdown of his work with Melo:

"We focused a lot on agility, quickness, stability, power, basketball and conditioning -- integrated stuff," he said. "There's a lot of focus on [the] mental component, beyond the court, such as meditation and reading books. It doesn't happen quickly; it happens over the course of a career. The goal ultimately is self-empowerment and improvement.

"Some people think, 'Oh, you train the athlete for an hour.' No, average trainers do that. To train the world's best athletes, you have to be a presence in their life all year -- even off the court. With each of these athletes, it's thousands of text messages, and time with them, and lunch and travel. You wear many different hats in order to fulfill that purpose -- being a mentor, being an adviser, being a friend and being a trainer."

Ravin said that Anthony will continue to work with him after the Olympics, and he only expects great things from him next season.

"I always found him to be really well-prepared, so when camp starts, I'm 100 percent certain he's always one of those guys that will be in good condition and his game will be solid and he's improved from the year before," he said. "I've never been worried about that."
please get this dude for Raymond Svelton.

pilonv1

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Hornets, Suns, Wolves are nearing agreement on a 3-way deal that would send Robin Lopez to the Hornets in a sign-and-trade, sources tell Y!

This should be fun.

Yeah, and mostly because of increased minutes for crappier players, not because the already good players all played a lot worse. If you look at the top 50 players in the NBA, they averaged to produce the same as the previous year.

KG is declining. You addressed shooting percentage and ignored rebounding. That shouldn't be lockout affected, either.

The moment Bosh came back he went back to being the KG we saw the 1st half of the season. The one people argued was done.

Bosh and KG didn't play that much against each other in Game 6 and Bosh was terrible in Game 6. Your entire argument is based on slightly lower shooting percentages and rebounding rate and one Game 7 in which Bosh when 3/4 from three which never happened before and will never happen again. He was pretty dominant against guys like Dwight Howard or the entire Utah Jazz frontline or Love or Bosh in the second half of the regular season as well, but I guess that Miami Game 7 shows he's declining from the last few years.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WojYahooNBA
Along with Lopez, Suns would send Hakim Warrick to Hornets. Minny would send Wesley Johnson and a 1st round pick to the Suns, sources say.

pilonv1

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Along with Lopez, Suns would send Hakim Warrick to Hornets. Minny would send Wesley Johnson and a 1st round pick to the Suns, sources say.

LOL giri

So the Wolves give up Johnson and a 1st for nothing?

Bosh and KG didn't play that much against each other in Game 6 and Bosh was terrible in Game 6. Your entire argument is based on slightly lower shooting percentages and rebounding rate and one Game 7 in which Bosh when 3/4 from three which never happened before and will never happen again. He was pretty dominant against guys like Dwight Howard or the entire Utah Jazz frontline or Love or Bosh in the second half of the regular season as well, but I guess that Miami Game 7 shows he's declining from the last few years.

slightly lower shooting percentage? How is a 2 percentage point drop slight? That's pretty large for someone who can be pickier and pickier on their shot selection.

And the rebounding rate has slightly dropped? LOL. You're fucking high. It was 15.6%. Other than the year after he hurt his knee, it's never been below 16.4 this century. Considering no great rebounders were added to the team, that is large.

Also:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204010BOS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204040BOS.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204050CHI.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201204070IND.html

4 of his 5 last games against a team with real bigs in the regular season (before teams shut it down). Dat shooting percentages and rebounding (1 good rebounding game).

KG is declining. don't be absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom