• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reave

If they keep D12 for until the trade deadline, Orlando's gonna make a shit ton of trades to please him. Sup, Josh Smith.

They could probably sign Josh Smith outright next summer

Not unless they shed a ton of salary right now.

Dwight, hedo, rich, and baby would equal about $40 million alone (that's assuming hedo is waived).

And and Nelson re-upped for $6 mil. So that's actually $46 million; over $50 mil with roster holds at minimum.

Reality is, with Dwight Re-upped, Orlando is already at or over the cap.

ClovingYNB, you just have to accept that either Bynum or Dwight will be the Lakers starting C for the next 4 seasons. That's just reality.

edit: nelson signed for $8.5 mil per season? LOL. Yeah, they'll probably be over the cap, anyway.

Omega

Banned
ok the rebounds are high I agree but 8.8 rebounds career average is not the numbers of one of the worse forwards in the league. He isn't a great rebounder but he can rebound. Anyway its not like he is a center....

Most of those are inflated numbers due to being pretty much the only big man in Phoenix and it's fast paced system.

I think since he's been in New York he's averaged 7.5 and 8.1 or something like that. With Tyson and Camby, he probably won't be rebounding as much.

Not unless they shed a ton of salary right now.

Dwight, hedo, rich, and baby would equal about $40 million alone (that's assuming hedo is waived).

And and Nelson re-upped for $6 mil. So that's actually $46 million; over $50 mil with roster holds at minimum.

Reality is, with Dwight Re-upped, Orlando is already at or over the cap.

ClovingYNB, you just have to accept that either Bynum or Dwight will be the Lakers starting C for the next 4 seasons. That's just reality.

edit: nelson signed for $8.5 mil per season? LOL. Yeah, they'll probably be over the cap, anyway.

Where's the source for the 8.5 million per? I thought the terms were 3/19

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Most of those are inflated numbers due to being pretty much the only big man in Phoenix and it's fast paced system.

I think since he's been in New York he's averaged 7.5 and 8.1 or something like that. With Tyson and Camby, he probably won't be rebounding as much.

and that's all good with me

Reave

They could probably sign Josh Smith outright next summer

Or a J-Rich/Big Baby for Smith trade, perhaps. Lose two bad contracts for a guy who might keep Howard around.

Probably won't happen, since ATL would be crazy as cat shit to take that deal.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Y 8 / N -1

mj-laughing.gif

Reave

Sam Amico said:
Back to Dwight Howard. Source indicated if meeting with Magic (reportedly taking place now) doesn't go well, Magic likely to trade him to highest bidder -- as opposed to Howard's personal preference. That could put teams such as the Warriors, and others OK with a one-year rental, back in play.
In other news, if Dwight Howard doesn't want to stay, he will be traded.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I dunno. We saw how poorly they played when Rubio was out, last season, and it's going to take him awhile to get back.

I like the Kirilenko signing.

I like what he brings to the team.

He's in his early thirties, and ten million per year is a lot, but it's only for two years.

GaimeGuy's rant yesterday about how a Kirilenko signing ruins the future of the team seems like a big exaggeration.

The wolves need a switch 2/3, not another big.

Locking $10 million per year over the next 2 years in AK47 is stupid, especially since Pekovic is going to command a lot of money next year.

I dunno. We saw how poorly they played when Rubio was out, last season, and it's going to take him awhile to get back.

I like the Kirilenko signing.

I like what he brings to the team.

He's in his early thirties, and ten million per year is a lot, but it's only for two years.

GaimeGuy's rant yesterday about how a Kirilenko signing ruins the future of the team seems like a big exaggeration.
They replaced all of their horrible players with capable to good players, though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AlexKennedyNBA
Meeting between Dwight Howard and Rob Hennigan is over. Howard wouldn't drop his trade demand, per source. Magic's last-ditch effort failed.

Fuck you Dwight! Get out of town you bum.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AlexKennedyNBA
Meeting between Dwight Howard and Rob Hennigan is over. Howard wouldn't drop his trade demand, per source. Magic's last-ditch effort failed.

Fuck you Dwight! Get out of town you bum.

If I were the owner I might just tell him to sit at home the whole season.

Dwight has been piece of shit every step of the way

Okay, I am full of sandwiches since I am in Philly so I skimmed the last 5 pages:
There's a difference between good and hilariously overpaid.

Mikhail has made it clear through actions that money and the tax don't mean shit to him. You can bet he never would've let Lin walk. That's a pretty big deal. Owners that have no issue with tax or overpaying within the system almost always attract people for that fact alone.

Also, again, without Lin, the Knicks miss the playoffs - its just a fucking miracle that the Giants were in the Superbowl and kept Melo's ass out the fire.
Come at me now so I can have what's left of your soul. All that fuckball you watched, can't be anything left.
Why is that impossible or crazy or whatever.

He did 17/7/48% with a fucked up back, out of shape, mourning his dead brother and a broken jumper.

Just having his jumpshot return to normal and his weight return to normal should make it easy to get the 4 points required to raise that scoring average and FG%. Also, 21 and 9 are right around his career averages. It'd be one thing to suggest he's gonna be scoring like 2010/2011 first half Amare...but returning to a normal jumper in a normal season with normal health?
This is the huge thing that teams couldn't adjust to 11 years ago. The simple act of having a normal preseason complete w/ training camp, plus normal rest and off-days is MASSIVE. During the lockout not only could you not practice w/ team guys, you couldn't work out at facilities. The first part of getting Amar'e back into some form of shape is his insane workout regimen he's on now. Getting his ass to Germany/Mexico/etc. then working on his J. I'm not going to say Amare will suddenly become a rebounding demon or become some amazing defensive player; that ship sailed ages ago. But the jumper has been a part of his game, and it should improve over last year. The wildcard is mobility; I'm sure Zombamare will not show up, but how much more mobility will he gain? Somewhere in between 2010 Amar'e and end of 2012 Amare is a safe bet.

jman2050

Just because there may not be a better option today doesn't mean you sign an idiot like Bynum to a long term deal. Sorry.

If they sign him long-term with a view of keeping him the fourth best player on their team, it'll be fine. If they're relying on building around him once the Kobe era finally meets its end then they need to stay the hell away.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If they sign him long-term with a view of keeping him the fourth best player on their team, it'll be fine. If they're relying on building around him once the Kobe era finally meets its end then they need to stay the hell away.

There is no way he is re-signing to anything less than the max and there is no reason he should take less.

Mxrz

Calling myself a fan of the Magic doesn't seem right any more. There's probably some other word for it at this point. But its not like you can just up and pick another team to suddenly be invested in.

If Hennigan can trade Dwight for some young guys/picks, feh. Whatever. Keep him on the bench until March and let him get booed everynight.

At least Dwight didn't change his mind only to change it again this time. Ever since he fucked up and opt-ed in he has flipped flopped until the season ended and was dead set on leaving.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Calling myself a fan of the Magic doesn't seem right any more. There's probably some other word for it at this point. But its not like you can just up and pick another team to suddenly be invested in.

If Hennigan can trade Dwight for some young guys/picks, feh. Whatever. Keep him on the bench until March and let him get booed everynight.

I agree you can't just abandon your team all willy nilly. Gotta stick with them through the good times and the bad. But this entire offseason has been so disheartening, hell we still don't have a head coach.

Magic will trade Dwight eventually. Just have to accept that there is no possible way to get anything near fair value for one of the best players in the league, thats kind of how the system works. Think it will be Houston in the end in a few weeks.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Source w/ direct knowledge of Howard-Orlando meeting: "Dwight remained unchanged in his desire to be traded and has no intention of (Cont)"

Source continued..."Signing another contract or extension in Orlando." Magic GM Rob Hennigan told Howard he's trying to trade him but ...

...but finding no acceptable deal. Magic waiting so long after draft and start of free agency to get serious on Howard deals has hurt offers

Henny done goofed.

Brewer will be the third best player on the Knicks and will immediately go from being mocked by dumb media members as a scrub to being hyped by those same guys as one of the gritty, real tough guys in the NBA and a DPotY candidate.

Henny wasnt even the GM till like 3 days before the draft.

Everything in this Magic offseason has been ridiculous.

I know Hennigan sat down with Dwight at least once before, I wonder how these meetings have gone. To wait this long means the actual offers had to suck or he had some sort of hope dwight would change his mind.

Select quotes:

Hennigan’s pitch to Howard had a heavy focus on the two men developing a relationship that would be valuable to the Magic moving forward. He expressed a sincere interest in getting to know the six-time All-Star and working with him to improve the team. Howard, however, was expecting an outline of how the team planned to improve and get back to a championship-contending level, something he didn’t receive during the hour-long meeting, according to sources.

Howard was staunch in his stance and again made it clear to Hennigan that he has no desire to return to Orlando. He told the 30-year-old general manager that he would “never sign another contract with the Magic,” sources tell RealGM.

During the meeting, Howard informed Hennigan that he would be willing to re-sign with the Lakers at the end of the 12-13 season if the two teams were able to complete a trade. The scenarios Howard was open to during the meeting were: An immediate trade to the Lakers, a January trade to the Brooklyn Nets or a clean break at the end of the 2012-13 season. But he was clear that he would not return to the Magic, choosing to leave as a free agent after the season, sources said.

Hennigan informed Howard that he didn’t have any deals in the works and wasn’t quite sure how to respond to what he was told, according to sources. Hennigan was non-committal on any of the discussed scenarios as the meeting ended.

Hennigan’s noncommittal approach has only frustrated Howard more as it’s believed that several acceptable offers have been presented to the Magic only to be turned down due to a lack of a true intent to trade him, sources said.

There is now a belief that Hennigan and the Magic have half-heartedly entered into trade talks, resulting in frustration among the many teams rumored to have been included in the ongoing negotiations.

Henny sounds like a clown.

Henny - "We gonna bond and shit, gonna go fishing and watch The Goonies together"
Dwight - "How are we gonna turn our shit roster into a contender?"
Henny - "....The Sandlot, we could watch The Sandlot instead."
Dwight - "I want to win a ring, either in LA, Brooklyn or whoever isn't you in 2013"
Henny - "We could make s'mores and we could bring Glen Davis"
Dwight - "..FUCK.THIS.PLACE."
H - "....We could not invite Glen.....where are you going Dwight?"

SamuraiX-

Hennigan’s pitch to Howard had a heavy focus on the two men developing a relationship that would be valuable to the Magic moving forward. He expressed a sincere interest in getting to know the six-time All-Star and working with him to improve the team. Howard, however, was expecting an outline of how the team planned to improve and get back to a championship-contending level, something he didn’t receive during the hour-long meeting, according to sources.

L O FUCKING L

What horrible professionalism. You think Howard gives two fucks about "getting to know one another"?

I don't blame him at all for maintaining his decision.

Henny sounds like a clown.

Henny - "We gonna bond and shit, gonna go fishing and watch The Goonie together"
Dwight - "How are we gonna turn our shit roster into a contender?"
Henny - "....The Sandlot, we could watch The Sandlot instead."
Dwight - "I want to win a ring, either in LA, Brooklyn or whoever isn't you in 2013"
Henny - "We could make s'mores and we could bring Glen Davis"
Dwight - "..FUCK.THIS.PLACE."
H - "....We could not invite Glen.....where are you going Dwight?"

Amazing.

pilonv1

Brewer will be the third best player on the Knicks and will immediately go from being mocked by dumb media members as a scrub to being hyped by those same guys as one of the gritty, real tough guys in the NBA and a DPotY candidate.

I doubt Woodson even plays him much. He'll be 5th guard in the rotation once SHUMPSDAGOD returns.

SamuraiX-

Howard's camp has consistently warned Houston not to trade for him, that he'd march right into Dallas' cap space next summer.

bahahahaaha

this just keeps getting better and better

pilonv1

Howard's camp has consistently warned Houston not to trade for him, that he'd march right into Dallas' cap space next summer.

You can't strike fear into the heard of a Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom