• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point I'd like to know if HOU ever made an actual offer, or were scared away by the agent. b/c of all the teams, while maybe Henny couldn't get everything he wanted, he could have dumped some contracts and gotten some young players

I think there were reports of Hennigan having a HOU offer on his desk, but that could have been Dwight's agent or Henny himself stirring up shit.

If there was an offer, there's little doubt that it was altered or retracted after Dwight said he would leave for Dallas immediately after finishing with Houston.

At some point I'd like to know if HOU ever made an actual offer, or were scared away by the agent. b/c of all the teams, while maybe Henny couldn't get everything he wanted, he could have dumped some contracts and gotten some young players
If Howard is willing to walk on the Magic (leaving money on the table), why would any team not on Dwight's list think he wouldn't be willing to do the same to them?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Except everyone knows Bynum isn't that good, so no; fuck your shitty ideas.

And Dwight said on the first day of free agency that there was only one team he'd sign with long-term. Not seeing how what he said tonight someone changes anything, Morey was operating all along without any assurance of an extension. If Dwight is still on the team, he'll be "injured" and miss most of the season, come back in March or so and drop a couple 20/20s before "re-aggravating" his injury and then walk.

And no other FA will be so stupid as to sign a one-year extension on a team they wanted to leave all along, so you're wrong again there Nelotard.

I'm just pointing out Bynum accomplishes the same shit as letting Dwight walk. Hennigan can decide if he's worth keeping or flip him at the deadline for assets since presumably a team would take a chance on him since he's still young and they'd have a shot at signing him long term. Yeah it's not the best package out there but he is the best player on the table and he's only 2nd to dwight albeit a distand 2nd. Houstons probably the best package since at least Orlando would presumably get one of their rooks, picks and an expiring or Houston taking one of their bad contracts.

Rght now you're saying you'd rather let Dwight walk and then have all that wonderous cap space to overpay middling players just like every other team will again next offseason. And where did I talk about a one year extension wha? You're also expecting Hennigan to get a Melo deal when we know that's not going to happen. You rarely if ever get equal or anywhere close to good value when you're trading away a superstar.

If Houston did have an offer it was probably the best one on the table and it wouldn't require the headache of a third team. If they did have an offer Hennigan should have accepted it before Dwight opened his mouth to say where he wanted to go. He could've gotten more assets out of Houston if Morey still believed he had a shot at staying. Right now with Dwight saying he doesn't want Houston, Morey can take his sweet little time and hope we drop out then lowball the hell out of Hennigan.

Nori Chan

nets and knicks are going to be fun to watch love seeing interstate competitions

cause its fucking boring seeing the clippers fail so much

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Knicks need another SG or SF. Somebody that can fill it up off the bench. The Knicks offense was/is terrible sans Melo with Woodson.

I think they are done. I give it 50/50 odds Chris Smith gets the last roster spot as part of the "wink" "wink" deal that led JR to not even test Free Agency.

squicken

If Howard is willing to walk on the Magic (leaving money on the table), why would any team not on Dwight's list think he wouldn't be willing to do the same to them?

Morey has publicly stated he didn't need any assurance from Howard. He felt (still feels?) that he could convince him to stay once he got here. Maybe Fegan knows the magic words to scare off the Wizard is "Dallas". That's the one place Morey couldn't let him walk to. Well, depending on what he gave up he couldn't afford for him to walk at all without probably losing his job. But Dallas would be salt in the wound

fwiw most locals want to roll the dice with the young players and use the picks and FA money to see if the Detroit model will work. No good choices really

Nelo Ice

Banned
http://www.probasketballnews.com/news/1101/

Meanwhile, the Magic lose a lot if Howard comes to training camp. For starters, it would be a distraction and a horrible influence on those that want to be here, since the environment that Hennigan and coach-to-be Jacque Vaughn want to instill is ingrained in teamwork and no one being greater than the whole. Doesn’t exactly fit with Howard moping about being held hostage by the opt-in he signed.

They can pay him to stay away, but then everyone loses, basketball included. Howard does have a joy for the game, never being one to sit out unless he absolutely has to.

If he returns and plays for the Magic, they won’t be the travesty of a team necessary to compete for a top-five pick in a 2013 draft that has multiple gems. From that standpoint, Orlando can’t risk not getting a shot at Nerlens Noel or Shabazz Muhammad because they opt to make a guy unlikely to be around come March go through the motions for a couple of months.

Orlando won’t lose him for nothing, so they’re going to trade him. That’s certain. Howard won’t re-sign. Houston is taking a harder stance, because it can and should. The Lakers are playing the waiting game, because there’s no other option for them. Bynum is chilling. Has been. Will continue to. Chill, that is.

Morey has publicly stated he didn't need any assurance from Howard. He felt (still feels?) that he could convince him to stay once he got here. Maybe Fegan knows the magic words to scare off the Wizard is "Dallas". That's the one place Morey couldn't let him walk to. Well, depending on what he gave up he couldn't afford for him to walk at all without probably losing his job. But Dallas would be salt in the wound

fwiw most locals want to roll the dice with the young players and use the picks and FA money to see if the Detroit model will work. No good choices really

Well ... Since the deal wasn't made, I'm going to assume it was never as good as what was being reported. Which would mean that even if Morey wanted to roll the dice, he wasn't willing to put much down.

I'm just pointing out Bynum accomplishes the same shit as letting Dwight walk. Hennigan can decide if he's worth keeping or flip him at the deadline for assets since presumably a team would take a chance on him since he's still young and they'd have a shot at signing him long term. Yeah it's not the best package out there but he is the best player on the table and he's only 2nd to dwight albeit a distand 2nd. Houstons probably the best package since at least Orlando would presumably get one of their rooks, picks and an expiring or Houston taking one of their bad contracts.

Rght now you're saying you'd rather let Dwight walk and then have all that wonderous cap space to overpay middling players just like every other team will again next offseason. And where did I talk about a one year extension wha? You're also expecting Hennigan to get a Melo deal when we know that's not going to happen. You rarely if ever get equal or anywhere close to good value when you're trading away a superstar.

If Houston did have an offer it was probably the best one on the table and it wouldn't require the headache of a third team. If they did have an offer Hennigan should have accepted it before Dwight opened his mouth to say where he wanted to go. He could've gotten more assets out of Houston if Morey still believed he had a shot at staying. Right now with Dwight saying he doesn't want Houston, Morey can take his sweet little time and hope we drop out then lowball the hell out of Hennigan.

You only make a trade if you get something in return, trading for garbage like Bynum is getting nothing in return because he needs to be paid and you create a superteam in LA. You keep posting the same dumb shit over and over again.

squicken

Well ... Since the deal wasn't made, I'm going to assume it was never as good as what was being reported. Which would mean that even if Morey wanted to roll the dice, he wasn't willing to put much down.

It's so hard to know. The Lakers seem to have felt Henny was never serious about trading him

Los Angeles can’t get Howard on its own because an Andrew Bynum package potentially puts the Magic in the same position they were in this afternoon. Orlando doesn’t want to sell its vision to any 7-footer that’s not under contract, but also wants no part of Brook Lopez or Kris Humphries, which means the Nets are out, even if Jan. 15 was Aug. 15 or March 15. Orlando and Brooklyn traded medical reports on their centers and talked in circles, but those talks yielded nothing that’s expected to change in the future.

As a result, the Lakers and Magic both need the Rockets, with Howard doing any potential three-way no favors at the moment. At least Bynum has said he’s amenable to calling Houston home.

Is that for certain? Not familiar with that site

You only make a trade if you get something in return, trading for garbage like Bynum is getting nothing in return because he needs to be paid and you create a superteam in LA. You keep posting the same dumb shit over and over again.
Yup...I fail to see why helping LA build a super-er time would be attractive to ORL. You would think that owners would be trying to keep these powerhouses from forming for their own sake in the future...

There is no way Morey is gonna facilitate a superteam in LA unless its dirt cheap on his part. Im sure he is completely okay with keeping the rooks, adding two likely lottery picks next draft, and having 30+ in cap space next summer. In fact, with Dwights "demands" Im willing to bet the ORL proposed trade gets worse and worse.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Yeah but you gotta do what you can to improve the team regardless if it makes another team better. Like Mitch has said he worries first and foremost about improving his team and doesn't wory if the other team gets better. Phoenix did not want to trade Nash to LA and if they didn't want him being on a superteam he would've been in NY or Toronto. And again Bynum is numbskull we all know that but he's an established center and what we've learned this offseason or any offseason is teams will do what it takes and overpay for established bigs with any semblance of talent versus getting a completely unknown in the draft no matter how wrong they may be.

Frankly all you've been saying is you don't want Dwight in LA and that anything is better than that. Yes there could million better offers out there but who the hell is going to do that? Like every report has been saying its down to Houston and LA. Or Cleveland could be involved too. You want a godlike deal that doesn't involve LA and right now Hennigan has his hands tied behind his back with the way he's handled this. It would be a disaster letting him stay for the season and Hennigan has lost any leverage he had left if he wanted to milk Houston for a better package.

Is that for certain? Not familiar with that site
It's from this guy.

https://twitter.com/TonyMejiaNBA
Not sure where he got that from. I was just pointing out what that I agree with how the situation is turning out and he's right it is limbo lol.

Yeah but you gotta do what you can to improve the team regardless if it makes another team better. Like Mitch has said he worries first and foremost about improving his team and doesn't wory if the other team gets better. Phoenix did not want to trade Nash to LA and if they didn't want being a superteam he would've been in NY or Toronto. And again Bynum is numbskull we all know that but he's an established center and what we've learned this offseason or any offseason is teams will do what it takes and overpay for established bigs with any semblance of talent versus getting a completely unknown in the draft no matter how wrong they may be.

Other GMs are dumb and give max contracts to marginal big men so your GM should also be dumb and give a max deal to a marginal big man!

Frankly all you've been saying is you don't want Dwight in LA and that anything is better than that. Yes there could million better offers out there but who the hell is going to do that? Like every report has been saying its down to Houston and LA. Or Cleveland could be involved too. You want a godlike deal that doesn't involve LA and right now Hennigan has his hands tied behind his back with the way he's handled this. It would be a disaster letting him stay for the season and Hennigan has lost any leverage he had left if he wanted to milk Houston for a better package.

I don't want Dwight to go to LA because you have so little to offer that capspace is better. The superteam is just extra. If you still had draft picks, some decent young assets or maybe good Odom then it'd be a different story. You instead have a piece of shit with the worst motor in the league; kindly piss off.

Kobe Bryant has lost 16 lbs. in order to prepare for the Olympics.
"With summer basketball leading directly into the season – and I'm expecting to play until next June – I have to take some load off my knees," Bryant said. "I've got to shave some of this weight." He also added that his Orthokine procedure did "wonders" for him, and called the results "astonishing."

Puddles

Banned
If the Lakers had actually managed to sign Delonte West, and assuming Troy Murphy was re-signed, we could have conceivably seen a lineup of Nash, West, Murphy, McRoberts, Gasol, which would have been hilarious.

"Basketball is a game. Baseball is a religion. Baseball is American." - Jerry Reinsdorf

What do you care what some chump owner thinks.

We got Da God

la_g_buss_b2_300.jpg

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
If the Lakers had actually managed to sign Delonte West, and assuming Troy Murphy was re-signed, we could have conceivably seen a lineup of Nash, West, Murphy, McRoberts, Gasol, which would have been hilarious.

In no world would Troy Murphy or Josh McRoberts be playing the 3

linsivvi

Re-signing Troy Murphy?

Oh god please no!

lololol just read the dwight stories.

At least he finally came out and gave us what he wants. Either LAL now, BKN January, or Dallas next season.

Since BKN is too stupid an option for Orlando, it's LAL now (3 teamer or what not) or they let him walk. Letting him walk would be extra stupid since it will hurt their draft spot too (since Dwight will play and is too good).

I really don't think any team is going to rent him when he will walk to Dallas. What team has the assets to covet him other than Houston and be a contending team? GSW won't get in the mix. Neither will anyone else.

Orlando fucked itself, IMO. This should have been dealt with over a month ago. Now they're kind of stuck.

And for all the Melo comparisons, there is a massive difference. Melo was willing to play in either Brooklyn or New York and created a bidding war since both teams had assets. BKN now has nothing to offer, LAL have Bynum, and Dallas has nothing to offer. There is no bidding war for Dwight because Dwight's choices either don't have assets to trade or Orlando wants no part of them. None of their teams can conceivably up their offer.

Orlando should be working on a 3 teamer of some kind with LAL (granted I'm biased) and just get the best deal they can out of it. The longer this goes on, the worse the offers IMO.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
We kinda need Jamison off the bench since there's no one else that can score otherwise. The starting lineup has enough firepower as it is.

My thinking is score fast then bring Metta to play D..

Jamison will benefit from Nash more than Metta will..

Blackace

Only thing Jamison can do is score. They'd be better off putting Knicks Garbage Can on the floor for defense

That's the point... With Jamison at the 3 he and Nash would have the length of Pau and AB to help them then the 2nd unit would be pretty decent on D with Blake, Glock and Metta

Nelo Ice

Banned
My thinking is score fast then bring Metta to play D..

Jamison will benefit from Nash more than Metta will..

Well we would able to run wild with Jamison but our bench needs the punch more when our starters need some rest. I presume Jamison and Hill will be on the floor often to give Pau/Bynum a break since previously the rotation was whatever big didn't suck that night and either Pau or Bynum. One of our main problems last season was our bench doing next to nothing and putting the burden on our starters to completely carry the load. In particular Pau usually has to play alot since he hasn't had a real backup in years.

Blackace

Jamison at the 3 is a disaster. His numbers at that spot are putrid.

Also, the bench would be incapable of scoring, again.

Jamison is bad at 3 or 4 when he has to force the issue.. with Nash he won't.. He will be pretty horrible with Blake imo..

linsivvi

Bench scoring shouldn't be a problem as long as you have 2 of the 4 (Nash/Kobe/Bynum/Pau) on the floor at the same time, but that would require a coach very smart with rotations, especially when players get in foul trouble.

Unfortunately Mike Brown isn't that coach.

One thing is clear Dwight has to be traded before the start of the season or he'll probably push them out of Noel/Bazz status 2 weeks into the season by winning games.

If I'm the Cavs I probably call the Magic and offer Waiters/Zeller/Pick and hope that's enough to get it done. Waiters is probably a scrub anyway and a core of Irving/TT/Bynum is good enough considering they've been rebuilding for only 2 years.

Dont kno if it was posted but sources tell the NY Daily News that the Brooklyn Nets will open the season in the Barclays Center vs. Knicks Nov. 1. Gonna try n get sum tickets for dat game.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm so fucking sick of Dwight Howard. It's actually causing me to stay out of this thread lately and avoid Clutchfans.

"Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Y! Sources: Dwight Howard tells Magic he wants trade to Los Angeles Lakers in short-term, Brooklyn Nets in longer"

I mean this shit is just hilariously absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom