• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think he's average enough on defense to stop dwights below average offensive game

1225310_o.gif

He's not signing an extension. He'll get a new contract as a free agent and sign an "extension" then.

maybe. He might stand to benefit from a 3 year extension (especially with a 3rd year opt out) and then a 5 year max because of his age whereas Dwight would be dumb to sign a 3 year extension.

Branduil

It's not a corrupt league, it's a symptom of a sport where one person has such a large effect. Same thing would happen in Baseball and Football if you could get one player and guarantee you'd be a contender for 5-10 years. Guys like Bron and Dwight are walking 50-60 win seasons. When they have that much impact, they are going to carry a lot more leverage.

That's why teams should only be allowed to have one max contract at any time, with the next biggest salary being half of that.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Sixers inherit his Bird Rights.

They can pay him the most.

That's what I meant. He gets the most money/years getting a new contract from the Sixers as a free agent versus signing an extension.

maybe. He might stand to benefit from a 3 year extension (especially with a 3rd year opt out) and then a 5 year max because of his age whereas Dwight would be dumb to sign a 3 year extension.
I would think he wants the 5 years since his knees are always going to be a concern.

Ninjimbo

Yeah Basketball is like the one sport where one superstar can automatically make you a contender and building a really good/solid team is almost never good enough. You pretty much need a superstar to win.
Isn't football kind of like that now? How many teams are utter crap because they don't have a good QB?

You lost in 5. I don't know what part of that is almost going down 3-1, but whatever. Dwight isn't really an improvement over Bynum offensively, and certainly not in late-game situations where he'll just get hacked. Nash is the big difference offensively. Dwight is a big difference defensively.

However, OKC doesn't need to beat you guys in the paint, they killed you from the perimeter. With Nash, that advantage only becomes greater. They also have the kind of guys that can get Dwight in foul trouble quickly.

OKC's 3 best players are still looking at mismatches on the perimeter against LA. Do you think Dwight brings some new dimension offensively that Bynum didn't? Does a Dwight-Pau frontcourt have any greater advantage against a Perk-Ibaka frontcourt than Bynum-Pau? The problem was getting them the ball and keeping Kobe from stinking up the show. That's on Nash's shoulders, not Dwight's.

In a game of matchups, there's still the looming problem of how do you stop OKC's Big3. The reason we beat them was because we excel at perimeter defense.

I've been giving Lakers props on this deal. That is an awesome trade, and they got better with it. However, I've said for a while now that they'll still matchup poorly with the Thunder. I don't care one way or another. Neither team matches up well with Miami. It's not like we didn't see Dwight more than anyone else in the league. If LA finds an answer for OKC, they'll still fall to the positionless Heat. We'll still have the best player on the floor, and the best pnr defense. No fucks to give down here. PEACE.

No sir. We faltered down the stretch, with Nash it doesn't happen with a decent offensive system in place it doesn't happen, with a Dwight anchored defense with MWP and Kobe in the backcourt it doesn't happen. So yea, OKC better be shook up since it really didn't have much to do with perimeter D(it did but not as much as you make it sound) since we slowed them down enough to be in a position to win so

That's why teams should only be allowed to have one max contract at any time, with the next biggest salary being half of that.

No that's why the NBA should quit pretending there is parity and that this is a sport where most small market teams can succeed and contract 6 teams. Superteams lead to the best basketball.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
i think he's average enough on defense to stop dwights below average offensive game

In the last game the played against each other Dwight had 33 pts 9 rbs and shot 70% from the floor..

Perkins had 4 pts 11 rbs and 5 fouls...

Looking good

HenryHSH

That's what I meant. He gets the most money/years getting a new contract from the Sixers as a free agent versus signing an extension.

I would think he wants the 5 years since his knees are always going to be a concern.

Nah, 3 now and max after for big money. Larry Coon had a good article up on how Dwight and Andrew could maximize their earnings.

Puddles

Banned
I don't see how anyone could look at Stern canceling a trade under bullshit reasons and watching the 2006 Finals without seeing some trace of corruption.

There's always some corruption. Obviously the 2006 Finals. LeBron's general play since his second or third year in the league, not just on offense, where he travels about 20 times a game, but especially on defense, where he should be fouling out on every possession, but never gets called for any. Those corrupt shot-clock officiators that cost the Lakers a win against Utah two seasons ago.

The point is, some corruption exists, yes, but aside from in 2006 and 2012, it generally doesn't affect which team wins any given series.

linsivvi

I don't see how anyone could look at Stern canceling a trade under bullshit reasons and watching the 2006 Finals without seeing some trace of corruption.

It's not bullshit. I wasn't even mad when he vetoed the trade. Check this thread from last season if you don't believe. The league owns the team so he has every right to do that.

My problem with him is that he should've communicated with the GM on what trade he should accept before it got to that stage, and an even bigger problem is that basically the NBA commissioner went and tell the whole world that he endorses tanking. It's one thing that teams tank to get a lottery pick, but an entirely different matter when the league says it's a good thing to do so.

So, will the Lakers fans finally stop giving Jim Buss grief? Dude just pulled Nash, Dwight, and Jamison this offseason and only gave up Bynum (and Odom last year) to do it. And didn't even give up Ebanks.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So, will the Lakers fans finally stop giving Jim Buss grief? Dude just pulled Nash, Dwight, and Jamison this offseason and only gave up Bynum (and Odom last year) to do it. And didn't even give up Ebanks.

Jim Buss is the GM?

It's not a corrupt league, it's a symptom of a sport where one person has such a large effect. Same thing would happen in Baseball and Football if you could get one player and guarantee you'd be a contender for 5-10 years. Guys like Bron and Dwight are walking 50-60 win seasons. When they have that much impact, they are going to carry a lot more leverage.
Also players in the NBA seem to care more about what city they're playing in than other leagues

Probs because its a wintertime sport

Jim Buss is the GM?

Word was he wasn't willing to sign off on a Bynum trade unless quote "the right deal was available", many took it as he wouldn't part and the latter part of his statement was just PR talk.

Proved lots of people wrong by "letting" Mitch steal Dwight for Bynum. Whatever.

So we don't even get rid of J-Rich?

Fuckin' wow.

Sixers are taking his contract.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Seriously the should have NBA-A & NBA-B:

NBA - A

West:
LA
SA
OKC
DAL

EAST:
BOS
CHI
NY
BK

Top 2 teams from each division play each other playoff set, then winner of each division playoff set play each other in Finals, B league top 2 teams replace the lowest 2 from A

NBA - B

Everyone else!

If you're the last 2 in NBA B league, all your players get directly sent to D League, shuffled and all picks vacated

Jesus

I still have no clue how Orlando got fleeced that hard

Nelo Ice

Banned

I must say the franchise is in good hands though the Brown hiring is still highly questionable. Of course even he can't fuck up the fantastic 4 right?!

linsivvi

Mitch is the GM. Mitch pulled off miracle trades despite of Jim, not because of him.

Nobody in the league gives a shit about Jim.

I must say the franchise is in good hands though the Brown hiring is still highly questionable. Of course even he can't fuck up the fantastic 4 right?!

Kobe asked Brown to run the Princeton offense next season and they had a meeting with Eddie Jordan in Vegas. Word is that they are going to hire him as offensive assistant. Anything that reduces the role of Mike Brown is a positive.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hoping Coach Mike Brown slips, hits his head, goes into a coma and somehow SVG or Phil comes back become coach

Imagine SVG being Dwight's coach again, LAWL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom