• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Dump-offs to Ibaka, Perk and Collison under the rim should work fine. That, or you kick it out to KD or Harden on the perimeter.

And while nobody can really stop Dwight, Perk is the perfect guy to get in his head. Dwight is still mentally weak.

bwahahahahaha

please don't be that guy to take one big game in the playoffs and ride into the season with outrageous hope because of it

Ric Bucher saying the Lakers aren't even better than OKC.

What an odd thing to say.

Edit: Bucher is insane.

" Who is going to take the last shot on the Lakers?"

SMH

benjipwns

Banned

SMH
Ric Bucher said:
This trade has about as much of a chance as the previous 531 [trade rumors]. I know Dwight Howard is a hot topic, and I know that everyone is hot and bothered to get this story over with, but … and I’ll ask you guys … I’m always a little leery when talks are serious, but we don’t know who is going where.

that’s one of the many issues or question marks I have with this report … I’m always a little reluctatant to throw water immediately when it’s someone else’s … but I don’t want it to come off as trying to dismiss someone else’s reporting … I just … when you start to look at this … this is the interesting thing for me about journalism [inaudible] at this point, right now … if it’s sexy, if it sounds good and it’s going to generate, like, people talking, then it seems as if it’s all well and good to go ahead and report it

Omega

Banned
Hollinger tweeted that he's hearing the trade came from above Orlando GM's head.

You have to seriously wonder if owners don't cut deals with Buss where Buss gives them a secret check for 20 million dollars. It's the only explanation for why teams continually make such lousy decisions.

Although even then, take the check and take Bynum too. To let him go to Philly and you have a bunch of junk and 3 worthless lottery protected picks? The Houston deal was so much better if you didn't actually want Bynum.

well he did offer the Oilers like $15 million back in the 80's for Gretzky so it's not a stretch to think this.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Otis offered Dwight for Amare and Chandler on the down low and the Knicks said no. Wish they would have said yes so that this trade wouldn't happen. Only hope is that Diwght is broke or Davis hits his full potential fast.

I'm cool with it, they media says it was only Amare and chandler but knowing the knicks it would of included 3 first round picks....

Anyhow lets not even go on the knick bashing spree and focus on the tears of Magic and Rocket fans. I think it is underplayed how the Rockets are screwed by this as well.

DY_nasty

First post I read after waking up. I think I'm going back to sleep.

DY how do you live this life? Hedo as the #1 option? I can't deal with this.

Don't look at me. My team turned Stephen Jackson into 2 1st round picks and Ben Gordon's soontobeexpiring contract, turned Zombie Wallace into several picks, didn't sign anyone to a hilarious contracts in the meantime, and managed to keep attendance at #15 in the league until the tank could no longer be hidden from the public.

You guys threw SVG under the bus, turned down dozens of deals better than this one, traded to get Hedo back, re-signed Jameer, let Ryan walk for cornchips, and labeled yourselves as the biggest pushover franchise in the league.

We ain't homies lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
WINNER: Mitch Kupchak and the Buss family It's a franchise that keeps making big moves — or, NOT making big moves — at the right time over and over again. Picking Kobe over Shaq in 2004. Keeping Kobe in 2007 when just about everyone else would have panic-traded him. Stealing Gasol from Memphis in 2008. Making a 2011 deal for Chris Paul that, in retrospect, would have been a hijacking if it hadn't been vetoed. Not panicking after the CP3 trade fell through and keeping Bynum and Gasol over blowing things up. And now, waiting out this Howard saga until they got exactly the trade they wanted.
And that's how you run a team!

Take it from a bitter 2012 Red Sox fan — just because you're a big-market team that can outspend everyone doesn't mean things can't get horribly screwed up. The Lakers nailed six franchise-altering moves over the past eight years, and that's not including last month's Nash trade, when they somehow convinced a Pacific Division rival that absolutely hates them to hand over their most iconic player for some meaningless picks and cap space. What an amazing run. You have to hand it to the Los Angeles Lakers.

(By the way, I think I'm just going to stay in London. I don't want to come home. As for the rest of the mega-mailbag … we'll continue it on Monday.)

And that's how you run a team!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Don't look at me. My team turned Stephen Jackson into 2 1st round picks and Ben Gordon's soontobeexpiring contract, turned Zombie Wallace into several picks, didn't sign anyone to a hilarious contracts in the meantime, and managed to keep attendance at #15 in the league until the tank could no longer be hidden from the public.

You guys threw SVG under the bus, turned down dozens of deals better than this one, traded to get Hedo back, re-signed Jameer, let Ryan walk for cornchips, and labeled yourselves as the biggest pushover franchise in the league.

We ain't homies lol

Damn Bobcat fans is saying Orlando sucks..... Damn

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

We ain't homies lol

... fuck :(

The only consolation I can take out of all is this is that we'll get the #1 pick in next years draft.

benjipwns

Banned
This trade is bullshit. Kobe, Nash, Dwight and Pau? you would rather face that than Dwight Carmelo? Really? Dwight is the type of big man that will thrive playing with Nash.
If I'm the Orlando owner I don't want any deal that brings me $40+ million a year for three years with one player who has zero insurance on his contract.

Doesn't mean I want Al Harrington and Afflalo's contracts either, but I'm the vindictive type that would let Dwight just try and sign elsewhere.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Per Amick
The Dwight Howard deal is still on schedule, source says, with trade call expected this afternoon. More details on the picks: lottery-protected from the Sixers in 2015, the lower of Denver's two first-rounders in 2014, the Lakers' 2017 first-rounder, and two second-rounders. Also, Orlando's Earl Clark and Chris Duhon also go to the Lakers in the deal. Story being updated now at SI.com.

That first round value!

KingGondo

Banned
bwahahahahaha

please don't be that guy to take one big game in the playoffs and ride into the season with outrageous hope because of it
It's outrageous for me to think that a Thunder-Lakers WCF won't be strongly-contested?

One team has aging superstars, no bench and the best C in the league.

The other has the second-best player (and best, most efficient scorer), a top-5 PG, the sixth man of the year, and a much more complete roster than LA (and a solid frontline too). Plus they're far younger and more athletic, and should improve substantially again through player development alone.

I'm not saying LA can't beat OKC, but it's ridiculous for people to be handing the Lakers a free pass to the Finals.

DY_nasty

This trade is bullshit. Kobe, Nash, Dwight and Pau? you would rather face that than Dwight Carmelo? Really? Dwight is the type of big man that will thrive playing with Nash.

This too.

No more Dwight getting ignored as he seals off defenders 3 times in one possession. If he's even 75% when he gets back, shit gon be cray.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm not saying LA can't beat OKC, but it's ridiculous for people to be handing the Lakers a free pass to the Finals.
I'm fine with it, the last time the Lakers assembled an aging BIG FOUR things seemed to work out for America. The Perfect Team was assembled and countered them in glorious fashion.

I've been laughing all morning.

Incredible salt from all sides save the peeps in So. Cal.
Someone should reshop that Fantastic Four Nets mockup and actually put some stars there.

Still insane that Mitch actually pulled off Taken 2.

"What are you going to do?"
"What I do best."

The other has the second-best player (and best, most efficient scorer), a top-5 PG, the sixth man of the year, and a much more complete roster than LA (and a solid frontline too). Plus they're far younger and more athletic, and should improve substantially again through player development alone.

In the playoffs, a lot of that slows down. A lot of the reasons why you guys reamed us last year are gone, and you still have YNot. If everything works out and we meet, I love our chances.

This too.

No more Dwight getting ignored as he seals off defenders 3 times in one possession. If he's even 75% when he gets back, shit gon be cray.

I wonder if it's going to be weird for him to get the rock so fast. Like, no need to wave, I already see you.
And Nash will tell Kobe "No, you don't need the rock for a bit, he's 2 feet away from the hoop and I can run a PNR with Pau, rest up for a few minutes while we get this lead to 14 and then you can push it to 22."

Nelo Ice

Banned
I've been laughing all morning.

Incredible salt from all sides save the peeps in So. Cal.
Someone should reshop that Fantastic Four Nets mockup and actually put some stars there.

Still insane that Mitch actually pulled off Taken 2.

"What are you going to do?"
"What I do best."

Ny83n.jpg

Westbrook and Harden will destroy Nash and Kobe off the dribble so OKC can definitely beat the Lakers in a series if both guys are hot, but I think the Lakers just look like a better team, they have arguably the best offensive player in the NBA and the best defensive player in the NBA and Kobe and Pau.

DY_nasty

It's outrageous for me to think that a Thunder-Lakers WCF won't be strongly-contested?

One team has aging superstars, no bench and the best C in the league.

I'm not saying that OKC is gonna get swept or anything.

I just think that pointing out Ibaka, Collison, and Perkins as the reason for that, or even Westbrook (unless he found the cure for stupidity), is just comical.

OKC beating LA last year meant a lot because of OKC's previous defeat to them - but lets be real, LA was a 2nd round team at best all year long. Nash and Dwight both add dimensions to that team that OKC has never once had to deal with.

I just think that pointing out Ibaka, Collison, and Perkins as the reason for that, or even Westbrook (unless he found the cure for stupidity), is just comical.

OKC beating LA last year meant a lot because of OKC's previous defeat to them - but lets be real, LA was a 2nd round team at best all year long. Nash and Dwight both add dimensions to that team that OKC has never once had to deal with.

DY bringing the truth. Lakers have a better chance at beating OKC than the other way around. No ifs ands or buts about it. Only a stan or a basketball novice would think otherwise. I'd put odds at about 60/40 in the Lakers favor, and that's before ever seeing them hit the court.

LuchaShaq

Banned

SMH

Unfortunately for Lakers fans Kobe will jack an off balance long 2 with a 30ish% chance to go in while Dwight and Nash stand there doing nothing.

Nelo Ice

Banned
NetsDaily.com ‏@NetsDaily
Mark Heisler, Hall of Fame Laker writer, estimates with new cable deal, LAL will make a profit of $150-170M this year. No team even close.

And
Larry Coon ‏@LarryCoon
Trade call scheduled for an hour from now. Was told it MIGHT happen sooner. RT @HossBoss76: Has the trade been finalized yet?

CAN'T WAIT!

DY_nasty

Unfortunately for Lakers fans Kobe will jack an off balance long 2 with a 30ish% chance to go in while Dwight and Nash stand there doing nothing.

You make it sound like Kobe's never deferred before.... shit, the main reason why Kobe jacked up those shots was because of McGrady Syndrome - a bad shot from him had a better chance of going in than anything else some games. He just got into the habit of "fuck yal" 20 games into the season, and I really don't blame him either. Especially with Mike Brown in the huddle too.
Perkins has owned Dwight in the past. He'll own him again!

YNB will eat Nash alive in the playoffs too.

And Nash will work his ass on offense too...

Its not like YNB will be playing Fisher - a guy who was worthless on both ends of the ball, letting YNB save all of his energy for styling.

charsace

Westbrook and Harden will destroy Nash and Kobe off the dribble so OKC can definitely beat the Lakers in a series if both guys are hot, but I think the Lakers just look like a better team, they have arguably the best offensive player in the NBA and the best defensive player in the NBA and Kobe and Pau.

I said that OKC were still the best team when the Lakers got Nash because OKC would still destroy them on the perimeter. But with Dwight protecting the rim and being a target for Nash the Lakers will fuck shit up.

Via Larry Coon:

Lakers can take back 23,063,080 for Bynum/Eyenga, Dwight/Duhon add up to 23,036,360

Earl Clark fits into Walton's trade exception.

Awwwwww yea, you my boy Luke, LUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKEEEEEEE

LA always manages to pull off the video game style trades man. This lineup kind of reminds me of the Payton, Mamba, Malone, Diesel move. 'Cept Dwight is a young man.

ToxicAdam

Honestly, I agree with Bucher. All this move does is insure a spot in the WCF. Obviously the Lakers had to do it, but I don't think it's a slam dunk that many seem to think.

Guessing that the best and worst regular season teams would go:

Spurs: 65-17
Lakers: 62-20
Thunder: 62-20
Heat: 57-25
Grizzlies: 54-28

Bobcats: 16-66
Magic: 18-64
Cavaliers: 18-64
Rockets: 20-62
Raptors: 21-61

I think the fight for Zeller/Shabazz/Noel/Austin/Adams/whoever will be intense.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Via Larry Coon:

Lakers can take back 23,063,080 for Bynum/Eyenga, Dwight/Duhon add up to 23,036,360

Earl Clark fits into Walton's trade exception.

Awwwwww yea, you my boy Luke, LUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKEEEEEEE

It's like Mitch knows all these minor trades will end up paying off big time in the future. And thank you Luuuuuuuukeeeee.

KingGondo

Banned

I never said Ibaka and Perkins would be the reason OKC would beat the Lakers. They're a piece of the puzzle, and the team showed great improvement in interior ball movement throughout last season. That would be a key to beating LA.

Whoever has HCA probably wins the series.

Also, I think people are underestimating how much OKC can still improve based on the fact that they're so young. KD, Harden, and YNB aren't even entering their primes yet.

benjipwns

Banned
But does that accomplish anything? They should take it easy, heal up and tank it.
Problem is they have to rebuild the team from scratch when they can try one last playoff run when Rose comes back, then amnesty Boozer, dump Deng, etc. in the coming years to make cap space and truly build around Rose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom