• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guessing that the best and worst regular season teams would go:

Spurs: 65-17
Lakers: 62-20
Thunder: 62-20
Heat: 57-25
Grizzlies: 54-28

Bobcats: 16-66
Magic: 18-64
Cavaliers: 18-64
Rockets: 20-62
Raptors: 21-61

I think the fight for Zeller/Shabazz/Noel/Austin/Adams/whoever will be intense.
Lakers will win 67.

squicken

Say this for Thunder fans. It's fun to be the good guys and underdogs, which they will be in the Heat-OKC-LAL rivalry.

Simmons completely undermines his "winner" award for Nuggets GM. He just created another team he can't beat. If he stays out of it, OKC is the lone WC powerhouse in 2 years. He just doubled his degree of difficulty w/o getting enough back to overcome it. Nuggets are losers, not b/c they didn't make their team better, but b/c they just built a concrete ceiling on their playoff potential

We lost two of the games to OKC because Kobe went into hero mode chucking up shots and giving the game away. It wasn't like OKC was some amazing offensive juggernaut that we couldn't contain. We just got better defensively too. They'll funnel everyone from the perimeter to the paint where Dwight will be waiting instead of a who know's who's going to show up Bynum.

I think the X factor here is Kobe honestly. He's probably going to have to make the biggest adjustment out of all the players on the team.

It will be interesting to see how the end of the games are ran. If the ball is in Nash's hands, I love our chances. If Kobe still demands to be a hero and doesn't get a long with Dwight then it's going to be Kobe, Shaq, Malone and the Glove all over again.

EDIT: it's not going to be our bench that hills us. Resigning Hill and adding Jamison at least make our bench average instead of atrocious.

Perkins has owned Dwight in the past. He'll own him again!

YNB will eat Nash alive in the playoffs too.

For Perkins, someone mentioned he shot 33/9 with 70% fg last time?

And for the YNB vs Nash, it is only an athletic advantage. Matters less in the playoffs.
Although I'm going to enjoy watching Nash show him how to actually be a PG from the opposite side.

How many times will you see d12/Pau/Kobe get the rock immediately after being open vs Durant holding his hand up for a wide open three while YNB dribble-drives into 3 guys, leaps in the air and either turnover or attempts to dump it down low, followed by Durant just going *sigh* like you do at your baby bro because you know that he doesn't know any better?

I think the X factor here is Kobe honestly. He's probably going to have to make the biggest adjustment out of all the players on the team.

It will be interesting to see how the end of the games are ran.

For crunch-time? They'll probably share duties. An end game scenario where either Kobe, Nash, or Dwight lobs are available is basically a 2K cheat code.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I never said Ibaka and Perkins would be the reason OKC would beat the Lakers. They're a piece of the puzzle, and the team showed great improvement in interior ball movement throughout last season. That would be a key to beating LA.

Whoever has HCA probably wins the series.

Also, I think people are underestimating how much OKC can still improve based on the fact that they're so young. KD, Harden, and YNB aren't even entering their primes yet.

What are you talking about?

Both the Heat and the Spurs literally ignored Ibaka completely unless he was 7ft from the rim.

And Scotty Brooks is actively encouraging Westbrook to stay dumb, Harden to stay free on defense, and no one has told KD to get his 6'10 ass in the post yet. Yal just got ran off the court by a team that relies on Mario Chalmers to hit clutch shots. Come on, man.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Guessing that the best and worst regular season teams would go:

Spurs: 65-17
Lakers: 62-20
Thunder: 62-20
Heat: 57-25
Grizzlies: 54-28

Bobcats: 16-66
Magic: 18-64
Cavaliers: 18-64
Rockets: 20-62
Raptors: 21-61

I think the fight for Zeller/Shabazz/Noel/Austin/Adams/whoever will be intense.

Really don't see the Rockets being that bad, they were a .500 team last year. I think they'll be around there this year as well.

Truphenom

This is going to be a great season. Knicks-Nets in the 1st round, Lakers-Heat in the finals, newest edition of Passbroke, and watching Orlando get the worst record while still giving up the #1 pick to the Bobcats. Too many laughs and gifs will be created.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Problem is they have to rebuild the team from scratch when they can try one last playoff run when Rose comes back, then amnesty Boozer, dump Deng, etc. in the coming years to make cap space and truly build around Rose.

Or they can take it easy get a decent player to help speed up that rebuild. This year is a draft full of SG's why not try to get a really good one. If they get in the late lottery its a good tank.

Westbrook has a habit of playing idiotically on both ends of the floor - gambling and overplaying balls, recklessly fouling, jacking up ridiculous shots - when he gets outplayed on offense. His decision-making was beyond impaired during the first two games of the Spurs series when he was forced to run through boundless screens. Nash dissecting Westbrook and the OKC defense will infuriate him to no end, begetting even more unnecessary, boorish mistakes.

OKC will lose in 5 to LA. It's lunacy to suggest otherwise.

DY_nasty

This is going to be a great season. Knicks-Nets in the 1st round, Lakers-Heat in the finals, newest edition of Passbroke, and watching Orlando get the worst record while still giving up the #1 pick to the Bobcats. Too many laughs and gifs will be created.
Shit, if George Karl can reign in McGee (and he did tremendous work on him with the little time they had together last season) then Denver might give OKC a run for its money too.

Memphis gonna get smacked though lol

It's outrageous for me to think that a Thunder-Lakers WCF won't be strongly-contested?

One team has aging superstars, no bench and the best C in the league.

The other has the second-best player (and best, most efficient scorer), a top-5 PG, the sixth man of the year, and a much more complete roster than LA (and a solid frontline too). Plus they're far younger and more athletic, and should improve substantially again through player development alone.

I'm not saying LA can't beat OKC, but it's ridiculous for people to be handing the Lakers a free pass to the Finals.

Just be humble about this and accept the fact that your team is officially the underdog.

You won 3 games by like a point with two huge melt downs by the Lakers.

And we're going to pretend that adding Steve Nash and Dwight Howard wouldn't make the Lakers the favorites?

Cmon son

Fox318

2013 NBA Draft:

1. Timberwolves
2. Magic
3. Bobcats

actual numbers and Walton coming to the rescue again.

Larry Coon ‏@LarryCoon
Looks like Luke Walton comes to the rescue again. Clark fits in Walton trade exception. Bynum + Eyenga (barely) enough for DH + Duhon.

Larry Coon ‏@LarryCoon
Lakers can take back $23,063,080 for Bynum + Eyenga. Dwight & Duhon add up to $23,036,360.

DY_nasty

Westbrook has a habit of playing idiotically on both ends of the floor - gambling and overplaying balls, recklessly fouling, jacking up ridiculous shots - when he gets outplayed on offense. His decision-making was beyond impaired during the first two games of the Spurs series when he was forced to run through boundless screens. Nash dissecting Westbrook and the OKC defense will infuriate him to no end, begetting even more unnecessary, boorish mistakes.

OKC will lose in 5 to LA. It's lunacy to suggest otherwise.

OKC didn't have Maynor last year. He's not some big name player or anything like that, but he has a huge impact on that team simply because he gets the ball out of Westbrook's hands and allows Harden to play the SG like God intended. With him coming off the bench instead of Fisher, OKC improves dramatically.
2013 NBA Draft:

1. Timberwolves
2. Magic
3. Bobcats

Does a zombie apocalypse start in Minnesota next year or something?

For crunch-time? They'll probably share duties. An end game scenario where either Kobe, Nash, or Dwight lobs are available is basically a 2K cheat code.

That's what I'm' hoping for. Though even as a Kobe fan, I will openly admit he has a habbit of going into hero mode. We've lived and died by Kobe for a long, long time now. The biggest transition any player will have to make next year is Kobe. It will be intestesting to see if he's willing to share duties or now. I have hope though. If he's willing to share it with anyone, it's Nash.

KingGondo

Banned
What are you talking about?

Both the Heat and the Spurs literally ignored Ibaka completely unless he was 7ft from the rim.

And Scotty Brooks is actively encouraging Westbrook to stay dumb, Harden to stay free on defense, and no one has told KD to get his 6'10 ass in the post yet. Yal just got ran off the court by a team that relies on Mario Chalmers to hit clutch shots. Come on, man.
Did I ever claim I'm proud of how the team played against Miami?

All I said is that Perkins and Ibaka are valuable pieces and should help us against the Lakers. Perk provides at least some resistance to Dwight, while Ibaka is already a beast and still improving on both ends.

Edit: and as you mentioned, Maynor's return makes our bench go from mediocre to fantastic.

Truphenom

Shit, if George Karl can reign in McGee (and he did tremendous work on him with the little time they had together last season) then Denver might give OKC a run for its money too.

Memphis gonna get smacked though lol

Man if Karl can stabilize that brain of his to some of that playoff form we saw, he would be a god. He had good stretches where he wasn't as dumb as Ibaka.

benjipwns

Banned
Or they can take it easy get a decent player to help speed up that rebuild. This year is a draft full of SG's why not try to get a really good one. If they get in the late lottery its a good tank.
Yeah, a nice backup SG when they have two and a half on the roster is really going to help them contend.

Just punt the last year the luxury tax is favorable, see if Rose can come back and put you over, then you can gut the team. Rose is humble enough to not raise a fuss.

OKC didn't have Maynor last year. He's not some big name player or anything like that, but he has a huge impact on that team simply because he gets the ball out of Westbrook's hands and allows Harden to play the SG like God intended. With him coming off the bench instead of Fisher, OKC improves dramatically.

Does a zombie apocalypse start in Minnesota next year or something?

Yea, Maynor's return can't be understated either.

Celts weren't in the finals in 2010, they lost to LA in 08/09 and The Heat didn't have Bron/Bosh til 2010/2011.

Yea, you're right and I meant Bron's Cavs.

All I said is that Perkins and Ibaka are valuable pieces and should help us against the Lakers. Perk provides at least some resistance to Dwight, while Ibaka is already a beast and still improving on both ends.

Edit: and as you mentioned, Maynor's return makes our bench go from mediocre to fantastic.

It's nice that you guys have a bench you consider mediocre when they give you way more than 27 pts a game ...

DY_nasty

I only brought up Miami because you kept going on saying that their interior passing improved when its simply not the case - every good team that OKC faced ignored Ibaka completely. Like they should.

Ibaka is the most overrated defensive player in the league too. For every block he gets, he gives up two shot opportunities and a rebound. He's even worse than Keon Clark in that regard. Shit, Ibaka was getting pants'd by everyone with a pump fake last year.

fuck, I think all of us could run an organization better than most of the gms currently in the NBA. I still can't wrap my head around this trade....Fuck

McGee was just as dumb for the Nuggets as he was for the Wiz.

Of course he was due for a few good playoff games. All dude had to do was focus for like 5 games and he was going to get 10mil + a year for it.

With money in his pockets there are no fucks left to give.

KingGondo

Banned
I only brought up Miami because you kept going on saying that their interior passing improved when its simply not the case - every good team that OKC faced ignored Ibaka completely. Like they should.

Ibaka is the most overrated defensive player in the league too. For every block he gets, he gives up two shot opportunities and a rebound. He's even worse than Keon Clark in that regard. Shit, Ibaka was getting pants'd by everyone with a pump fake last year.
And he's still only 22 and has a great work ethic. To suggest that he won't improve dramatically is foolish.

DY_nasty

Of course he was due for a few good playoff games. All dude had to do was focus for like 5 games and he was going to get 10mil + a year for it.

This is also a possibility...

George Karl is the guy to get it done though. I also think that Faried's 2nd year should be interesting as well. If dude learns how to play some defense, then yamotherfuckinghoo.

McGee gave fucks before?

DY_nasty

And he's still only 22 and has a great work ethic. To suggest that he won't improve dramatically is foolish.
All you have is next year.

Is OKC really going to keep both and dole out 100 mil between those 4 guys when its already clear that Ibaka is the worst of all of them? When he's 28, sure - but that's far into the future and he didn't show that much of an improvement considering he's one of the most ignored and uncontested players in the league last year.

Cipherr

As one of like.... the only people in the world who likes the whole 'super team' thing. This shit is exciting. Bring on the LAL OKC MIA NYK NETS insanity man. Shits gonna be so fucking good.

DY_nasty

I don't see how the Thunder ever make it back to the finals. Feels they're going to end up like the '10 Magic.

They probably should've fired Brooks.

Shit, they didn't even have to replace him with Phil... I honestly think Pringles would be a better fit than Brooks.

seriously, if the lakers don't win the finals this year i'm gonna be so surprised.

Why? I am not expecting them to win it.

The real REAL prize of this whole situation has been the Lakers getting rid of Andrew Bynum. THAT is the real gift to LakersNation. That we were able to get Dwight in addition is just the cherry on top.

KingGondo

Banned
All you have is next year.

Is OKC really going to keep both and dole out 100 mil between those 4 guys when its already clear that Ibaka is the worst of all of them? When he's 28, sure - but that's far into the future and he didn't show that much of an improvement considering he's one of the most ignored and uncontested players in the league last year.
I trust in Presti to make the right moves. Heck, it might be best to trade Ibaka for perimeter shooting and try to beat LA from the outside in.

I'll definitely admit that the Dwight trade put OKC in a tough spot, because using our amnesty on Perkins (a widely-discussed solution to our cap issues) isn't very realistic now unless Cole Aldrich turns out not to suck (and all indications are that he does).

The fight for the 1-seed is going to be fierce this year. Whoever gets it gets to avoid the other two top seeds until the WCF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom