• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

*sigh*

okay, lets compare guys who have different roles and entirely different situations that influence the game in completely different ways with per36 and act like that's the end of the discussion.

:|

It's head-to-head comparison. When they're both on the court, Westbrook gets to the paint with ease and actually averages more assists than his average, while shooting right around his regular average.

He averages 11 assists when YNB is on the floor and that's without Kobe, Dwight and Pau to pass to.

That's below his average. When they're on the floor together, Nash averaged fewer points and assists than normal. He's less productive. Russ does a better job on Nash than Nash does on Russ.

OKC's being discounted for no good reason. Nash was the biggest difference-maker for the Lakers, as Dwight is only marginally better offensively than Bynum, whereas Nash is leagues better than Blake. Yet, no one was writing OKC off after the Nash signing. Only now that Dwight is on board, suddenly it's curtains for OKC. That's just kind of crazy. And while Nash is the biggest difference-maker, he didn't do that well against Westbrook last season. I think the matchups are being overlooked. PEACE.

Dragic/Lowry, Scola, Budinger

turns into:

Lin, Asik, Donuts and other young promising players. I believe in Lin though, I really don't think this years team is all that much worse than last years. Maybe a drop off, but I don't see bottom 5 in the league bad.

Rookies lose games, especially rookies like Motiejunas and White who don't defend or score efficiently. Lin has been a nonfactor generally.

Godslay

Banned
Say this for Thunder fans. It's fun to be the good guys and underdogs, which they will be in the Heat-OKC-LAL rivalry.

Simmons completely undermines his "winner" award for Nuggets GM. He just created another team he can't beat. If he stays out of it, OKC is the lone WC powerhouse in 2 years. He just doubled his degree of difficulty w/o getting enough back to overcome it. Nuggets are losers, not b/c they didn't make their team better, but b/c they just built a concrete ceiling on their playoff potential

What's funny is Darkside laughed at me for saying just this thing prior to anyone else. You don't help bring the best center to a decent team that beat you in the playoffs last year. Even for an upgrade. Salary dump is good, AI is a nice addition, but it's still a bad move for Denver in the grand scheme of things imo.

Omega

Banned
Stop the silliness. The Lakers are the favorite to win it all. Anything else would be an upset.

they might be the favorites but that's just people being in the moment.

no one is stopping LeBron. not Kobe, not MWP, not Dwight. only chance the Miami Cavs lose is if Kobe finds the fountain of youth over in London.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What's funny is Darkside laughed at me for saying just this thing prior to anyone else. You don't help bring the best center to a decent team that beat you in the playoffs last year. Even for an upgrade. Salary dump is good, AI is a nice addition, but it's still a bad move for Denver in the grand scheme of things imo.

The Nuggets shed 40 million dollars in guaranteed money AND made their team much better in the process. They won HUGE with this deal. They can't worry about what the Lakers are doing.

Say this deal doesn't happen as proposed. The Nuggets are worse off and Dwight still probably ends up on the Lakers. How is that good for Denver?

Nelo Ice

Banned
The Nuggets shed 40 million dollars in guaranteed money AND made their team much better in the process. They won HUGE with this deal. They can't worry about what the Lakers are doing.

Yep like Mitch has said he doesn't worry about other teams when making trades just if it makes his team better. That should be the main concern when doing any trade.

Pimpwerx

LMAO so a few bad games in London makes Harden better than Kobe? Delusional

You mean every game has been bad for him this year on Team USA. Even the games where he doesn't shit the bed on offense, he's been terrible on defense. You could make a feature-length highlight reel of nothing but foreign players blowing by Kobe this year. Like I said, it depends on what Kobe shows up, but it's actually delusional to ignore the present and expect it will get better with more time on the clock. PEACE.

they might be the favorites but that's just people being in the moment.

no one is stopping LeBron. not Kobe, not MWP, not Dwight. only chance the Miami Cavs lose is if Kobe finds the fountain of youth over in London.

Dwight will be huge against Bron/Wade since their jumpshots are still streaky as fuck and they won't get as many gimmes at the rim. Come on son.

But the Nuggets don't have the superstar talent to contend. They weren't going to ever beat OKC, they don't have someone like Anthony Davis, they aren't in LA, and they don't have the Spurs' scouts so they weren't going to contend regardless.

Cloudy

Banned
You mean every game has been bad for him this year on Team USA. Even the games where he doesn't shit the bed on offense, he's been terrible on defense. You could make a feature-length highlight reel of nothing but foreign players blowing by Kobe this year. Like I said, it depends on what Kobe shows up, but it's actually delusional to ignore the present and expect it will get better with more time on the clock. PEACE.

Don't mistake trying to avoid fouls for inability to play defense. He's lost a step (or three lol) but Kobe's still a force.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I just have to say that the Samsung Galaxy S III ad with Melo is so unintentionally funny. Everyone is running passing the virtual torch, and when it gets handed off to Melo, he looks at it, laughs, and hands it to some guy on a bike. I chuckle everytime I see it.

So Dwight to the Lakers, huh?

Omega

Banned
Dwight will be huge against Bron/Wade since their jumpshots are still streaky as fuck and they won't get as many gimmes at the rim. Come on son.

before this season i would have agreed with you.

after this postseason where Bron pretty much carried his team to a championship (Bosh missed half of it and Wade wasn't even close to himself) and how he's saved the US from it's stupidity over in London, I'm not going to doubt him.

he refuses to lose and I don't see anyone or any team stopping him.

Pimpwerx

Heat vs Lakers

Kobe got Wade
MWP got LBJ
Pau got Bosh

Who contains Nash and Dwight? Chalmers and Anthony?

Fun question. How many minutes did Joel get in the Finals?

2 minutes IIRC...in the Game5 massacre. That was the only non-Bosh center that played the entire series.

Kobe can't stay in front of a foreign guard, much less a healthy Wade. Metta has been a non-factor defending Lebron for ages. Who guards Ray? Who guards Bosh? Who guards Battier? Ask OKC how well you can defend that lineup with two bigs. Ibaka, for all his mobility, couldn't do anything about Battier shooting 3s. Bosh drew Perk out to the 3pt line as well, and when Perk didn't follow, made him pay. Unlike other teams, we can field 5 guys that can play both defense and offense.

We're not gonna throw a stiff into the rotation just to play into LA's hands. Why allow Dwight the option of camping in the lane? Rather, it will be LA that has to figure out how to defend out lineup of scorers, because we already used to put Bosh on Dwight in pressure situations. And if not him, we have Haslem who can still hit the midrange. Lebron can guard Pau as well, and since Metta is a bum, we're gonna be able to double Dwight more.

Here's a funny idea. It will actually be easier to guard Dwight on the Lakers than on the Magic, because you're not gonna get punished by 4 3pt shooters camping on the perimeter. Double-teams would routinely result in a hail of 3s, but now we'll be able to rotate better on defense. Miami still has the best team in the league, and a deep bench to boot. Anyone thinking LA are the favorites in the league hasn't been paying attention the last couple of years. PEACE.

Godslay

Banned

Say this deal doesn't happen as proposed. The Nuggets are worse off and Dwight still probably ends up on the Lakers. How is that good for Denver?

I guess I don't see it that way. The money is nice and the addition is good. Assuming Dwight signs after this season with the Lakers, you still have a created a monster team that will beat pretty much any product you put out for years to come. If Dwight came through different means, that would be fine. But to work with the Lakers to bring him in is stupid to me. You are defeating yourself for years to come, even if you improve your team.

before this season i would have agreed with you.

after this postseason where Bron pretty much carried his team to a championship (Bosh missed half of it and Wade wasn't even close to himself) and how he's saved the US from it's stupidity over in London, I'm not going to doubt him.

he refuses to lose and I don't see anyone or any team stopping him.

Bron's playoff run was nice, but being able to get the rim at will made the rest of his game shine, without a blow by option he won't be able to be as great.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I must be the only one who likes the Nuggets chances next year. They were already a good team last year (really they should have beat the Lakers) and managed to get a huge addition for their team while getting rid of the weakest player in their starting 5. Their young guys are a year older and Iggy will do some crazy shit on a team coached by Karl.

More than capable of upsetting some team in the first round.

SamuraiX-

Nash - 38 yrs
Kobe - 34 yrs
Metta - 32 yrs
Pau - 32 yrs
Dwight - 26 yrs

I can't believe that fucking lineup.

Lakers are going to chip back-to-back (at the very least).

SamuraiX-

So when should we receive notice that the league approved the trade?

david-stern-2008.jpg

Alrix

does this mean faried will be coming off the bench with gallo starting at the 4 and andre at the 3? i like denver. gonna be really fun to watch

Triple U

Banned
How in the hell do the Lakers get away with this shit? Not accusing them of anything but I would absolutely love to hear how these "negotiations" actually go.

Heat vs Lakers

Kobe got Wade
MWP got LBJ
Pau got Bosh

Who contains Nash and Dwight? Chalmers and Anthony?

Kobe V Wade is a wash.

MWP hasn't "had" LBJ since he was put on purple and gold

Pau can't check Bosh, especially so on the perimeter

Nash in a Princeton won't me that big of a threat except for his shooting and even then the Heat are probably the best perimeter defense in the league

Dwight is still a huge wildcard, back surgery isn't anything to just shrug off...

Godslay

Banned
I must be the only one who likes the Nuggets chances next year. They were already a good team last year (really they should have beat the Lakers) and managed to get a huge addition for their team while getting rid of the weakest player in their starting 5. Their young guys are a year older and Iggy will do some crazy shit on a team coached by Karl.

More than capable of upsetting some team in the first round.

Do they beat the Lakers or the Thunder with this team? I highly doubt it. If they meet either one of these teams, they're likely done. Whereas with just the Thunder being the frontrunner West team prior to this trade, you could hope for an upset and play a weaker team to reach the finals. Now you are likely to meet either the Thunder or the Lakers to make it there.

Denver is still a good team, and improved with Iggy, but I don't think it's enough to get it done. I would love to be wrong of course, but watching the Nuggets forever tells me the likelihood of me being wrong is fairly slim.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
does this mean faried will be coming off the bench with gallo starting at the 4 and andre at the 3? i like denver. gonna be really fun to watch

I would guess Lawson/Iggy/Gallo/Faried/McGee would be their starting 5.

In 6 months they went from Lawson/Afflalo/Gallo/Nene/Mozgov to that new lineup and managed to save a ton of money in the process.

Nuggets still have their 13 million dollar TPE too right? Wonder what they'll do with that.

People talked for years about the 76ers having a wing log-jam, but now their wing rotation is Turner-Wright-Young, isn't that the worst wing rotation in the NBA?

Do they beat the Lakers or the Thunder with this team? I highly doubt it. If they meet either one of these teams, they're likely done. Whereas with just the Thunder being the frontrunner West team prior to this trade, you could hope for an upset and play a weaker team to reach the finals. Now you are likely to meet either the Thunder or the Lakers to make it there.

Denver is still a good team, and improved with Iggy, but I don't think it's enough to get it done. I would love to be wrong of course, but watching the Nuggets forever tells me the likelihood of me being wrong is fairly slim.

They went from being a likely lottery team to a likely playoff team.

Alrix

I would guess Lawson/Iggy/Gallo/Faried/McGee would be their starting 5.

In 6 months they went from Lawson/Afflalo/Gallo/Nene/Mozgov to that new lineup and managed to save a ton of money in the process.

Nuggets still have their 13 million dollar TPE too right? Wonder what they'll do with that.

They're pretty loaded.

McGee/Mozgov
Gallo/Faried
Iggy/Chandler
?? not sure who they have at the 2
Lawson/Miller

that looks pretty damn good on paper.

SamuraiX-

Iggy really is perfect for the Nuggets. A guy who can run the floor and dish out to guys in transition. And unlike Collins, I'm sure Carl will make better use of him.

Sure but anywhere near the national outrage and anger directed towards Lebron?

Though this does make them the favorites IMO to win the title.

circumstances regarding heat coming together and this team are day and night, no parade here yet and no espn special either.

Bron got as much hate as he provoked.

SamuraiX-

Sure but anywhere near the national outrage and anger directed towards Lebron?

Though this does make them the favorites IMO to win the title.

LeBron had his own 1-hour ESPN special shitting on the city he grew up in and the team he played for his first 7 years in the league.
"Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4..."
"Iz gon b easy"
etc.

Dwight's just an oversensitive, self-entitled bitch. LeBron showed us his clown shoes on national television on multiple occasions during that summer 2010 debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom