• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dwights biggest contribution offensively is that he's going to put teams in the penalty 24/7. This was always the case in Orlando but it didn't matter because J-Rich, Meer, etc weren't going to draw touch fouls.

Imagine defending a Dwight/Nash PNR all day with your team in the penalty and Kobe getting cheese touch fouls to instantly get to the line. Its going to be a fucking nightmare defending that team.

With Pau around and Kobe lurking.

Going to be a fun season.

Kevin Love to the Knicks. You know Chandler Was in his ear talking about remember when you was 9 and my towel boy? Come to the Knicks and let's get a chip together.

Chandler won't even be in New York by the time The Knicks could afford Love.

edit: I just realized that The Manhattan Knicks will be paying a 41 year old Marcus camby 4.1 million dollars in the 2014-2015 season. Wow.

And a 42 year old Jason Kidd 3 million in 2014-2015....good lord.

lol grow up

WELCOME BACK MY WHITE FRIEND WHO SHOPS AT COSTCO!

HAVE SOME COSTCO PANTS ON ME

bluepants.jpg

Nelo Ice

Banned
Dwights biggest contribution offensively is that he's going to put teams in the penalty 24/7. This was always the case in Orlando but it didn't matter because J-Rich, Meer, etc weren't going to draw touch fouls.

Imagine defending a Dwight/Nash PNR all day with your team in the penalty and Kobe getting cheese touch fouls to instantly get to the line. Its going to be a fucking nightmare defending that team.

Is there any starting 5 in in the league that can match up with that? It's going to be downright unfair with the way the the offense should work. So many freaking options and all 4 guys command double teams. If World Peace can play as well as he did in the latter half the season then it's going to be be that much more of a nightmare.

edit:
I wish Drew all the best in his future endeavors.
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
Sixers to introduce newcomers Andrew Bynum & Jason Richardson publicly Wednesday at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia.

Pimpwerx

Is there any starting 5 in in the league that can match up with that? It's going to be downright unfair with the way the the offense should work. So many freaking options and all 4 guys command double teams. If World Peace can play as well as he did in the latter half the season then it's going to be be that much more of a nightmare.

edit:
I wish Drew all the best in his future endeavors.

Which 4 guys command double-teams? Pau, who gets handled by a SF Bron alone? Old Snake who is essentially a jumpshooter now? Nash who never really gets double-teamed anyway? Wow! Delusions run wild in Lakerville.

Tell me any lineup that matches up with Wade-Allen-Bron-Shane/Haslem/Shard-Bosh and I'll buy you a new set of glasses. PEACE.

Which 4 guys command double-teams? Pau, who gets handled by a SF Bron alone? Old Snake who is essentially a jumpshooter now? Nash who never really gets double-teamed anyway? Wow! Delusions run wild in Lakerville.

Tell me any lineup that matches up with Wade-Allen-Bron-Shane/Haslem/Shard-Bosh and I'll buy you a new set of glasses. PEACE.

You put Dwight in the middle to prevent drives and you let them shoot Js. This has been known since the dawn of time, it's just hard to discourage them from driving with how weak Centers are nowadays. Chandler kept their drive game to a minimum, a task too hard for Perk and Ibaka.

It's not too complicated, teams just lack the personnel....which the Lakers have. Where are my glasses at bitch?

You put Dwight in the middle to prevent drives and you let them shoot Js. This has been known since the dawn of time, it's just hard to discourage them from driving with how weak Centers are nowadays. Chandler kept their drive game to a minimum, a task too hard for Perk and Ibaka.

It's not too complicated, teams just lack the personnel....which the Lakers have. Where are my glasses at bitch?

lol

Nelo Ice

Banned

Why yes Pimp teams are shaking in sheer terror at having to go up against Haslem/Battier/Shard(lol). Face it the Heat still have garbage at center and you didn't even list a point guard. We have a 1-5 prototypical lineup that likely no team can match. Guess I need new glasses.

edit:Wait none of thoses guys are even Centers and no Haslem and Bosh do not count.

Why yes Pimp teams are shaking in sheer terror at having to go up against Haslem/Battier/Shard(lol). Face it the Heat still have garbage at center and you didn't even list a point guard. We have a 1-5 prototypical lineup that likely no team can match. Guess I need new glasses.

edit:Wait none of thoses guys are even Centers and no Haslem and Bosh do not count.

wait, the heat picked up shard lewis?
lolz

You guys might as well post the lyrics to "we already won" and replace it with Lakers because that's basically what's happened sine the wekeend

Pimpwerx

LOL! So Dwight sits in the middle? And who guards Bosh? Ask OKC how effective this strategy was for them. There's a reason small ball is used, and it's because you can't just camp in the paint. The weakness is that you lose on defense, but we're not really all that small when we go small, and don't get killed inside or on the glass when we do. Athletic and versatile.

Bosh is not sitting in the paint, he's out on the perimeter now. If Dwight wants to test his shooting, he'll get killed. That lineup is full of shooters, which no other lineup can bring without being absolute shit defensively. It won one championship. Get ready to watch it win another one this year.

BTW, Chandler was aided by a zone that we weren't good at scoring on. Our zone offense was trash, and our bench was weak. Last year, Chandler didn't do much to keep us from the paint. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

Derp. Who needs a center? Do we get killed inside by anyone? True center or not, we're one of the best defenses inside and out. How does that work? The only teams that need a center are those that don't have versatile forwards that can provide all the interior defense of a traditional lineup, rebound effectively and still shoot well from the perimeter.

Oh...I'm sure there are a plethora of teams out there with that kind of roster...we just haven't seen then use it to effect. Am I doing it right? PEACE.

Do you think Lebron is going to guard Pau all game? Lakers benefit whatever happens, either way.

Option 1, Lebron guards Pau all game, would be way more tiring than what he normally does, and it removes Lebron from his best defensive asset, being on the perimeter and wreaking havic on passing lanes.

Option 2, leave Lebron at SF, play Shard, Haslem, or Anthony at PF. Pau has a decided advantage over Shard. Anthony would really kill the offense for Miami. Haslem to a lesser extent.

If Anthony has to play, the Lakers are going to win. Howard doing nothing but patrolling the paint like Chandler did.

Derp. Who needs a center? Do we get killed inside by anyone? True center or not, we're one of the best defenses inside and out. How does that work? The only teams that need a center are those that don't have versatile forwards that can provide all the interior defense of a traditional lineup, rebound effectively and still shoot well from the perimeter.

You got killed inside by Kevin Garnett.

Pimpwerx

Yes, yes they did. Shard was the final piece to the repeat puzzle.

A championship getting deeper and better and repeating is more realistic than losing in 5 to the team that lost in 5 to said champion, and then thinking you've jumped up to unstoppable status. One of these scenarios has been proven repeatedly, and one of them exists only in fairy tales, aka Lakers crack dreams. PEACE.

LOL! So Dwight sits in the middle? And who guards Bosh? Ask OKC how effective this strategy was for them. There's a reason small ball is used, and it's because you can't just camp in the paint. The weakness is that you lose on defense, but we're not really all that small when we go small, and don't get killed inside or on the glass when we do. Athletic and versatile.

Bosh is not sitting in the paint, he's out on the perimeter now. If Dwight wants to test his shooting, he'll get killed. That lineup is full of shooters, which no other lineup can bring without being absolute shit defensively. It won one championship. Get ready to watch it win another one this year.

BTW, Chandler was aided by a zone that we weren't good at scoring on. Our zone offense was trash, and our bench was weak. Last year, Chandler didn't do much to keep us from the paint. PEACE.

Pau can guard Bosh just fine.

OKC couldn't properly employee that strategy cause Ibaka is a shit man to man defender and Perk just sucks.

Dwight/Pau/JHill will kill you on the glass, they'll kill anyone on the glass. Perk and Ibaka are nowhere near a rebounding tandem as Dwight/Pau or even Dwight/Hill.

Again Pau can go with Bosh to the perimeter and Dwight can stick with whatever trash Mia sticks in the middle.

Bron and Wade are still streaky as fuck when they shoot Js. They might win a game or two chucking Js, but it has proven to be a weak offensive plan for them.

Chandler couldn't produce the same inside D as when he was with Dallas because Melo and Amare think getting blown by is part of the defensive strategy.

Sit down son, and order me my fucking glasses.

A championship getting deeper and better and repeating is more realistic than losing in 5 to the team that lost in 5 to said champion, and then thinking you've jumped up to unstoppable status. One of these scenarios has been proven repeatedly, and one of them exists only in fairy tales, aka Lakers crack dreams. PEACE.

Hey man, if you consider the Heat deeper by having Shard on the squad then more power to you...

Nelo Ice

Banned

Oh...I'm sure there are a plethora of teams out there with that kind of roster...we just haven't seen then use it to effect. Am I doing it right? PEACE.

Well since the Heat don't need a Center please tell me how you plan to defend Dwight Howard when he has 3 other guys backing him up that can kill you in a variety of ways?

pau can guard Bosh?

has anybody watched the heat lakers games with bosh playing?

holy crap you guys are acting like you just went from kwame brown to dwight. slow down, people. dwight fits the lakers better but it's not the sudden nightmare you guys are making it out to be. just let the games play out and we will see. too many people trying to play paper matchups

pau can guard Bosh?

His argument was that Laker bigs couldn't guard Bosh on the perimeter. Bosh can work inside against Pau but getting by him won't be as desirable when Dwight is there as his safety net. And any team would love Bosh settling for 3s and long range twos.

And match ups with previous iteration of this Laker team are kind of moot. Dwight inside changes everything.

Pimpwerx

Do you think Lebron is going to guard Pau all game? Lakers benefit whatever happens, either way.

Option 1, Lebron guards Pau all game, would be way more tiring than what he normally does, and it removes Lebron from his best defensive asset, being on the perimeter and wreaking havic on passing lanes.

Option 2, leave Lebron at SF, play Shard, Haslem, or Anthony at PF. Pau has a decided advantage over Shard. Anthony would really kill the offense for Miami. Haslem to a lesser extent.

If Anthony has to play, the Lakers are going to win. Howard doing nothing but patrolling the paint like Chandler did.

Shane, Bron and Bosh rotate around a lot on defense.

How utterly stupid do you think our coaching staff would be to play someone with zero offensive skills like Joel for any significant minutes? It just begs Dwight to shade off him and camp. You know how many minutes our centers played in the Finals combined? 2 minutes in garbage time of Game5. That's against a traditional center and an athletic PF who both could rebound very well.

The matchup that supposedly doesn't work for Miami works even worse for LA, unless you like being silly and assume Dwight doesn't have to actually guard anyone. Or maybe people think Pat Riley passed on a bunch of 7 footers in the offseason to put money into a SG and a SF/PF. We're not worried about playing the traditional game, because we have the personnel to make other teams have to matchup with us. PEACE.

pau can guard Bosh?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=boshch01&p2=gasolpa01

Only played 3 times in Miami. Not enough to judge. I think Pau and Bosh would basically negate each other.

How utterly stupid do you think our coaching staff would be to play someone with zero offensive skills like Joel for any significant minutes? It just begs Dwight to shade off him and camp. You know how many minutes our centers played in the Finals combined? 2 minutes in garbage time of Game5. That's against a traditional center and an athletic PF who both could rebound very well.

The matchup that supposedly doesn't work for Miami works even worse for LA, unless you like being silly and assume Dwight doesn't have to actually guard anyone. Or maybe people think Pat Riley passed on a bunch of 7 footers in the offseason to put money into a SG and a SF/PF. We're not worried about playing the traditional game, because we have the personnel to make other teams have to matchup with us. PEACE.

Uh, Joel played vs Dallas in the Finals a lot.

Also, what 7 footers were available for Riley that were any good? He tried to get Camby, and Camby went to NYK for more money.

SamuraiX-

I just realized Sixers got J-Rich in the trade too.

He'll be a major upgrade over Meeks.

Sixers could be a Top 4 team in the East this season.

iiucno9e.gif

The LA optimism in here is annoying, yeah, but I can't say it's unfounded. Barring injuries, I fully expect the Lakers to win the championship next year.

Emwitus

Your team isn't getting out of the eastern confrence this year....so are the lakers tho. It's gonna be a Okc/Celtz/Knicks finals.

uh...who? Camby? Couldn't afford him from what I read.

Perks isn't a traditional Center, he's garbage.

Pimpwerx

Pau can guard Bosh just fine.

OKC couldn't properly employee that strategy cause Ibaka is a shit man to man defender and Perk just sucks.

Dwight/Pau/JHill will kill you on the glass, they'll kill anyone on the glass. Perk and Ibaka are nowhere near a rebounding tandem as Dwight/Pau or even Dwight/Hill.

Again Pau can go with Bosh to the perimeter and Dwight can stick with whatever trash Mia sticks in the middle.

Bron and Wade are still streaky as fuck when they shoot Js. They might win a game or two chucking Js, but it has proven to be a weak offensive plan for them.

Chandler couldn't produce the same inside D as when he was with Dallas because Melo and Amare think getting blown by is part of the defensive strategy.

Sit down son, and order me my fucking glasses.
Pau guards Bosh? Then who's on Shane/Haslem/Shard?

It's like you didn't watch the Finals. Replace Rio with Ray in the closing lineup, and insert either Shane, Shard or Haslem at the other position flanking the Big3. So Dwight is gonna guard Shane and Shard on the perimeter? Okay...we'll take that.

There's a specific reason I'm saying Dwight will guard Bosh, and that's because he will have to. Pau can't do it well on a good day, but now what will he do when you force Dwight to guard Shane or Shard at the 3pt line. LOL! You want him closer to the rim, and that would mean putting him on Bosh.

I know the Lakers have weak perimeter D, but I don't think Dwight is gonna do much to help you there, bud. That's why you need glasses. You must be blind to not see how effective it was last season. AND we didn't lose much on defense because all 3 forwards on the floor are good defenders. We did an excellent job fronting the post. PEACE.

SamuraiX-

If Mike Brown is still the Lakers head coach and Kobe still thinks he's the best player on the team by orders of magnitude when the 2013 Playoffs hit, you can put me down for another Lakers 2nd round exit.

Pimpwerx

Uh, Joel played vs Dallas in the Finals a lot.

Also, what 7 footers were available for Riley that were any good? He tried to get Camby, and Camby went to NYK for more money.

There's been a whole other season since Joel played meaningful minutes in the Finals.

Did Lakers nation miss the entire Finals? I know you must have lost interest after OKC beat that ass, but you must have heard some rumblings about an unusual lineup seeing unusual success. Pull your heads out of the sand. PEACE.

Pau guards Bosh? Then who's on Shane/Haslem/Shard?

It's like you didn't watch the Finals. Replace Rio with Ray in the closing lineup, and insert either Shane, Shard or Haslem at the other position flanking the Big3. So Dwight is gonna guard Shane and Shard on the perimeter? Okay...we'll take that.

There's a specific reason I'm saying Dwight will guard Bosh, and that's because he will have to. Pau do it well on a good day, but now what will he do when you force Dwight to guard Shane or Shard at the 3pt line. LOL! You want him closer to the rim, and that would mean putting him on Bosh.

I know the Lakers have weak perimeter D, but I don't think Dwight is gonna do much to help you there, bud. That's why you need glasses. You must be blind to not see how effective it was last season. AND we didn't lose much on defense because all 3 forwards on the floor are good defenders. We did an excellent job fronting the post. PEACE.

What are you talking about? Shane Battier was terrible last season. He got hot for like 4 games all season long and it just happened to be at the absolute perfect time.

If Bosh is your C, Dwight will cover him and Pau will guard Battier. And unlike Ibaka, Pau won't needlessly go into the paint to go after every block opportunity.

Both teams have weaknesses where others have strengths. You say LeBron can't guard Gasol all game, very true, well, Gasol can't guard LeBron, period. Everything in this matchup can go both ways which is why it is so fucking intriguing.

It's all about both teams players' trying to fill in gaps and minimize the disadvantage. For example Bosh is basically transitioning to center, and he is bulking up more to man the middle. We have no idea how that will play out, but it's not like Dwight will run complete circles around him either way.

Traditionally size should win out but the Heat have done a pretty damn good job of hiding that deficiency...like I said we will see, a lot will happen between now and then. What I do know is that we are going to need a great Wade, this past playoffs it was painful watching him at times.

If Mike Brown is still the Lakers head coach and Kobe still thinks he's the best player on the team by orders of magnitude when the 2013 Playoffs hit, you can put me down for another Lakers 2nd round exit.
Mike Brown is truly the X-factor here. I feel like Nash is going to dial back Kobe's chucking gene.

There's been a whole other season since Joel played meaningful minutes in the Finals.

Did Lakers nation miss the entire Finals? I know you must have lost interest after OKC beat that ass, but you must have heard some rumblings about an unusual lineup seeing unusual success. Pull your heads out of the sand. PEACE.

Uh, Joel Anthony played a LOT of minutes versus Indy and Boston. Did you even watch your own team?

He played because they had to defend KG and Hibbert. Stop talking, now.

Both teams have weaknesses where others have strengths. You say LeBron can't guard Gasol all game, very true, well, Gasol can't guard LeBron, period. Everything in this matchup can go both ways which is why it is so fucking intriguing.

It's all about both teams players' trying to fill in gaps and minimize the disadvantage. For example Bosh is basically transitioning to center, and he is bulking up more to man the middle. We have no idea how that will play out, but it's not like Dwight will run complete circles around him either way.

Traditionally size should win out but the Heat have done a pretty damn good job of hiding that deficiency...like I said we will see, a lot will happen between now and then. What I do know is that we are going to need a great Wade, this past playoffs it was painful watching him at times.

they will stick Pau on Battier, not Lebron. MWP will stay on him. Pau can defend Battier easily since all Battier really does is stand in one spot. Shard is an easy cover for him, too.

Only problem comes on switches.

What are you talking about? Shane Battier was terrible last season. He got hot for like 4 games all season long and it just happened to be at the absolute perfect time.

If Bosh is your C, Dwight will cover him and Pau will guard Battier. And unlike Ibaka, Pau won't needlessly go into the paint to go after every block opportunity.

Bats was pretty awful till the playoffs. But I am hoping with a normal season and training camp, that he and Haslem will get their shooting more consistent.

But if they wanna suck all year and then make every shot in the finals again, I am ok with that too lol

I can't wait to see what Ray Allen will bring to this team. I also fear that he might have a mysterious down year like many of our role players last year

Pimpwerx

Shane actually started playing well once he got the start. Starter minutes seems to get him into the flow of the game better. He was shooting off his career average all season, but then returned to normalcy later. It's one thing to get hot, and it's another to just start playing back to your norm. His performance in the regular season was the outlier in that regard.

Pau will guard a SF on the perimeter? Okay. We'll take that too. You don't consider any of this a mismatch, I assume.

What happens when Bron goes down into the post with Shane and Bosh hanging around the perimeter. Is Metta left on an island then? You can't be ignorant of the chaos our lineup creates. It's because everyone is capable of scoring from the perimeter, and 3-4 guys on court are also able to score inside. You camp, we shoot over you. You come out, and we go inside. And it doesn't require playing traditional bigs, we can stay quick and athletic. PEACE.

Bats was pretty awful till the playoffs. But I am hoping with a normal season and training camp, that he and Haslem will get their shooting more consistent.

But if they wanna suck all year and then make every shot in the finals again, I am ok with that too lol

I can't wait to see what Ray Allen will bring to this team. I also fear that he might have a mysterious down year like many of our role players last year

It's possible, but Battier wasn't very good the previous year, either. He's slowing down fast.

Allen is much scarier.

Last year I said I thought Lakers would beat Miami if it came to it. I won't change my mind, now that they've upgraded with D12 and Nash. I'm not arguing it's a lock, just my opinion. Was always more scared of OKC (and never thought Lakers could beat em).

The matchup will be interesting because Miami's bigs after Bosh are terrible but LA is a big team and can exploit them. Still believe that a team with post players, defensive C, and strong PG and/or 3 point shooting is what will beat Miami like Dallas did and why Orlando would have been tough for Miami.

Shane actually started playing well once he got the start. Starter minutes seems to get him into the flow of the game better. He was shooting off his career average all season, but then returned to normalcy later. It's one thing to get hot, and it's another to just start playing back to your norm. His performance in the regular season was the outlier in that regard.

Pau will guard a SF on the perimeter? Okay. We'll take that too. You don't consider any of this a mismatch, I assume.

What happens when Bron goes down into the post with Shane and Bosh hanging around the perimeter. Is Metta left on an island then? You can't be ignorant of the chaos our lineup creates. It's because everyone is capable of scoring from the perimeter, and 3-4 guys on court are also able to score inside. You camp, we shoot over you. You come out, and we go inside. And it doesn't require playing traditional bigs, we can stay quick and athletic. PEACE.

Shane had like 8 good games after February. Just stop it.

What will shane do on the perimeter versus Pau? Drive by him when he hasn't done it in 12 years?

I don't really care what Bron does. Leave him on the island. The key to beating Miami is shutting down Wade and either Bosh or the role players, not Lebron.

SUPREME1

Banned
Yes, yes, we know. It got you a championship*. Congrats on that. Hope you popped bottles and did whatever they do down in South Beach.

You might even be able to pull off a legit one next year. But we'll just have to wait and see. Something about having to actually play the games instead of proclaming how many you'll win...

Pimpwerx

Uh, Joel Anthony played a LOT of minutes versus Indy and Boston. Did you even watch your own team?

He played because they had to defend KG and Hibbert. Stop talking, now.

they will stick Pau on Battier, not Lebron. MWP will stay on him. Pau can defend Battier easily since all Battier really does is stand in one spot. Shard is an easy cover for him, too.

Only problem comes on switches.

What part of Bosh being injured did you ignore? You know what? I concede. LOL! Lakers can keep pretending they're unstoppable. It'll make the crushing defeat that much sweeter. Reality checks are due. Bookmark this page for the ultimate ownage. PEACE.

What part of Bosh being injured did you ignore? You know what? I concede. LOL! Lakers can keep pretending they're unstoppable. It'll make the crushing defeat that much sweeter. Reality checks are due. Bookmark this page for the ultimate ownage. PEACE.

I have never once argued they are unstoppable. In fact, the only one here claiming unstoppability ever has been you.

It's possible, but Battier wasn't very good the previous year, either. He's slowing down fast.

Allen is much scarier.

Last year I said I thought Lakers would beat Miami if it came to it. I won't change my mind, now that they've upgraded with D12 and Nash. I'm not arguing it's a lock, just my opinion. Was always more scared of OKC (and never thought Lakers could beat em).

The matchup will be interesting because Miami's bigs after Bosh are terrible but LA is a big team and can exploit them. Still believe that a team with post players, defensive C, and strong PG and/or 3 point shooting is what will beat Miami like Dallas did and why Orlando would have been tough for Miami.

Oh I am totally with you there. I don't think I said this here but anyone who asked me what team I feared most, I said the Lakers had the most potential to really upset Miami (until game 6 in Boston that is)

See the thing is that I think Dwights addition is a little overblown. upgrade yeah but I feel the changes he will bring are not as big as the one Nash will provide. lakers just went from awful point guard play to one of the best shooters and playmakers in nba history. I am far more concerned about that than this size that was already there to begin with

I have never once argued they are unstoppable. In fact, the only one here claiming unstoppability ever has been you.

you didnt say that but the last few days there has been a lot of overconfidence imo by many...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom