• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a tweet that Bynum is having "precautionary non invasive knee examination" in September, da fuck?

And lol at the Clippers finishing with a better record than the Lakers, praying for injuries is not a prediction.

I'm really not sure how to feel about the Pacers. They didn't really get better in the off-season and they still don't have an elite player. Roy Hibbert could obviously change that but I don't think he's ever going to be elite to be a go to guy (I recognize they suck at passing into the post but he hasn't shown consistent star production)

You actually don't know Jamison is better than Anthony/Haslem right now (Although that is not very hard to do) He could be a bust on the bench for all you know. Did you see him in Cleveland?

Also, Bosh is going to have to try to contain Dwight and LeBron will basically be forced to move to the 4 a little earlier in his career. I think against the Lakers we would likely roll out a healthy dose Bosh, James, Allen, Wade, Rashard/Chalmers

If Rashard can regain any damn form he would be great as a stretch big against the Lakers. The combo of him and Bosh could pull LA's bigs away. But that would obviously sacrifice defense and rebounding

He was better last year in Cleveland than Haslem and Anthony last year. But sure, we're talking on paper right now.

And I forgot about Shard since he wasn't mentioned. Curious to see how he plays.

Of course, Dwight + Pau > Bosh + everyone else right now and that's all that matters (not counting Bron as a PF).

People are underrating the Mavs. They're a deep team that got younger and better.

But everyone else got better except the Spurs in the West.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Not possible. We all saw The Woodson Hawks. Melo is his new Iso Joe. Kidd has less left in the tank than Darkside and Redblaster.

The pass first PG thing is true, Melo ain't having it either way. Lin propelled them into the playoffs and Melo said fuck that shit.

Linsanity and that 18-6 under coach Woodson got them into the playoffs. Don't get me wrong I expect ISO Joe but the Knicks at least got PG's who know how to get people the ball in their hot spots and Players along with Woodson have been talking about running over screens to get open to give Amare/Melo someone to throw the ball to besides when they are doubled.

I'm really not sure how to feel about the Pacers. They didn't really get better in the off-season and they still don't have an elite player. Roy Hibbert could obviously change that but I don't think he's ever going to be elite to be a go to guy (I recognize they suck at passing into the post but he hasn't shown consistent star production)

That's what I'm talking about the Pacers are a post up team and I don't see anyone reliable enough to pass the ball to their bigs in the high post let alone through traffic to the low post where 2 of their best players thrive offensively.

Yeah I fixed for the exact quote. Hope he holds up, Lakers don't deserve the better player and to have their tradebait collapse on arrival.

the procedure was scheduled months ago. he's working out in Atlanta as he does every summer, right now, at full strength. It's the Kobe thing to get the knees even healthier. Recovery is a very short timeline and there's no known risk.

Whatever happens to Drew won't be as a result of this.

Linsanity and that 18-6 under coach Woodson got them into the playoffs. Don't get me wrong I expect ISO Joe but the Knicks at least got PG's who know how to get people the ball in their hot spots and Players along with Woodson have been talking about running over screens to get open to give Amare/Melo someone to throw the ball to besides when they are doubled.

Woodson ain't that good son, Melo and company will turn on him soon enough for you to see that.

If Felton can get back to where he was a few years ago The Knicks could creep into the 3rd or 4th seed, but most everyone doubts that.

Omega

Banned
If this happens it would mean he'd be the second coming of Lebron. I would become an obnoxiously annoying MKG dick rider.

i normally don't give a shit about college sports and very few interest me enough to watch/follow. he was one of them.

it honestly wouldn't surprise me since the East is weak as hell

Zeus Molecules

Woodson ain't that good son, Melo and company will turn on him soon enough for you to see that.

If Felton can get back to where he was a few years ago The Knicks could creep into the 3rd or 4th seed, but most everyone doubts that.

All those remain to be seen. I don't think Woodson is a great coach but he is a good enough coach to play to his strengths. Defense should be the priority next season along with getting their mobb deep bench minutes to rest the starters.

Durant/Harden/Westbrook/Ibaka is still better...especially over an 82 game season. Which is why i have them over the lakers. Your point?

EDIT: And hahaha at blake. That's a bum for sure.

If you throw Harden in and ignore Sef and Perk...

Lakers were 3rd in the West with Ramon/Blake and Bynum. Switching Bynum for Howard is a huge upgrade enough to keep them in the top 3, now if the hypothetical Nash injury doesn't occur then Lakers are #1 or #2 very easily.

All those remain to be seen. I don't think Woodson is a great coach but he is a good enough coach to play to his strengths. Defense should be the priority next season along with getting their mobb deep bench minutes to rest the starters.

Not really. Woodson showed everyone what he was about in Atlanta for years and Felton has sucked for a while now, go ask reilo. What does remain to be seen is Felton being a 13/8 guy in the past two years and Woodson being a good enough coach to last in the playoffs or a 82 game season.

That plus Melo/Amare not being good fits....second round ceiling.

Emwitus

Lakers were 3rd in the West with Ramon/Blake and Bynum. Switching Bynum for Howard is a huge upgrade enough to keep them in the top 3, now if the hypothetical Nash injury doesn't occur then Lakers are #1 or #2 very easily.

Switching bynum is indeed an upgrade but it's not as huge as some people are making it out to be. Bynum had an all-star season last year with numbers not so far off what dwight will be giving. I for one think nash is the bigger upgrade if he remains healthy. But i digress, i should state i feel like the lakers will be a better playoff team(as celtics) than a regular season team, maybe even better than okc. So, low seed but deeper playoff run.

Switching bynum is indeed an upgrade but it's not as huge as some people are making it out to be. Bynum had an all-star season last year with numbers not so far off what dwight will be giving. I for one think nash is the bigger upgrade if he remains healthy. But i digress, i should state i feel like the lakers will be a better playoff team(as celtics) than a regular season team, maybe even better than okc. So, low seed but longer playoff run.

Dwight may be just a slight upgrade on O (add in Nash and it's even bigger) but he is immensely better on D than Bynum. Lakers will go from average on D to one of the best.

Zeus Molecules

Not really. Woodson showed everyone what he was about in Atlanta for years and Felton has sucked for a while now, go ask reilo. What does remain to be seen is Felton being a 13/8 guy in the past two years and Woodson being a good enough coach to last in the playoffs or a 82 game season.

Woodson wasn't a bad coach offensively he was lacking but Atlanta got better every year in the regular season. The playoffs is a different thing all together I'll admit but if they can get a higher seed they might be able to make some noise because they will be a defense first team.

As for Felton if he comes in at 13/8 for the season with Kidds playing backup that's great. That's all the Knicks need him to do. He should only be at best a 3rd or 4th scoring option on he Knicks.

bluemax

Banned
Frankie, please tell me this isn't what my fellow yanquis-agers and I sound like....

I'm stopping the CC/Felix/Strasburg rotation trade scenario posts immediately.

Yankees fans and Lakers fans are basically interchangeable in their posting behaviors.

Emwitus

Dwight may be just a slight upgrade on O (add in Nash and it's even bigger) but he is immensely better on D than Bynum.

Yes, but bynum was no slouch on defense either...if only for the few spurts he had actually D'ing up. Anyway, i still do not see them topping spurs/clippers/okc in an 82 game season. I guess will have to wait and see. I must add that it's really weird that people seem to have forgot spurs recently had one of the longest winning streaks in history and the team remains relatively un changed.

Cloudy

Banned
559251_10151104384185419_2090290077_n.jpg

SUPREME1

Banned
Switching bynum is indeed an upgrade but it's not as huge as some people are making it out to be. Bynum had an all-star season last year with numbers not so far off what dwight will be giving. I for one think nash is the bigger upgrade if he remains healthy. But i digress, i should state i feel like the lakers will be a better playoff team(as celtics) than a regular season team, maybe even better than okc. So, low seed but deeper playoff run.

Elite defense at the 5 spot along with elite rebounding. Both are things that Bynum only showed flashes of, while Dwight does this by default every game.

Dwight is more limited on offense, but is also more efficient at it.

Dwight is a clear upgrade.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yes, but bynum was no slouch on defense either...if only for the few spurts he had actually D'ing up. Anyway, i still do not see them topping spurs/clippers/okc in an 82 game season. I guess will have to wait and see. I must add that it's really weird that people seem to have forgot spurs recently had one of the longest winning streaks in history and the team remains relatively un changed.

Yep. Dwight will show up for all 82 games and he does everything on D that Bynum doesn't. As for the Spurs that's the whole problem. They haven't improved and their core just got older.

Woodson wasn't a bad coach offensively he was lacking but Atlanta got better every year in the regular season. The playoffs is a different thing all together I'll admit but if they can get a higher seed they might be able to make some noise because they will be a defense first team.

As for Felton if he comes in at 13/8 for the season with Kidds playing backup that's great. That's all the Knicks need him to do. He should only be at best a 3rd or 4th scoring option on he Knicks.

I put 13/8 as an almost best case scenario. He'll probably be 12/6 or 12/5.

And as long as Melo and Amare are starting for your squad, you'll never be a defense first team, never.

Bynum is great offensively, but he really needs the ball in his hands in one on one situations to be the most effective. He struggles with double teams too. I think Dwight will be more limited in that aspect but is also more versatile on offense. And he will free up Pau a bit more too.

Zeus Molecules

I put 13/8 as an almost best case scenario. He'll probably be 12/6 or 12/5.

And as long as Melo and Amare are starting for your squad, you'll never be a defense first team, never.

12/6 is doubtful to me because Felton is good at the PnR and Amare and Chandler score off that. The alongside Melo, Novak and JR who can catch and shoot and yeah I see 8 assists average. Even then 12/6 would get the job done if Kidd and Melo see decent minutes as the ball handler.

Also the knicks were decent on defense last year the problem was when Chandler sat they had no center to anchor the defense. Camby fixes that, the add in Brewer and Shumpert for perimeter/swingman defense and they'll be good.

Also Woodson has been talking about adding the zone alongside man to man so no more switching defense.

Last season it felt like every time Bynum received the ball anywhere near the hoop he would always force it up even if he didn't actually have good position. Will dwight actually attempt to pass it/ admit when he doesn't have a good look?

Last season it felt like every time Bynum received the ball anywhere near the hoop he would always force it up even if he didn't actually have good position. Will dwight actually attempt to pass it/ admit when he doesn't have a good look?

They will be feeding Pau who will have a lot more one on ones and if someone doubles him he will find a wide open streaking Dwight for a dunk.

12/6 is doubtful to me because Felton is good at the PnR and Amare and Chandler score off that. The alongside Melo, Novak and JR who can catch and shoot and yeah I see 8 assists average. Even then 12/6 would get the job done if Kidd and Melo see decent minutes as the ball handler.

Also the knicks were decent on defense last year the problem was when Chandler sat they had no center to anchor the defense. Camby fixes that, the add in Brewer and Shumpert for perimeter/swingman defense and they'll be good.

Also Woodson has been talking about adding the zone alongside man to man so no more switching defense.

I'll just say you're really optimistic. Things will have to break just right for real life to meet your expectations.

If Felton returns to 2010 Felton, If Woodson can have the best coaching year of his career, if Melo commits to defense finally and allows a PG to run the offense, If Amare can get back in shape and healthy, if Amare can play any defense, if that squad can handle running a zone defense, if Camby and Kidd have anything left....then yea 2nd round here they come.

Zeus Molecules

I'll just say you're really optimistic. Things will have to break just right for real life to meet your expectations.

If Felton returns to 2010 Felton, If Woodson can have the best coaching year of his career, if Melo commits to defense finally and allows a PG to run the offense, If Amare can get back in shape and healthy, if Amare can play any defense, if that squad can handle running a zone defense, if Camby and Kidd have anything left....then yea 2nd round here they come.

Lol basically but I think they can go farther in the playoffs if it all breaks right. If half breaks right and no injuries then second round or bust. In top of that all the big contracts end in 2015... It could be soooooooo much worse than it is right now (because it has been) that how could a Knicks fan not be optimistic.

Dwights biggest contribution offensively is that he's going to put teams in the penalty 24/7. This was always the case in Orlando but it didn't matter because J-Rich, Meer, etc weren't going to draw touch fouls.

Imagine defending a Dwight/Nash PNR all day with your team in the penalty and Kobe getting cheese touch fouls to instantly get to the line. Its going to be a fucking nightmare defending that team.

KingJ2002

The real upgrades the lakers made are:

Jamison > McRoberts + Murphy
Meeks > Goudelock
Motivated "beast" Pau Gasol > Wishy washy "i might get traded" Pau Gasol
In shape Metta World Peace > Out of shape MWP

having two reliable backup shooters on the team alongside a hungry starting 5 is going to allow the lakers to clearly dominate this season. the Lakers were close to the WCF until they kept dropping the ball in the last minute of the 4th quarter.

Now with so many shooters... that ain't happening

Zeus Molecules

pfft, Love is coming East to join the rising stars MKG and Shabazz. Mitch is a UNC alum he owes us a favor.

Kevin Love to the Knicks. You know Chandler Was in his ear talking about remember when you was 9 and my towel boy? Come to the Knicks and let's get a chip together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom