• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really interesting because nothing like this exists in football, At least not yet. I think they are considering bringing it in because things are getting out of control.
The interesting part is that the NBA's cap is "soft". As was stated above, you can use certain exceptions to go over the cap. However, for every dollar you go over the salary cap using these exceptions, you have to pay (I think) another dollar to the league as a penalty. So even though it seems like everyone's on an equal playing field, teams in large markets like LA, NY or Brooklyn can afford to go far over the cap and pay the tax, while teams with cheaper owners/smaller markets usually try to stay at or slightly underneath, giving the larger markets a bit more flexibility.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hey Salvadora just be prepared... prepared for the onslaught of commercials

If you thought those delicious commercial-free halves were glorious, you're in for a rude awakening

I have a feeling Salvadora will do a betrayalton to the team he chooses and leaves before even the season starts

So he'll be likely a MIA fan, "Missing In Action" fan, then see what LAL offers, Locked and Loaded

What are you still doing here?, thought you went all emo on us and were getting ready to go join the 30 Seconds to Mars fan club

Salvadora

Commercial's will be difficult to get used to considering how little I'm used to.
The interesting part is that the NBA's cap is "soft". As was stated above, you can use certain exceptions to go over the cap. However, for every dollar you go over the salary cap using these exceptions, you have to pay (I think) another dollar to the league as a penalty. So even though it seems like everyone's on an equal playing field, teams in large markets like LA, NY or Brooklyn can afford to go far over the cap and pay the tax, while teams with cheaper owners/smaller markets usually try to stay at or slightly underneath, giving the larger markets a bit more flexibility.
Yeah unfortunately I don't think there's a perfect system for any sport. Last season the NBA locked itself out for a bit because owners lost too much money and they thought the overall structure of the NBA lacked parity...but it's really a sport that is impossible to have parity. Like most others, certain teams always find a way to stay on top due to history/culture/location/good management
That's is really cool.
I think its a problem in many sports that the big teams will always find a way to stay on top regardless of the rules.

That's is really cool.
I think its a problem in many sports that the big teams will always find a way to stay on top regardless of the rules.

As long as players have a choice, that's the way it will stay. And I don't think players having a choice will ever change---that's something their union would never relent on.

Teams in less desirable cities have to have winning cultures, good management, and a little bit of luck (when they draft a top pick and that top pick pans out really well) in order to get their players to stay.

Emwitus

They could provide me lot's of entertainment all year round but hopefully at some distance!

Gone but not forgotten!

tumblr_m7zuxkx0jQ1qdpcv4o6_250.gif

I'll drink to that mate. Btw, Zack's gonna be on the next thor!

As someone who's also been getting into basketball over the last few years I feel like I have no history of the sport and so a bunch of events people talk about always seem to go over my head. Any good films or something I could watch or read to feel more "caught up"

SamuraiX-

As someone who's also been getting into basketball over the last few years I feel like I have no history of the sport and so a bunch of events people talk about always seem to go over my head. Any good films or something I could watch or read to feel more "caught up"

Do you have NBA TV?

They're doing a nice segment right now where they're replaying all the classic games from the 80s and 90s. And they otherwise have some good segments from time to time where they look back at the glory days of the game.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Salvadora: become a Lakers fan. We need more around here. Plus we have the best general manager in the league, best Center, Point Guard, Shooting Guard, and one of the best power forwards. We are the greatest franchise in NBA history and have the best colors, fans, and more.

Dat Modesty...

don't worry about it bro you would be just as qualified as all the other Laker fans, and know as much about basketball.

lmao

T Dollarz

I did it for darkside.

Personally I would say either Heat team. 2006 for interior D and hustlin Wade and 2012 for the King in god mode.

Zeus Molecules

I recently got my little sister into basketball by forcing her to watch games with me and then giving her these two books.

FreeDarko Presents: The Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History

FreeDarko Presents: The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac: Styles, Stats, and Stars in Today's Game

they're not so much books on stats as they are tongue in cheek versions the storylines of franchises and players. since 95% of the discussion around here is tongue in cheek BS it will serve you better than figuring out the box score. If you become a knicks fan tell me and i will recommend the knicks fan bible to you lol.

T Dollarz

I recently got my little sister into basketball by forcing her to watch games with me and then giving her these two books.

FreeDarko Presents: The Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History

FreeDarko Presents: The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac: Styles, Stats, and Stars in Today's Game

they're not so much books on stats as they are tongue in cheek versions the storylines of franchises and players. since 95% of the discussion around here is tongue in cheek BS it will serve you better than figuring out the box score. If you become a knicks fan tell me and i will recommend the knicks fan bible to you lol.

LMAO forward by Gilbert Arenas on the second one??

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Remember the good ol' days when Rashard Lewis was still hopped up on PEDs?

I will never say a bad word about him. Dude tipped me $100 at the first real job I ever had (working at a hotel). It's like he knew he was so damn overpaid, he had to be a charitable guy to everybody he came across to feel less guilty about it.

But yeah it was nice when he still had some working knees too.

Zeus Molecules

I noticed that too and immediately thought ".....did this legit just get recommended"

you tried to pass a video on the heat as the history of the entire league as if they were relevant to anything until recently... if he believes that then hey he needs to start with picture books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom