• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like he knew he was so damn overpaid, he had to be a charitable guy to everybody he came across to feel less guilty about it.

I lol-ed

you tried to pass a video on the heat as the history of the entire league as if they were relevant to anything until recently... if he believes that then hey he needs to start with picture books.

I'm sorry that my words were so damning to your book choice

Commercial's will be difficult to get used to considering how little I'm used to.

That's is really cool.
I think its a problem in many sports that the big teams will always find a way to stay on top regardless of the rules.

That wasn't completely correct. You don't pay a tax for going over the salary cap. You pay a tax for going over the Luxury tax.

for instance, the NBA salary cap is like $58 million but the Luxury tax is $70 million.

You can go over the $58 cap using exceptions (like pay raises for your own player and a $5 million exception if you're over the cap).

Once you hit $70 mil, then you pay a tax. Right now it's 1 for 1, but starting in 2013-14 it will be $1.25 the first $5 million (pr dollar) and rise every $5 million. teams over the tax for 3 years in a row or 4 out of 5 pay an extra $0.50 for every level (repeater tax). This is new, it used to only be 1 for 1 all the time.

Also, you have less exceptions over the luxury tax. The new luxury tax system is already affecting some teams, like New York who let some players leave. Curious to see how it will be in 3 more years.

Both the cap and luxury tax rise as revenues rise each year.

edit: There are also restrictions on salaries. Max and minimums, max raises and bonuses, a lot dependent on how many years the player has been in the league and whether you're changing teams or not.

2010 Lakers
2006 Heat
2009 Magic
2011 Mavericks
2012 Heat

2010 Lakers
2011 Mavs
2012 Heat
2006 Heat
2009 Magic

in that order. IMO.

The 2010 Magic were better. That Celtics series was bullshit.

tumblr_m8jybouGhm1qe1x8qo1_1280.jpg

I don't think so. Last year they had the series under control...until game 4. Then we all know what happened.

The heat team this year was more mature and poised, would have beaten last year's dallas team

I don't agree, but it's 55/45 for me, so it's not a big deal. (edit: I actually think 2011 Miami was better than 2012, so there's that too)

Also, Salvadore, great place to look at team salaries and player contracts here: http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp

Not everything updated yet for the upcoming season, but he's getting there.

(edit: I actually think 2011 Miami was better than 2012, so there's that too)

I would really like an explanation for this

Are you saying they would have been better if LeBron didn't shit his pants in the finals?

I do remember that Wade was ballin' till game 6. He really didn't have a great playoffs

I would really like an explanation for this

Are you saying they would have been better if LeBron didn't shit his pants in the finals?

i had been saying all year last season I felt Miami was worse. Just everyone better got worse, too. Wade was worse, which was the main culprit, along with their frontline after Bosh (and Battier was ass all year long, as was Miller).

Lebron shits his pants this year against 2011 Dallas, too. Maybe even moreso. Impossible to know for sure, of course. I'm not going to let a stretch of 3-4 games in each season sway a season's worth of play.

No way 2010 Lakers are better than either Heat team. No way. I would probably take Dallas over them as well.

lol. 2010 wasn't a strong team, but it was certainly better than Dallas. And 2006 Heat team was the weakest team to win a title in who knows how long. 2012 ccouldn't pull it off, either, IMO.

Whatever, 2009 would have killed all those teams.

Salvadora

That wasn't completely correct. You don't pay a tax for going over the salary cap. You pay a tax for going over the Luxury tax.

for instance, the NBA salary cap is like $58 million but the Luxury tax is $70 million.

You can go over the $58 cap using exceptions (like pay raises for your own player and a $5 million exception if you're over the cap).

Once you hit $70 mil, then you pay a tax. Right now it's 1 for 1, but starting in 2013-14 it will be $1.25 the first $5 million (pr dollar) and rise every $5 million. teams over the tax for 3 years in a row or 4 out of 5 pay an extra $0.50 for every level (repeater tax). This is new, it used to only be 1 for 1 all the time.

Also, you have less exceptions over the luxury tax. The new luxury tax system is already affecting some teams, like New York who let some players leave. Curious to see how it will be in 3 more years.

Both the cap and luxury tax rise as revenues rise each year.

edit: There are also restrictions on salaries. Max and minimums, max raises and bonuses, a lot dependent on how many years the player has been in the league and whether you're changing teams or not.

Also, Salvadore, great place to look at team salaries and player contracts here: http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/index.jsp

Not everything updated yet for the upcoming season, but he's getting there.
Thanks for all the help. I'm finding this very interesting.

Wait.....are you telling me that LeBron this year is "maybe" worse than LeBron last year?

No, he wasn't. But if 2012 Lebron had to face 2011 Mavs exactly as they were (including Dirk and Kidd never having chipped), Lebron's mind might be full of fuck. The demons.

That Dallas team had no fear of Lebron. And I don't think they liked him or the Heat much at all. But all this is speculative, of course.

I think the 2011 team was stronger, mostly because of how much Wade got worse.

Bron was less shook this year. Did anyone else notice him taking deep breathes almost every time the camera was on him, even before tip off, not exhausted type breathing but the nerve calming technique. Wouldn't surprise me if he researched other such things to keep his nerves in check.

Plus Durant/Harden are too fresh to talk smack like Marion. They're just not about that life. I'm really interested in seeing Bron play a team close to as good as Miami with a real shit talker guarding him at least a portion of the time.

No, he wasn't. But if 2012 Lebron had to face 2011 Mavs exactly as they were (including Dirk and Kidd never having chipped), Lebron's mind might be full of fuck. The demons.

I think LeBron's game 6 against the Celtics (yes, even though it was only the ECF) showed his mental growth. that was a fluky game as far as how hot he was from the perimeter, but he's been in the same situation against the same boston core in the same arena and had this happen to him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJl-0TML4i4

i found a link to this too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ykRWJvZ7Q&feature=related

I was in the building for that game. it was fun

Triple U

Banned
I don't see how you say Lebron of this year would have crapped himself against that mav team. The difference between this year and last year is that when his jumper was off(like it was this finals) he would post up or drive. Last year he would want no parts of the ball.

OKC is probably a better more athletic defense than that maverick team also.

Bron was less shook this year. Did anyone else notice him taking deep breathes almost every time the camera was on him, even before tip off, not exhausted type breathing but the nerve calming technique. Wouldn't surprise me if he researched other such things to keep his nerves in check.

Plus Durant/Harden are too fresh to talk smack like Marion. They're just not about that life. I'm really interested in seeing Bron play a team close to as good as Miami with a real shit talker guarding him at least a portion of the time.

I feel like most of the shit talkers in the league now are role players. All the superstars are too buddy buddy with each other

masud

Banned
Salvador being a Knick fan builds character. Being a Laker fan would be like me choosing Man U as my team.... Don't do it bro.

Plus Knicks age runs this thread on the low...

SamuraiX-

Has anyone seen The Bourne Legacy? Trailers made it look like it was awesome and I love me some Bourne, but RT has it hovering around 50%.

What's InsularGAF's opinion?

Fjordson

ah thats cool. i guess youre the only one repping? is basketball even big in sf? i know nothing about san fran that isnt related to tech startups
Sorry for taking long to respond.

I think it's pretty big. I mean, the Warriors aren't great, so there's a lot of Laker fans and fans of other teams around here, but I'd say there's a decent number of Warriors fans. Wouldn't say as many as the Niners or Giants, though, considering their recent successes. And it's died down since 2007 when the Warriors were actually decent and had that crazy upset over Dallas in the playoffs.

What's nice is that Oracle Arena isn't far from downtown SF, so I try to catch at least 6-7 games a year. Will be interesting to see if everything goes through for their proposed move to San Francisco by 2017. Hopefully SF supports them (and hopefully they aren't still bad).

Puddles

Banned
Shhhhhhh don't ruin the lakers fans 2013 championship celebration with reality.

Kobe was actually pretty damn good last season when he wasn't playing hero ball. We were like two Kobe TO's away from going up 3-1 on the eventual WC champions.

With Nash and Dwight, as well as hopefully some soul-searching and a recognition of his own limitations, there should be a lot less of that hero ball this season.

shira

Kobe was actually pretty damn good last season when he wasn't playing hero ball. We were like two Kobe TO's away from going up 3-1 on the eventual WC champions.

With Nash and Dwight, as well as hopefully some soul-searching and a recognition of his own limitations, there should be a lot less of that hero ball this season.
I can't see Kobe deferring to anyone. Nash apparently doesn't take those kinds of shots and Dwight can be erratic at the ft line

Puddles

Banned
The 2012 Heat would eviscerate the 2010 Lakers easily. The 2011 team too actually.

No way in hell.

Kobe was still good enough to match LeBron, and Metta was better back then. Pau and Bynum would overwhelm the Heat's frontcourt, and Fisher hadn't reached "Derek Fisher is so old! Retire!" phase yet.

2010 Lakers in 7.

2009 Lakers in 5.

2001 Lakers in a sweep.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
No way in hell.

Kobe was still good enough to match LeBron, and Metta was better back then. Pau and Bynum would overwhelm the Heat's frontcourt, and Fisher hadn't reached "Derek Fisher is so old! Retire!" phase yet.

2010 Lakers in 7.

2009 Lakers in 5.

2001 Lakers in a sweep.

bwaha

and derek fisher has been "Derek Fisher is so old! Retire!" since 2007

2009 Lakers were dramatically better than 2010 Lakers but 2012 Heat beat both teams.

2010 Lakers were just bad.

2009 Lakers were actually good but Bynum wasn't really good at all nor was he healthy then so the Heat would take it. If you could somehow put 2012 Bynum on that 2009 Lakers team they'd win though.

This is what I'm hoping for as well. Kobe needs to let Nash do his thing. If that happens, I think we're good to go.

I'd rank them like this:

2008 Celtics
2011 Mavs
2009 Lakers
2012 Heat
2010 Lakers

This is based on the quality of their regular and post season performances, not so much who would beat who in a series. I'd put my money on 2008 and 2011 Mavs as the teams who would kill everyone else.

People are sleeping on 2011 Mavs. That team was really good. People say a Bron that shows up beats that team but shit...it's no coincidence that 2012 Bron almost got beat by the C'z. A good team defense combined with a DPOY caliber big gets him shook.

People are sleeping on 2011 Mavs. That team was really good. People say a Bron that shows up beats that team but shit...it's no coincidence that 2012 Bron almost got beat by the C'z. A good team defense combined with a DPOY caliber big gets him shook.

An injury to Chris Bosh for over half the series doesn't matter apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom