• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
9g6ewy.gif

Almost choked to death on my water.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
People make fun of Wall but shit..he was 16, 8 and 5 in his second season which was a lockout year with our shitstain of a roster and overcoming his rookie year injury woes. Shit...he's got a stronger PER than Iggy, and if you want to talk about FG percentages he shot better than D-Will last year.

He'll be fine this season. He's gotten stronger and tightened up his handle a bit given what I've seen of him this summer. He doesn't even need to become a good shooter to be an effective scorer this year, he just needs to learn how to take advantage of screens better and look to draw contact more than avoid it.

With a healthy front court there's definitely a floor to how bad they can be, probably 30 wins at worst.

Wall looks like a damned good point guard from numbers alone. Then you see him play and remember that you can't fix pussy.

Sac Phoenix Houston Charlotte Washington Toronto Detroit Orlando

25% of the league are tank bros, either by accident or intentionally. Charlotte simply had a banner year in regards to tanking.

Washington is definitely not tanking. They've set themselves up to be the 9th best team out east pretending to make a run or the 8th seed.

Wall, Arizam Okafor, Nene. That ain't tanking. Ain't good either, but ain't tanking.

Phx doesn't really want to tank, they will just be hurt by being out west. But they won't be as bad as the others (besides Wash) on that list.

Sacramento will try to win, they just don't know how.

Wall looks like a damned good point guard from numbers alone. Then you see him play and remember that you can't fix pussy.

Wall needs to figure out that he won't explode if he slows down occasionally...

also needs to stop making Rondo look like Reggie Miller in terms of shooting.

Dude hit like 4 3's all year right?

DY_nasty

Washington is definitely not tanking. They've set themselves up to be the 9th best team out east pretending to make a run or the 8th seed.

Wall, Arizam Okafor, Nene. That ain't tanking. Ain't good either, but ain't tanking.

Phx doesn't really want to tank, they will just be hurt by being out west. But they won't be as bad as the others (besides Wash) on that list.

Sacramento will try to win, they just don't know how.

Seriously

I don't even know what the fuck their plan is because all of the guys that they just brought in were replacements for guys that they drafted and already heavily invested in. Seraphim took a couple of solid strides last year - bury him behind Okafor. Vesely is your project - stick an eight year project with a stupid contract in front of him too. At best, they'll get the honor of being swept by the Heat and getting to see Wade dougie all over Wall on their home floor.

Teams that go from clear tanking and rebuild mode to jumping the gun with a host of bad contracts and guys that simply aren't good enough for no reason other than to feel better about themselves in the short term only set themselves back another 2-3 years.

h3ro

No fricking way I'd trade Michael Kay for Kellerman (and I like Kellerman).

You should be kicked outta New York for that remark.

Kay is hot kaka. Cowherd is turrible.

Kellerman played Wu and talked incessantly about bodega egg & cheese bagels.

I'd even give up anyone on NY radio besides Francessa to get Kellerman back.

SamuraiX-

Are you guys serious about the Bucks? I just realized the Hawks signed Lou Williams. He can take up some of JJs scoring.

Teague
Lou/Morrow
Korver
Smoove
Horford

is better than

Jennings
Monta
Dunleavy
Gooden
Dalembert

It's honestly a toss up between those two. The Bucks will fuckball themselves all the way into the 8th seed spot and proceed to be swept. Hawks are a better playoff team but freeing themselves from the shackles of JJ might come with a price. Korver and Lou should never start for any team in this league.

Kay is hot kaka. Cowherd is turrible.

Kellerman played Wu and talked incessantly about bodega egg & cheese bagels.

I'd even give up anyone on NY radio besides Francessa to get Kellerman back.

His Wu references are nice, You got guns? We got guns too, what up son, you wanna battle for cash and see who sons who?

Seriously

I don't even know what the fuck their plan is because all of the guys that they just brought in were replacements for guys that they drafted and already heavily invested in. Seraphim took a couple of solid strides last year - bury him behind Okafor. Vesely is your project - stick an eight year project with a stupid contract in front of him too. At best, they'll get the honor of being swept by the Heat and getting to see Wade dougie all over Wall on their home floor.

Teams that go from clear tanking and rebuild mode to jumping the gun with a host of bad contracts and guys that simply aren't good enough for no reason other than to feel better about themselves in the short term only set themselves back another 2-3 years.

I might have preferred tanking again but we've gotten a 1st overall and a 3rd overall...you can only tank so hard. If we tanked again we'd be good for 6th or so, and if it means getting a Jan Vesely caliber scrub then yea, we ain't about dat life.

Vesely and Seraphim aren't that good anyway, so their development is pretty irrelevant. Better to give Beal and Wall some exposure and some sense of winning so that when Okafor and Ariza come off the books we might actually be able to attract real talent.

Wall needs to figure out that he won't explode if he slows down occasionally...

also needs to stop making Rondo look like Reggie Miller in terms of shooting.

Dude hit like 4 3's all year right?

I don't really know wtf happened in year 2--I think it was bad coaching advice. Wall was a bad shooter as a rook but he had more confidence and actually won us games with 3pt shots. IIRC he was shooting around 40% from the top of the 3pt line ( around like 20 from everywhere else though lol).

Somewhere in year 2 he decided to literally not even try anymore, which is crazy because he was right on track to becoming an average shooter...which is all he needs to be with his driving game.

Seriously

Fully agree. I'd rather be the Bobcats, Rockets, or Detroit right now. At least Detroit's shitty contracts are almost done.

Washington's plan makes no sense to me.

thekad

Banned
I think Dark Faze is closer to right here. I'm always a big proponent of tanking, but the Wiz already got Wall and Beal. Might as well see if they can be the #1 and #2 guys for a few years and win some games while they develop. If they're not the stars they were looking for then flush the team down the toilet and try(tank) again.

If the Rockets don't tank this year (they won't; fuck Morey), then I would probably rather be the Wizards.

Raziel

5 players from the lakers last season dont have jobs in the nba, currently

Dave McMenamin Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten

Lakers players from 2011-12 still looking for work in 2012-13: Derek Fisher, Matt Barnes, Troy Murphy, Jason Kapono, Derrick Caracter

Sac Phoenix Houston Charlotte Washington Toronto Detroit Orlando

25% of the league are tank bros, either by accident or intentionally. Charlotte simply had a banner year in regards to tanking.

Only Orlando, Charlotte and maybe Houston are actually tanking; Sacramento, Phoenix, Toronto and Detroit don't know how.

DY_nasty

I think Dark Faze is closer to right here. I'm always a big proponent of tanking, but the Wiz already got Wall and Beal. Might as well see if they can be the #1 and #2 guys for a few years and win some games while they develop. If they're not the stars they were looking for then flush the team down the toilet and try(tank) again.

If the Rockets don't tank this year (they won't; fuck Morey), then I would probably rather be the Wizards.
It'd be one thing if they added a Lamarcus Aldridge or something but that is definitely not the case. They got Nene, Okafor, and Ariza - that ain't getting you anywhere.

And yup, Houston's real offer was shit

Many assumed that the Rockets' three first-round picks from this year's draft -- guard Jeremy Lamb and forwards Royce White and Terrence Jones -- would be made available in a Howard deal. But sources close to the Magic said Lamb was the only such prospect offered, and that he was off the table by the time the talks involved the Lakers and Lamb had impressed at the Las Vegas summer league in July (he averaged 20 points in five games). Meanwhile, unwanted players like Gary Forbes, Jon Brockman and Marcus Morris were made available (along with shooting guard Kevin Martin, whose expiring $12.9 million contract was a must to make the money work).

Nelo Ice

Banned
That has to be true as there would be no other reason for Hennigan not to take the offer.

Makes sense to me and Hennigan did put in the work to make the math work so there's also that. Yeah that's why he should've traded Dwight asap since the outcome played right into Mitch's hands.

Fatalah

I had called into Kellerman enough times that he began remembering my calls, and I never call into shows! I don't understand why he's not around anymore!

h3ro

I had called into Kellerman enough times that he began remembering my calls, and I never call into shows! I don't understand why he's not around anymore!

Kellerman & Kenney was amazing.

He's out in LA now doing a show with Marcellus Wiley. Would love to have him back in NY. Loved his baseball and basketball analysis. Really looked at the facts, ignored hyperbole (except for when it came to extolling the excellence of the Yanquis) and was a far cry from the regular mouth breathers yelling C'MON BRO for hours on end on WFAN and ESPN Radio.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Wonder what might have happened if the Clips never traded their pick for Mo fucking Williams.

Or if they were patient last year and didn't trade Gordon when the Hornets had zero leverage. And hell trading their first rounder for Baron freaking Davis the year before.

squicken

Hennigan, who is widely known as the humble sort and only agreed to be interviewed for this story after extensive prodding,

Also a little confused on exactly what HOU offered

The offerings from Houston, sources said, weren't as plentiful as previously believed either. In both the two-team talks with Houston and three-team discussions that involved the Lakers and would have sent center Andrew Bynum to the Rockets, sources said Houston was offering only two first-round picks. From Houston's perspective, however, the comparative value of the picks far outweighed anything available to the Magic elsewhere and it had been made clear that a third pick could be added "if it got the deal done."

On the Rockets' side, meanwhile, sources said the message had been sent that the Magic could have one or possibly two prospects from a pool that included Morris, Patrick Patterson, Lamb, Jones, White and Donatas Motiejunas. Houston offered significant salary-cap relief, but, as had been the case on the topic of young players, never in the form that the Magic wanted.

So HOU offered 3 first round picks? Or offered two players from Patterson, White, Donatas,Lamb, or Jones? Let's say it was the Dallas pick, HOU's #1, and the TOR pick, plus K-Mart's expiring deal. How is that not better than what they eventually got?

Dwight even said that Hennigan ran the deal by him. For whatever reason they were sending him where he wanted to go

Kyrie, Blake, Eric Gordon... possibly no Vinny...

oh well

Having Kyrie/Gordon/Blake on a rook deals would have given them room to get another nice piece....lol whatevs.

Their salaries would have been a combined 14.7 mil....or 46% more than what they're currently paying DeAndre Jordan and DeAndre Jordan alone.

shira

Vyer

Also a little confused on exactly what HOU offered

So HOU offered 3 first round picks? Or offered two players from Patterson, White, Donatas,Lamb, or Jones? Let's say it was the Dallas pick, HOU's #1, and the TOR pick, plus K-Mart's expiring deal. How is that not better than what they eventually got?

Dwight even said that Hennigan ran the deal by him. For whatever reason they were sending him where he wanted to go

Yeah, even at the end that's still at least one lottery pick, one of those young guys, an expiring, other picks...I don't see how that's worse than the shit Orlando went with.

Not too mention had they actually moved earlier, it's pretty clear they could have had quite a bit that the Rockets were trying to move, including Lamb. It just got worse the longer Dwight sat there.

Rehab guy doesn't sound very good. But it looks like it has not been an easy rehab - sounds painful as it should be.

Can't really tell anything without seeing him walk. Would be so funny if it was the Adidas shoes he's wearing causing the injuries.

Those were his new shoes right?

KingJ2002

5 players from the lakers last season dont have jobs in the nba, currently

I would love for Fish to make a Laker comeback and replace Steve Blake... but at this point... he probably should call it a career.

Matt Barnes arrest fucked up his career.

Andrew Bynum's facebook said:
"It's going to be a lot more exciting and a lot more fun to know that everything's going to be run through me" - Andrew Bynum on now playing for the 76ers

are you fucking serious!? i was tolerant before but goddamn i want to see this guy fail, and fail hard >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom