• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
D12 going off and then a Nash Pau PnR fest all day

Yep, our offense is going to just be an absolute nightmare to defend.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/the-inbounds-nash-howard-and-an-impossible-sword/

The Nash-Howard dynamic on the floor is the most dangerous element the Lakers will have in play. Kobe Bryant is still an elite scorer. Pau Gasol and Steve Nash will have a fantastic mastery of the pick and pop set. But Nash-Howard, long before the Lakers entered the picture, was the perfect combination. A point guard who can deliver the ball to any point on the floor combined with the most athletic big man with excellent feel for the pick and roll spacing. If you cover the roll, Nash shoots, and he shoots 55 percent from that situation. Bring help and either Gasol has a mid-range jumper or Bryant is open on the cut or catch. It’s the BFG of offense.

If the Lakers are healthy, and there’s no personality conflict, the league is in trouble. Because if they’re not unguardable, they’ll be as close as it gets.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It matters if your starting talent is virtually all you have. Lakers fans are touting Antawn Jamison as some kind of savior who will solve all of their bench scoring issues.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit.
That's like saying Maynor is the key to a chip... Sheeeeeeeeeit

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
It matters if your starting talent is virtually all you have. Lakers fans are touting Antawn Jamison as some kind of savior who will solve all of their bench scoring issues.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

But the Lakers starting talent is ridiculous. Not only are they fucking good, but they are experienced. Kobe and Nash will forever keep that team hungry for a chip.

Blackace

I never said that.

I said he would help, which is undeniable.
I doubt many sane Laker fans have said anything different about Jamison which is also undeniable he will be a scoring asset off the bench..

Fish was also playing an inordinate number of minutes in that series. Getting Maynor back should help a lot, and will tilt the bench factor way in OKC's favor.

And everyone always forgets how much this team has improved each year because of simple player development. Next year's Thunder should be better, too.

The gameplan will be to attack the rim and try to get Dwight in foul trouble--and in case you haven't noticed, our guys are pretty good at penetrating and drawing fouls.

OKC's young guys will be slightly better just due to time in the league, but they're standing pat outside of that and The Lakers brought in Nash who will be a huge boon to the offense while bringing the team D down to Fisher levels but then compensated for that by bringing in the leagues best defensive player whose offense should be elevated due to Nash.

OKC can attack the basket well, but they won games relying heavily on their mid range game. Trying to attack Dwight inside isn't a very smart move imo.

Blackace

OKC can attack the basket well, but they won games relying heavily on their mid range game. Trying to attack Dwight inside isn't a very smart move imo.
relying on flopping VS a star studded team is never a good gameplan in the NBA

KingGondo

Banned
But the Lakers starting talent is ridiculous. Not only are they fucking good, but they are experienced. Kobe and Nash will forever keep that team hungry for a chip.
It is, and I'm not denying that they'll be tough to beat (if healthy). But I also don't think we should be crowning their asses before the season even starts.

The Spurs were crowned (even by me) after game 2 of the WCF, and we saw what happened.

The Lakers can definitely be beaten if LeBron is hot or if YNB is ridiculously hot or if Duncan plays defense like he did against the Clippers or Jazz in the playoffs or if there are injuries to any of the Lakers' top 4. However, it's hard to see them not as the favorite when Pau Gasol is their 4th best player.

Triple U

Banned
OKC's young guys will be slightly better just due to time in the league, but they're standing pat outside of that and The Lakers brought in Nash who will be a huge boon to the offense while bringing the team D down to Fisher levels but then compensated for that by bringing in the leagues best defensive player whose offense should be elevated due to Nash.

With the way he gets into foul trouble at times? I would certainly give it a shot.

Blackace

The Lakers can definitely be beaten if LeBron is hot or if YNB is ridiculously hot or if Duncan plays defense like he did against the Clippers or Jazz in the playoffs or if there are injuries to any of the Lakers' top 4. However, it's hard to see them not as the favorite when Pau Gasol is their 4th best player.
I think the Heat are better designed to beat the Lakers because they have sooo much range and the Lakers will have poor D in that area..

With the way he gets into foul trouble at times? I would certainly give it a shot.

They can risk their possessions going against Dwight inside, but YNB could just as easily end up putting his own dumbass self in foul trouble.

And they'd still have Nash/Kobe/Pau to deal with on the other side of the court. Ibaka/YNB will make a decent amount of mistakes trying to guard PnR.

Everything always comes back to YNB being an idiot.

Smokey

Where do the rockets fit in this conversation

Lin leading the rockets as a 8th seed over the 1 seed lakers would meltdown gaf to a unbelievable level usually reserved for e3

Lin leading the rockets as a 8th seed over the 1 seed lakers would meltdown gaf to a unbelievable level usually reserved for e3

Never happening.

Rockets would have to be not shitty enough to be an 8 seed. This ain't the east son.

Rockets have always given the Lakers a hard time. Dwights addition has erased the fragile shatterpoint they had which was ByNumb and Gasoft tho.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

It will be the Nuggets who knock out the Lakers. McGee + Iggy + Karl can't be stopped. The greatest New York Knickerbocker of all time will also put up MVP caliber numbers (and I mean real MVP caliber, not Kobe numbers).

Honestly, I don't think benches amount to shit for championship teams outside of a 6th man quality type player (Manu, Odom, et al). Everybody else is a statistical anomaly.

This.

You basically have your starting 5 and then 2 key subs in the playoffs. There might be 7-9 guys playing but you can pretty much interchange 8 and 9 easily. 1-6 matters 90%

Lakers will get swept by the Spurs. Popovich makes Mike Brown look like well Mike Brown. Mike Brown gets fired after and Jim Buss gets Sloan
Phil lol
and starts the Lakers-Heat finals rivalry

Honestly, I don't think benches amount to shit for championship teams outside of a 6th man quality type player (Manu, Odom, et al). Everybody else is a statistical anomaly.

Also true. Having some bench guys can help in certain situations, but it almost always comes down to Top 6-8.

LA's six is D12, Nash, Kobe, Pau, Metta, Jamison. Hill and Meeks for backup.
Not a lot of weakness in that lineup.

Also, Westbrook's IQ vs Nash may be hard to watch for OKC fans.

Only in 2K13

For the playoffs with better players/defenders around him? Not wise.
Pau can still play some D inside even if sonned.

The Heat's top 7 will probably be James, Wade, Bosh, Allen, Chalmers, Battier, Haslem. If Jesus Miller hasn't completely broken his spine by then he's a useful 8th. but Ray is going to have to be Jesus and Mario can't be Wario.

Smokey

Yeah rockets will be lucky to win 15-18 games this year. Kind of interested to see just how bad they will be.

But my other team THE Miami Heat are poised to get that second ship. It would kill Lakers-age to have lebron defeat their super team.

Hurts to admit but there comes a time where the line has to be drawn and sides to be chosen.

He turned Jax and Diaw and Green into high level role players.

pops also blew a 2-0 lead against the thunder.

Yeah rockets will be lucky to win 15-18 games this year. Kind of interested to see just how bad they will be.

But my other team THE Miami Heat are poised to get that second ship. It would kill Lakers-age to have lebron defeat their super team.

Hurts to admit but there comes a time where the line has to be drawn and sides to be chosen.
you chose poorly

I'm interested in seeing how the Ray dynamic ends up working out...I've got the feeling that dude is kind of a closet douchebag who appears professional on the surface but gets salty as hell. The whole playing for Miami thing is still puzzling to me and if he thought that he wasn't seeing the ball enough in Boston then I'm not sure how his ego is going to take D.Wade/Bron levels of immaturity and how much those guys have the ball in their hands.

Lamar Odom effect?

Also Brandon Jennings wants an extension. Are they really going to commit to this core for another few years instead of tanking? When they had Bogut there was at least the dream that something could be built...but they can't really be serious about a Jennings/Ellis core can they?

Why does ESPN have the Celtics finishing 2nd in the East this year when they were below .500 until KG had a miraculous turnaround and finished 5th in the East last year even with their miracles?

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Also Brandon Jennings wants an extension. Are they really going to commit to this core for another few years instead of tanking? When they had Bogut there was at least the dream that something could be built...but they can't really be serious about a Jennings/Ellis core can they?

Ellis can opt out after this season. At most, he's there this year and one more.

Also, Jennings sucks.

Why does ESPN have the Celtics finishing 2nd in the East this year when they were below .500 until KG had a miraculous turnaround and finished 5th in the East last year even with their miracles?

jared-sullinger.jpg

I'm interested in seeing how the Ray dynamic ends up working out...I've got the feeling that dude is kind of a closet douchebag who appears professional on the surface but gets salty as hell. The whole playing for Miami thing is still puzzling to me and if he thought that he wasn't seeing the ball enough in Boston then I'm not sure how his ego is going to take D.Wade/Bron levels of immaturity and how much those guys have the ball in their hands.

They have the ball a lot but they love to pass to outside shooters, and he won't have to run around 30 illegal KG screens to get open, he's going to get so many walk in 3s and open 3s just by hanging around the perimeter.

He won't ever handle the ball but he is probably getting 6-10 shots a night

I agree in general but disagree with regard to this specific Laker team. There are going to be too many stretches with Nash and Kobe on the bench for that to be the case. If both of them are out you're counting on Blake (!) or Meeks (!!!!!!) to initiate offense in the post. Is that really going to fly at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th when Kobe and Nash are out for an extended period? Dwight is basically going to be back in Orlando when that happens and Pau will be right there with him. If the Lakers can't score for five solid minutes every game, there will be a problem.

And if that situation doesn't come into play, Kobe and Nash will be locked into playing way too many minutes. It's manageable throughout the game up until that point, but we all know they both want/need that segment of the game to rest.

I think the Laker bench is at best neutral and at worst can play a slight role in costing them a playoff series.

In closing: Mike Brown.

I agree in general but disagree with regard to this specific Laker team. There are going to be too many stretches with Nash and Kobe on the bench for that to be the case. If both of them are out you're counting on Blake (!) or Meeks (!!!!!!) to initiate offense in the post. Is that really going to fly at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th when Kobe and Nash are out for an extended period? Dwight is basically going to be back in Orlando when that happens and Pau will be right there with him. If the Lakers can't score for five solid minutes every game, there will be a problem.

And if that situation doesn't come into play, Kobe and Nash will be locked into playing way too many minutes. It's manageable throughout the game up until that point, but we all know they both want/need that segment of the game to rest.

I think the Laker bench is at best neutral and at worst can play a slight role in costing them a playoff series.

In closing: Mike Brown.

That's only a problem if Nash and Kobe rest at the same time, I think even Mike Brown isn't that dumb. Nash can get easy buckets for scrubs, we'll have to get it from Jamison/Hill since there's no reliable 3 point threat, maybe Meeks.

Nash rests first Kobe then dominates the ball and you swap them with Meeks at the 2 with Dwight or Pau and JHill.

The top 8 for LA can be mixed and matched decently with how many bigs LA has.

mhi

Laker's perimeter defense will be covered by Howard (See nelson,j-rich, hedo, and ryan). The strategy will be to get Howard in foul trouble.

But the biggest for their offense is Mike Brown has to put the ball in Nash's hands (while the rest of the team at least tries to get open) instead of dumping it to Kobe like they did last yr whenever their offense broke down (which was often).

Edit: Where do you seed the 76ers with Bynum ?

That's only a problem if Nash and Kobe rest at the same time, I think even Mike Brown isn't that dumb. Nash can get easy buckets for scrubs, we'll have to get it from Jamison/Hill since there's no reliable 3 point threat, maybe Meeks.

Nash rests first Kobe then dominates the ball and you swap them with Meeks at the 2 with Dwight or Pau and JHill.

The top 8 for LA can be mixed and matched decently with how many bigs LA has.

That is definitely the case for majority of the game. But what happens with 2 minutes left in the 3rd when Nash exits to work on his back and Kobe sits to ice his knee? Neither of them will be in the game until well into the 4th. And if either of them does enter, they'll be playing too many minutes because that is the best period to maximize their rest. And you know Kobe/Nash won't rest early in the third because it'll mean they're out late in the fourth.

You think Durant is going to sit for that stretch? YNB? LeBron? It'll be a chance for every young team in the league to make up ground or stretch their lead.

That is definitely the case for majority of the game. But what happens with 2 minutes left in the 3rd when Nash exits to work on his back and Kobe sits to ice his knee? Neither of them will be in the game until well into the 4th. And if either of them does enter, they'll be playing too many minutes because that is the best period to maximize their rest. And you know Kobe/Nash won't rest early in the third because it'll mean they're out late in the fourth.

You think Durant is going to sit for that stretch? YNB? LeBron? It'll be a chance for every young team in the league to make up ground or stretch their lead.

Last year LA's bench always gave up leads or widened margins, Jamison/Meeks are not very good, but much better than Glock/McRoberts and if you can keep Dwight in the bench will merely be slapped around instead of sodomized like last year. That's enough to get a W most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom