• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

Chris Sheridan's site lmao.

Yeah, figured it was nothing, but the twitters were blowin up. *shurg*

Now that the Rockets have cleared space with the Scola amnesty, how long before something further develops on that front? That seems like the deal that's there to be made. Morey's willing to give up everything/anything at this point.

thekad

Banned
Pretty sure Dwight to Houston is just a matter of time. Just have to wait a week until Asik and Lin's offer sheets are signed and matched.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lin would have insane expectations no matter where he goes, especially with the ridic offers being thrown at him

These ridiculous offers are all an insult too. Lin is worth more money than almost every other player in the league. Paying him 15 mil doesn't mean shit when he's selling out your arena every night and jerseys are flying off the shelves across the globe.

squicken

Pretty sure Dwight to Houston is just a matter of time. Just have to wait a week until Asik and Lin's offer sheets are signed and matched.

Well if Bynum would agree to an extension w/ Orlando then it would be a done deal immediately. HOU doesn't need LA to trade for Howard now that it amnesty'd Scola. But LA doesn't need HOU if Bynum will extend.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well if Bynum would agree to an extension w/ Orlando then it would be a done deal immediately. HOU doesn't need LA to trade for Howard now that it amnesty'd Scola. But LA doesn't need HOU if Bynum will extend.

And if not that it seem sit'll boil down to does Orlando want the best player available or the best package available. Also what happens if Houston somehow ends up getting both Lin and Asik?

thekad

Banned
These ridiculous offers are all an insult too. Lin is worth more money than almost every other player in the league. Paying him 15 mil doesn't mean shit when he's selling out your arena every night and jerseys are flying off the shelves across the globe.

That'd be true if there weren't a salary cap, but you can't spend 30% of your cap room on an average point guard and expect to contend.

This ridiculous offers are all an insult too. Lin is worth more money than almost every other player in the league. Paying him 15 mil doesn't mean shit when he's selling out your arena every night and jerseys are flying off the shelves across the globe.

i dont know if youre being sarcastic or not but i dont see how jersey and ticket sales translate to wins. i like lin but if knicks match him and he fails to perform, all criticism towards him is appropriate

Don't need Dwight. I seriously hope he goes somewhere else. He's #1 on my shit list now, took Wade's spot. Just a selfish d-bag type of dude that always needs the spotlight on him. How can anyone like him now after all this wavering and indecision and what he's done to Orlando. Hope you rot in Houston.

Pimpwerx

Linsanity is gonna die eventually. I assume after we get to expose him a few more times next season. Jianliansanity died the same way. PEACE.

Don't need Dwight. I seriously hope he goes somewhere else. He's #1 on my shit list now, took Wade's spot. Just a selfish d-bag type of dude that always needs the spotlight on him. How can anyone like him now after all this wavering and indecision and what he's done to Orlando. Hope you rot in Houston.
yes you need him if you want to compete with Heat.

Linsanity is here to stay. Dude can play, period. I see him putting up 15 & 7 dimes this year with an upside of the high teens, maybe 17-18 ppg but most likely around 15.

i dont know if youre being sarcastic or not but i dont see how jersey and ticket sales translate to wins. i like lin but if knicks match him and he fails to perform, all criticism towards him is appropriate
Contracts aren't always about wins. Most of these franchises are in it for the money...

DY_nasty

That'd be true if there weren't a salary cap, but you can't spend 30% of your cap room on an average point guard and expect to contend.
Wins?

Knicks made more money than the Heat last year. dat bottomline is a factor.

yes you need him if you want to compete with Heat.

Nope. Nash completely changed the dynamic of this team. After what 16 years in the league Kobe finally has a worthy starting point guard, an all-star at that. 16 years without a quality point guard, jesus.

Ray Allen's done, he'll be injured by the time the playoffs roll around. I'm not worried about that team.

Edit- and Rashard Lewis is a shell of his former self.

SamuraiX-

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
More amnesty scuttle: I'm told Charlotte, New Orleans and Sacramento all have levels of Scola interest and weighing whether to lodge bids

This team really is fucking clueless.

squicken

And if not that it seem sit'll boil down to does Orlando want the best player available or the best package available. Also what happens if Houston somehow ends up getting both Lin and Asik?

I'm not sure. Even taking back Howard and all of ORL's garbage HOU was still going to have room for a FA max deal next year. And the local press says it was never going to be an option for HOU to take back all those bad deals. Definitely Richardson and then whoever ORL most wanted gone from Big Baby, Hedo, and Duhon

How much did the Heat really improve? Think about it. Rashard Lewis isn't even worth mentioning, he's that bad now. So they got Ray Allen, a really nice pick-up but odds are he'll be injured and who knows how that'll work out sharing shots between 4 guys like that, it's not a guarantee.

Steve Nash on the other hand is one of the biggest gets ever. He's team-changing, he's got such a huge impact on your team. It's no comparison IMO (in terms of improvements in the off-season), Lakers are a better team now. They probably would've took the heat to 6 or 7 games last year and that's without Nash.

DY_nasty

what does this have to do with having expectations for lin to play well?

I was talking more on the contract thing than anything else. Some teams treat winning as a secondary goal. The amount of cash that Lin generates is insane. He's worth more as a mascot than as a player.

SamuraiX-

Jimmer saying just fuck it and doing his thing means jacking up 30 shots a game on a team featuring Cousins and Tyreke.

He's not ready to die yet. Hell, he just got his first wife.

lol

I'm honestly just grasping at straws at this point. I think what it really comes down to is the fact that we're stuck with horrible owners, management, and coaches that don't give a crap about developing players or this team. I want to believe Jimmer can't actually be that horrible like what he demonstrated last night.

http://themeccapodcast.typepad.com/the-mecca-podcast/2012/07/knicks-summer-league-roster.html

Knicks Summer League roster:

Jeff Brooks: Avg. 17 ppg. and 7 rpg. this past season with FILENI Jesi, the 2nd division in Italy. Here are his 4 year stats from Penn St.

Chris Copeland: The former Colorado player averaged 21.8 ppg. and 5.5 rebs in the Belgian League for Generali Okapi Aalstar last season. Here he is scoring 45 points in a game last season. Next to James White, probably the most sure thing to make the Knicks opening day roster.

Mustapha Farrakhan: The grandson of Louis Farrakhan, played all 4 years at Virginia, he actually worked out for the Knicks last summer after graduating and played in the D-League at Bakersfield last season. Here are his D-League stats from last season.

Kyle Goldcamp: He's been a fixture on the Erie D League team since 2009. A 6'10 big man, who's touted for having "great intangibles". Just finished his 3rd season at Erie where he went from 6.4 ppg. the year before to 14 ppg. this past season.

Ahmad Nivins: A 6' 10 pf, a product of St. Anthony's in NJ, played this past season in Belgium avg 13.7 ppg. Sporting a 7 ft wingspan, the Knicks actually acquired his rights in the Tyson Chandler Sign and Trade. He was a 2nd round pick of the Mavs in 2009.

Artsiom Parakhouski: A big center from Bellarus, who played for Radford, where he was named the Big South Conference Player of the year in 2009 and 2010. He's been playing in the Latvian Basketball league for the past 2 seasons. His agent also put together a nice highlight reel.

Jeremiah Rivers: The forgotten Doc Rivers son. Graduated from Indiana in 2011, spent last season in Serbia. He never had much of collegiate career. In Serbia this past season, he avg. 6 ppg.

Walker Russell, Jr.: A 5 year veteran of the D-League, Walker was signed by the Pistons last season, playing in 3 games, and hitting career high 12 points in a loss to the Nets in February, and then topping that in the final game of the season with 15 against the Hawks.

Chris Smith: Probably a long shot to make the team, but wouldn't it be fun hearing all the potential J.R. and Chris Smith stories this season? Not the sharp shooter JR is, he avg 9 ppg. on Louisville his Junior and Senior seasons after transferring from Manhattan College. His per 40 per game isn't too shabby though.

Mychel Thompson: Son of former Laker Mychel Thompson, and brother to Klay Thompson, a 4 year player out of Pepperdine, he spent last season with the Erie Bayhawks and a cup of coffee with the Cavs. Here's his Draft Express profile...He has a chance to hang around this season at the end of the Knicks bench.

Terrance Witers: A 5'11" PG from Arkansas Tech, he declared early for the 2008 draft and was never picked or signed. He has quickness and a great ability to score, he's just lacking some discipline, according to his scouting page and evidenced here trying to dunk on Kenneth Faried. He's even touted as the best PG to come out of DC since Sawnta Rogers. Something about him (his age, 29), his long road to the NBA summer teams, or my fondness of the 90's Riley Knicks makes me hope he can be one of those diamonds in the rough (think Starks, Mason) old CBA finds.

Wesley Witherspoon: A 4 year player at Memphis, Witherspoon got off to a fast start his first two seasons at Memphis, but took steps backwards over 4 years. Appears to not have the mental make up to be an NBA player.

How exactly is that throwing him under the bus? That's exactly what Kidd has been known for for his whole career.

Read the quote again, read between the lines:

"Wherever J-Kidd is, that’s where I want to be," said Smith. "It’s open shots all day. Our job is to make them. With J-Kidd, he’s finding everybody. Not only is he going to help myself and [Steve] Novak, he’s going to help our bigs."

It's obvious what he's implying, I'm not trying to troll or anything.

Flash

"Wherever J-Kidd is, that’s where I want to be," said Smith. "It’s open shots all day. Our job is to make them. With J-Kidd, he’s finding everybody. Not only is he going to help myself and [Steve] Novak, he’s going to help our bigs."

lol stop reading into shit. Kidd is one of the best PGs in this generation, of course guys like smith are gonna praise him for being, you know, a PG.

SamuraiX-

Robinson took the loss hard yesterday

Man of few words. Samurai doesn't deserve him

#SaveTRob

The guy hates to lose and he's putting too much blame on himself. Feels like he let himself and his team down.

I really hope he's not gonna try to run the break anymore. Jimmer needs to learn how to do it, so let him learn and commit the turnovers if that's what it takes.

JR always said he wants to play with the 2nd unit. More shots and no Melo or Lin.

I was talking more on the contract thing than anything else. Some teams treat winning as a secondary goal. The amount of cash that Lin generates is insane. He's worth more as a mascot than as a player.

oh yeah no doubt, which is why they joke about knicks matching lin up to a billion. but if any player is paid over a certain amount, there are bound to be higher expectations, mascot or not.

How exactly is that throwing him under the bus? That's exactly what Kidd has been known for for his whole career.

yeah its reaching. this past week theres been a lot of crap posted like this.

Ehh maybe yall are right, I'd have to hear the quote rather than read it in text form to get the right context, but that's the impression I got from the way it reads.

How much did the Heat really improve? Think about it. Rashard Lewis isn't even worth mentioning, he's that bad now. So they got Ray Allen, a really nice pick-up but odds are he'll be injured and who knows how that'll work out sharing shots between 4 guys like that, it's not a guarantee.

Steve Nash on the other hand is one of the biggest gets ever. He's team-changing, he's got such a huge impact on your team. It's no comparison IMO (in terms of improvements in the off-season), Lakers are a better team now. They probably would've took the heat to 6 or 7 games last year and that's without Nash.

Keep on spinning..

Truphenom

Ehh maybe yall are right, I'd have to hear the quote rather than read it in text form to get the right context, but that's the impression I got from the way it reads.

I took it as a chucker being excited at the prospect of chucking in better spots.

oh yeah no doubt, which is why they joke about knicks matching lin up to a billion. but if any player is paid over a certain amount, there are bound to be higher expectations, mascot or not.
Not necessarily. If he goes to another team there would've been high expectations for him to repeat the "Linsanity" number, not so in NY. Why? To most fans he can do no wrong, especially in the Asian community. First guy blamed for anything will be Carmelo, then Amar'e, then Coach Woodson, then maybe Kidd for not teaching Lin or something.

Jeremy Lin was as close as teflon as you can get last year. Dude is some mythical figure to the Asian community.

lolol. oh bitch please. lakers need dwight like you need common sense.

Omega

Banned

Who gives a shit?

Pacers and Celtics took them to 6 and 7.

Not necessarily. If he goes to another team there would've been high expectations for him to repeat the "Linsanity" number, not so in NY. Why? To most fans he can do no wrong, especially in the Asian community. First guy blamed for anything will be Carmelo, then Amar'e, then Coach Woodson, then maybe Kidd for not teaching Lin or something.

Jeremy Lin was as close as teflon as you can get last year. Dude is some mythical figure to the Asian community.

thats true, i can definitely see that happening too. i dont think the media will be as accommodating as his loyal fans though/

lolol. oh bitch please. lakers need dwight like you need common sense.

Dwight > Bynum isn't that huge of a drop in the context of this team. Bynum was great in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight's numbers as a Laker would be identical to Bynum's current #s. There's not enough shots to go around like in Orlando where he's the focal point. He's not gonna put up 20+ppg in LA and he's not gonna get as many boards. People are looking at Dwight's insane Orlando #s and importance to his team and thinking all that will translate over to LA. He won't be the focal point in LA, far from it. He'd put up Bynum-ish #s with worse FT shooting and liability at the end of the game. That's why I don't think it's necessary.

Who gives a shit?

Pacers and Celtics took them to 6 and 7.
They would've beat them then. Celtics were blatantly robbed in game 2 anyway.

Dwight > Bynum isn't that huge of a drop in the context of this team. Bynum was great in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if Dwight's numbers as a Laker would be identical to Bynum's current #s. There's not enough shots to go around like in Orlando where he's the focal point. He's not gonna put up 20+ppg in LA and he's not gonna get as many boards. People are looking at Dwight's insane Orlando #s and importance to his team and thinking all that will translate over to LA. He won't be the focal point in LA, far from it. He'd put up Bynum-ish #s with worse FT shooting and liability at the end of the game. That's why I don't think it's necessary.

They would've beat them then. Celtics were blatantly robbed in game 2 anyway.

Shut up.

thats true, i can definitely see that happening too. i dont think the media will be as accommodating as his loyal fans though/
The media wasn't very accommodating at times last year, and it was funny to see some of the Asian backlash against them. Stephen A. Smith became Public Gajin #1 LOL.

he didn't do great. he had below regular seasion averages in the playoffs.
the guy didn't give a shit in the final game. He's severely inconsistent and disappears.
he needs a major attitude check, aka he needs to fucking grow up.
if he had half the fire dwight has, then i could understand your argument.

Nori Chan

he didn't do great. he had below regular seasion averages in the playoffs.
the guy didn't give a shit in the final game. He's severely inconsistent and disappears.
he needs a major attitude check, aka he needs to fucking grow up.
if he had half the fire dwight has, then i could understand your argument.

and close out games are apparently easy too dont forget that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom