• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alrix

maybe melo is just salty that he gave Lin his chance and now Lin is leaving. I don't think melo is as sinister as people keep saying

charsace

Controversial post over there but I think it has some merit:

:lol Melo can't stand him, come on. Read those quotes.

Wrong. These guys hang out all the time and Melo was one of the guys that asked for Lin to get playing time. He doesn't hate him. Melo played with Iverson and then when Billups got to the nuggets and was getting a lot of props Melo didn't cry about it. Melo not wanting to play with another scorer is a myth. The last year of the contract is what he doesn't like.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Heres some fun metric bits regarding Lin vs Felton - http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/47791/felton-over-lin-are-the-knicks-lin-sane

Isolation plays are where Lin excels. He scored the third most points per play of the 91 players with at least 75 isolation plays last season, trailing only Chris Paul and James Harden. Felton ranked 68th.

Felton turned the ball over on isolation plays more than twice as often as Lin, who committed just six turnovers on his 93 isolation plays. And only Andrea Bargnani, Chris Bosh and Harden got to the free throw line more often than Lin on isolation plays.

---

Despite shooting just 33 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers last season, Lin shot 48 percent on jumpers off the dribble.

Of the 102 players who attempted at least 90 jumpers off the dribble, only Stephen Curry and Steve Nash shot a higher field goal percentage than Lin. Felton ranked 85th of those 102 players, shooting just 33 percent.

---

If Lin seems to be the better offensive player, Felton must be the better defender, right? Not quite.

Lin held opponents to fewer points per play and a lower field-goal percentage (37.8) last season than Felton (41.6). Of the 235 players to defend at least 300 plays, Lin allowed the 78th-fewest points per play, while Felton ranked 133rd

squicken

Melo likes Lin. His beef is with the last year of the contract. Structuring is retarded and Morey only did it because for whatever reason he hates the knicks. I don't know if he tried to get a jobe here and Dolan took a dump on him or what, but he doesn't like the knicks. The man kept Flynn over Lin and now he's the one jacking up the dudes price. Then he takes days to draft and send the contract proposal.

It's the exact same structure as the deal he gave Asik. I don't think he did it to fuck the Knicks. The question I have is whether it was a business or basketball decision. They need a PG but no way has Lin earned that kind of deal on the court

Morey only did it because for whatever reason he hates the knicks.

Do you really think Morey is doing this because he hates the Knicks?

He's doing this because of revenue sharing.... that luxury tax money is going back to small market teams. Essentially he making sure every other owner loves him if he does indeed get fired from Houston. He gets called an idiot or stupid a lot around basketball forums, but I think this Lin offer sheet was a smart move. If they get Lin it's not that big of a problem because they just make the money back elsewhere. If they don't get Lin, then every other owner is happy with him.

DCX

DCX
Heres some fun metric bits regarding Lin vs Felton - http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/47791/felton-over-lin-are-the-knicks-lin-sane

Isolation plays are where Lin excels. He scored the third most points per play of the 91 players with at least 75 isolation plays last season, trailing only Chris Paul and James Harden. Felton ranked 68th.

Felton turned the ball over on isolation plays more than twice as often as Lin, who committed just six turnovers on his 93 isolation plays. And only Andrea Bargnani, Chris Bosh and Harden got to the free throw line more often than Lin on isolation plays.

---

Despite shooting just 33 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers last season, Lin shot 48 percent on jumpers off the dribble.

Of the 102 players who attempted at least 90 jumpers off the dribble, only Stephen Curry and Steve Nash shot a higher field goal percentage than Lin. Felton ranked 85th of those 102 players, shooting just 33 percent.

---

If Lin seems to be the better offensive player, Felton must be the better defender, right? Not quite.

Lin held opponents to fewer points per play and a lower field-goal percentage (37.8) last season than Felton (41.6). Of the 235 players to defend at least 300 plays, Lin allowed the 78th-fewest points per play, while Felton ranked 133rd
Lin- 5, 5 15 mill
Felton 3, 3, 3.999 mill

DCX

Awesome

Banned
As a Knicks fan this has been such a mess already and the season hasn't even started, Kidd is a dbag and I hope he gets some jail time, he is lucky nothing worse happened. He can get 0 minutes a game, the Knicks didn't expect this to happen so of course I feel bad for them now.

masud

Banned
@jwquick
Possible details of Blazers-Knicks deal could be Knicks sending Kostas Papanikolaou to Blazers and $$ to help pay for Jeffries' $3.1M salary

:|

We dont need draft picks or prospects son. We can get lucky with waiver wire players and then just let them walk cause we got it like that. We're good to go man...

---

---

Damn. Lin's the real deal, how can anyone argue against those numbers. I'll be rooting for him in Houston. Is there anyone here who won't be aside from FMJ?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Damn. Lin's the real deal, how can anyone argue against those numbers. I'll be rooting for him in Houston. Is there anyone here who won't be aside from FMJ?

I don't think anybody is arguing against the facts, just questioning whether or not he was lightning in a bottle.

It's a lot of money to give up for a guy without a track record. But I'd rather pay for potential instead of paying for an established track record of mediocrity.

Is this true? I wouldn't be surprised if it is

Y7Vxs.jpg

---

---

And you're basing this off 20 fucking games? LULZ

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And you're basing this off 20 fucking games? LULZ

Raymond Felton has never once put up numbers in the same stratosphere as those 20 fucking games.

Like I get the arguments that signing Lin now would be bad for cap reasons 3 seasons from now. But if you're actually arguing that the Knicks are somehow better off this year with Felton over Lin then that is just silly.

I want to say he is getting paid this much for his marketing potential (Toyota Center will be sold out every night, you might as well call it Chinatown II now)

but I also live in a world where Joe Johnson's contract got moved

Raymond Felton has never once put up numbers in the same stratosphere as those 20 fucking games.

Like I get the arguments that signing Lin now would be bad for cap reasons 3 seasons from now. But if you're actually arguing that the Knicks are somehow better off this year with Felton over Lin then that is just silly.

You're basing everything off a hot streak. You're talking like Lin is going to sustain that level of play throughout an 82 NBA season, despite being game planned for.

Emwitus

Told you Melo had his filthy hands in this whole debacle. He doesn't want him in NY, obviously, after Lin showed him up last year with the team going on the streak while he was injured. Melo is a catty bitch, guarantee you he had some influence in this.

So melo told lin to accept that offer with the rockets and NY not to match?

You're basing everything off a hot streak. You're talking like Lin is going to sustain that level of play throughout an 82 NBA season, despite being game planned for.

Knicks were fucked either way.

Keep Lin and he does well - Pay out the fucking nose for it, team still probably isn't constructed well enough to compete.

Keep Lin and he does alright - He'll be overpaid by the third year and media will be laughing still despite stupid high sale of jerseys and merch

Keep Lin and he sucks - People question the teams makeup again, fingers get pointed everywhere

Let Lin go and he sucks - great move, save money....but felton is getting major minutes and a decent pay check, Knicks still look like fools.

Let Lin go and he's alright - those first two years you'll get clowned on for letting him go and picking Felton, Lin probably still worth it from a business standpoint for the free advertisement and merch sales

Let Lin go and he is great - Can't blame you for not wanting to pay so much in 3 years I guess, but you look like a fool cause faton gets major minutes

Knicks if they do, Knicks if they don't.

Their problems go far and beyond this Lin decision. Knicks will be c tier until Amare and Melo are gone, Amare at least needs to go.

Alan Hahn:
So what made the Knicks stance in matching Jeremy Lin's offer sheet change in the span of 24 hours? Raymond Felton. He wanted to come back to New York (never wanted to leave) and his availability, and much cheaper cost, gave Knicks reason to reconsider matching Lin's massive contract. Felton is 28, hardly old, but has had conditioning issues which is something Woodson has already made clear to players already on the roster that he will not tolerate on the first day of training camp. Felton's toughness, experience and ability to run the point are factors that point to the win-now mentality.
but then says
Alan Hahn:
My personal opinion is you just don't let a young, immensely popular player like this just walk without any compensation. This kid just fell out of the sky, a gift from the basketball gods. If you match, he can't be traded until Dec. 15. Can't deal him to Houston until next summer. But these will be a market for him regardless. Just my opinion, but letting him walk for nothing is hard for me to understand.
Alan Hahn ‏@alanhahn
I’ve already said you don’t let Lin just walk without compensation, but honestly, who among us DOESN’T believe that contract is ridiculous?

Emwitus

In october thru jan of 2011 he actually did put up those kind of numbers.

Keep Lin and he does well - Pay out the fucking nose for it, team still probably isn't constructed well enough to compete.

Keep Lin and he does alright - He'll be overpaid by the third year and media will be laughing still despite stupid high sale of jerseys and merch

Keep Lin and he sucks - People question the teams makeup again, fingers get pointed everywhere

Let Lin go and he sucks - great move, save money....but felton is getting major minutes and a decent pay check, Knicks still look like fools.

Let Lin go and he's alright - those first two years you'll get clowned on for letting him go and picking Felton, Lin probably still worth it from a business standpoint for the free advertisement and merch sales

Let Lin go and he is great - Can't blame you for not wanting to pay so much in 3 years I guess, but you look like a fool cause faton gets major minutes

Knicks if they do, Knicks if they don't.

Their problems go far and beyond this Lin decision. Knicks will be c tier until Amare and Melo are gone, Amare at least needs to go.

And if Felton has a bounce back year, the universe explodes.

In a league where Joe Johnson and Rashard Lewis get 30 mil a year for 10 years why all this hoopla for a 3 year $28 million contract for a guy with plenty of upside? I don't get it.

Alot of teams aren't constructed to compete, but you don't think that team plus Lin can't get 4th-5th seed in the East? How much better did the East get again?
Trade Lin the 3rd year as a massive expiring. Look, he has SOME value. And be real, MSG and their stock was making money hand over foot off Lin. Not to mention the inroads you gets into the Asian community with the Garden Of Dreams foundation.
I think there's a higher chance he's aight than sucks though.
Hire a better offensive coach, the thing I've been calling for ALL summer.
... this is the argument you use for keeping him, huh?
Yes, because Felton last year (who battled management and hated Portland) is the same Felton this year. He actually likes NY and never wanted out. I'm not saying he's some great player, but he'll actually give a fuck as opposed to pigging on fluffernutter sandwiches. Coach Woodson don't like out-of-shape players... Felton don't want to play that game.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
In a league where Joe Johnson and Rashard Lewis get 30 mil a year for 10 years why all this hoopla for a 3 year $28 million contract for a guy with plenty of upside? I don't get it.

For the Rockets or any other team with a responsible cap situation in place 3 years from now, it's not all that crazy, its totally reasonable. It's 2 years at 5 mil a pop and then an expiring contract.

Enough Dwight talk.

Lakers are in desperate need of a backup shooting guard to help their bench score.

Without other teams having to "help" the Lakers acquire talent I think these are good options.

1) Grant Hill
2) Leandro Barbosa
3) Shannon Brown

Yup...all from the Suns.

Grant is too old for him to be the only backup option for Kobe.

I'd like Shanwow and Monica back at Staples.

Emwitus

I want shanwow back now! His still better than the crap we had in 12 and has experience with nash and obviously would fit right in with LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom