• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
7581826150_e11e18c88d.jpg

p9tcCl.jpg

Post should sue.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'm really laughing at anyone who thinks that Lin contract is anywhere near a good deal for anyone.

Lins worth keeping for a team that's going to be in the luxury anyway but they might as well let him go because his teammates are salty as hell and won't let him play the way he should. Never seen anything like Melo and JR have done in my years of watching the league. Outright saying your teammate doesn't deserve his contract.

Hope the Knicks are in the lottery next year with such cancerous players on their teams.

Finally watched 'Scott Pilgrim' tonight on TV.

GAF has no fucking taste in films.

I'd rather read through more NeoCavs members meandering than sit through that horseshit again.

And I yes, I got it.

No I didn't read the comics.

Movie was still harrible.

Yes, this was shit.

Never seen anything like Melo and JR have done in my years of watching the league. Outright saying your teammate doesn't deserve his contract.

Kinda strange to see this passive/aggressive shit. Maybe there's something else.

Lins worth keeping for a team that's going to be in the luxury anyway but they might as well let him go because his teammates are salty as hell and won't let him play the way he should. Never seen anything like Melo and JR have done in my years of watching the league. Outright saying your teammate doesn't deserve his contract.

Hope the Knicks are in the lottery next year with such cancerous players on their teams.
Melo seems to be getting worse over time

Either that or consistently bad

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Funniest part of Kidd being a fucking idiot is the fact that they had to send out Cablevision trucks to fix the damage he did to the pole. I'd imagine Dolan already sent him the bill.

Cloudy

Banned
No one will ever say Felton is better than Lin. We already know what Failton is. We have no idea what Lin will become. He is 23 years old and was finally given a shot to play. There are so many players in all sports that are overpaid and paid because what they have done. Lin will get payed because of potential and the amount of $$$ he will make your organization off/on the court.

Well I hope it works out for him. When you get paid big money you become a target of the media, unhappy fans and most importantly, other players who feel you don't deserve it. He will get everyone's best every night and he better be ready.

Its sad though because I think Lin with the ball in his hands with Amare as the main screener had a lot of potential. You get Amare playing the way he's used to playing and Lin gets to penetrate and create. Let Melo fine his own way. Maybe play more off the ball with Chandler setting some off the ball screens to free him up.

Instead we saw Lin using Chandler the main screen setter and Amare was completely lost as a result. Ball never left Melos hand when he got it. Woodson isn't a good coach.

Cloudy

Banned
Never seen anything like Melo and JR have done in my years of watching the league. Outright saying your teammate doesn't deserve his contract.

Honestly if I was Melo, I'd probably want Lin off the team now that there are other options. You never want to be the best player on a team when the fans love a role player more. It's even worse when the guy can do no wrong and you start getting blamed for bad outcomes lol

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Well I hope it works out for him. When you get paid big money you become a target of the media, unhappy fans and most importantly, other players who feel you don't deserve it. He will get everyone's best every night and he better be ready.

But he's not resigning with the Knicks.

Cloudy

Banned
But he's not resigning with the Knicks.

It doesn't matter where he re-signs. All the Feltons and Sessions of the world will be circling the date to bust his ass cos they feel they are underpaid relative to him even though they have longer track records.

Last year, most of his peers were rooting for him but jealousy and resentment will change that this year

It doesn't matter where he re-signs. All the Feltons and Sessions of the world will be circling the date to bust his ass cos they feel they are underpaid relative to him even though they have longer track records
failton is fat now compared to before. lin might not be that great but he can pass a lot better.the worst part is that the backup pg are all old.

Cloudy

Banned
failton is fat now compared to before. lin might not be that great but he can pass a lot better.the worst part is that the backup pg are all old.

Felton is fat but I still think he's better than Lin. Maybe I'm crazy but being on bad teams and a having a bad year isn't enough to make me rate Lin better based on 25 games. Let's see how he does this year with a target on his back

Smokey

All Lin has proved is that he has no left and turns the ball over vs. pressure defense. I like the kid but he is going to fail HARD on a team like the Rockets.

I can't believe the shitty advice he's getting. Why redo the offer sheet after they said they'd match already? He'd easily make the difference in backloaded money off the court in NY because he'd still be relevant. How many national tv games will the Rockets get...and this is before he gets exposed with less talent around him?

You realize when Yao was here they got Asian exposure like crazy right? TRACY MCGRADY had the number one selling jersey over there like 3 years in a row. A number of dudes got shoe deals over there because of Yao. And those same businesses will come back if Lin gets here..there's already an established connection. He is going to make off the court money regardless of where he goes, and the Rockets would get more coverage than before because of what I just mentioned...

This is what I was saying yesterday...to say publicly that a teammate doesn't deserve the money he's being offered is outta there..even if it's true you shouldn't say that to the media. whatever tho

Cloudy

Banned
You realize when Yao was here they got Asian exposure like crazy right? TRACY MCGRADY has the number one selling jersey over there like 3 years in a row. A number of dudes got shoe deals over there because of Yao. And those same businesses will come back if Lin gets here..there's already an established connection. He is going to make off the court money regardless of where he goes, and the Rockets would get more coverage than before because of what I just mentioned...

Oh I get this from the Rockets point of view. It's some excitement after a summer of fail and it's even better if he actually keeps up the great play.

I don't get it from Lin's point of view unless he really wanted to leave NY. He is taking on a lot of pressure in a worse situation over money he can easily make off the court.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Felton is fat but I still think he's better than Lin. Maybe I'm crazy but being on bad teams and a having a bad year isn't enough to make me rate Lin better based on 25 games. Let's see how he does this year with a target on his back

What were the guys guarding Lin doing last season? Are you saying they were trying to get embarrassed by some no-name undrafted Asian d-leaguer who got cut by basically every team in the league?

I used to be a Lin hater but I've given up on doubting the kid. He basically spent his first entire season making everybody doubting him look like an utter fool, I don't think thats going to change any time soon.

Smokey

Oh I get this from the Rockets point of view. It's some excitement after a summer of fail and it's even better if he actually keeps up the great play.

I don't get it from Lin's point of view unless he really wanted to leave NY. He is taking on a lot of pressure in a worse situation over money he can easily make off the court.

But why not get more money ON the court + that money off the court? That's where he's at right now. Maybe he fells like he can't shine like he wants to with those cancers up there in NY I dunno

Ball will be in his hands more if he's down here with should be D-leaguers

I'm not a fan of Lin or the Knicks (Nets, baby -- I survived 12-70!), but this whole Lin saga has been pretty fascinating -- especially this latest turn.

I do kind of wonder if Lin were black, the sentiment out of the locker room would be different.

I also wonder if there are more than a few guys in the locker room who would rather have Lin than Carmelo.

Cloudy

Banned
What were the guys guarding Lin doing last season? Are you saying they were trying to get embarrassed by some no-name undrafted Asian d-leaguer who got cut by basically every team in the league?

I used to be a Lin hater but I've given up on doubting the kid. He basically spent his first entire season making everybody doubting him look like an utter fool, I don't think thats going to change any time soon.

I'm not even a hater. I like the guy and will root for him wherever. I just see some obvious flaws in his game that will be exploited easily with no stars and a lack of shooters in Houston. I've never seen a starting NBA PG with as weak an off hand as he has. I feel he'd be better as a backup SG or combo guard than the #1 PG

SoulPlaya

more money than God
They need to get rid of SAS on First Take. He ruins every debate by bringing up Tebow in every damn debate, for no reason.

I'm not even a hater. I like the guy and will root for him wherever. I just see some obvious flaws in his game that will be exploited easily with no stars and a lack of shooters in Houston. I've never seen a starting NBA PG with as weak an off hand as he has. I feel he'd be better as a backup SG or combo guard than the #1 PG

I see this criticism a lot, but don't you think that Lin knows what his weaknesses are at this point and don't you think he'll work on them in the offseason?

Given that he's stuck through with his NBA dreams, paid his dues in the D-League, and worked his way up to the NBA, I think he's the type of guy that will fill those holes in his game.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I also wonder if there are more than a few guys in the locker room who would rather have Lin than Carmelo.

I'd imagine this has to be the case with some of the guys. They were there on the court when shit was rough and they were on the court when Lin saved that team and then they were there on that court when it all fell apart again.

And just ignoring Lin / Melo I would imagine most guys in the league would rather play with a guy who creates easy shots for everybody else instead of a guy who dominates the ball and takes 20 plus shots on his own every night.

Cloudy

Banned
I do kind of wonder if Lin were black, the sentiment out of the locker room would be different.

The only color that matter here is green IMO. JR is salty as hell because he's a better player but can't get a comparable deal because he's not as marketable. Sucks for him but no one asked him to be a tatted-up knucklehead lol

Fact is, the contract IS ridiculous for someone who's started under 30 games. Even more so under this new CBA

And just ignoring Lin / Melo I would imagine most guys in the league would rather play with a guy who creates easy shots for everybody else instead of a guy who dominates the ball and takes 20 plus shots on his own every night.

Thing is, Lin also dominates the ball and shoots way too much for a PG IMO. That's part of the reason his game kind of regressed when Melo and Amare came back. He needs the ball just as much

Cloudy

Banned
I see this criticism a lot, but don't you think that Lin knows what his weaknesses are at this point and don't you think he'll work on them in the offseason?

Given that he's stuck through with his NBA dreams, paid his dues in the D-League, and worked his way up to the NBA, I think he's the type of guy that will fill those holes in his game.

Unfortunately, you don't develop your off hand at 23. Those are things you learn as a kid

The only color that matter here is green IMO. JR is salty as hell because he's a better player but can't get a comparable deal because he's not as marketable. Sucks for him but no asked him to be a tatted-up knucklehead lol

Fact is, the contract IS ridiculous for someone who's started under 30 games. Even more so under this new CBA

Contract is ridiculous if you only look at year 3. But it really works out to 8mil/yr. which is still high, but not terribly so given that the NBA is still a business first and foremost and Lin is a valuable employee in terms of the revenue that he can generate if he's successful.

If you look at basketball only as basketball and the stats, those dollar figures make no sense. But if you put on your businessman goggles for a moment, it's probably a steal to pay 8mil/yr. if Lin is even remotely productive.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I think Lin's deal is actually a victory for everybody involved when it comes to the CBA. The NBPA fought hard to allow poison pill deals and for Bird rights for guys in scenarios like Lin. The owners who don't spend recklessly are happy because it makes it easier for them to get RFAs and benefits them for not being crazy and the players are happy because if they really want out of the town they're in now it's a lot easier to do so in certain scenarios.

Unfortunately, you don't develop your off hand at 23. Those are things you learn as a kid

Hard to say. Guys like David Robinson and Tim Duncan -- two high skill guys -- didn't even pick up basketball competitively until they were fairly old (in competitive basketball context).

Obviously, hard to compare those positions (but Duncan and Robinson are just two that come to my mind right now as successful, high skill guys that picked up the game relatively late) and I'm not trying to compare them as players, but just saying that it's possible to develop as a skill player even fairly late by today's competitive basketball standards.

It's going to depend on the individual, their character, how motivated they are, how hard they work.

Cloudy

Banned
Contract is ridiculous if you only look at year 3. But it really works out to 8mil/yr. which is still high, but not terribly so given that the NBA is still a business first and foremost and Lin is a valuable employee in terms of the revenue that he can generate if he's successful.

If you look at basketball only as basketball and the stats, those dollar figures make no sense. But if you put on your businessman goggles for a moment, it's probably a steal to pay 8mil/yr. if Lin is even remotely productive.

Well if he can maintain his level of play during Linsanity, years 1 and 2 aren't so bad. I don't think he can though and certainly not on a weaker team in the Bestern Conference. What makes the contract really bad is that the Knicks would have to pay close to $50 mil overall because they are over the cap. Tough decision for them cos they will be blasted if he doesn't live up to it and blasted if he does but as a Rocket lol

Thing is, Lin also dominates the ball and shoots way too much for a PG IMO. That's part of the reason his game kind of regressed when Melo and Amare came back. He needs the ball just as much
He hoisted up like 20 shots a night early on because the Knicks really didn't have many options. When Melo and company came back, it felt like he shot significantly less. I don't think that's an issue at all. If anything, he should have the ball in his hands more when they're all on the court...he can break down defenses and create for others.

Cloudy

Banned
Hard to say. Guys like David Robinson and Tim Duncan -- two high skill guys -- didn't even pick up basketball competitively until they were fairly old (in competitive basketball context).

Obviously, hard to compare those positions (but Duncan and Robinson are just two that come to my mind right now as successful, high skill guys that picked up the game relatively late) and I'm not trying to compare them as players, but just saying that it's possible to develop as a skill player even fairly late by today's competitive basketball standards.

It's going to depend on the individual, their character, how motivated they are, how hard they work.

Good examples but as you note, PG is TOTALLY different. I certainly can't think of any PG who greatly improved his ball-handling at the pro level. Hopefully they can pair him with a SG who can handle the ball as well

Good examples but as you note, PG is TOTALLY different. I certainly can't think of any PG who greatly improved his ball-handling at the pro level. Hopefully they can pair him with a SG who can handle the ball as well

I can't speak specifically to ball-handling, but Steve Nash is a perfect example of a guy that changed and improved his game at the pro-level at the PG position.

Well if he can maintain his level of play during Linsanity, years 1 and 2 aren't so bad. I don't think he can though and certainly not on a weaker team in the Bestern Conference. What makes the contract really bad is that the Knicks would have to pay close to $50 mil overall because they are over the cap. Tough decision for them cos they will be blasted if he doesn't live up to it and blasted if he does but as a Rocket lol

Having three point guards with varying skillsets would be huge for a team that's constructed the way that the Knicks are.

Losing a guy like Lin over 50 million...man that's like a drop in the water for a major NEW YORK sports franchise. Hell the Redskins paid Albert Haynesworth like 40 million to cause trouble for the franchise and collect bad press. Paying between 30-50 for Lin given the revenue he brings in and the potential gains on the court seems like a no brainer.

Cloudy

Banned
Durant is 23 and his handles are significantly improved.

Nowhere near the class of Bron, Kobe and Wade who can run the offense for their teams and were doing so at his age

Duhon pic

He is a 3rd string PG making less than half of what Lin will be making in year 1. Oh and he SUCKS

I can't speak specifically to ball-handling, but Steve Nash is a perfect example of a guy that changed and improved his game at the pro-level at the PG position.

Nash was always a genius ball-handler though. Shooting, defense and stuff like that can be improved. I don't think your handles get better in your twenties.

Shooting, defense and stuff like that can be improved. I don't think your handles get better in your twenties.

So every other mechanical aspect of basketball skill can be improved in one's 20's through hard work, training, and mechanical repetition except for one's ability to dribble the ball?

OK.....

Nowhere near the class of Bron, Kobe and Wade who can run the offense for their teams

Thats just because KD doesn't no how to run a offense. If he ever bothered to learn he certainly could. KD has built one of the toughest crossovers in the game and can create space better than any of those guys you just named.

Cloudy

Banned
So every other mechanical aspect of basketball skill can be improved in one's 20's through hard work, training, and mechanical repetition except for one's ability to dribble the ball?

OK.....

Well I'm just speaking from personal experiences and from watching NBA ball for 25 years. Everyone I know who couldn't use their off hand when we were kids can't do it now and I've never seen it in the pros. Maybe Lin is different. We'll see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom