• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a lot of money for a second-round exit.

$12m is overpaying for him (sweet spot is probably around $6-8m/yr), but I think it's probably more for trade purposes down the line (spoken as a Nets fan). If I'm not mistaken, you cannot trade a player on a 1yr deal without his consent. So overpaying him makes him easier to move in a potential DH trade at the deadline if necessary and a big expiring for teams that want to get under the cap in 2014.

That said, I am a big Hump fan. Dude has averaged a double-double the last two years on TERRIBLE teams and been a stand-up guy outside of the KK thing.

Total pro on the court and one of the few guys on the team that goes all-out every night. Didn't complain about his 1 year contract, didn't complain about teammates, didn't complain about his constant trade status -- just went out and played ball on the court.

Played the second most minutes on the team after Deron and played hard every night. Had some nice games against Blake Griffin (stuffed one of his dunk attempts) and is a pretty good complement to Lopez in terms of rebounding.

Would have liked someone more athletic, but you take what you can. Don't know why other teams aren't interested in him.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Defense is about making a guy make a play some where that he isn't comfortable. Hands in the face can be annoying, but a lot of guys have spots where they can hit shots with their eyes closed so obscuring their vision doesn't work if they can still see even part of the basket.

Can you say what I said again but in a different way...

Fox318

nzvLl.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
It's funny how Pau was the one every was calling to move and now the talks have completely shifted to bynum. Frankly, i'm scared now. With mitch, that quietness means something is imminent and honestly at this point i'd rather have pau stay with nash here.
Its shifted because pau isn't near as valuable as Bynum. Also, that shift occurred months ago. On top of that, Dwight and pau is sexy as fuck.

Blackace

Its shifted because pau isn't near as valuable as Bynum. Also, that shift occurred months ago. On top of that, Dwight and pau is sexy as fuck.

Dwight Pau and Nash would be scary... And move Kobe for a real scorer in their prime and they would be unstoppable

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
Defense is about making a guy make a play some where that he isn't comfortable. Hands in the face can be annoying, but a lot of guys have spots where they can hit shots with their eyes closed so obscuring their vision doesn't work if they can still see even part of the basket.

Defense is also about denying opportunities to get the ball and forcing bad plays (which can include making a bad pass, and not just forced shot).

I have a pretty good memory of 90's Payton. With or without hand-checking, I think Payton would force Westbrook into a lot of bad situations.

Emwitus

Agreed. But man, if your laker if you play like an all star and you don't win, your bum gonna get traded. lol. Well with the exception of kobe. (Who's never played like an all-star in years tho)

Blackace

Defense is also about denying opportunities to get the ball and forcing bad plays (which can include making a bad pass, and not just forced shot).

I have a pretty good memory of 90's Payton. With or without hand-checking, I think Payton would force Westbrook into a lot of bad situations.

Not only that but when Westbrook has to play D his offense really suffers as TP proved.. GP would eat his lunch in the post and lock him down making him play even more recklessly..

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
1500 ESPN said:
As for the Comcast Portland report that the Wolves offered forward Derrick Williams and two first-round picks for Batum, it never happened. Williams' name came up on the Portland end, but the Wolves were never willing to give up an asset like that while simultaneously overpaying Batum.

multiple sources, etc.

I don't think that alleged offer ever happened.

2/24? OMG, Hump got paaaid hahaha.

Proky doesn't give a shit about the luxury tax, so overpaying Hump on a shorter deal to trade his large expiring contract next year actually makes sense. The Nets only have the taxpayer MLE, Hump's expiring will actually be one of their better assets.

Brinbe

Proky doesn't give a shit about the luxury tax, so overpaying Hump on a shorter deal to trade his large expiring contract next year actually makes sense. The Nets only have the taxpayer MLE, Hump's expiring will actually be one of their better assets.

Yeah, that's true. Prok's def willing to win at all costs and it's not like they had any other choice. Just jarring to read.

"Alan Hahn
Also in NBA Free Agency

And now for the big story of the day: Jeremy Lin. The Knicks will announce a decision this evening regarding the decision on the offer sheet Lin signed with the Rockets. Though reports have indicated the team will pass, internally there has been no final decision made. There are too many factors outside of basketball that come into play in regards to Lin and all of these need to be considered."

Blackace

i don't think they could move kobe like they moved the sonics

Making Sonic jokes won't make Kobe into a good scorer again... Besides they can't move him because he has a shitty contract

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Yeah. Gerald Wallace at 10 mil per year is their lowest paid starter this season.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Alan Hahn
Meanwhile, Raymond Felton's weight will be a topic of conversation when training camp opens in October. Felton has said he likes to come into camp overweight because he loses it during camp and he likes to play "heavy" because it helps him feel stronger.

That theory will certainly be put to the test this season, as Woodson has warned his players to show up at weight and in shape. Those who know Felton well believe Woodson may be just the right coach for Felton, who is a fiery competitor.

But McMillan is the hard-driving, motivational type, too, and Felton did not respond well. At one point last season, Felton expressed his frustration with McMillan: "Never in my days playing basketball have I felt like a coach wasn't confident in my ability."

Felton was putting up career-best numbers (17.1 points per game, 9.0 assists per game) with the Knicks before the trade but what must be noted is that he was playing as the primary ball handler in Mike D'Antoni's pick-and-roll system. Felton and Amar'e Stoudemire developed good chemistry -- though it took time -- and the belief is the two should be able to reconnect again in Woodson's offense.

Can you imagine Magic chasing after Team USA's speedy guard Russell Westbrook, or Bird trying to contain Carmelo Anthony? It wouldn't be pretty.

This is a part of an article that could be interesting, but is pretty terrible because of stuff like this because Melo is really bad athlete who would hugely struggle against Bird because Melo posts-up every time.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/17/opinion/lee-kobe-bryant-dream-team/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

It's basically trying to say that all athletes have gotten a lot better so 2012 players should beat 1992 players.

Alan Hahn
Meanwhile, Raymond Felton's weight will be a topic of conversation when training camp opens in October. Felton has said he likes to come into camp overweight because he loses it during camp and he likes to play "heavy" because it helps him feel stronger.

That theory will certainly be put to the test this season, as Woodson has warned his players to show up at weight and in shape. Those who know Felton well believe Woodson may be just the right coach for Felton, who is a fiery competitor.

But McMillan is the hard-driving, motivational type, too, and Felton did not respond well. At one point last season, Felton expressed his frustration with McMillan: "Never in my days playing basketball have I felt like a coach wasn't confident in my ability."

Felton was putting up career-best numbers (17.1 points per game, 9.0 assists per game) with the Knicks before the trade but what must be noted is that he was playing as the primary ball handler in Mike D'Antoni's pick-and-roll system. Felton and Amar'e Stoudemire developed good chemistry -- though it took time -- and the belief is the two should be able to reconnect again in Woodson's offense.
2192148024_688d0eb741_o.gif

Fucking pumped for the Blazers/Rockets game tonight. Eager for Barton to open up a bit. Love his demeanor.

Barton had lottery caliber advanced stats. If the Blazers develop him (i.e. introduce him to weight training) and give him an opportunity to prove himself he will be one of the biggest steals of the entire draft.

RBH

Alan Hahn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

masud

Banned
Holy shit Kellerman's on ESPN! Him Skip and Stephen A on first take. Way too many loud mouths, you cant even make out any words its just noise...

And I fucks with Ray Ray that dude played hard as shit for us.

Kevtones

Barton had lottery caliber advanced stats. If the Blazers develop him (i.e. introduce him to weight training) and give him an opportunity to prove himself he will be one of the biggest steals of the entire draft.

This is what I keep hearing. He's only 19-20 too and just needs to put on some weight. I like his athleticism and he seems like a real big team guy that just fills the box score. His rebounding skill was noticeable as well.

Did I say anything about blocks? lol..

Good D is about position... Taking your player out of their comfort zone.. If they like to shoot from 13 ft make them shoot from 15.. So forth and so forth..
I never said it wasn't about position, its one part of playing good D. Just like contesting shots. It all goes together and you can't really have one with out the other.

Shane's hand in the face is not what makes him a great defender. Its not even about the shot. The shot is one of the last things you key on - and its not even the most important either.

But this is just off the main point anyways.
When did I ever say it was? And how can you say its not about the shot? You give up space for a good look and you've already failed most of the time. Everybody doesn't shoot like Rondo. You have to be in the space and having the defender think you can contest his shot. Especially in the NBA.

You seriously missed Ace saying the exact same thing like two posts up?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This is what I keep hearing. He's only 19-20 too and just needs to put on some weight. I like his athleticism and he seems like a real big team guy that just fills the box score. His rebounding skill was noticeable as well.

Excellent length and wingspan.

giga

Lakers pushing hard to land Magic center Dwight Howard & meeting with Magic today,sources tell Y! LAL wants DH contract extension commitment

Dwight can't sign an extension at Brooklyn that's for sure.

Los Angeles Lawlkers

Dwight already said he aint signing shit unless its with Crooklyn, the idea was that you'd trade for him and hope bird rights forces his hand to sign at the end of the season. Morans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom