• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT2| Lakers Fans Despise Freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
Los Angeles Lawlkers

Dwight already said he aint signing shit unless its with Crooklyn, the idea was that you'd trade for him and hope bird rights forces his hand to sign at the end of the season. Morans.

There is no way he would give up the extra year guarantee. That said, why would you trade for a guy who doesn't want to be there?

LuchaShaq

Banned
That's like saying Al Jefferson was the 2nd best center in the league the year he averaged 24/11 in Minnesota. Lopez just stat padded on trash teams. He shot 62% at the rim his last healthy season, that's absolutely terrible for a center. I hate Bynumbskull with a passion but he's a legitimately good offensive player and is light years ahead of Lopez.

I would take pre injury Al Jefferson in that 1.5 year stretch in Minny when he was a beast over any center in the league besides Dwight and Bynum.

Noone is even a close fourth there.

He had mono in 2010. A quick google search shows articles from December of 2010 talking about how he was already recovered from it. That's a full year before this most recent season even started. How long are you gonna milk that excuse for him?

SamuraiX-

Looks like Grant Hill decided on LA after all. Smart man! Maybe Dwight will be more attracted to the idea of playing there now.

What I liked about TWill was that he quickly found a role and that role was getting people involved on offense and applying defensive pressure. He just fit with the rest of the personnel so easily that I don't like the idea of hoping another chucker is a suitable replacement.

Exactly. He was like the only player on the team that complimented everybody he was playing next and never really tried to force himself like the rest of these fucks. James Johnson, I think, will basically try to do the same thing, but he's a lot less skilled but a more capable defender I think.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Old, coming off injury, 12 PER.

$8m a year for 3 years. Hardly cap-busting, filled a big need on a team with high expectations (i.e., didn't get $8m to a player on a shitty team that will be at the bottom). I'm not saying it was risk-free, but considering the position of the team, the current personnel and what they needed from him, it didn't offend me.

He had mono in 2010. A quick google search shows articles from December of 2010 talking about how he was already recovered from it. That's a full year before this most recent season even started. How long are you gonna milk that excuse for him?

He had mono right before the start of year 3 in 2010. He was slated to play on the national team but pulled out due to his fatigue and aftereffects of mono.

You can recover from mono but still suffer symptoms on an ongoing basis -- again, read the NIH study.

I've only "milked that excuse" for like, 2 posts. Fact is you didn't know your facts.

Pimpwerx

Dwight won't extend with LAL because it would make him an obvious Shaq wannabe. He got drafted by the team that drafted Shaq. Plays the same position. Stole his Superman nickname, even. Now you want him to be traded to the Lakers the same way? Dwight will never be better than Shaq. He'll never be more popular. I don't blame the guy for wanting to pave his own path.

I found it weird that he was so adamant about going to BK, but he clearly wants a big market to try and expand his marketability. In BK he could be on a contender without having to ape Shaq some more. The Nets aren't out of the picture either, as they'll be able to trade people around by the deadline. Dwight won't be a Net this season, but there's no reason to think he can't be one next year. PEACE.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
They're not going to trade Rip. The draft pick they get will still be trash as they're going to make the playoffs anyway. They won't have capspace, regardless, and you're not going to find a better SG next year than Mayo and Lee that the Bulls could get.

Exactly. It's silly now to expect the Bulls to do something that they've never done.

Yup. The man has made it very clear that the Bulls mean nothing to him, when compared to the White Sox.

Soul, I'll always love the Bulls and cheer and watch them, but I think I've decided to boycott going to any games this year. Until they show me they're willing to go all-in, Reinsdorf won't get any more of my cash.

commish

How long is his contract for?

That long.

Dwight won't extend with LAL because it would make him an obvious Shaq wannabe. He got drafted by the team that drafted Shaq. Plays the same position. Stole his Superman nickname, even. Now you want him to be traded to the Lakers the same way? Dwight will never be better than Shaq. He'll never be more popular. I don't blame the guy for wanting to pave his own path.

I found it weird that he was so adamant about going to BK, but he clearly wants a big market to try and expand his marketability. In BK he could be on a contender without having to ape Shaq some more. The Nets aren't out of the picture either, as they'll be able to trade people around by the deadline. Dwight won't be a Net this season, but there's no reason to think he can't be one next year. PEACE.

Shaq wasn't traded...

SamuraiX-

435999_m21.jpg

435978_m21.jpg

435981_m21.jpg

This is great. lol

That last pic could get a lot of use around here.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Soul, I'll always love the Bulls and cheer and watch them, but I think I've decided to boycott going to any games this year. Until they show me they're willing to go all-in, Reinsdorf won't get any more of my cash.
That's all I ask. I'll always have a place in my heart for them, but I would feel like a damn fool supporting them, when they clearly don't care and are not putting forth an effort.

Speaking as a non-hardcore NBA follower who mostly revels in Stern's mistakes after he salted the earth of the Pacific Northwest, I must say that offseason = best season in this league. The round-the-clock who's signing where drama and crazy owners are making this way more memorable than 82 games.

Is it fair to say Knicks ownership roughly == Islanders ownership? Too far? Not far enough?

GiJoccin

You do know that he contracted mono right before year 3 right? (hint: yes)

You do know what mono does to one's body right? (hint: fatigue, muscle weakness, loss of sleep)

You do know how long it takes to recover from mono right? (hint: 6 months+ in up to 22% of cases and up to 40% of cases for symptoms of fatigue alone)

in that same study you quoted (the last one) it says that the prevalence of prolonged illness after mono varies from 1.5-56%, and that prolonged illness was associated with physical inactivity. i highly doubt you can attribute his year of regression to mono.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Speaking as a non-hardcore NBA follower who mostly revels in Stern's mistakes after he salted the earth of the Pacific Northwest, I must say that offseason = best season in this league. The round-the-clock who's signing where drama and crazy owners are making this way more memorable than 82 games.

Is it fair to say Knicks ownership roughly == Islanders ownership? Too far? Not far enough?

I don't know. The Islanders don't try to win and Wang never really spends (except for like DiPietro and Tavares).

He had mono right before the start of year 3 in 2010. He was slated to play on the national team but pulled out due to his fatigue and aftereffects of mono.

You can recover from mono but still suffer symptoms on an ongoing basis -- again, read the NIH study.

I've only "milked that excuse" for like, 2 posts. Fact is you didn't know your facts.

What facts? The fact that Orlando doesnt want him? The fact that that is unlikely to change in the first 3months of the season when NJ can tRade him again? Fact that Brook Lopez is not the kind of player a rebuilding team wants any part of on a max deal? Dwight to the Nets is a pipe dream now.

in that same study you quoted (the last one) it says that the prevalence of prolonged illness after mono varies from 1.5-56%, and that prolonged illness was associated with physical inactivity. i highly doubt you can attribute his year of regression to mono.

So you want to argue that contracting mono before the season -- which forced him to pull out of the national team -- had no effect on his season?

OK..........

What facts? The fact that Orlando doesnt want him?

I would say you are wrong on that. Otis Smith was ready to pull the trigger last off-season before ownership pulled the plug because they thought they could keep him. As of the moment, there are non-basketball reasons that the trade hasn't happened to this point. Two teams were ready to offer him max contracts so it's his current market value.

The funny part is that even healthy, Lopez defenders like to throw out that one time he averaged 8 rebounds a game like its supposed to be impressive for a legit 7 foot center. Bynum had exceeded that mark multiple times in his career with far less minutes, and even I wouldnt consider him a great rebounder or defender. Lopez is just bad in those departments and that isnt likely to change, no matter how many diseases you want to give him credit for recovering from.

Bulls Management has never shown willingness to go above and beyond to put together a contender. They had the chance last year, and all we got was Rip Hamilton. That's the issue. We can say they're saving up for when Derrick is 100%, but we don't really know that they'll go all-in when he is up to par.

Next off-season you'll have a mid-1st, Deng's expiring contract, and Charlotte's future 1st to work with as assets. If you're ever going to go all-in around Rose you should do it then, not now.

They're not going to trade Rip. The draft pick they get will still be trash as they're going to make the playoffs anyway. They won't have capspace, regardless, and you're not going to find a better SG next year than Mayo and Lee that the Bulls could get.

With some combination of the package of assets I mentioned above there are several players you could bring in that are better than Mayo or Lee.

The funny part is that even healthy, Lopez defenders like to throw out that one time he averaged 8 rebounds a game like its supposed to be impressive for a legit 7 foot center.

Twice, brother. Again, no basis in facts.

Bynum had exceeded that mark multiple times in his career with far less minutes, and even I wouldnt consider him a great rebounder or defender. Lopez is just bad in those departments and that isnt likely to change, no matter how many diseases you want to give him credit for recovering from.

Don't be salty

bynum-vs-lopez.png

GiJoccin

So you want to argue that contracting mono before the season -- which forced him to pull out of the national team -- had no effect on his season?

OK..........

you're not allowed to play contact sports for 6 weeks after contracting mono if your spleen gets enlarged, because one elbow to the stomach can rupture the spleen leading to massive hemorrhage, and possibly death. it takes 6 weeks for that to go away, which would be why he didn't play for the national team.

the actual fatigue usually only lasts a week or so.

OK..........

I would say you are wrong on that. Otis Smith was ready to pull the trigger last off-season before ownership pulled the plug because they thought they could keep him. As of the moment, there are non-basketball reasons that the trade hasn't happened to this point. Two teams were ready to offer him max contracts so it's his current market value.

Otis Smith is now sucking dicks behind a local Olive Garden to fund his crack habit, what his retarded machinations were are no longer applicable now that the Magic have someone with a brain running the operation.

Otis Smith is now sucking dicks behind a local Olive Garden to fund his crack habit, what his retarded machinations were are no longer applicable now that the Magic have someone with a brain running the operation.

Not for me to say, but what exactly have the Magic done in the offseason to warrant giving Henny any dap or consider him an upgrade over Otis Smith?

What significant signing have they made?

What significant roster moves have they made?

You are aware that they lost their second leading scorer and rebounder from last year?

Who is their coach?

For all intents and purposes, Henny is continuing to be a weak proxy for ownership and not making the right basketball moves. The Magic as they are constructed are a clusterfuck with a lot of bad blood between their star player and the FO not to mention bad blood between the players (Nelson/Dwight).

Brooks career high in rebounds is 8.6. Bynum has beat that 3 times. Check your own facts.

I didn't say he was a better rebounder. Don't be salty because he dominates Bynum in their head-to-heads.

commish

Not for me to say, but what exactly have the Magic done in the offseason to warrant giving Henny any dap or consider him an upgrade over Otis Smith?

You are aware that they lost their second leading scorer and rebounder from last year?

For all intents and purposes, Henny is continuing to be a weak proxy for ownership and not making the right basketball moves.

I didn't say he was a better rebounder. Don't be salty because he dominates Bynum in their head-to-heads.

They resigned Jameer.

Lol.

For all intents and purposes, Henny is continuing to be a weak proxy for ownership and not making the right basketball moves.

That's awesome. Kenny Thomas used to dominate the lakers head to head too. Go give him a max contract.

And nice try at deflecting from the fact that you were wrong about those "facts" you hold so dear, but maybe youre just recovering from mono so I'll try and be a little more understanding of your shitty performance, since you were so kind to afford Brook that same luxury.

They resigned Jameer.

Lol.

Exactly. They've pretty much sat on their thumbs. Meanwhile, their star center is threatening to sit out the season.

Yeah, great job there, Henny.

That's awesome. Kenny Thomas used to dominate the lakers head to head too. Go give him a max contract.

Haters gonna hate.

And nice try at deflecting from the fact that you were wrong about those "facts" you hold so dear, but maybe youre just recovering from mono so I'll try and be a little more understanding of your shitty performance, since you were so kind to afford Brook that same luxury.

At the end of the day, no one can say if the effects were still lingering during the season. The studies tell us what is likely to happen, but it will be different from individual to indvidual. But it's clear that he suffered weight loss coming into the season and had issues with conditioning due to sitting out a protracted period of the offseason. If you want to hate on the guy, go ahead, but the fact of the matter is that he was suffering from a disease that any reasonable person would say affected his performance on the court during an 82 game season, even if the disease itself was cured.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lol this is so stupid.

Hennigan isn't going to rush and do shit just because the Lakers want it now. He'll wait. And wait. There is absolutely no reason to do a deal now especially with the Rockets lining their ducks up in a row right now.

SUPREME1

Banned
Charlie, nobody is buying what you're selling. Lopez is sligthly better than trash and it's not because of mono. He's not a max contract player and only got it because the Nets were forced to match out of desperation.

Just stop.

Pimpwerx

Any truth to this?

David Lord ‏@DLord_DBdotcom

Mayo deal is one year w a player option for another, and is not a sign-and-trade. 1st year almost certainly $4.5M or less.

I got a big bag of dicks for DY to chow on, if so. I said buddy was on the market because of lack of demand. DY (and someone else) ripped me and said he was still on the market because he was asking for too much. Dude is lucky if he gets the MLE.

I'll re-iterate that the 5th best scorer on a team lacking in scorers is not a good SG. PEACE.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Next off-season you'll have a mid-1st, Deng's expiring contract, and Charlotte's future 1st to work with as assets. If you're ever going to go all-in around Rose you should do it then, not now.

With some combination of the package of assets I mentioned above there are several players you could bring in that are better than Mayo or Lee.
What you say makes sense, and may fill people with hope, but the reality and history don't agree. If they trade Deng's expiring and CHA pick, it would have to be for a HUGE SG (and how many of those are left?), then you would be left with a wide gaping hole at SF. The smart thing this offseason would have been to trade Deng while there's still interest in him (and interest hasn't been this high in years) or keep him and shore up the SG position with Lee or Mayo who could be legitimate starters, create their own shot, and take pressure off of Rose. It's exactly what they need.

Whatever happens, though, the Bulls would have to be proactive in trades, because their history indicates that they will strike out in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom