• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
"My own view is that post-London, we should be thinking about even what soccer does and make it 23 and under," Stern said Monday.

Stern said the league doesn't try and encourage players to play though.

“No, we stay out of it," he said. "The problem is that it's so [ingrained] into the international players that they just always play. And so we were contemplating, even back in the day when we thought we maybe wouldn't allow NBA players to go, that would have deprived us of Yao Ming because the Chinese government never would have let him come to play (in the NBA). And the international players were going anyway. So then it would apply only to American players? So we found ourselves in a bit of an interesting dilemma with the whole thing.”

Stern made sure to say that the United States' international dominance isn't what makes him feel that way saying he doesn't have "a problem with Americans losing in the Olympics. ... We don't have to win everything for it to be great.”
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...-to-restrict-olympics-to-23-and-under-players

Alex Kennedy
League sources believe Amar'e Stoudemire's injured hand will sideline him for the rest of the series. He's almost certainly out for Game 3.

If NYK win the series now, lol.

RBH

I'm so ancient that I remember when Michael Wilbon was more than a preening starfucker bragging about his front-row seats and Nike pals.
https://twitter.com/#!/ScottRaab64/status/197096129098301440

ibu3apmuIt2AFO.jpg

Ultratech

So I was reading Grantland, and they were talking about the playoffs, and this pops up:

'Break in Case of Emergency (But Not With Your Fist) (And Being Down 2-0 Is Not, Technically, an Emergency, FYI)' Moment of the Night

Partially due to frustration and partially due to the too-tight prison-bar cornrows atop his head, after a Game 2 loss Knicks power forward Amar'e Stoudemire punched a glass fire extinguisher door, lacerating his hand. He was later seen leaving the arena in a sling.

C'mon, Amar'e. You can't just go punching glass and think things will be better. We've been over this. It's like you've forgotten what Diddy said about hard times:

"You can’t just choke all your problems away. It takes hard work. If I had my way, I’d never work. I’d just stay home all day, watch Scarface 50 times, eat a turkey sandwich, and have sex all fucking day. Then I’d dress up like a clown, and surprise kids at schools. Then I’d take a dump in the back of a movie theater, and just wait — until somebody sat in it. Hear it squish. That’s funny to me. Then I’d paint, and read, and play violin. I’d climb the mountains, and sing the songs that I like to sing. But I don’t got that kinda time."

You're better than that, Amar'e. —Rembert Browne

That Diddy quote had me on the floor. lol

Emwitus

I personally don't think he deserves it more than Thibs but I can't argue against it. He did an amazing job with a team a lot of people thought would probably limp into the playoffs.

Two 11 game win streaks. 3 all star vets that are not even close to leading the league in minutes surounded by newbies and rejects. No, Thibz only justification for winning is no rose. That doesn't cut it.

DominoKid

I want to see him with a great coach and a better organization first before I judge him.

we'll see. at least he recognizes he sucked this year. so thats a start.

he's a NC kid so im rooting for him just off that. plus he's one of my favorite players in general.

Two 11 game win streaks. 3 all star vets that are not even close to leading the league in minutes surounded by newbies and rejects. No, Thibz only justification for winning is no rose. That doesn't cut it.

"Tibs not having the league MVP for half the year and two of their other best players missing a ton of games yet still getting the best record in the league" yeah doesn't cut it.

I don't disagree with the voters but it's easy to ignore a lot of things.

Derrick01

Banned

and no rip and no deng for 12 games.

Like I said though I can't argue against it. Pop did an amazing job.

Gabyskra

Banned

PG: Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, John Wall
SG: James Harden, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry
SF: Kevin Durant, Thaddeus Young
PF: Kevin Love, Blake Griffin
C: Greg Monroe, DeMarcus Cousins

And it's pretty lucky considering that some of them are just born at the end of the '88 year (Love, Curry)...

They wouldn't gel the way European teams get to gel over the course of generations. It's a team sports, and European teams are long term projects, not just one-shots. You need a core that sticks around to really compete.

Rubio / Navarro / Fernandez / Gasol / Gasol would spank them.

You guys do know we didn't have Manu for most of the season right?

What Pop did this season:
1) got the best record in the league while limiting everyones minutes and tanking multiple games
2) completely changed the spurs offense (carry over from last year)
3) integrated 3 midseason acquisitions seamlessly (JAX, Diaw, Patty)
4) believed in the young guys and developed their talents
5) used outcasts that nobody believed in (Diaw, Jax, Danny, Patty) or had the coaching talent to use properly
6) kept everyone focused through injuries (esp. Manu's); everyone played hard, and even won occassionally, in those tank games
7) challenged Tony Parker to take over the team.

..the list goes on. The day-to-day stuff he does--motivating, teaching, etc--is whats most important though.

There is really no argument for anyone else to have won COTY. If the award was given to the best coach in the league he'd win every year. It'd be ridiculous to give Thibs two in a row when Pop had only won one. Besides, its not like beating the Bobcats and Wizards every other game is that big of an accomplishment anyhow. Especially since Thibs had to run his guys into the ground to do it.

giri

Runs some of the worst set offense in the league.

Doesn't control minutes properly.

Poor injury and player management.

You're right. There are a lot of things to argue against thibs going back to back.

Gabyskra

Banned
It'd be ridiculous to give Thibs two in a row when Pop had only won one.

Oh fuck that, forget even the contextual elements to it, Pop was easily the best coach this year. Anyone that disagrees just does not care about basketball. Just look at that fucking minutes distribution this season, and the personnel! Amazing. I've never seen that on such a successful team before.

giri

Oh fuck that, forget even the contextual elements to it, Pop was easily the best coach this year. Anyone that disagrees just does not care about basketball. Just look at that fucking minutes distribution this season, and the personnel! Amazing. I've never seen that on such a successful team before.

I think COTY is given out a lot of times to people that are a little undeserving.

It still flaws me that Jerry Sloan never won it.

Canuck76

Banned
Runs some of the worst set offense in the league.

Doesn't control minutes properly.

Poor injury and player management.

You're right. There are a lot of things to argue against thibs going back to back.

Lol this. May have won a bunch of regular season games

Doesn't matter if your stars aren't rested and get horrific injuries

I like his intensity but you have to know how to prepare for the postseason.

It's weird how people criticize Thibs for playing guys like Deng 40mpg.

10 years ago if you were a perimeter player under 30 and good, you played heavy minutes.

you'd be considered a weak bitch if you didn't. Today, ZOMG HE PLAYED 35 MINUTES!!!

Russell Westbrook plays 35mpg. That's a shame.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

10 years ago if you were a perimeter player under 30 and good, you played heavy minutes.

you'd be considered a weak bitch if you didn't. Today, ZOMG HE PLAYED 35 MINUTES!!!

Same thing with baseball. They over manage pitch counts, and how often someone can pitch, where pulling a strong starter after 100 pitches a couple decades ago would be out of the question.

Deng played heavy minutes, got injured, was played heavy minutes while recovering and played heavy minutes injured.

It was really foolish.

giri

Because these days people are more conscious of injury and minute management to get the most out of a players career not just this year, but until they're 35.

At a guess.

I really don't know.

But thats what it is when i look at it.

I mean, Thibs is obviously still one of the best coaches in the league. He got a hell of a lot out of his players.

But he has some glaring flaws that need to be covered. Flaws is even probably too strong a word.

Canuck76

Banned

I get that sentiment. Lebron, YNB, Durant, those guys i think Brooks and Spo can play as much as possible. Those guys are all super well conditioned, super athletic guys who are pretty injury prone.

In this case Thibs had Deng and Rose who were injury maligned this year quite a bit. Instead of resting them full stop he'd play them every chance he could. Which brings more injuries but also kind of messes up the rhythm of the team as it's a different rotation every 3 or 5 nights.

Where as if you rest them up till full health then you have guys who have good chemistry because they're playing together a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom