• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

rage1973

I am still pissed that Brown refused to put in Barnes in the game for Blake and put Kobe on Miller. It was ridiculous that Brown left Blake on Miller the whole time while Miller was torching them the entire 4th quarter. And why did Sessions seem so shaky in the 4th quarter? He had 3 or 4 open looks at the three when they doubled Bynum and didn't even think about taking a shot and passed it right away to covered Kobe.

Canuck76

Banned
Didn't see it posted, but a really good interview with Oden was posted on Grantland:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career

No troll, it's genuinely fascinating.

Mike Brown is no Phil Jackson.

Geez man. This part got to me "It's easy to forget just how promising Greg looked in the fall of 2009. In his last seven games before the fateful game against Houston at home, he averaged 15.6 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 2.4 blocks in just 26 minutes per game, including a 20-rebound performance against Miami in what would be the last full game of his career thus far."

I wish Portland would have an external audit done of the all medical staff just to put that issue behind the team. I can't imagine there guilt free in the Greg Oden saga. They really need to find out what they did wrong and how they can do better next time.

We can't afford another #1 pick bust again. We just can't

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I can't wait until NFL-Age does something similar and CoffeeJanitor comes in here and says that it would be great if we made a Google Doc for a future meet-up like NFL-Age did.

Canuck76

Banned
They rolled the dice on players with a history of injury.

Well in that article it maybe sounds like he was pushed to come back too soon and people weren't really keeping tabs with him when he wasn't in the building.

No veterans really reached out a hand to him. So i think there definitely some things we did wrong besides selecting him.

reilo

Well in that article it maybe sounds like he was pushed to come back too soon and people weren't really keeping tabs with him when he wasn't in the building.

In the article, Oden clearly states that he pushed himself to come back sooner, not the other way around.

No veterans really reached out a hand to him. So i think there definitely some things we did wrong besides selecting him.

Takes two to tango.

Branduil

They rolled the dice on players with a history of injury.

It looks like we also get confirmation that Portland has the worst medical staff in basketball.

In Greg’s case, every exercise or target area needing improvement on his list required slow, yet focused repetitions. If Greg was asked to walk, run, squat or jump, he placed more of the load on his left leg than his weaker right leg. I informed the medical staff that this overload would put Greg at risk for a major acute injury to his left leg. Greg’s imbalance was so distinct that I even advised that staff that if he didn’t improve the weaknesses in the short-term and continue some of the rehab-like exercises for the entire season, his career could be at risk.

And you can believe it or not, but the medical staff laughed off my recommendations.
In fact, we spent nearly two hours at dinner with the medical staff questioning my results and looking for reasons to discredit the results rather than search for solutions to keep the team’s multimillion dollar athlete on the court. At one point, one member of the medical staff informed me that Greg suffered from a true anatomical leg length shortness on the right side. As a result of that diagnosis, Greg had been prescribed, by physicians, to wear a heel lift in his right shoe. Well doc, I hate to be the one to tell you again, but the heel lift actually increases the load and the amount of anterior/posterior shear (forward/backward sliding) on Greg’s right knee, contributing to his need to undergo several micro-fracture surgeries.

The results of Greg’s biomechanics assessments created doubt in my mind about the leg length claims. However, I suggested an alternative to a heel lift if they truly believed that a shorter right leg was a contributing factor to his knee injuries. The solution, for an athlete with Greg’s height and leg length, an entire shoe lift (orthopedic shoe on the right side) would reduce the sheer forces in the joint and keep Greg healthy while he continued the rehab.

You can imagine the laughter that filled the restaurant from the table. “No one wears a shoe lift,” one staffer replied. “That’s crazy. Where would we get one?”
To which I replied, “Hey Nike is Greg’s shoe sponsor and they are right down the street. I’m sure they could customize a shoe lift for one of their star athletes if it keeps him healthy.” To my knowledge, no shoe lift was ordered for Greg.

Despite the medical staff’s objections to further testing, Assistant General Manager Tom Penn was sold on the results and wanted the entire team tested. Over the next two weeks, we scheduled a visit to Portland to test the entire team at the start of the preseason. Testing, of those players not in camp or available at the time for biomechanics testing during my visit to Portland, would be completed during a practice session in Los Angeles prior to a preseason game with the Clippers.

After completing testing of the entire team (in Portland and LA) and a retest of Greg Oden in Portland, I was astonished at the results of the athletes on the Trailblazer teams. While some athletes demonstrated more biomechanical efficiency than others. The results of several athletes stood out: Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, and Joel Pryzbilla. Each of their results showed imbalances, which if gone untreated, would lead to long-term, career threatening, chronic knee issues among other random supposedly unrelated injuries.

Well you may not recall but in 2009, Joel Pryzbilla and Greg Oden both suffered patella or patella tendon injuries . The reports submitted to the team and its medical staff both specifically identified significant amounts of stress on each player’s patella tendon and knee joints as a result of compensating for opposite leg weaknesses and physical limitations.
From 2008 through 2012, all three players had each undergone at least one surgery each (that we know of). Oden has had at least three major surgeries since 2008, and Brandon Roy is retired after undergoing at least three procedures since 2008.
Neither player consistently contributed significantly to the team as a result of the physical condition of their bodies. Based upon my assessments back in 2008 and the marginal access I have had to follow their histories, each player’s the risk of each injury could have been significantly reduced or prevented all together. So I say this to Greg , Brandon, Joel, and every other professional athlete…get a second opinion outside of the team. Take control of your body and your career. Over the past two years, I have written about the risks of injuries associated with biomechanical deficiencies.

reilo

It looks like we also get confirmation that Portland has the worst medical staff in basketball.

It's already been established that the Zig guy or whatever is a con artist and has been charged with fraud several times, and is currently under investigation for shady business dealings.

Also, any one of us dolts on here could write an article like that without ever having been inside a practice facility.

During his stay in Los Angeles, the blind dog that Greg had raised for the past four years crawled through a hotel balcony railing and fell eight stories to its death. Shortly thereafter, he found out that his cousin from the Air Force — someone who had remained close with Greg, even though they probably should never have been roommates — had been diagnosed with cancer. He died just six weeks later.

What the fuck.

h3ro

I can't wait until NFL-Age does something similar and CoffeeJanitor comes in here and says that it would be great if we made a Google Doc for a future meet-up like NFL-Age did.

If that's the case, ez can nurse him through his next breakdown.

Branduil

It's already been established that the Zig guy or whatever is a con artist and has been charged with fraud several times, and is currently under investigation for shady business dealings.

Also, any one of us dolts on here could write an article like that without ever having been inside a practice facility.

You still think Portland doesn't easily have the worst training staff in sports after all the crap that happens to your players?

reilo

You still think Portland doesn't easily have the worst training staff in sports after all the crap that happens to your players?

Outside of Greg and Roy (with known injury history), which of the players that got injured have not returned 100%?

Branduil

Outside of Greg and Roy (with known injury history), which of the players that got injured have not returned 100%?

So outside of their two most important players who should have had the focus of their best medical experts and never should have been put in a position for reoccurring injuries?

linsivvi

I would never believe in the opinion of a random columnist. It sounds like he wanted to put all the blame on the Blazers even though Oden never alluded to such thing. It is a hit piece.

reilo

So outside of their two most important players who should have had the focus of their best medical experts and never should have been put in a position for reoccurring injuries?
You do realize that the Blazers pretty much see the same doctors that the rest of the league does, right?

Did you know Roy had PRP done before Kobe made it cool? When I say Veil, CO and Dr Richard Steadman, what comes to mind?

Branduil

You do realize that the Blazers pretty much see the same doctors that the rest of the league does, right?

Did you know Roy had PRP done before Kobe made it cool? When I say Veil, CO and Dr Richard Steadman, what comes to mind?

Well seeing those doctors doesn't necessarily mean anything since apparently the Blazers' staff likes to laugh at suggestions from outsiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom