• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT| Tanks for the Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Today had to be one of the most bizarre playoff days of all time.

Knicks destruction and Iman done.

OKC pulling off upset win after being down 15 with just a few minutes left to play.

Chicago loses Rose again.

Orlando actually won.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Seriously, this could be a Penny/Grant Hill moment...

Maybe giri is right and it's a blessing in disguise but why the fuck should I be optimistic at this point?
Giri calls this a blessing in disguise, yet thinks I'm insane. Lol

I now feel a little bad for trashing Rose so much last year. If only I knew injuries would reduce him to possibly Jameer Rose.
If it makes you feel any better, no one was paying any attention to you. :)

THRILLH0

Banned
I now feel a little bad for trashing Rose so much last year. If only I knew injuries would reduce him to possibly Jameer Rose.

carusofuckyou2rr.gif

THRILLH0

Banned
It's not so bad, Jameer made the All-Star team. And not a fraud berth like Mo Gotti, he was first ballot yo.

Haha fuck you man, the worst of it is until/if/when/FML Rose actually gets us out of the east I can't even argue... :(

I don't know, worst case scenario he's still a top 5 PG in the league. Maybe.

After Derrick Rose suffered a season-ending ACL tear during the Chicago Bulls' 103-91 win over the Philadelphia 76ers in Game 1 of their first-round playoff series on Saturday afternoon, the reaction of NBA fans, media members and fellow players alike consisted largely of shock and sorrow. A bummed-out legion began to wrap its mind around the enormity of the 2011 NBA MVP's injury and what it means for the top-seeded Bulls' title hopes and, potentially, the career arc of one of the league's brightest young superstars.

I say "largely" because the reaction also contained stuff like this bon mot from the Twitter account of Jason Petrie, a "senior footwear designer at Nike," according to LinkedIn, and the designer of the popular Nike basketball sneakers worn and endorsed by Miami Heat star LeBron James:

WLzZ2.jpg

"Pooh," of course, is the nickname Rose was given by his grandmother when he was a kid. Rose, of course, wears and endorses adidas shoes; the Bulls point guard recently signed a 13-year endorsement deal with the shoemaker that, with incentives, could pay him more than $200 million. The intimation, of course, is that Rose wouldn't have torn a ligament in his left knee if the shoes on his feet when he landed that jump stop were emblazoned with a swoosh. Of course.

In this context, the hashtag "#GWS" likely stands for "get well soon." That'd make sense, anyway. That's what you always say to someone who just, for example, suffered a severe injury and is going to need surgery, rehabilitation and an awful lot of rest and healing before he can resume regular life activities, let alone go back to being one of the best basketball players alive.

The other stuff, though? Where you use the horrendous trauma someone just suffered as a snickering means of, what, promoting your brand? That doesn't make sense. That's not what you say.

Oh, you might think it — Petrie's tweet wasn't the only one I saw that made the "correlation equals causation" jump between Rose and New York Knicks rookie Iman Shumpert wearing adidas on the court and suffering injuries on Saturday. But you don't say it. Not if you've got some compassion, sense or perspective.

Or even just some appreciation for the fact that, as a representative for brands as mammoth as Nike and LeBron James, snarkily reveling in someone else's trauma — especially a well-liked someone like Rose, whom "everyone loves," according to James' Heat teammate Dwyane Wade, who's signed with Nike subsidiary Jordan Brand — probably isn't a great move, corporate-wise.

Petrie followed up his statement that Rose "chose poorly" in not signing with Nike by claiming that "Y'all" — presumably the number of people who took issue with the way Petrie responded to Rose's injury — "take sh#t too serious! Never want to see anyone get hurt- I hope DRose comes back stronger than ever, he's too good." Not an apology, strictly speaking, but it at least contained a nice word or two for the injured Rose. Then, though, he bowed his back and brought back that sneer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...-derrick-rose-adidas-man-chose-040710618.html

My condolences to Bulls-Age. :(

There now really is no excuse for the Heat not to win it this year. They pretty much have a bye to the Finals.

Boston is the only team remaining in the East that poses any meager challenge to the Heat. And I'm sure someone on Boston will get injured before they faceoff so that series will likely be a formality as well. Looks like the EC playoffs are going to be boring this year.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Seriously, this could be a Penny/Grant Hill moment...

Maybe giri is right and it's a blessing in disguise but why the fuck should I be optimistic at this point?

It's painful to think that we might've witnessed a whole career and team's championship window go up in flames in the blink of an eye. I blame Thibs.

I just realized something:

2011 MVP: Derrick Rose - Out for playoffs -injury
2011 DPOY: Dwight Howard - Out for playoffs - injury
2011 6MOY: Lamar Odom - Out for playoffs - injury (broken heart)
2011 MIP: Kevin Love - Out for playoffs -injury to whole team and him
2011 Sportmanship: Stephen Curry - Out for playoffs - injury (and bad team)
2011 Citizenship: Ron Artest - Out for 6 games - Suspension

2011 RotY - Blake Griffin....tread lightly, Blake. tread lightly...

Fox318

I just realized something:

2011 MVP: Derrick Rose - Out for playoffs -injury
2011 DPOY: Dwight Howard - Out for playoffs - injury
2011 6MOY: Lamar Odom - Out for playoffs - injury (broken heart)
2011 MIP: Kevin Love - Out for playoffs -injury to whole team and him
2011 Sportmanship: Stephen Curry - Out for playoffs - injury (and bad team)
2011 Citizenship: Ron Artest - Out for 6 games - Suspension

2011 RotY - Blake Griffin....tread lightly, Blake. tread lightly...

Lockout bball

Canuck76

Banned
Wow Larmarcus talking about Felton and Crawfull and the backroom drama

(On the boston blowout in which they trailed 43pts at one point)
"I wanted to slap everyone on the (expletive) team," Aldridge said. "I'm like, 'What the (expletive) you all doin'? I actually said 'If y'all don't want to play tonight, tell Nate and he will take you out of the game.' I said it like six times during that game. I was mad."

(on him being a leader and asking people to step up)
"I have an answer for that," Aldridge interrupted. "I have an answer. I went to everybody, and I said what you are saying. I went as far to say, 'Look, we're not playing for (McMillan), let's play for each other.' The thing about when you say how stars or the main guys have to do that -- these guys were telling me all the right (expletive). I went to Ray and I'm like, 'Hey, forget Nate. I know you don't like him, but let's play. Do you want to be here for five years? Then show us.'

I encourage you guys to read the full article but yeah. Things got pretty crazy.

Mxrz

"Y'all look real stunned," Magic center Glen Davis, Howard's replacement, yelled at the crowd as he left the court. "Y'all look real stunned."

This would have been a great thing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom