• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT2| OKC VS LA: Black on Black Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Hey guys, why do all NBA games have to finish with 2-3 commercial breaks in the final minute, and guys slapping each other on purpose, taking up about 15-20 minutes of real time? Buzz killlllllllllllllllll.

diehard

Fleer
Rondo is 6'1. LeBron is 6'8 (a massive one for that height)

The only thing Rondo truly has to be embarrassed about is his free throw shooting.

Usually 3-9 feet for guards are floaters, and 30% is still very low for any guard.

Any guard that shoots less than say 40% efg on jumpshots should be extremely embarrassed.

If any player has a TS% under 50%.. you should be embarrassed.

charsace

If Lebron can't beat the celtics then I don't see how people can rate him highly. Losing to a team of old men that lacks depth would not look good not matter how you try to explain it away. If a good defensive team with Wade, an NBA champion and Finals MVP, as is wing man and 3 point shooting isn't enough to be some old dudes then Lebron will never have enough players. The celtics aren't Bird's Celtics or the Bad Boy Pistons. Lebron better be able to beat a team of broken down old men.

Personally Lebron barely makes my top 5 at the sf position all time. I think the current rules and the focus on the 2 man game inflates guy's scoring stats. So all these great numbers Lebron is putting up don't mean as much to me. If Rick Barry played today he would put up some wicked numbers too since his midrange scoring was much better than Lebron's and he was also great at scoring around the basket.

linsivvi

It's true.

16ft to 3pt

Lebron: 38.5FG% (335)
Rondo: 40.4FG% (141)
Wade: 35FG% (183)

3pt+

Lebron: 54.3eFG% (163)
Rondo: 39.1eFG% (46)
Wade: 39.2eFG% (65)

FGA in parentheses.

You know what's funny?

16ft to 3pt

LeBron: 35.8eFG% (466)
Rondo: 46.2eFG% (249)
Wade: 36.8eFG% (334)

07-08

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Usually 3-9 feet for guards are floaters, and 30% is still very low for any guard.

Any guard that shoots less than say 40% efg on jumpshots should be extremely embarrassed.

That Jason Kidd, such an embarrassment of a player.

Sanjuro

I don't think that specific statistic identifies the type of player that Rondo is.

diehard

Fleer
That Jason Kidd, such an embarrassment of a player.

There is a difference between being an embarrassment of a player and embarrassed at your scoring ability. Kidd only won a ring when he had a TS of 50%+ ... so there.
I don't think that specific statistic identifies the type of player that Rondo is.

That statistic is the #1 reason the Celtics lost to the Lakers in the finals last time.

reilo

There is a difference between being an embarrassment of a player and embarrassed at your scoring ability. Kidd only won a ring when he has a TS of 50%+ ... so there.

That statistic is the #1 reason the Celtics lost the Lakers in the finals last time.

Rondo's TS% in the 2008 Playoffs was 45% and 50% in 2010... so there.

SUPREME1

Banned
Celtics - die in a vat of baked beans
Heat - die of PED overdose
Spurs - die of old age
Thunder - stub a toe

I just don't hate them quite yet.

reilo

The Heat are going to advance to the Finals unless Wade and/or LeBron goes down for an extended period of time. There's no reason to discuss a possible loss to the Pacers, Celtics, or Sixers.

shadowdork says that the Heat aren't favorites anymore.

Sure, but I don't think any of the remaining teams are a ratings nightmare scenario.

OKC and Indiana, possibly.
There are lots of OKC fans across the country due to their physical, yet flashy style of play. Spurs-Pacers would be the doomsday scenario. I would say Sixers, but at least they have a big market.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm not sure about Rondo's eFG% compared to Kidd's looks, but I will say that I've never seen an opposing team comfortably double off of Jason Kidd while he had the ball

reilo

I'm not sure about Rondo's eFG% compared to Kidd's looks, but I will say that I've never seen an opposing team comfortably double off of Jason Kidd while he had the ball

Career TS%

Rondo: 51.3%
Kidd: 50.6%

Career eFG%

Rondo: 48.8%
Kidd: 46.2%

It's worth noting that Kidd's has improved as he got older while Rondo's has gotten worse.

TRios Zen

There are lots of OKC fans across the country due to their physical, yet flashy style of play. Spurs-Pacers would be the doomsday scenario. I would say Sixers, but at least they have a big market.

Agree here. As a Spurs fan I will acknowledge that the NBA doesn't want a Spurs/Indy finals.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass though; 12 more wins and people can call us whatever they want. I'm ready for another Spurs parade on the river.

Sanjuro

Spurs have some of the highest ratings market wise. I would need to look up information, but I would say OKC lacks a strong national appeal and only has average local ratings.

You lost because you had were essentially playing 4 on 5. Kobe was roaming like stray cattle all game long.

Not sure that I follow you. Yes, Kobe was kind of a mess that game.

If a Lebron + scrubs Cavs team (coached by Mike Brown) went all the way to the Finals in an 82 game season then so can a LBJ/Wade + scrubs team (coached by the half filipino legend Spo) in an * season

Agree here. As a Spurs fan I will acknowledge that the NBA doesn't want a Spurs/Indy finals.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass though; 12 more wins and people can call us whatever they want. I'm ready for another Spurs parade on the river.

Oh I definitely understand. I think Popovich is among the best coaches ever and find the Spurs offense a thing of beauty, even if it's extremely frustrating as a fan of the opposing team. I'm just talking about general perception. When I went to the Clippers-Jazz game earlier, I had a great time because we won big, even if it was mostly due to 3 pointers and very few dunks. I know others were disappointed by the lack of high flying, but personally, an efficient offense and defense gets me just as excited.

reilo

It's odd blaming Rondo for that loss considering the Lakers won that game with Kobe shooting 6/24, Pierce 5/15, Allen 3/14, Pau 6/16, and Rondo 6/13.

Nevermind the fact that four of Rondo's misses were inside the paint.

But yes diehard, please keep on drumming away for your hate of any non-(ex-)Jazz pointguard.

Sanjuro

Career TS%

Rondo: 51.3%
Kidd: 50.6%

Career eFG%

Rondo: 48.8%
Kidd: 46.2%

It's worth noting that Kidd's has improved as he got older while Rondo's has gotten worse.

That is the point, Rondo really isn't that type of player to put up those numbers. He had his "God-Mode" season where he just put up a ton of shots in 2010. I think retrospectively that was the best thing that he could have done at that point in his career.

If I had to guess, Rondo's shooting inefficiencies are a physical. He has great arm reach which will help him excel in the important PG categories, but I don't think it will ever help him develop a smooth and consistent shot. That is one of the reasons why I bring up the numbers is due to the fact he is serviceable (except the line). I don't expect him to have numbers anywhere close to the players used in today's comparisons.

diehard

Fleer
It's odd blaming Rondo for that loss considering the Lakers won that game with Kobe shooting 6/24, Pierce 5/15, Allen 3/14, Pau 6/16, and Rondo 6/13.

But yes diehard, please keep on drumming away for your hate of any non-(ex-)Jazz pointguard.

Anyone who actually watched that series could tell how much of a lack of a jumper hurt that team, i'm not just talking about game 7. Part of the reason why Allen was 3/14 and Pierce 5/15 in game 7 was because of Kobe's ability to help off Rondo. I love stats and certainly cite them a lot, but they don't tell the story here.

I don't like Rondo's game and think he is overrated, and i dont like Paul's personality and flopping, but keep drumming away on that "You hate any PG who isnt Deron" line.

Nevermind the fact that four of Rondo's misses were inside the paint.

It's almost like basketball doesn't take place in a vacuum and the lack of defensive attention on one player can cause other players to have more defensive attention and force them off their spots and cause them to struggle.

TRios Zen

If a Lebron + scrubs Cavs team (coached by Mike Brown) went all the way to the Finals in an 82 game season then so can a LBJ/Wade + scrubs team (coached by the half filipino legend Spo) in an * season

The east really sucked that year, and Cavs got pounded in finals. This year there were two real contenders in the east before injuries (IMO) and a team with a punchers chance (Bulls, Heat, Celtics, respectively).

Post injuries, the only challenge the Celtics should have is in the Conference finals (Pacers are a year away I think). I'd pick the Heat to win that anyway, but with a LOT of misgivings. When the lights get bright, KG/Pierce tend to shine and unfortunately right now, neither Lebron nor Wade have proven to consistently be able to do that.

reilo

Anyone who actually watched that series could tell how much of a lack of a jumper hurt that team, i'm not just talking about game 7. Part of the reason why Allen was 3/14 and Pierce 5/15 in game 7 was because of Kobe's ability to help off Rondo.

I don't like Rondo's game and think he is overrated, and i dont like Paul's personality and flopping, but keep drumming away on that "You hate any PG who isnt Deron" line.

But we already know that you are wrong about Rondo for a simple reason: they won it all in 2008.

To retroactively blame Rondo for that 2010 series loss is... bizarre. To say that point-guards who can't shoot aren't championship caliber is just factually wrong.

PBY

Banned
Campaign-Front.jpg

Campaign-Back.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzcpyqnt1qe7nt7

diehard

Fleer
But we already know that you are wrong about Rondo for a simple reason: they won it all in 2008.

To retroactively blame Rondo for that 2010 series loss is... bizarre. To say that point-guards who can't shoot aren't championship caliber is just factually wrong.

this is retarded i'm done. I just have to accept that anyone who has won a ring is "championship caliber" i guess.

DY_nasty

Not being able to shoot is one thing. Not being able to even attract or demand attention, especially in the final possessions of a game, is entirely different.

charsace

The Heat are going to advance to the Finals unless Wade and/or LeBron goes down for an extended period of time. There's no reason to discuss a possible loss to the Pacers, Celtics, or Sixers.

I've seen talk about the Heat possibly losing because of Bosh(lol) being out. People are already laying the ground work for their excuses for Lebron.

reilo

this is retarded i'm done. I just have to accept that anyone who has won a ring is "championship caliber" i guess.

Are you saying that Rondo is not? Nobody is saying Rondo is the greatest point-guard of all time, but your stance that he is a scrub and needs to be shit-talked about is bizarre.

The dude just posted his 8th career triple double the other day... in the playoffs. That doesn't happen on accident.

My argument is that a point-guards ability to be a great shooter might be overstated given the history of recent championship constructed teams.

Did you guys know that Tony Parker had a FG% of 36% on 16-3pt jumpshots, 48eFG% on 3pt in 2003? 40%, 38eFG% on 3pt in 2005? 40%, 55eFG% on 3pt in 2007?

How big of a liability was he for the Spurs?

Do I even mention Derek Fisher?

diehard

Fleer
Oh right i forgot, i remember Tony Parker standing around with his defender literally 10 feet away from him in crucial moments of the Finals.. Derek Fisher too.. they would leave that guy soooo open.

DY_nasty

Have you watched a Celtics game in the last two years?
Guys would rather double off of Rondo to help guard Ray Allen or Pierce than stay and respect his shooting. You can't win like that. He'll beast for 44 minutes of a game, but if its still close after that - he's a liability. I can't even begin to explain how much pressure it puts on the rest of the team when your ball handler is the one being ignored.

Hell, the only reason Rondo even got that series ending inbound against Atlanta was because the entire Hawks roster couldn't believe that the worst shooter on the court was actually going to get the ball.

TRios Zen

While I wouldn't go as far as calling Rondo a scrub - Diehard does have a point that the standard defense in a half-court set would be to sag off of Rondo and dare him to shoot.

reilo

Oh right i forgot, i remember Tony Parker standing around with his defender literally 10 feet away from him in crucial moments of the Finals.. Derek Fisher too.. they would leave that guy soooo open.

Since 2000...

Parker, Kidd, Rondo, Fisher: 11 championships, 17 finals appearances.

But yeah, of course, you need a point-guard that can shoot and all that bullshit.

Sanjuro

Guys would rather double off of Rondo to help guard Ray Allen or Pierce than stay and respect his shooting. You can't win like that. He'll beast for 44 minutes of a game, but if its still close after that - he's a liability. I can't even begin to explain how much pressure it puts on the rest of the team when your ball handler is the one being ignored.

Hell, the only reason Rondo even got that series ending inbound against Atlanta was because the entire Hawks roster couldn't believe that the worst shooter on the court was actually going to get the ball.

I'm not fully disagreeing with you, but they certainly have been respecting him for a while now. Just not as a complete shooter. They respect the fact that he is one of the best passers in the league and don't want to look stupid when he gets the ball past them.

DY_nasty

While I wouldn't go as far as calling Rondo a scrub - Diehard does have a point that the standard defense in a half-court set would be to sag off of Rondo and dare him to shoot.

Rondo is no scrub. He's a true anomaly of a player.

The fact that he doesn't even warrant a dedicated defender is just... wow. At this stage of his career too? At least get a set 3pt shot in the corner or something. If Dwight can learn a post-game, he should be able to learn how to convince a team to take him seriously.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Since 2000...

Parker, Kidd, Rondo, Fisher: 11 championships, 17 finals appearances.

But yeah, of course, you need a point-guard that can shoot and all that bullshit.

One of those guys is unlike the others.

The notion that Rondo is overrated is crazy considering the general lack of respect he gets from anybody really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom