• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Playoffs |OT2| OKC VS LA: Black on Black Crime

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
One of those guys is unlike the others.

The notion that Rondo is overrated is crazy considering the general lack of respect he gets from anybody really.

Fisher is the only above average shooter out of that group, but nobody would claim that he was a point-guard to be respected.

Parker is arguably as bad of a shooter as Rondo.

This really is LeBron's chance to show what he's got. Time for us to see the post game.............which he has mostly not done lately. But we will see tomorrow now that he's forced into that spot.

We are still the damn favorites in my mind, but even with Bosh in I would have been equally terrified of the Celtics, but that's just me.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm not fully disagreeing with you, but they certainly have been respecting him for a while now. Just not as a complete shooter. They respect the fact that he is one of the best passers in the league and don't want to look stupid when he gets the ball past them.
Avery Bradley is going to be the best thing that ever happened to him next year.

Once the Celtics HoFs start to leave, it'll give Rondo a chance to show that he's more than what he is now.

Sanjuro

He is a far better dresser though. Intangibles.

Avery Bradley is going to be the best thing that ever happened to him next year.

Once the Celtics HoFs start to leave, it'll give Rondo a chance to show that he's more than what he is now.

I love Bradley as well. I think Doc is going to have a field day with those two.

DY_nasty

This really is LeBron's chance to show what he's got. Time for us to see the post game.............which he has mostly not done lately. But we will see tomorrow now that he's forced into that spot.

We are still the damn favorites in my mind, but even with Bosh in I would have been equally terrified of the Celtics, but that's just me.

That still pissed me off in the NY series. Even more than ignoring Bosh for all 5 games when he had a glaring mismatch from start to finish.

NY essentially got away with putting Baron on Lebron whenever they wanted. I can't even begin to understand that shit.
Fisher is the only above average shooter out of that group, but nobody would claim that he was a point-guard to be respected.

Parker has to be guarded and his no issue creating his own shot. Rondo shoots Ibaka jumpers.

cmon

reilo

That really is not true. Parker gets much more pressure from the opponents.
Parker has to be guarded and his no issue creating his own shot. Rondo shoots Ibaka jumpers.

cmon

Parker takes far more jumpshots and shoots just as bad of a percentage beyond the freethrow line.

16-3pt

Rondo ('08): 46% (249)
Parker ('03): 36% (308)
Rondo ('10): 35% (216)
Parker ('05): 40% (345)
Rondo ('12): 40% (141)
Parker ('12): 38% (268)

Gabyskra

Banned
Parker takes far more jumpshots and shoots just as bad of a percentage beyond the freethrow line.

16-3pt

What's all that about? Parker is never left alone. Plus you leave out many years to prove your point.

One of those guys is unlike the others.

The notion that Rondo is overrated is crazy considering the general lack of respect he gets from anybody really.

He got MVP votes for leading the 25th ranked offense in the NBA (Yeah, they don't offensive rebound, but the Celtics are below average in drawing fouls, good but not great in eFG%, and turn the ball over a ton).

DY_nasty

16-3pt

One guy is guarded. The other one is consistently doubled off of.

There is no stat for being ignored. TP is given a general cushion, like many players with limited range. Rondo is flatout disrespected by nearly every team in the league - and he can't take advantage of it.

reilo

What's all that about? Parker is never left alone. Plus you leave out many years to prove your point.

I chose finals appearances and most recent years. I can go through every single season and it would tell a similar story.

reilo

One guy is guarded. The other one is consistently doubled off of.

There is no stat for being ignored. TP is given a general cushion, like many players with limited range. Rondo is flatout disrespected by nearly every team in the league - and he can't take advantage of it.

Right, and I am saying it matters none. Point-guards that can shoot are overrated -- and the championship teams that have been constructed in the recent history of the NBA proves that.

reilo

Good point. I don't get this discussion about two of the five best PGs in the league, it's seeing the glass 3/4 empty when it's 3/4 full at this point.

It is. I am not arguing who's the better shooter or whatever. My argument is that both suck at shooting and that it matters not a single bit if you want to win a championship or even make the finals.

charsace

Your post speaks says a lot about Lebron's greatness when you are worried about this Celtics team. Jordan and Pippen would wreck this Celtics team.

And the problem with Rondo is that he passes on open shots a lot. If Rondo took open shots when had them teams would worry about him shooting the ball. That's the reason why coaches tell kids to take the open jumper when they have it. Guys will have to respect the fact that you are willing to take the open shot. Tony Parker takes the open midrange jumper when he has it or when he catches from 3 he will pump fake and then drive or pull up for the jumper. Rondo almost always resets and looks to pass the ball instead of shooting.

DY_nasty

edit^ fair enough. 3/4 empty 3/4 full and 3/4 of I've never seen any point guard like this is pretty stout
Again, I can't accept that. They are respecting his greatest quality as a player.
I like Rondo

But respecting his greatest quality as a player is disingenuous. He is a great passer - but defending great passers means better communication from opposing defenses not running away from the guy with the ball as if he isn't really there. He could do so much for his team if he could simply hit a free throw. Hell, if he could consistently shoot a 15ft jumper with confidence instead of shitting his pants, he'd open things up. He's had the benefit of being gifted an outstanding floor that essentially spaces itself between Ray, Pierce, and Garnett - there will always be room for any point guard to operate on that kind of floor. Almost every other point guard has to contribute to opening up that floor in some way though. Rondo doesn't do that. He takes advantage of his environment - he doesn't influence it at all.

TRios Zen

16-3pt

Are we arguing that offensively, Parker is a deeper liability to his team than Rondo...?

Really?!

relio, you're arguing that PGs that can shoot are overrated by using examples of guys that were around the 6th best players on their teams when they won and most of those examples were of guys that were spotup shooters. The other examples include one of the best scoring PGs in the NBA and Rondo, who was playing with a top 3 player in the NBA (top 15 of all time) and two other Hall of Fame players playing at a high level. These ideas are intriguing.

DY_nasty

Are we arguing that offensively, Parker is a deeper liability to his team than Rondo...?

Really?!
It definitely looked that way to me too.

I don't even see a point of lining up Rondo's shooting next to any other heavy ballhandler in the league...

TRios Zen

It is. I am not arguing who's the better shooter or whatever. My argument is that both suck at shooting and that it matters not a single bit if you want to win a championship or even make the finals.

I think I'm following you now, but I think you might be missing a big part of Parker's game - his dribble penetration shots.

How many shots/what his shooting percentage at the basket - that is what won him his Finals MVP, not his jump shot.

Look I don't hate Rondo - kid can drop some great assists, but he is an offensive liability in the half-court set.

Sanjuro

I like Rondo

But respecting his greatest quality as a player is disingenuous. He is a great passer - but defending great passers means better communication from opposing defenses not running away from the guy with the ball as if he isn't really there. He could do so much for his team if he could simply hit a free throw. Hell, if he could consistently shoot a 15ft jumper with confidence instead of shitting his pants, he'd open things up. He's had the benefit of being gifted an outstanding floor that essentially spaces itself between Ray, Pierce, and Garnett - there will always be room for any point guard to operate on that kind of floor. Almost every other point guard has to contribute to opening up that floor in some way though. Rondo doesn't do that. He takes advantage of his environment - he doesn't influence it at all.

The point is that we don't need to open things up to the nature you're describing. The Celtics have been successful for years now.

The job of the point guard is to distribute the ball. Anything more is a bonus. He doesn't need to be a feared or respected as a shooter, that is primary job of the other guard on the floor.

reilo

relio, you're arguing that PGs that can shoot are overrated by using examples of guys that were around the 6th best players on their teams when they won and most of those examples were of guys that were spotup shooters. The other examples include one of the best scoring PGs in the NBA and Rondo, who was playing with a top 3 player in the NBA (top 15 of all time) and two other Hall of Fame players playing at a high level. These ideas are intriguing.

Maybe my argument should be that point-guard position is overrated then. Which is funny considering it's the deepest position in the league.

I think I'm following you now, but I think you might be missing a big part of Parker's game - his dribble penetration shots.

How many shots/what his shooting percentage at the basket - that is what won him his Finals MVP, not his jump shot.

Look I don't hate Rondo - kid can drop some great assists, but he is an offensive liability in the half-court set.

Rondo is a dribble penetrating point-guard, too.

DY_nasty

The point is that we don't need to open things up to the nature you're describing. The Celtics have been successful for years now.

The job of the point guard is to distribute the ball. Anything more is a bonus. He doesn't need to be a feared or respected as a shooter, that is primary job of the other guard on the floor.

Oh yeah, definitely. I think that's filled that role just fine - but he's exceeded that role a long time ago and the team depends on him to do more than just distribute whether they want to admit it or not.

And moving towards the future... he's going to have to make some significantly leaps in his game. Its not like he can be Nash and just make things happen no matter who he's surrounded with.

reilo

And that's just sad since its not even that deep, what maybe 8-10 "good" pgs?

There's more than that I reckon, but that would still easily make it the deepest position in this league.

Not sure I agree completely, being able to keep defenses honest is important too. Otherwise, they typically just sag off and give you wide-open jumpers so they can get the rebound.

To say that Rondo is still effective speaks a lot about his talent, I really like him, but given your choice between Rondo, CP3, and Deron, which would you take?

And moving towards the future... he's going to have to make some significantly leaps in his game. Its not like he can be Nash and just make things happen no matter who he's surrounded with.

And Nash can shoot lights out.

charsace

Again, nobody is saying that. Quit assuming.

Rondo is great at driving to the basket. Even then though he will pass up open layups and try to force passes, sometimes resulting in a turnover. Its great that he looks to pass, but sometimes the right play is to TAKE THE SHOT!

Sanjuro

Oh yeah, definitely. I think that's filled that role just fine - but he's exceeded that role a long time ago and the team depends on him to do more than just distribute whether they want to admit it or not.

Any player who plays the game at the professional level should be working towards improving their game. He still is going to require a good surrounding cast of players, that comes with maintaining that position.

He isn't Nash. Rondo is probably closer to Isiah.

Sanjuro

To say that Rondo is still effective speaks a lot about his talent, I really like him, but given your choice between Rondo, CP3, and Deron, which would you take?

It really depends on the team I would be assigning him to.

I would choose Paul or Rondo fairly easily. I don't have too much interest in Deron.

SUPREME1

Banned
KOBEEEEEE

Kobe dagger!

Daaaaaaaaamn, what a shot

KOBE DA BEST

dark as fuck mamba

MAMBA DAGGER

KOBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

OMG KOBE SO CLUTCH

DAGGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Kobe dagger.

kobe wit da ICE

KOBAAAYYYYYYY

Kobe you cold blooded motherfucker.

fucking kobe.

Welcome back Kobe.

Justin Timberlake approves the Kobe 3.

Holyshit. that Kobe DAGGER.

nice 3 by kobe.

Kobe saving his super combo for end.

Yeah Kobeeee

Kobe saving it for that one shot.

MAMBA!!!!

Fall away 26 footer ain't no thing.

ibcigjlifd3Eyn.gif

Just in case y'all forgot.

Still don't get why LeBron gets ripped for leaving a joke organization for one that puts him in a better position to win. Were Wilt and KAJ ripped for doing the same thing? What about Kobe when he wanted to be traded?

Minus the decision and all the other shenanigans, who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom