• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkaz01

To be honest Harden was expendable for a team like okc they can replace his production with cheaper players until they find a suitable replacement.

I think their biggest problem is still the frontcourt. Perkins and ibaka are just not good enough to make a difference.

Harden will be a restricted agent though.

Dwight was restricted too, but he was guilted into picking up his option. Then reality set in and he still wanted out. He would've been a restricted FA this summer if he didn't pick up his option. Harden will get a max deal and OKC already doesn't want to pay that much. He would walk for nothing or OKC loses control over who they can get back. If they didn't want to pay him, trading him now is the best thing to do.

There is nothing to fret about with Harden getting max outside of some unforeseen injury. There is a Cap floor, and that money was going to be spent. It's the next extension that you worry about.

linsivvi

Oh please, you really think the negotiations went through without Harden knowing that if he didn't accept, he was gonna be shipped out? If they had kept him it was gonna be another situation where they would get outbid anyway, and leave with nothing. He's leaving what could be his only shot at contention for what seems to be under 10mill.

So what? Anyone who think "it's just $4.5M" is an idiot. He only has realistically 12-15 years of earning money, with 4 of those years severely underpaid thanks to the rookie contract, and he's supposed to take a pay cut? At the end of the day it's the Thunder who chose to ship him, he didn't demand anything but his market value.

You always have a twisted view of how the world works, so I'm not surprised.

Dwight was restricted too, but he was guilted into picking up his option. Then reality set in and he still wanted out. He would've been a restricted FA this summer if he didn't pick up his option. Harden will get a max deal and OKC already doesn't want to pay that much. He would walk for nothing or OKC loses control over who they can get back. If they didn't want to pay him, trading him now is the best thing to do.

Better check your facts. Only players coming off their rookie contracts can become restricted free agents. Dwight agreed not to opt-out of the final year of his contract. If he didn't sign it he would be a free agent this summer, and at this very moment he is still going to be a free agent next summer. He was never going to be a restricted free agent. Dwight also demanded a trade and didn't want to stay in Orlando, something Harden has never done.

So I don't see how these two situations are even remotely similar.

I've never been a big fan of Ibaka or Harden. I thought it was more stupid of them to pay Ibaka big time money than it was to trade Harden away. This trade was essentially conceding to the Lakers and saying, "We couldn't beat you this year or even next year, but maybe in the future."

So what? Anyone who think "it's just $4.5M" is an idiot. He only has realistically 12-15 years of earning money, with 4 of those years severely underpaid thanks to the rookie contract, and he's supposed to take a pay cut? At the end of the day it's the Thunder who chose to ship him, he didn't demand anything but his market value.

Oh so when you first dumbass argument is proven to be flawed, you have no other tactic other than to stoop to insults and make another dumbass point.

My favorite quote

“When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
― Socrates

4.5 mill off a 50+ contract is a fucking drop in the bucket for a chance to compete. Its only what about 4-5 years for this extension? By your own math he would at least have another full max contract in his future. Barring anything serious, he's a long fucking way away from having to pinch pennies. So yeah, please spare me the BS.

Better check your facts. Only players coming off their rookie contracts can become restricted free agents. Dwight agreed not to opt-out of the final year of his contract. If he didn't sign it he would be a free agent this summer, and at this very moment he is still going to be a free agent next summer. He was never going to be a restricted free agent. Dwight also demanded a trade and didn't want to stay in Orlando, something Harden has never done.

Let me spell it out. If OKC didn't extend him, he could have walked when someone decided to offer him a max sheet and they would have gotten nothing for what many people considered a top 3 SG. But no thats nothing like ORL right?

Instead, they got a better haul than ORL for trading the best center. Presti did the right thing. The deadline for his extension was this coming wednesday in case you didn't know. Maybe you should check your facts..

linsivvi

If 4.5 million was the difference between OKC and Houston, and this fucker chose Houston, he is one of the biggest idiots I have ever seen.

Slander? I am just using your words to point out who the real idiot is.

$4.5M income for an individual is a drop in the bucket. LOL. What an argument.

Better update your old posts since they are filled with "slanders" which make you the biggest loser.

Let me spell it out. If OKC didn't extend him, he could have walked when someone decided to offer him a max sheet and they would have gotten nothing for what many people considered a top 3 SG. But no thats nothing like ORL right?

Instead, they got a better haul than ORL for trading the best center. Presti did the right thing. The deadline for his extension was this coming wednesday in case you didn't know. Maybe you should check your facts..

So let ME spell it out for you, in point format so even you can comprehend.

1. Dwight wasn't happy in Orlando and demanded a traded.
2. Harden was happy in OKC.
3. The Magic wanted to give Dwight a max deal but Dwight didn't want to stay.
4. The Thunder didn't want to give Harden a max deal so they traded him.

Yeah same situation.

linsivvi

Yeah, so you couldn't counter one point eh? LMAO.

You don't even have a point except going around in circles, as usual.

My point is that anyone who even try to put the blame on Harden are idiots. He has every right to look out for his own financial interest. It's ridiculous to even question that.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
linsivvi first of all, max isn't his market value that part of your argument is silly. Because someone is willing to pay it, then technically it is his market value but that's like saying Lewis' market value was a max player as well..

Secondly they just signed Ibaka and needed to have flexiblity.. getting a player like Lamb for their SG needs and Martin's expiring does that. They offered him a fair deal, he turned it down and they didn't want to be handcuffed..

linsivvi

linsivvi first of all, max isn't his market value that part of your argument is silly. Because someone is willing to pay it, then technically it is his market value but that's like saying Lewis' market value was a max player as well..

Secondly they just signed Ibaka and needed to have flexiblity.. getting a player like Lamb for their SG needs and Martin's expiring does that. They offered him a fair deal, he turned it down and they didn't want to be handcuffed..

I am not arguing whether Harden deserves to be paid the max. The fact is somebody will pay him the max so he's just asking to be paid his "technical market value". He should never be blamed for that.

I've never argued against your 2nd point either. The Thunder will take a step back these couple seasons but they may well be better off down the road.

All I am saying is people trying to blame a player for getting the max deal he can get is unfair, because most people would do the same under the same situation. It's the same argument I have made defending Lin, even though he's severely overpaid.

And the second argument I was making was that it's a totally different situation from the Magic. Dwight was an ass and wanted out and deserves to be hated by Magic fans. With Harden they just couldn't reach a deal so they parted ways. Nobody is at fault there.

Blackace

I am not arguing whether Harden deserves to be paid the max. The fact is somebody will pay him the max so he's just asking to be paid his "technical market value". He should never be blamed for that.

I've never argued against your 2nd point either. The Thunder will take a step back these couple seasons but they may well be better off down the road.

All I am saying is people trying to blame a player for getting the max deal he can get is unfair, because most people would do the same under the same situation. It's the same argument I have made defending Lin, even though he's severely overpaid.

I think the thunder are a better team now than with Harden..

They brought in two scorers.. Kevin Martin as a number 3 option is actually really good...

Pkaz01

I dont see a lot of people blaming harden for anything. More people are bashing either teams GM depending on which side of the coin they are on. Only people that complained about harden were salty Okc fans and they got over it.

Harden probably felt offended that he didn't get a max offer and durant, ynot, and ibaka did. If a star gets their feelings hurt they arent going to take a pay cut and in this era of nba they get them hurt very easily. Look at Eric Gordon crying and trying to sign with the suns because the hornets didn't offer him an extension and didnt talk to him on day 1.

I'm more inclined to believe that he left more because he felt slighted than because of the 4.5 million even though it probably did play a factor as well.

linsivvi

I guess I belong to the group that think Kevin Martin is terrible. To me it depends on whether Lamb can reach his potential.

Edit: Ibaka didn't get a max deal though.

giri

Whilst i hate this point of view, it is entirely correct.

The difference between having the best 1 through 3 front court in the league (PG, SG, SF) and not, was $1M salary, a year. probably 2.3M after tax. A Year. That was the deal breaker. Pretty pathetic really.

Several teams had already announced their intention to offer harden the max too (PHX, Mavs, someone else i can't remember). So he knew what he was worth. OKC basically said "show us you love us by taking a pay cut!". Which, i can understand how OKC fans feel a little jaded over. it is only 1M a year, when you're making 15M anyway. But they'd been throwing money around all summer, and all of a sudden decided to get cheap with Harden? I can see why he'd be... less prone to accept a reduction after their contracts already this summer.

Naw, this one was a petty move by OKC. It was a bad move for the Magic (to trade Lee), it'll be a bad move for the Thunder.

They did get OK return for him though. But they're trying to win now, not draft in the 12 - 22 region (which is traditionally a really shitty area of the draft to pick in).

I should point out, Lamb is already injured too. What they really should have been doing is trying to get a better front court player. Gortat, Millsap, Favors, Pekovic those are the guys i think would have added a lot more value than Lamb or Martin.

Pek and Williams for Ibaka & Harden or the like?

pilonv1

I don't know they're better this season, could depend on how well Maynor recovers. But next season? Two draft picks and Lamb improving could end up extremely valuable.

shira

yeah, kevin martin is a bum.

Over rated chucker who has never made his team better in the history of being on the floor.

He might fill a role now as the 3rd or 4th option.

but OKC lost, here. unless the houston picks turn into really good players... But thats sort of stupid considering you're trying to win chips now.
It's next-next draft. Thenext draft that is week

Pkaz01

I don't know they're better this season, could depend on how well Maynor recovers. But next season? Two draft picks and Lamb improving could end up extremely valuable.

Don't forget martin expiring give them cap room flexibility to improve their frontcourt

linsivvi said:
So let ME spell it out for you, in point format so even you can comprehend.

1. Dwight wasn't happy in Orlando and demanded a traded.
2. Harden was happy in OKC.
3. The Magic wanted to give Dwight a max deal but Dwight didn't want to stay.
4. The Thunder didn't want to give Harden a max deal so they traded him.

Yeah same situation.

None of that negates what I said. OKC's hand is pretty much forced. He had to know it was trade or die, he has agents to explain this shit and this whole ordeal isn't new. It was basically his choice, and he choose what seems like negligible amount of money.

You don't even have a point except going around in circles, as usual.

My point is that anyone who even try to put the blame on Harden are idiots. He has every right to look out for his own financial interest. It's ridiculous to even question that.

My point is, penny pinching off a 50+ contract when you are built to be contending for years and stand to get another max contract is a dumb move. You act like that 4.5 is his lifeline or something. There's securing yourself and then there's pinching pennies.

Now he stands to rot away and be forgotten on a middling team that won't go anywhere as long as he is the number one option. Sounds worth it to me.

giri

I guess I belong to the group that think Kevin Martin is terrible. To me it depends on whether Lamb can reach his potential.

I think we've gone through this before, Kevin Martin has never improved a team he's been on. Stats show it or something. Like, he's ALWAYS made them worse. Pretty amazing really.

Don't forget martin expiring give them cap room flexibility to improve their frontcourt

If you're going to move harden, i think they should have addressed their biggest need, which is an inside presence.

giri

Now he stands to rot away and be forgotten on a middling team that won't go anywhere as long as he is the number one option. Sounds worth it to me.

Plenty of stars have done that, and gone on to win it.

The Celtics that won it, Pau gasol, Wade after shaq.

Plenty have failed too. But it isn't usually the end of their career, far from it.

Almost 13 mill

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but they're going to be close too, or over the cap, anyway. So........ They can't really just go splashing cash around.

Pkaz01

I think we've gone through this before, Kevin Martin has never improved a team he's been on. Stats show it or something. Like, he's ALWAYS made them worse. Pretty amazing really.

If you're going to move harden, i think they should have addressed their biggest need, which is an inside presence.

I agree about the inside presence especially offensively but its still not too late with the cap flexibility. Harden was their best option at getting someone good though, especially since this upcoming free agent draft is complete shit.

I have my fingers crossed the suns dont throw money at tyreke. I don't know how i'd feel about ellis.

linsivvi

Correct me if i'm wrong here, but they're going to be close too, or over the cap, anyway. So........ They can't really just go splashing cash around.

According to Hoopsworld they were at $61,322,158 for next season. None of the players they traded away were guaranteed, so next summer they'll be at the exact same amount plus whatever Lamb is making.

Can't they trade Kevin Martin to a team looking to save money in mid-season though?

giri

I have my fingers crossed the suns dont throw money at tyreke. I don't know how i'd feel about ellis.

I think Tyreke is still a all star level talent, but i don't think he'll ever get it together at Sacramento. i think he has to get out of there. I also think anyone thinking of throwing money at him need to monitor him REALLY closely this year to see if his lack of development is bad coaching/and surroundings, or him just being incredibly lazy. Though its likely a combination of both.

I really don't want to see the suns give him a max though.

And fuck no, want no part of ellis.

According to Hoopsworld they were at $61,322,158 for next season. None of the players they traded away were guaranteed, so next summer they'll be at the exact same amount plus whatever Lamb is making.

Can't they trade Kevin Martin to a team looking to save money in mid-season though?

Thats basically the extent of it though. So Martin for NeNe or something dumb like that. There is a no-trade period of like 6 weeks now though. And... a second large trade the year after you went to the finals? hmmmm.

WOJ article

For months, Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey called on Oklahoma City's Sam Presti, probing him with a simple question: Want to discuss a deal for James Harden yet? Over and over, the response had been an unwavering no. The Thunder wanted to sign Harden to a contract extension, hold together their young core and try to win championships for years and years.

Finally, there had come a call within the past several days to Morey: Presti wanted to seriously discuss the framework of a trade, because if Harden wouldn't take the Thunder's final offer, this promised to be the next step. From owner Clay Bennett to Presti and assistant GM Troy Weaver, a decision had been made: James Harden had played his final game for the Thunder.

Before sitting down a final time with Pelinka, Presti became more serious in his discussions with Morey. Houston wanted Harden badly, believed he would evolve into a transcendent franchise star for a championship-caliber team and planned to award him a five-year maximum contract worth nearly $80 million. So, Presti laid out what he wanted for Harden and the original price was steep: Kevin Martin, Chandler Parsons, Jeremy Lamb and three first-round picks, including Houston's own in 2013.

Across 72 hours and culminating on Friday night, the deal became this: Martin, Lamb and two first-round picks, including a guaranteed plumb lottery pick via Toronto. Before Presti sat down with Pelinka on Saturday morning to make his final offer of $54 million over four years, the Rockets were made to understand: If Harden turns down, your long-awaited star is on his way to Texas.

In those finals hours on Saturday, the NBA made clear to Oklahoma City and Houston: Under no circumstances could Morey and Pelinka discuss a potential contract extension. Nevertheless, it was understood Morey would never let Wednesday's deadline pass without giving Harden the five-year max extension that wasn't available in Oklahoma City.

All along, Pelinka and Harden understood: From the Rockets, to the Phoenix Suns, to the Dallas Mavericks, there was a maximum contract offer awaiting him in free agency. Harden's market value wouldn't be dictated on the fact the Thunder planned to pay him as the franchise's third-best player. Less money and a sixth-man role – after a summer with Team USA at the Olympics, this was an impossible sell on Harden.

The impact on the Thunder locker room won't have the dark fallout some fear. When word reached Russell Westbrook late on Friday, he was disappointed Harden was gone – loved him as person, a teammate – but he wasn't devastated over the deal. Privately, Westbrook loved how Presti had strengthened the back of the Thunder roster with two rookies, Perry Jones and Houston draft pick Jeremy Lamb. He always admired how Martin had scored on the Thunder.

Harden struggled in the NBA Finals, tried too hard and slowly, surely unraveled over the course of the series. When the rest of the Thunder were celebrating a Game 1 victory over Miami in the locker room, Harden could be heard grumbling over too few shots (five), and too few minutes (22).

Veterans Derek Fisher and Perkins laid into Harden, telling him essentially: We just won an NBA Finals game and the last thing in the world that ought to worry you are your individual statistics. Harden apologized, but it was clear his mindset wasn't right.
He never found his way back into a proper rhythm in the Finals.

This isn't an indictment of Harden. He cares deeply, but it is hard to be 23 years old and needing to prove yourself worthy of the salary that will come with stardom. There's a popular argument that Harden isn't worth max money, because he played so poorly in the Finals. He was magnificent for the Thunder a year ago, regular season through the Western Conference finals victory over San Antonio. If he ever gets there again, he'll probably play better.

The Rockets don't need Harden to play well in the Finals this year, or next, because they won't be there. They'll now feature an offense around Harden and believe he'll blossom into an annual All-Star, an all-league player.

Oklahoma City's front office was melancholy on Saturday night. They had drafted this core, developed it and hoped they could keep it together for years and years. Ownership might have gone further with its final offer of $54 million, but Presti drew the line on how much he was willing to invest into Harden and ended the talks there. The NBA's new collective bargaining agreement delivers devastating luxury-tax penalties to teams over the cap – $1.50 for every dollar over the tax threshold – and Presti simply couldn't justify the cost. This wouldn't go until Wednesday night's deadline, Presti informed Pelinka. That's the final offer, and his next call would be to Houston to tell Morey: Let's reach out to the league office and get a trade call to make this official.

[Watch: Big expectations for NBA rookies]

In the end, Presti would secure a player to score off his bench this year (Martin), a gifted prospect for the future (Lamb) and a lottery pick that could give the Thunder a chance to draft another elite talent. Giving the Thunder another protected first-round pick from Dallas was more than Houston wanted to do, but the Rockets weren't willing to let Presti get on the phone and find a better deal. Morey believes Jeremy Lin and Harden will be stars in the NBA, and he's gambling his own – and his franchise's – future on it.

From Sam Presti to Daryl Morey to James Harden, everyone ran his share of risk in this scenario and it all tumbled into motion in these final, frenzied 48 hours. This is the kind of deal that changes careers, changes franchises, and everyone breathed out on Saturday and understood: No turning back now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--inside-look-at-james-harden-s-trade-to-rockets-28301609.html

It amazes me how they got a better haul than ORL.

Your right, Dwight wasn't UFA. My bad.

Point still stands though. Harden wants restricted max money, OKC doesn't want to pay. What changes in a year? If a player isn't re-upping long term, move on.

I'm in the camp of Harden getting his max. Not taking the OKC offer pretty much equals trade.

linsivvi

Your right, Dwight wasn't UFA. My bad.

Point still stands though. Harden wants restricted max money, OKC doesn't want to pay. What changes in a year? If a player isn't re-upping long term, move on.

I'm in the camp of Harden getting his max. Not taking the OKC offer pretty much equals trade.

Well that's what my take as well. The two sides can't come to an agreement so they parted ways. I just think it's unfair to compare to Orlando since it was a mess over there and Dwight was toxic in the locker room for a year or so.

Westlo

I think Presti pulled off a great trade, there was no point waiting for the season to finish really.... if they weren't willing to give him a max right now than like hell would they offer him a max at the end of the season... So instead of letting Harden walk for nothing they got a rental in Martin, a potentially great rookie in Lamb, 2 first round picks and a second. This also lets them keep Maynor which I think would've been impossible with a maxed out Harden.

Good god.. imagine if the Raptors have like the 12th worst record next season and they end up with the 4th pick (I think it's Top 3 protected next season)... just wouldn't be fair.

Pkaz01

All I want to know is who the fuck is Woj blackmailing to get all this inside info?? dude has the inside scoop on every damn team

pilonv1

Westbrook loved how Presti had strengthened the back of the Thunder roster with two rookies, Perry Jones and Houston draft pick Jeremy Lamb. He always admired how Martin had scored on the Thunder.

This explains so much

I think Tyreke is still a all star level talent, but i don't think he'll ever get it together at Sacramento. i think he has to get out of there. I also think anyone thinking of throwing money at him need to monitor him REALLY closely this year to see if his lack of development is bad coaching/and surroundings, or him just being incredibly lazy. Though its likely a combination of both.

I really don't want to see the suns give him a max though.

And fuck no, want no part of ellis.

Sac's coaching hasn't been stable since he's been there. The coaches have been too lenient with him because they're worried about their own job. Lack of a jumpshot is his biggest weakness, especially since he's slow. Ends up having to dribble, dribble, dribble to get anything done. I also think he has too many non basketball folks around him. He's not lazy, but his priorities aren't straight.

It sounded like a similar deal was availble for ORL, but Dwight's insistence on only going to BK scared Morey and he backed off.

The Stealth Fox

The Rockets did well in this trade. About damn time. Harden's one of those up-and-coming players.

Harden-Asik dynamic duo. Lakers stoppers. Gonna cause the Lakers to lose so much that the Lakers are gonna have to be moved to Seattle.

Blackace

As your number 1 scoring option yeah... As your number 3.. No.

He would be asked to get about 15 to 18 ppg and with how he gets to the line he will fit the Thunder's style quite well...

They do lose some good D at the 2 tho..

The Stealth Fox

Kevin Martin is the worst defender at his position. Plus, the way he plays, he won't win games. He's all stats. I don't know if he'll take too kindly to being on the bench, either.

Blackace

Kevin Martin is the worst defender at his position. Plus, the way he plays, he won't win games. He's all stats. I don't know if he'll take too kindly to being on the bench, either.

He is a poor defender.

Don't think it is decided he will play the 6th man role or not yet.. Lamb could fill that

Pkaz01

I still find it crazy that houston gave up the raptors pick they seriously got a deal a rebuilding team would have gotten for a superstar player these guys gave up their third best got a decent expiring contract, a good prospect with tons of potential and good picks. and they lost their sixth man off the bench.

you can agree or disagree whether it was a better move to pay him the money he wanted or trade him but you have to admit they got a nice package in return for what they gave up.

Watch and learn orlando.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I don't know how good Jeremy Lamb will be. Neither does anybody else really. He's an unknown at this point, he's got potential but that doesn't mean jack shit to a team that was trying to win a chip this year. Those 2 draft picks they got aren't going to be worth a ton. Mavs pick is top 20 protected and the Raptors pick is top 3 protected. I think the Raps are going to be pretty decent this year, might not even be a top 10 pick.

Not defending the Orlando trade but its totally apples to oranges.

Harden was willing to reup for 5 years with the Rockets. Dwight wasn't going to sign an extension. No team is going to give up the same kind of value for 1 year of Dwight that they would for 4/5 years of Harden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom