• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

da fuq are you so salty about

The Wizard has finally evolved from hoarding assets to actually getting something going, better to have Harden on a max deal than Brook Lopez.

I still don't think he's worth the max. He never played that #1, or even #2 role. Sometimes he would get going and end up #2, but that wasn't often. I dunno, but in the dumb GM nba world I guess we got a good deal. It could be worse as you say.

I just feel like Lamb is Rudy 2.0. And we traded Rudy for what we thought we needed at the moment, kind of like now.

Calm down son,

Kid is from the east coast and would probably head back there if given an opportunity.

not saying he's coming to LA. Just, if they don't get back to the Finals, I'd wonder. Lots of other teams out there besides LA.

I still don't think he's worth the max. He never played that #1, or even #2 role. Sometimes he would get going and end up #2, but that wasn't often. I dunno, but in the dumb GM nba world I guess we got a good deal. It could be worse as you say.

I just feel like Lamb is Rudy 2.0. And we traded Rudy for what we thought we needed at the moment, kind of like now.

Name me a better SG under 30. You can't.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not nearly as bad of a trade as some are making it out to be IMO. Kmart is solid, Jeremy Lamb is good young talent, and Harden was going to walk anyway. I dunno if it's good for this year, but honestly I didn't think they were going to win this year anyway.

proxy.jpg

proxy.jpg

Jax as the Joker is more terrifying than it should be.

It's not a bad trade but perhaps it was a hasty/random one.

They could've waited until the deadline or something.

It all comes down to what Lamb does.

If he is a solid player who can score, shoot, and defend. Then they will be fine. That's asking a lot of a guy who fell in the draft due to not giving any fucks tho.

Will be interesting.

squicken

good lord I finally caught up to the thread. people act like jerry buss is running a charity b/c he loves lakers fans. he loses little to no money no matter his tax bill. the value of the team will continue to soar as the city keeps getting bigger. the thunder will have a nice bump in value but nothing like LA. they also would lose money every year.

it's not my money so of course i wish they'd be willing to lose money on their team. but if you are going to start trotting out jerry buss as an example of a selfless owner, well, that can't go unchallenged

Darkman M

Holy shit!!!

harde is definitely worth the max. Name me a better two guard under 30. And don't you dare name Gordon.

Martin is a big downgrade IMO. It doesn't seem so in be stats but we all know he's an empty stats player. I do wonder if there is another move here with he Toronto pick. At worst next draft they can try to make a big move.

But okc probably gave up their chance at a title this year. Sure lamb may pan out but I don't trade a sure thing for the unsure. How often does that even work?

It's a big gamble short and long term. I can't believe they downgraded for this season.

Love the move for Houston. Dumped bad contract for all-star. Gave up a bit much with he Toronto pick too but you make this move every time.

Some of you underrating harden a lot. Also I can't believe okc wouldn't sign him for $1 mil per season. Insane

I wouldn't want my team to sign either of those guys to max contracts.

damn, Zach Lowe said this might happen back in August. dat foresight.

you can bet Sam Presti, Oklahoma City’s GM, already has a half-dozen in-season trade scenarios for Harden mapped out — and a half-dozen more sign-and-trade scenarios that could apply after the season. That’s the job. Presti has proven willing to make trades that might be unpopular in the short-term; in his first summer as the Sonics GM, he (in what was ultimately an easy choice) ripped apart a decent but shallow playoff team by dealing both Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis.

As for Harden, Houston could get far enough under the cap to offer several types of packages — one built around Kevin Martin’s expiring deal and a couple of picks, including Toronto’s likely lottery pick; or another built around those same picks, plus some combination of young wing players (Jeremy Lamb, Chandler Parsons, etc). (Note: Any deal involving Martin would require the Thunder to send out about $2.5 million in salary on top of Harden).

Only one other worth mentioning, Healthy Gordon.

But thats fairly rare.

Even under that rare condition, he isn't better.

http://bkref.com/tiny/LBy8U

Worse rebounder, shooter, etc. Not even close in FG% and efg% and TS%.

I've also had the privilege of watching him for a couple seasons out here and he is really overrated. His defense is worse than Harden's (though better than Martin's, lol) and he chucks. Not nearly the playmaker Harden is.

Harden is very similar to Manu (Manu still better of course) type player.

Harden is a top 5 SG in a league where 3 of the top 5 SG are over 30. Of course he's going to get max money.

The league sucks at the 2 guard spot. Any halfway decent one will be paid. One that might be the best at the position in 3 years certainly is deserving of a max.

I wouldn't want my team to sign either of those guys to max contracts.

If Harden isn't a max contract, then there's only a few max contract guys.

Lebron. Durant. Dwight. Cp3. Love. A few more and then the list is almost complete?

SamuraiX-

I don't think there have been third year players as good as Harden criticized as much as he has been ever.

His disappearing act in the Finals essentially negated any of his playoff performances that could be considered impressive to me.

He's a glorified sixth man turned franchise player. Where have I seen this scenario before? I'm sure it'll work out beautifully.

pilonv1

LOL @ the Rockets trading away Lamb for the right to pay Harden an undeserved max deal

Thunder still shouldn't have overpaid Ibaka, but they might be better in the long term if Lamb pans out.

Yep. This is one of those trades that doesn't help either team.

With Durant and Martin they will still lead the league in offensive flops

etiolate

Banned
OKC has secured young talent... in the case of Westbrook or Durant walking... they have picks and young talent that can step up.

It's weird... it's like they sold themselves short with this trade. They didnt get better... but rather they prepared for what's going to be the inevitable... star talent leaving to a bigger market in their prime.

a dwight/kd/irving future doesnt look so farfetched imo

i said in the past... when i saw KD come into the league... he looked like a laker.

wtf is this

pilonv1

Depending on the draft picks OKC will probably come out on top of this, especially if Lamb plays out.

Houston paying a bunch of money for 1 starter and two bench players is pretty funny.

Just came to chime in "wtf" at the Dunder trade.

While it's not a terrible trade, like others have pointed out, I don't know why they just didn't wait.

Actually, the offseason afterr making the Finals the Magic traded their starting SG (Lee) and Alston for Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson.

Kind of a similar situation. Old dude who was overrated and a young guy who is good but a couple years way of making a real impact.

charsace

Just came to chime in "wtf" at the Dunder trade.

While it's not a terrible trade, like others have pointed out, I don't know why they just didn't wait.

Presti don't play. Plus he saw what waiting did to other teams. When you wait players start to think. And when players start to think their trade value goes down.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Actually, the offseason afterr making the Finals the Magic traded their starting SG (Lee) and Alston for Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson.

Kind of a similar situation. Old dude who was overrated and a young guy who is good but a couple years way of making a real impact.

Kinda, but not nearly the same caliber in Lee.

edit- also Vince was all washed up at that point, Kmarts still fairly young.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Presti don't play. Plus he saw what waiting did to other teams. When you wait players start to think. And when players start to think their trade value goes down.

He got a solid young player out of it and a solid veteran guard who can score in bunches and pull a lot of fouls. Waiting kills chemistry at the half way mark of the season and doesn't allow for the team to feel eachother out in time for the playoffs. This way they'll have the whole season.

KMart sucks, he'll go off every now and then but most of the time he just sucks.
Lamb has potential but for a team 3 wins away from a banner, now isn't really the time for projects at the cost of a piece of your core. Thabeet being back up C is Lol too.

IWMTB has a good point about Jazz having too many bigs and could have parted with one for a decent price.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
KMart sucks, he'll go off every now and then but most of the time he just sucks.
Lamb has potential but for a team 3 wins away from a banner, now isn't really the time for projects at the cost of a piece of your core. Thabeet being back up C is Lol too.

IWMTB has a good point about Jazz having too many bigs and could have parted with one for a decent price.

The team that beat them improved in the offseason, and another team in the West improved in a big way, while the thunder stayed the same. They got something out of nothihng, Harden was walking after this season anyway.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm sorry but a Hardenless Thunder team is not competing for a Championship. Period.

I think some people are overlooking what Harden brought to that OKC team. Harden pretty much did everything well. Defense, scoring, playmaking, shooting, clutch plays, etc.. K-Mart ain't bringing NONE of that shit to the table, save for scoring, which I believe Harden was also superior at. Dude is a massive, massive downgrade, no two ways about it.

I think the Nuggets will possibly be better than the Thunder this year now. Possssssibly....

masud

Banned
Just because there's a dearth of good shooting guards in the league doesn't mean Hardens worth the max. A team built around Harden isn't winning shit.

And I love how everyone gets over on Morey but the Knicks...

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just because there's a dearth of good shooting guards in the league doesn't mean Hardens worth the max. A team built around Harden isn't winning shit.

It's the same concept with a draft strategy. Don't draft a top 15 talent in the top 5 just because there aren't any of what you need in that draft.

linsivvi

Holy shit. WTF?. Oh, thanks Morey! I knew you were always looking out for the Lakers.

I see some people are already trying to blame Harden. He can clearly get a max contract in the free market, so why should he accept less money? He didn't demand to be traded, either. The Thunder could just keep this team and decide whether to match the offers next summer. The only reason Harden is now a Rocket is because the management decided to trade him. So any Thunder fan trying to blame Harden is being ridiculous and unreasonable. Blame your owner and management instead.

The Magic waited with Dwight. How'd that work out for them?

Harden will be a restricted agent though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'm sorry but a Hardenless Thunder team is not competing for a Championship. Period.

I think some people are overlooking what Harden brought to that OKC team. Harden pretty much did everything well. Defense, scoring, playmaking, shooting, clutch plays, etc.. K-Mart ain't bringing NONE of that shit to the table, save for scoring, which I believe Harden was also superior at. Dude is a massive, massive downgrade, no two ways about it.

I think the Nuggets will possibly be better than the Thunder this year now. Possssssibly....

that's like saying a Boshless Heat don't make the finals.. yeah it's true but if you replace Harden with someone like say EG.. then you have a shot to win the finals..

Man this shit is so stupid. I'm not really complaining considering the conference I get to play in but damn you hate to see shit happen like this to OKC. Lakers you are welcome.

If 4.5 million was the difference between OKC and Houston, and this fucker chose Houston, he is one of the biggest idiots I have ever seen. "maximizing potential" is one thing but this is the difference between rotting at the bottom-middle of the West and sitting on top. Contending.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The Thunder got Lamb too?

Shit... Great deal for them.

linsivvi

Man this shit is so stupid. I'm not really complaining considering the conference I get to play in but damn you hate to see shit happen like this to OKC. Lakers you are welcome.

If 4.5 million was the difference between OKC and Houston, and this fucker chose Houston, he is one of the biggest idiots I have ever seen. "maximizing potential" is one thing but this is the difference between rotting at the bottom-middle of the West and sitting on top. Contending.

Except that he DID NOT CHOOSE to go to Houston.

He wanted a max deal, which is his market value. He would be an idiot not to ask for that and accept a cheap deal right away. OKC didn't want to pay that much, and promptly traded him.

He'll only be a RESTRICTED free agent next season. They didn't have to trade him at all.

This is not even close being bad as that Melo trade or signing Amare for a 100 mill.

Except that he DID NOT CHOOSE to go to Houston.

He wanted a max deal, which is his market value. He would be an idiot not to ask for that and accept a cheap deal right away. OKC didn't want to pay that much, and promptly traded him.

He'll only be a RESTRICTED free agent next season. They didn't have to trade him at all.

Oh please, you really think the negotiations went through without Harden knowing that if he didn't accept, he was gonna be shipped out? If they had kept him it was gonna be another situation where they would get outbid anyway, and leave with nothing. He's leaving what could be his only shot at contention for what seems to be under 10mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom