• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stealth Fox

He's not trading Lin. He was always flipping players and picks to get ammunition for a monster trade. He just made it. He believes in a Lin and Harden backcourt.

If Lin doesn't pan out, the structure of his deal is very forgiving. Of course Morey doesn't see Lin as an asset right now.

For those writing off OKC:

We still have Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka.

Our role players like Thabo, Perkins, and Collison are excellent.

Maynor is back, and Reggie Jackson is progressing. PJ3 and Lamb have top-5 talent.

And we still have cap flexibility and the ability to make more moves to improve.

Jazz in 6

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Maynor is back, and Reggie Jackson is progressing. PJ3 and Lamb have top-5 talent.

And we still have cap flexibility and the ability to make more moves to improve.

lololol

Ibaka is trash. Perkins is trash. Collison can't play the minutes you require and he just lost Harden. Reggie Jackson is just another scrub. PJ3 is a bum with timebombs in his knees.

But you do have flexibility. Harden leaving a gaping hole in your roster is something you'll try to explain a way for a while, but that void is going to stay there. Its big. Its not going to be something you adjust to like Joe leaving the Suns. Its much bigger.

But good luck with Ibaka. Ibaka > Harden. GJ. GE.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Gondo come on man, you said Harden was going to stay that he valued his friends and OKC more than a couple million. That was wrong.

Now you're just being delusional. The Thunder are a 5-6 type seed now in the West. They have no chance of winning a title.

DY_nasty

Who's going to take the ball out of Westbrook's hands now?

That offense ain't shit without Harden. Its just another two man show like Boston was with Pierce and Walker.

fertygo

Gondo come on man, you said Harden was going to stay that he valued his friends and OKC more than a couple million. That was wrong.

Now you're just being delusional. The Thunder are a 5-6 type seed now in the West. They have no chance of winning a title.

This means Harden is the top 3 player then, not Durant lol.

DY_nasty

I don't think they're better than a healthy Memphis, LA, LAC, or San Antonio now.

Martin adds absolutely nothing to a team.

at worst they get a 4th seed.the Clippers wont stay healthy.

masud

Banned
Lets see how Harden performs as a number one option before we crown him. Last thing I saw was him folding like laundry. Starting might spook him.

entremet

I guess OKC needed to do something to insure best cap room flexibility. Sad to see Harden go, though. Yeah, he had a shitty finals, but he will be missed.

DY_nasty

Yeah... Dragic and Harden would've been good. I'm hyped for Patterson though.
This. Grizzlies don't look any less overrated than they did last year. I can see them beating SA again in a series too.

Randolph was hurt almost the entire year.

Still not getting the logic of people slamming Houston for doing this deal. They've been going nowhere for years and as constructed before the trade they were like a 32 win team and not as bad as the Magic or Bobcats. Unlike Roy Hibbert or Brook Lopez, Harden is a legit Top 20 player and is improving. Not only that, the Rockets become much more attractive for a second star.

The Stealth Fox

How do they have flexibility even with Harden gone? All they probably wanted to do was avoid paying the tax, right? Look at all that money they wasted on Perkins and Ibaka. They still have 59 mil in salary through 2014-2015.

Still not getting the logic of people slamming Houston for doing this deal. They've been going nowhere for years and as constructed before the trade they were like a 32 win team and not as bad as the Magic or Bobcats. Unlike Roy Hibbert or Brook Lopez, Harden is a legit Top 20 player and is improving. Not only that, the Rockets become much more attractive for a second star.

How does this make them appealing to a second star? Because they have Harden? They still have Lin which negates any positive momentum to attract other big free agents.

With Lin / Harden we'll at least be back in the spotlight. Someome will take that tax free max.

DY_nasty

How does this make them appealing to a second star? Because they have Harden? They still have Lin which negates any positive momentum to attract other big free agents.

Lin brings you China money.

Which is even better than American money. Shit, just look what Yao did for McGrady.

Also, Lin is no all-star - but he's a perfectly fine above average and young point guard. He's got a ways to go, but he's not a "bad" player to have.

Lin brings you China money.

Which is even better than American money. Shit, just look what Yao did for McGrady.

Also, Lin is no all-star - but he's a perfectly fine above average and young point guard. He's got a ways to go, but he's not a "bad" player to have.

It brings you cash but that doesnt equate to big time free agents. If reports are true, Lin wasnt loved by the Knicks players so not sure how you can be confident he wouldnt damage the Rockets chances with other big time players.

So I'm just thinking here but could this possibly be one of the greatest offseason the NBA has ever seen? This trade just topped it off for me honestly; I can't think of any other offseason that has left such an impression on me.

DY_nasty

It brings you cash but that doesnt equate to big time free agents. If reports are true, Lin wasnt loved by the Knicks players so not sure how you can be confident he wouldnt damage the Rockets chances with other big time players.

But the Knicks are one of the most dysfunctional organizations in sports. When they say that he doesn't fit in, it should be a ringing endorsement.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Lin is a good player with massive marketing. Lin and Harden together means somebody else is going to shit ton of good looks. Who wouldn't want to play with that?

Honestly I don't put any stock into that shit. I'd imagine some of them, mainly Melo, have a ton of resentment that some no name guy gets some playing time and became a bigger star in a month than he was in a year and a half. And a bunch of Knicks thought he was milking an injury for cash which was really moronic.

But at least he seems to get along quite well with Chandler Parsons at least. Quite well.

Just heard and that's pretty shocking--I thought you guys would hold onto him.
Martin/Westbrook/Maynor backcourt is disaster movie potential. I like Maynor, but you know who's getting the lionshare of the minutes.

Ibaka > Harden. Wow.
Costly move.

Flash

Raptors are bad but they aren't going to be 4th pick bad. I'm guessing the pick will be around 10. Last year we got #8 pick and we should be a lot better barring any injuries.

Thunder lose the trade IMO. Harden is a young all star... he's able to score and handle the ball. Now with the green light to score and increase in responsiblity, I expect that his stats/production will improve significantly. Lamb is a decent prospect but who knows exactly how he'll pan out, and I doubt he'll be as good as Harden. And the picks are also pretty unknown and I doubt they'll lead to an elite player.

However, the trade isn't THAT bad because at least the Thunder are getting some decent return. Their roster is more stacked and their bench is potentially deeper with Lamb, Martin, PJIII. The trade could really turn out to be in their favour in the future but they REALLY should have been looking to win now. If it was up to me I would think they should have been looking to trade Westbrook instead or not have signed Ibaka to that contract if they knew they wouldn't be able to offer Harden max.

Because they have the best young shooting guard in the league.

Rockets have almost 13 million in caproom next summer if they dump all non-guaranteed players and let go of Johnson and Hayward. With a couple more minor moves they can add another max player.

squicken

Because they have the best young shooting guard in the league.

Rockets have almost 13 million in caproom next summer if they dump all non-guaranteed players and let go of Johnson and Hayward. With a couple more minor moves they can add another max player.

I see it this way too. Morey was spinning his wheels for the last few years, waiting to make his move. He finally did it. If Harden doesn't like the spotlight, then it's a good situation b/c Lin will be the one that gets it. It's going to finally be a season where fans can invest, knowing the guys on the court will be there the following season

The Stealth Fox

I have been way too busy, but I'm getting updated on all the changes in the offseason.

The Lakers literally have 5 players on their roster that are worth mentioning.

Jamison is awful. Blake is awful. Artest is awful. Is Dwight, Pau, or Nash ever going to get rest? They have Meeks and Jordan Hill as their bench. Holy crap. That is a top heavy roster. I know you don't need to be deep in the playoffs, but really? Their bench is even worse than last year.

DY_nasty

I'm trying to go through it in my head right now

all of the players who got more in return than Orlando did for Dwight

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I enjoy seeing Gondo evolve as a NBAGAF poster, now he gets to pretend that Harden leaving is not a big deal.

Anyways, sorry Ive been away, havent had time to get into the NBA like most years .... But Im back now :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Why you gotta do this?

I wonder if Orlando tried to get Harden at all. Henny was probably busy twiddling his thumbs or some shit. Then again I doubt Harden would even sign an extension with this fucking organization.

squicken

That trade will always perplex me. Morey said he offered more than LA. And Orlando's GM wouldn't do a trade w/o Howard's agent's blessing. Seems like the party least represented by the guy was the team he general manages for

That trade will always perplex me. Morey said he offered more than LA. And Orlando's GM wouldn't do a trade w/o Howard's agent's blessing. Seems like the party least represented by the guy was the team he general manages for

Most players don't tank their own value by being a cancer.

There was no consensus on what Houston's offer for Dwight actually was but it definitely wasn't as good as that one rumor that Morey offered all their of their 1st rounders this year + cap relief.

KingGondo

Banned
People are so damn fixated on Martin. I'll be shocked if he's on the team after the trade deadline. His role will be limited.

More of the offensive load will fall on Ibaka, Maynor, Jackson, and PJ3.

Excited to see what Lamb can do. Hell of a talent.

True but they are going to be used to a higher level of living. Once a guy retires he's not going to stop living in a super nice, super expensive neighborhood, he's not going to trade in his Bently for a ford Focus. Listen, I'm not saying it's not crazy money that most of us will never understand, I'm just saying put it in perspective, the Thunder were asking him to take a what? 20%? 25% pay cut just to be a part of a winning organization? When none of his co-workers were asked to do that. And when other companies are more than willing to offer him more money?

Yea, I never understood this--the player is entitled to as much money as is offered by the market, period. Any pro player has a shortened window to make the majority of their income and deals, you take that ball and you run with it. I'm always on the player's side for that.

And thanks, OKC, for replacing strength with weakness.

Gigglepoo

This really hurts both teams. Harden is perfect as the spark plug off the bench, not as the lead dog. Plus, now that they only have two scorers, they're easier to defend, and the team is going to struggle mightily when one (or both) is on the bench. And if there's an injury...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom