• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Preseason |OT| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Rasheed Wallace

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Raptors and his people are still chatting – and I know Bryan’s said often that he considers DeRozan a key part of the future – but doesn’t seem like a deal is imminent and the kid will become a restricted free agent next summer.

Raps could use a 2 that can score beyond 10 feet of the rim.

Reggie Jackson/Kmart for Jose Calderon and DeRozan, that's a doable trade and both sides win.

KingGondo

Banned
I wish James the best, but I hope he doesn't regret turning down OKC's offer in the long run.

I doubt Houston is a playoff team even now, and if things don't go well he'll get the blame for the half-empty arenas and lack of success. He never seemed like he wanted the top banana role, but I also can't blame him for wanting $78 million over 5 years.

And OKC is still one of the best squads, but it's simply unknown how the new pieces will perform (while Harden was a known quantity).

Our bench unit is now:
Maynor/Reggie Jackson
Martin
PJ3
Collison
Thabeet

Lamb will gradually be integrated into the rotation, and I assume Martin's expiring deal will be traded before the deadline.

I'm still a bit shocked, but I get why the Thunder did it and I'm still excited for the season.

masud

Banned
Personally I like this deal for OKC, Martin may be able to flourish in a smaller role, even if he doesn't that's a 13 mil expiring contract. And lamb can play, he probably won’t be as good as Harden but he may get close. Plus they got 2 first round draft picks? Smart move from a team that knows it's not getting past Miami or LA this year. As far as Houston I don’t see how you give up three first round picks for the right to pay Harden 16 mil a year (and still miss the playoffs.)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Personally I like this deal for OKC, Martin may be able to flourish in a smaller role, even if he doesn't that's a 13 mil expiring contract. And lamb can play, he probably won’t be as good as Harden but he may get close. Plus they got 2 first round draft picks? Smart move from a team that knows it's not getting past Miami or LA this year. As far as Houston I don’t see how you give up three first round picks for the right to pay Harden 16 mil a year (and still miss the playoffs.)

They gave up 2 first rounders - Mavs pick is top 20 protected and the Raptors pick is protected as well. For James Harden that is not a whole lot.

And OKC was trying to chip this year and they had a good chance of doing it. Conceding now is really stupid, its closing the window while the window was wide fucking open.

Kevin Martin is a scrub. Jeremy Lamb might be great but they are done for this year. I hope it was worth it for Bennett, blowing it up because you couldn't pony up some extra cash for a championship contending team.

masud

Banned
They gave up 2 first rounders - Mavs pick is top 20 protected and the Raptors pick is protected as well. For James Harden that is not a whole lot.

And OKC was trying to chip this year and they had a good chance of doing it. Conceding now is really stupid, its closing the window while the window was wide fucking open.

Kevin Martin is a scrub. Jeremy Lamb might be great but they are done for this year. I hope it was worth it for Bennett, blowing it up because you couldn't pony up some extra cash for a championship contending team.

I was incuding Lamb as one of the picks. And if they had good chance of chipping this year (they didn't) then they still have a pretty good chance now (they don't).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The dropoff from Harden to Martin/Lamb is huge, at least for this year. They are done now. I thought blowing it up was incredibly immature, the Lakers on paper could be juggernauts but who knows if it works out that way in real life and there is a long time to go from now until the playoffs where any amount of things can happen. The Thunder aren't a team built solely for the future, they were a team built for now and it honestly feels like they're wasting it. Jeremy Lamb better be something special or they're screwed.

KingGondo

Banned
I hope it was worth it for Bennett, blowing it up because you couldn't pony up some extra cash for a championship contending team.
1) This is still a potential championship squad, and Presti is almost certainly not done making deals.

2) Bennett offered our third-best player about $55 million over 4 years, and James opted not to take it. I'm sure Harden knew that turning it down meant being traded, and he was OK with that.

Nobody is to blame. It just didn't work out.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Also not sure where this narrative on Houston being terrible is coming from. They've had 6 straight winning seasons. They aren't the Kings or the Bobcats. They haven't been terrible before and they won't be this year either. Not sure about the playoffs but its a possibility, either way they'll be fun to watch.

Do people realize Martin is used to getting like 15 shots a game , is Eric Gordon bad when it comes to health and shot like 40% from the field last year? He's averaging like 42% from the field over his last 3 seasons.

There's zero shot they can beat Miami with this deal. So they basically conceded the season. There was hope that after experiencing the finals that James could match his regular season numbers with another shot, along with a healthy Maynor and PJIII maybe making up the difference, but there's zero shot that Lamb will be able to do much of anything against the Heat as a rookie in that setting, and it's hard to anticipate just how much worse Martin will be in comparison to James.

Now future wise this move could pay off, but again, this season won't end well imo.

As for the Rockets...still have no idea what their plan is. Lin, Harden, Asik...and if they have another max to give out with the free agent market looking as bad as it does...best case scenario...Aldridge?

Lin, Harden, Parsons, Aldridge, Asik.

Yea they are going to middling for like a decade. Sorry Smokey.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Do people realize Martin is used to getting like 15 shots a game , is Eric Gordon bad when it comes to health and shot like 40% from the field last year? He's averaging like 42% from the field over his last 3 seasons.

There's zero shot they can beat Miami with this deal. So they basically conceded the season. There was hope that after experiencing the finals that James could match his regular season numbers with another shot, along with a healthy Maynor and PJIII maybe making up the difference, but there's zero shot that Lamb will be able to do much of anything against the Heat as a rookie in that setting, and it's hard to anticipate just how much worse Martin will be in comparison to James.

Now future wise this move could pay off, but again, this season won't end well imo.

As for the Rockets...still have no idea what their plan is. Lin, Harden, Asik...and if they have another max to give out with the free agent market looking as bad as it does...best case scenario...Aldridge?

Whoa

Harden, Parsons, Asik, and LMA is damned good.

You just named off some of the most underrated players in the league.

I don't get the "Martin will flourish in a smaller role" comments...His role has already been pretty small for Houston in the last couple years (playing the third option to Scola+Lowry/Dragic and with pretty small minutes) and that's made him worse. He got benched frequently last year and the Rockets were better with him injured than with him playing as well.

masud

Banned
So Harden's become the key to beating the Heat now? Do yall remember the finals? (Lets just forget about the Lakers and their 4 hall of famers)

Replacing their 6th man with Martin, Lamb (and Maynor) doesn't really make them worse.

I don't get the "Martin will flourish in a smaller role" comments...His role has already been pretty small for Houston in the last couple years (playing the third option to Scola+Lowry/Dragic and with pretty small minutes) and that's made him worse. He got benched frequently last year and the Rockets were better with him injured than with him playing as well.

Martin may be able to flourish in a smaller role, even if he doesn't that's a 13 mil expiring contract.

Could you imagine if the Raps send OKC the 4th pick next year? Shit would be unfair.

KingGondo

Banned
Martin is a bandaid to try and reduce the impact of Harden's loss, and then he's trade-bait at the deadline. Nothing more.

As long as Maynor and Jackson play well, all we really need Martin to do is shoot well and draw fouls.

So Harden's become the key to beating the Heat now? Do yall remember the finals? (Lets just forget about the Lakers and their 4 hall of famers)

Replacing their 6th man with Martin, Lamb (and Maynor) doesn't really make them worse.

They lose to the Lakers or Spurs without Harden last year. Martin is garbage and has made no impact on the lottery teams he's played on (nearly impossible for NBA players), the Thunder were a terrible offensive team without Harden in the game last year.

Could you imagine if the Raps send OKC the 4th pick next year? Shit would be unfair.

The Raptors have an alright team this year and this draft looks pretty shitty though.

Whoa

Harden, Parsons, Asik, and LMA is damned good.

You just named off some of the most underrated players in the league.

Yea they'll be playoff bound but doubt they chip with that roster. The Atlanta Hawks of the West.

Martin is a bandaid to try and reduce the impact of Harden's loss, and then he's trade-bait at the deadline. Nothing more.

As long as Maynor and Jackson play well, all we really need Martin to do is shoot well and draw fouls.

Martin hasn't really shot well for like 4 years now. He has drawn fouls though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

That team would compete for a chip.

The one thing I've learned from last night is that James Harden is apparently massively underrated. He was the 7th best player in the league on iso plays, 9th best player on PnR, and the best player in the league overall when he got the ball off screens. He made his team better on both ends of the court when he played. He was a max player, regardless if he was a "sixth man" or not.

Yeah he shit the bed against the Heat, but they don't make it that far without him to begin with. Dumping a guy because he struggled in one playoff series is moronic. Thats like saying the Heat should have blown it up after their big 3 struggled in the finals against the Mavs.

What?

OKC had the perfect recipe to beat LA. That series last year with the Heat could have been alot different if Harden showed up.

This issue came down soley to the fact that OKC either couldn't afford or simply didn't want to pay the tax penalties. All this scared off the lakers/heat talk is for clowns..

I'd rather be a terrible team who will compete for a top 3 pick over the next few years than Houston. Houston has been a consistent winning squad without a shot in hell of being an elite team. This move isnt changing that. In the NBA the worst thing is to be a consistently mediocre team and thats what the Rockets have been and will continue to be even with Harden.

That team would compete for a chip.

The one thing I've learned from last night is that James Harden is apparently massively underrated. He was the 7th best player in the league on iso plays, 9th best player on PnR, and the best player in the league overall when he got the ball off screens. He made his team better on both ends of the court when he played. He was a max player, regardless if he was a "sixth man" or not.

Couple of things.

1. Harden has only shot this well THIS season, for what was essentially a contract year for him. Keeping up that level of efficiency is going to be very close to impossible. But I'm projecting he comes close.

2. I'm projecting around 25-26 PPG, 5, and 5 as a 1st option. So I'm not underrating him.

3. Depends on your definition of "competing for a chip." A core of Kobe, Pau, Bynum was a better core than Harden, Aldridge, Asik offensively, and it's debatable defensively but I'll give the advantage to the Rockets. Even so, the Lakers had no shot at doing much in the finals and didn't make the WCF. I think those hypothetical Rockets aren't as good as that Lakers team, so that's my logic.

And I actually think Morey should be fired. They shouldn't have even gotten Lin or Asik. They should have tried to tanked for Bazz this year and any of the studs in 2014, then paid whatever maxes they wanted for guys like Love.

Teams should tank when possible. Look at the Vikings. Could have guaranteed themselves Griffin III.

When people talk about Harden it's like they're talking about some 29 year old

Guy is only 23 and is already a pretty good player; he'll only get better.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Yea they'll be playoff bound but doubt they chip with that roster. The Atlanta Hawks of the West.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Realistically, only a handful of teams have a chance at the title every year. It shouldn't stop the rest of the league from trying to put a decent product on the floor.

The long road back to respectability has taught me this valuable lesson: I'd rather win 50 every year and get bounced in the playoffs than not go at all.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Couple of things.

1. Harden has only shot this well THIS season, for what was essentially a contract year for him. Keeping up that level of efficiency is going to be very close to impossible. But I'm projecting he comes close.

2. I'm projecting around 25-26 PPG, 5, and 5 as a 1st option. So I'm not underrating him.

3. Depends on your definition of "competing for a chip." A core of Kobe, Pau, Bynum was a better core than Harden, Aldridge, Asik offensively, and it's debatable defensively but I'll give the advantage to the Rockets. Even so, the Lakers had no shot at doing much in the finals and didn't make the WCF. I think those hypothetical Rockets aren't as good as that Lakers team, so that's my logic.

And I actually think Morey should be fired. They shouldn't have even gotten Lin or Asik. They should have tried to tanked for Bazz this year and any of the studs in 2014, then paid whatever maxes they wanted for guys like Love.

Teams should tank when possible. Look at the Vikings. Could have guaranteed themselves Griffin III.

I agree that Lakers team right now is better but how much longer is it going to last? Kobe is old as shit, Pau is 32 himself. Getting a guy like Harden makes your team better now but also sets your team up for success and something to build on for the future.

Everybody talks about what the Thunder got to build for the future in a couple of picks and Lamb, but honestly I think the Rockets themselves got the better piece to work with for the future.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I'd rather be a terrible team who will compete for a top 3 pick over the next few years than Houston. Houston has been a consistent winning squad without a shot in hell of being an elite team. This move isnt changing that. In the NBA the worst thing is to be a consistently mediocre team and thats what the Rockets have been and will continue to be even with Harden.

Spoken like a man that's never gone through a 15 win season.

I agree that Lakers team right now is better but how much longer is it going to last? Kobe is old as shit, Pau is 32 himself. Getting a guy like Harden makes your team better now but also sets your team up for success and something to build on for the future.

Everybody talks about what the Thunder got to build for the future in a couple of picks and Lamb, but honestly I think the Rockets themselves got the better piece to work with for the future.

LMA isnt making them championship level for one. The only way to become a true champ in this league is with an MVP player (ignoring the one time it wasnt needed recently in 2004). Harden is good but not that good. The Rockets have locked themselves out from drafting said player and they wont be signing said player either. That is why this isnt going to be a game changer.

masud

Banned
They lose to the Lakers or Spurs without Harden last year. Martin is garbage and has made no impact on the lottery teams he's played on (nearly impossible for NBA players), the Thunder were a terrible offensive team without Harden in the game last year.

The Raptors have an alright team this year and this draft looks pretty shitty though.

I agree about the Spurs, but that doesn't matter. The Heat were going to widen the gap and the Lakers were going to move ahead of OKC with or without Harden. They made a smart move here. Lets not forget that Martins contract can get them something good this year. Also, I think the Raptors pick is after next season, hows that draft?

Spoken like a man that's never gone through a 15 win season.
I've been through one and I agree. No way in hell am I going out of my way to give harden a 80million dollar contract. Especially not as my number one option.
I agree about the Spurs, but that doesn't matter. The Heat were going to widen the gap and the Lakers were going to move ahead of OKC with or without Harden. They made a smart move here. Lets not forget that Martins contract can get them something good this year. I think the Raptors pick is after next season, hows that draft?

Oh please.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lakers add two MVPs and OKC did nothing at all.

That isn't some massive assumption.

Also, Ibaka better be fucking worth it.

squicken

Morey's gamble is that Lin and Harden will be dynamic enough to attract another max contract guy next summer. Everyone should be happy. The Wizard made his move. He's hitched his career to the Harden trade and we'll all know soon enough whether it was worth it. He has always said getting the first star is the hardest part, and he is at least paying Harden like a star. So they better sign another one next offseason

Morey's gamble is that Lin and Harden will be dynamic enough to attract another max contract guy next summer. Everyone should be happy. The Wizard made his move. He's hitched his career to the Harden trade and we'll all know soon enough whether it was worth it. He has always said getting the first star is the hardest part, and he is at least paying Harden like a star. So they better sign another one next offseason

That he is paying Lin what he is is proof enough that he's clueless and shouldnt be allowed to run an NBA team.

Lakers add two MVPs and OKC did nothing at all.

That isn't some massive assumption.

Also, Ibaka better be fucking worth it.

They also have alot of the same weaknesses they had before.

You still beat them pretty much the same way. A team with the athleticism and shooting of OKC still matches up great with them.

The Stealth Fox

Lin's deal isn't that bad considering its backloaded so it'd be a great expiring after 2 years of being paid 5 mil (which is at most what he's worth).

KingGondo

Banned
For those writing off OKC:

We still have Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka.

Our role players like Thabo, Perkins, and Collison are excellent.

Maynor is back, and Reggie Jackson is progressing. PJ3 and Lamb have top-5 talent.

And we still have cap flexibility and the ability to make more moves to improve.

Tom Penny

For those writing off OKC:

We still have Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka.

Our role players like Thabo, Perkins, and Collison are excellent.

Maynor is back, and Reggie Jackson is progressing. PJ3 and Lamb have top-5 talent.

And we still have cap flexibility and the ability to make more moves to improve.

They are still good but Martin and Westbrook is scary...and not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom